Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great Salt Lake Nationals Roll Call!
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
b2
Less than 2 weeks away for the Great Salt Lake Nationals in beautiful, scenic Utah!

I just pre-registered myself (36-40i and cruiser) and my 6i.

It's going to be a good one! Make a holiday of it! smile.gif
mojospops
We'll be there

My 14x and a slew of other Colorado riders
Thumperpilot
Should be a another great event. We're into the second half of the ABA PRO Series points and some great battles are shaping up. The Great Salt Lake nationals is also a UCI Cat 3 points. It's the only Cat 3 in North America and the only UCI event with more points is the September Chula Vista SX event. Should be a biggie and you can expect to see many, many AA/Elites in da house for this one!

There's still plenty of time to pre-sign as well.

GSL National!

Hope to se everyone there!

joker75
Just waiting to make sure Isurvive this weeks race before pre-signing.

I'll be racing 28-35 Nervous and my son will be racing 11X.

This will be my first National. Should be a blast.
Onza
Im in! 36-40I
b2
QUOTE (Onza @ Jun 22 2010, 02:25 PM) *
Im in! 36-40I

For real!?!? I thought you weren't going to be able to make it!
sxebmx
There are no cheap flights that weekend.
Onza
QUOTE (specialb @ Jun 22 2010, 02:30 PM) *
For real!?!? I thought you weren't going to be able to make it!

Yep I'm pretty sure I'll be there. Do your sprints bagger!
b2
QUOTE (Onza @ Jun 22 2010, 02:57 PM) *
Yep I'm pretty sure I'll be there. Do your sprints bagger!

It's ON like Donkey Kong!!! wink.gif

It will be good to see you again! Do I need to supply the PBR?

QUOTE (sxebmx @ Jun 22 2010, 02:52 PM) *
There are no cheap flights that weekend.

From where?
Roynuts
Im in ! 36-40 cruiser and 20.
Cant wait to see some old friends and kick their arse!!! smile.gif
Bringing the lil' grom too. 19 girls.
Shannon, you gonna trust me and Valencia with the Friday night race?
Tobylicious
Im In 36/40 20" with my little guy 5X
nag6rider
cool.gif first 15 x race i will be there cool.gif
RobertRiofrio
T. Hoff and I well be there. Well that is if I don't leave Tony somewhere on the side of the road between Fresno and Utah.
b2
TheRig™ is here:
sspencer
Also dont forget the 5th annual ABA Great Salt Lake Golf-A-Rama hosted by GT Bicycles going down on Thursday morning before the national. So far there are a few hackers already signed up:

Eric "Big Daddy" Rupe
Mike "365" Day
Bernie U
John "ABA Big Wig" David
Dan "The Photo Man" Mooney
along with several local duffers who will be in the mix.

If you are interested in attending please PM me so I can get you on the list.

Good times to be had so dont miss out!
Steve
Thumperpilot
For Immediate Release

Prestigious UCI Continental Championship Taking place at the American Bicycle Association Great Salt Lake Nationals

June 24, 2010 – Gilbert, Arizona

The American Bicycle Association (ABA) is returning to South Jordan, Utah, and Rad Canyon BMX, July 2-4, 2010, for the 14th consecutive year of the Great Salt Lake Nationals. This year the bicycle motocross race has even more significance than years past as it carries the International Cycling Union (UCI) category 3 points status. There is only one race in the United States this year that carries more point value and that is a BMX Supercross race, also ran by the ABA, to be held at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, California, this September.

The International Cycling Union (UCI) is cycling’s International Federation recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and administers and promotes the development of the eight disciplines of cycling, including BMX. Qualifications spots for each Nation in the Olympic Games in the discipline of BMX are determined by the UCI. The rankings by nation are determined by the position of the three best male and three female riders from each nation in the UCI BMX ranking. Each event has a point value with the lower numbered category races carrying more weight. For the current calendar year there are 71 UCI BMX races with only six races having a higher point value and only three with equal value to the July 3rd race.

Olympic BMX racers from the 2008 Beijing Games from around the globe will be in attendance at the event. 13 of the 32 male BMX racers who competed in the inaugural BMX event in Beijing are also in contention for the coveted ABA #1 Pro Title. Olympic Gold Medalist Maris Stombergs (LAT), Cristian Becirine (ARG) Arturs Matisons (LAT), Robert de Wilde (NED), Raymon van der Biezen (NED), Ramiro Marino (ARG), Sifiso Nhlapo (RSA), Jared Graves (AUS), Marc Willers (NZL), Liam Phillips (GBR), Kyle Bennett (USA), Olympic Bronze Medalist Donny Robinson (USA), and Olympic Silver Medalist Mike Day (USA), are all Olympians who have raced previous ABA events. Sarah Walker (NZL), Sammy Cools (CAN), and Shanaze Reade (GBR), are 3 of the 16 female Olympians who have been in attendance at previous ABA events in 2010.

In addition to the top pros in the World, the event will draw some of the fastest and up and coming amateurs from around the United States and Canada. These riders range in age from 4 to 76 and will be racing to amass points for titles in their age classes and the highly coveted ABA #1 amateur title. It is anticipated that the weekend will see over 1,000 racers each day, attracting thousands of fans and spectators to the Rad Canyon BMX facility.

Action for the weekend gets started on Friday with registration and practice taking place from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Racing on Friday will begin at 6:00 p.m. Saturday gets started with registration and practice beginning at 7:30 a.m. and racing beginning at 11:30 a.m. Sunday, the gates open at 7:00 a.m. and racing begins at 8:00 a.m. A day parking pass is $10 and a weekend parking pass is $20, there is no admission charge. The pro practice will take place from 5:00 to 5:40 p.m. on Friday and 10:30 to 11:00 a.m. on Saturday.

RAD Canyon BMX is a Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation facility, and American Bicycle Association sanctioned BMX race track. The track is located in South Jordan, UT @ approximately 5200 West 9800 South (4 blocks south of Old Bingham Hwy on 5200 West). This family friendly facility is equipped with bleachers, rest rooms and a snack bar. The normal outdoor schedule runs from May thru September. There is open practice on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Race nights are Thursday, with registration from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. and racing beginning around 7:15 p.m. For more information on Rad Canyon BMX, visit http://www.radcanyonbmx.com .

About the American Bicycle Association

ABA (American Bicycle Association), formed in 1977 and headquartered in Chandler, Arizona is “The Sanctioning Body of BMX”©. The ABA organizes BMX racing for boys, girls and adults, nationwide and Canada. With 60,000 active members, 274 racing facilities and a 27 event national race schedule, ABA is the largest promoter of action sports.

joker75
And some of the locals even know how to race.

Don't take that as me bragging about myself. I have a hard time making it around most tracks at a decent pace while remaining upright. However I really enjoy watching almost every one of our local races. Everyone from the 5 and under novices that could probably run me into the ground if given the chance, to the 28+ Expert class that can finish their race before I finish the first straight.

See TP, B2, Chris Clift, Kevin Dilley, Jonas Harmon, Steve Spencer, World Champion Heather Elliot and host of others that I don't have time to list and you'll understand why our younger riders are as fast as they are. Rad Canyon has an excellent program that challenges our children and keeps us adults involved in a great sport, and a great place to meet some of the kindest most sincere people I know.

I hope that you all have as much fun at the GSL Nationals as I have every week when I get to race on this and the other kick a$$ tracks Utah has to offer.
b2
QUOTE (Thumperpilot @ Jun 23 2010, 04:12 PM) *
For Immediate Release

Prestigious UCI Continental Championship Taking place at the American Bicycle Association Great Salt Lake Nationals....

Has this been distributed to local media, Shannon? I have a friend who's at the biggest local (NBC) affiliate. Maybe we can get some press...
Thumperpilot
I believe so, we sent it to our contact with Utha Sports Commission. He said he would handle it. Never hurts to hit them twice though. Soooo, please feel free to hit your buddy at NBC for me. wink.gif
b2
QUOTE (Thumperpilot @ Jun 23 2010, 09:52 PM) *
I believe so, we sent it to our contact with Utha Sports Commission. He said he would handle it. Never hurts to hit them twice though. Soooo, please feel free to hit your buddy at NBC for me. wink.gif

Lori
Excited to be back at a race and to see my wandering daughter!
Wayne_McCabe
There will be some old guys from Colorado coming... However, I am not coming unless Jeff Study plays fare and Archibald washes his jersey every night.
Finch
Come on Wayne....................it won't be the same without you wink.gif
Proctor
Jr and the family will be there.
Frist 15x class race for him.

Proctor
snickadams
QUOTE (Proctor @ Jun 24 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Jr and the family will be there.
Frist 15x class race for him.

Proctor

Glad he is healed up! See you in SLC.
b2
Did I hear there's a Supercamp on Thursday, July 1? Why yes, yes I did!
Proctor
Nick, are the boys making the trip with you or solo working man?
Can't wait for Salk Lake, My third favorite National of the year, next to Reno and Roseville, they are just close. biggrin.gif

Proctor

QUOTE (snickadams @ Jun 24 2010, 06:12 PM) *
Glad he is healed up! See you in SLC.

jeff study
QUOTE (Wayne_McCabe @ Jun 24 2010, 03:44 PM) *
There will be some old guys from Colorado coming... However, I am not coming unless Jeff Study plays fare and Archibald washes his jersey every night.

You know I'd pay your way Wayne but good luck getting Archie to wash his jersey every night. That's where his power comes from.
Wayne_McCabe
QUOTE (jeff study @ Jun 25 2010, 12:51 PM) *
You know I'd pay your way Wayne but good luck getting Archie to wash his jersey every night. That's where his power comes from.

Jeff, I don't need you to pay my way, just play fare :-) so I can make the main. However, since this last post, it looks like I am about 90% sure not coming (first time since 2003). BTW, if your family needs a place to crash on your way to the Nebraska national, Littleton is about 1/2 way, you guys are more than welcome.
mackdaddy
I am 50/50 on whether I will get to race my hometown national worried_anim.gif ( family health problems) but we shall see. Hope and pray I will! If so it will be 20 and cruiser!
Melton
b2
QUOTE (mackdaddy @ Jun 25 2010, 05:09 PM) *
I am 50/50 on whether I will get to race my hometown national worried_anim.gif ( family health problems) but we shall see. Hope and pray I will! If so it will be 20 and cruiser!
Melton

dooood! the way you rode last night, i really hope you can make it!
b2
I don't you don't go getting buried!... ahem, BUMP!
sxebmx
Just booked a ticket. ESPN will be there.
J Gallo

Thumperpilot
Sweet shot Gallo!
Wayne_McCabe
Going afterall. Loading up in a few to go meet at Ray & Joey's house. Safe travels to everyone coming out.
J Gallo
Thanks!

That was just a test last night to see what angle(s) worked best. Hoping to get a better shot on Sunday morning with all the banners up in the morning light. Maybe one late Saturday evening, we'll see.
Proctor
Truck is packed with new team stuff, and ready to roll @ 4:00am. If you know what I am talking about, KEEP YOUR MOUTH STUTT till this weekend. wink.gif .

Proctor
sxebmx
My flight eaves in 14 hours, I have to be awake in 2 hours.... Happy Canada Day!
Thumperpilot
QUOTE (Proctor @ Jul 2 2010, 08:46 AM) *
Truck is packed with new team stuff, and ready to roll @ 4:00am. If you know what I am talking about, KEEP YOUR MOUTH STUTT till this weekend. wink.gif .

Proctor

I saw your new Jersey for the kid Proctor. John David's has it for you. I know you're pumped on that one! cool.gif

QUOTE (J Gallo @ Jul 1 2010, 08:15 PM) *
Thanks!

That was just a test last night to see what angle(s) worked best. Hoping to get a better shot on Sunday morning with all the banners up in the morning light. Maybe one late Saturday evening, we'll see.

Saturday evening would be SWEET!
Thumperpilot
73 SUPER WINDY motos tonight at SLC!
Mike Fields
SHould be about 170 - 175 motos tomorrow. Tons of Elites in da house!

Weather reports allegedly suggest 15 degrees cooler tomorrow and less/no wind... AWESOME if true.

First time I've been to this race in 8 -10 years when I could hardly see the mountains for the dust/air driving East from the track back to I-15. The wind was relentless today.

Mike Day in the house in dire need of a haircut but smiling and moving well. Hope he's good.

Pete D in the house smiling and also in great spirits.

dr laying it down on the track. Siphiso looking good as was Long and Herman looked like someone put an M-80 in his shorts. Elite will be fun tomorrow.
bnd
The wind is now gone & it's a beautiful evening. Weather report is for the highs to be in the low 80's & mostly sunny. Couldn't ask for better weather!

I am leaving for Wyoming tomorrow morning but will be checking in here for race reports........ smile.gif

b.
Mike Fields
Got your back bnd - will post throughout the day tomorrow.

Keeps me entertained and after all - it is the inaguaral Continental Championship!
MikeCarruth

Posted a brief on News...don't forget to check out both BMXNEWS and BMXNOW this weekend for words and pics, and follow "bmxnow" on Twitter. LOL... on reading it, I should have compared notes with the other Mike. biggrin.gif

Looking for some chow then some sleep (maybe not in that order).

Best,

M
mannequinforce
Good luck to Tony Hoffman!
Wayne_McCabe
Yesterday's practice was a windfest, 26 & over cruiser practice seemed light in count but not depth. I had to come out to a national this year to see for myself how fast our 41-45 class has gotten, I have now been enlightened. It should be a fun weekeend with Parry, Reinhold, Swanson, Porter, Coover, Raymonde, Elliot, Spencer, Melton and the locals (faster than last time I have raced them). Archilbald changed plans at last moment so will not be in attendance. 36-40 should be fun to watch with Luscombe, Starks, and Roper. Also, Jeff Study also will not be attendance, really bummed about that, always like to see him and his family.
Today is going to be an awesome day. The Pro races are going to be exciting.....
Thumperpilot
Wayne, you need throw Roybal in te mix for 36-40 as well. He's been owning it this season. I think Riofrio has somethn' for him this weekend though. wink.gif
bnd
Speaking of locals Wayne, keep an eye on 41-45 & 41+X Team Extreme rider Chris Clift. He owns the gate & 1st straight in our respective classes now.

Good luck!

b.
b2
It sure looks to be a beautiful day today! Great day for some BMX racing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.