Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NBL points from years past
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
DaveR
Does anyone know of a site or link that you can look up previous years point standings, state , national and W.O.S. races
Popeye
I don't know of a site but being the hoarder that I am, I have all the BT's since 1981 and several from 1979 and 1980. I rarely have the time to look through them but sometimes I can make the time.

What are you looking for?
DaveR
QUOTE (Popeye @ May 5 2010, 06:26 PM) *
I don't know of a site but being the hoarder that I am, I have all the BT's since 1981 and several from 1979 and 1980. I rarely have the time to look through them but sometimes I can make the time.

What are you looking for?

1987 W.O.S. Thanksgiving spectacular in Harrisburg PA. and 1986 final state point standings
panda6
popeye, how about 1981 end of year 15x? can't remember the top ten.
Popeye
QUOTE (panda6 @ May 5 2010, 10:33 PM) *
popeye, how about 1981 end of year 15x? can't remember the top ten.

I don't have a mag that they were printed in. The May 1982 Bicycles Today did have the 1981 NBA end of year points posted in it. The 15 year old class was:
1. Andy Zirzow
2. Mark Bush
3. Mike Dalton
4. Peter Loncarevich
5. Travis Chripers ?(that's how it is spelled in mag)
6. Mike Aquilera
7. Charlie Williams
8. Devlin Osburn
9. John Cox
10. Alan Monroe
panda6
Popeye, was that 15x for '81 NBL? I recognize many of the names but don't remember them in the top 10 for '81 season national plates. Mike Poulsen, Paul the goose, Rich Zagars, Dave Marrietti (sure it didn't spell any of those right) should have been the crowd. Your list must be total points, not WOS national ranking. Thks Tim
Popeye
QUOTE (DaveR @ May 5 2010, 08:23 PM) *
1987 W.O.S. Thanksgiving spectacular in Harrisburg PA. and 1986 final state point standings

These pages won't fit on my scanner, can you be more specific as to what you want to see?
Popeye
QUOTE (panda6 @ May 17 2010, 10:44 PM) *
Popeye, was that 15x for '81 NBL? I recognize many of the names but don't remember them in the top 10 for '81 season national plates. Mike Poulsen, Paul the goose, Rich Zagars, Dave Marrietti (sure it didn't spell any of those right) should have been the crowd. Your list must be total points, not WOS national ranking. Thks Tim

Those were NBA final standings. After the NBL absorbed the NBA, it was agreed that they would print these results. The NBA was set up by age class only I believe. Not really sure what those points were for as I never raced NBA.
Popeye
QUOTE (DaveR @ May 5 2010, 08:23 PM) *

Ok you owe me one on this one. biggrin.gif
1987 W.O.S. Thanksgiving race coverage in Bicycles Today

Pages so big I had to scan each half and stich them back together. Props to the guys that scan the other mags.
Popeye
Ok you asked for the 1986 final state points standings. Since you also asked for the Pa. race I'm gonna go out on a limb and post the list from Pa.
Starts on p42 and covers entire p43.

DaveR
QUOTE (Popeye @ May 18 2010, 03:43 PM) *
Ok you owe me one on this one. biggrin.gif
1987 W.O.S. Thanksgiving race coverage in Bicycles Today

Pages so big I had to scan each half and stich them back together. Props to the guys that scan the other mags.

DaveR
Thanks Popeye!! I am actually from NH . The Thanks giving race was the only time I made my main at a National 16 Cruiser I went through tons of my own to try to find that paper that was a big help. I am trying to print the results and frame it , a nostalgic type thing,lol. The other was the 1986 final state standing for NH. If you are interested in parting with the paper let me know i would definately be interested!!! thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Popeye
My very first nationals that I raced in were the Claremont and Derry NH. nationals in 1982.
I'll post those NH. results but I'm not sure I want to part with the mag.
2bmxers
That's pretty cool to go back all of those years and see names that are still racing today like Raul Gomez and Percy Owens who might I say cleaned up n the 12X Class and 12-13 Open.
Popeye
1986 New Hampshire end of year NBL points

DHennet
[quote name='Popeye' date='May 18 2010, 06:03 PM' post='979201']
Ok you asked for the 1986 final state points standings. Since you also asked for the Pa. race I'm gonna go out on a limb and post the list from Pa.
Starts on p42 and covers entire p43.

Popeye you made my day! Page 43, ranked 728th in the state. Thanks for the flashback! Ethan will get a kick out of that.

Thanks.
Dan
daveolear
QUOTE (Popeye @ May 18 2010, 06:12 PM) *
My very first nationals that I raced in were the Claremont and Derry NH. nationals in 1982.
I'll post those NH. results but I'm not sure I want to part with the mag.

I was at Derry and Claremont War Of The Stars in June 82, at Derry I got 2nd in 14 over open and 4th in 17 x, did we race each other?
Popeye
QUOTE (daveolear @ May 19 2010, 05:55 PM) *
I was at Derry and Claremont War Of The Stars in June 82, at Derry I got 2nd in 14 over open and 4th in 17 x, did we race each other?

We were in the same class as I was 17 then and raced expert and open. Now what I was doing might not have been called racing so much as up-close track inspections.
At Claremont, I remember following Bubba Hayes around the track for second in an open moto. I wrecked in the other two. In expert, I followed a super fast guy named Henderson Cho around the track but wrecked in the last moto. 6 motos, 3 crashes for day one.
At Derry, things are a little more fuzzy. I also wrecked three times that day too. Things I do remember from that day were that the water tank/tower made these really cool noises when you threw rocks at it. Kathy Satchel(?), riding for Shimano, beat me out of the gate during practice. I remember being in third place in a moto and thinking I am going to dive into the next turn, right after this next roller, and take second. Then I remember thinking, "How did all these people get on top of me (kinda like a camera on the ground in a football huddle) and why are they trying to take my helmet off"? I jumped up, told them I'm OK and took off thinking I might be able to catch at least one guy. When I got to the finish line I knew something was wrong because my mom was there. She asked me if I was alright. I said "Yea, No problem, I guess I just wrecked and got back up".
Then she told me no you didn't, you were laying on the ground for over 3 minutes not moving. Long enough for my friend to get my mom out of her car where she was reading a book and for her to run to the finish line. The other thing I remember was a rider in my moto came up to me then. It was a big guy named Jumpin John Jupin (It was on his helmet) from Fl. He said my crash was "narley" and that he never saw anyone land on their head with both hands and both feet still on the bike. Thus was the reason I did not remember anything else from that day. Had a headache for two days after that. 12 motos total and 6 crashes (3 of which I don't remember) and I could not wait to get to the next national.
daveolear
I mustve wrecked with you Saturday at Claremont because I cant remember anything about that track or even if I was there, but I was, did it have a steep downhill start? Derry is very clear though, I can still see the whole track and can still see the "Farside" written on the back of that Diamondback guy as I followed him to get 2nd in 14 over open, the crash you took might have been over the step jump heading into the last turn, it was a 4 footer with a steep face like a wall, you had to kind of bunny hop while hoping your rear wheel wouldnt get kicked up too high and make sure your front wheel didnt get caught on the second step, I have a photo of me going over it, I'll post it here within a week, might jog your memory, ha, I remember John Jupin by name but not by face, a few weeks later I went to 2 more WOS in NJ, Howell was one, Fleming (?) was the other, I was leading a semi at Howell but lost it in the first turn, still makes me mad, went to the NBL grands in Pittsburg in early Sept, made the semi, my last race ever, if I recall we had to race 5 WOS to qualify for the Grands, did you go to Pittsburg??
Popeye
What I remember from Claremont was that it was a cloudy day and I think it sprinkled a little. I locked the keys in the trunk of my mom's car so she was not all that happy with me for a while. rolleyes.gif

Don't remember the hill but do remember that the first turn went to the left, there was a set of 4 moonwalkers in a straight before the next to last turn. The next to last straight had a triple step jump. There was a bike shop on that same side of track about 300 yards away. The last straight had a tall jump that I was still on when Henderson Cho was crossing the finish. That was the same jump I wrecked on and broke my favorite Cinelli seat. Lucky for me that bike shop had one it stock.

I did not go to my next national till May of '83 at my home track of Hampton Va.
daveolear
QUOTE (daveolear @ May 19 2010, 09:08 PM) *
....the crash you took might have been over the step jump heading into the last turn, it was a 4 footer with a steep face like a wall, you had to kind of bunny hop while hoping your rear wheel wouldnt get kicked up too high and make sure your front wheel didnt get caught on the second step, I have a photo of me going over it, I'll post it here within a week, might jog your memory.....

For Popeye, This is me on the step jump at the Derry NH June 1982 National, this is where you might have crashed, excuse my number plate, left it home and had to improvise. Dave

Popeye
Have you got a pic about 3 seconds later after this one?

You are not gonna believe this, but that is me right behind you. I don't remember wearing my Hampton Schwinn jersey but I know that protec helmet with the JT rockguard and those MXL gloves. I also remember those goggles were knocked off when I crashed.
Yep that is definately me! Maybe that is Jupin right behind us.

That is so Cool. Thanks Dave!
daveolear
QUOTE (Popeye @ May 24 2010, 08:13 PM) *
You are not gonna believe this, but that is me right behind you.

You've got to be kidding me, life comes full circle, nice to meet ya, Dave
Popeye
Now your picture from Derry is mine too!

Nice to meet you too!
James "Popeye" Mertens
daveolear
I'll email you a 500kb version if you want, it's much clearer. Dave
Popeye
That would be awesome! Thank you very much.

Popeyethebmxracr@aol.com
daveolear
QUOTE (Popeye @ May 5 2010, 03:26 PM) *
I have all the BT's since 1981...

Popeye, I'd like to get a copy of the results from that Derry NH WOS we were talking about, it was 6/27/82, might you have it? Thanks, Dave
knightsofnii
QUOTE (daveolear @ Jul 6 2010, 02:41 PM) *
Popeye, I'd like to get a copy of the results from that Derry NH WOS we were talking about, it was 6/27/82, might you have it? Thanks, Dave

Popeye, I'd be curious about 1986 WOS results, northeast ones like Cool-tool NY, South Park PA, Trumbull CT, Howell NJ? (might be regionals), and 86 Grands/final natl standings. I cant remember where else I raced nats in 86. Either way I appreciate you posting what has already been posted, saw some old names I've raced in the past.
Popeye
Hey guys, I have been racing out of town a lot lately and have had very little free time when I have been home. I will do my best to get those up for you both, but it might be a little while till I can get to it.
oubmx2
Cant wait to see these! Especially South Park! Anyone have videos of these let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!
MidschoolFool
Thanks 'Popeye' for the scans cool.gif nothing like looking at a old BT!
The new BT's need to take notes from the old issues a lot more work was put into the older ones! Even the 90's were 100% better then the ones I have been getting for the past 2 seasons wish they still posted the state points wink.gif !
I can't wait till the new ones come in the mail this online only for the time being is crap!
But im happy they found a new printer for less $$$$
PhillyRacer34
popeye, thanks a bunch. Can i ask you to post the Harrisburg Article from the following two years as well? That would be so cool to show my 8 year old who is going to his first race this weekend.
Thanks in advance...
240 + riders
popeye, wnen you get the time,i was trying to get my old nbl serial number ,if you could look in an old bicycles today ,back in 1984 or 83 pennsylvania cruiser district points ,kent gordy ,i believe it ends in ...37,i know i don't have a life ,and to much time to think about such superfluous stuff,your help is greatly appreciated
240 + riders
bump
Popeye
Hey Kent, The NBL did not print the NBL numbers in the points lists untill 1986. I haven't had much free time lately. Did you race with the old number during or after the 1986 season?

I still have hopes of getting to the other requests. I have been spending all the free time I have trying to keep up with what is going on on the NBL thread. It's making my head spin.
MidschoolFool
Found 2 old BT's at the link below
http://oldschoolmags.com/Bicycles_Today.html
from oldschoolmags.com!
Such a great site. tongue.gif

I found a lot of old points on there.
Mark 'Gonzo' Summers
Who knew? Look who is the #1 Texas NBL pro in 1980!
240 + riders
gotcha, popeye thanks anyway,looks like the nbl's new plan might be a good deal for all
pmjarvisvt2011
I raced at Twin State BMX Raceway in Claremont, NH in 1981 under the ABA. Claremont switched to NBL for the 1982 season, which I only raced once. I have 13 photographs from 1981 that a professional photographer shot. The photographer would walk around with a 3-ring binder of photograph prints for parents and racers to purchase. Here is one photograph from the 13. Send an e-mail if you would like to see the remaining 12. Enjoy, Matt.
EricEngle
That shot is great! Please post the rest of them.
pmjarvisvt2011
The photographs are over the 113.12K single upload size, so if anyone would like to see all of the photographs, please send an e-mail to maplestreetestate@yahoo.com and I will send a link to the 12 remaining photographs. If anyone has photographs from Twin State BMX Raceway in Claremont, NH, I would enjoy seeing them. Matt
pmjarvisvt2011
I raced at the Claremont, NH track the entire summer of 1981. At that time it was sanctioned under ABA. I believe it was the first year the track had been in operation. A long track with some small jumps. The track was changed a bit at the end of the track. Used to be a drop-off just before the finish, which I sheared a pedal off and ended up hurting my family jewels. I believe I was riding an old Huffy. My mother bought me a new Schwinn Scrambler, which I raced the entire season, wishing all the time that I had a Schwinn Sting.

Anyways, I came back to race once in 1982. The track had been almost entirely changed. The jumps were huge and the competition more ferious. I remember seeing a guy take that last jump before the finish and sailed off to the left, landing in the tires that surrounded the edge of the track. Man, that was a huge jump and the guy just took off for the sky. What I also remember was that it seemed sort of dangerous to have that jump so close to the overhead finishing bridge. If someone really lost control, they could have slammed right into the overhead section.

Wish I had raced the entire 1982 season. I think the track was in operation for just 1981 and 1982. I could be wrong.

Good memories ...

Matt
mrmpdalton
QUOTE (Popeye @ May 17 2010, 09:34 PM) *
I don't have a mag that they were printed in. The May 1982 Bicycles Today did have the 1981 NBA end of year points posted in it. The 15 year old class was:
1. Andy Zirzow
2. Mark Bush
3. Mike Dalton
4. Peter Loncarevich
5. Travis Chripers ?(that's how it is spelled in mag)
6. Mike Aquilera
7. Charlie Williams
8. Devlin Osburn
9. John Cox
10. Alan Monroe

Hey this is #3 on that list. I think this might be from mid-year. I quit racing shortly after this. Mark Bush went pro half way through the year and so did Zirzow. Pete went pro at the end of the year. Pretty stacked age group with to HOF guys in there.
Bor
Hey Popeye, do you happen to have the 1988 W.O.S. Thanksgiving spectacular in Harrisburg PA? I can't remember if I raced in the '88 or the '89 W.O.S.

Thanks!
Brooksadle
QUOTE (Popeye @ May 18 2010, 09:33 PM) *
1986 New Hampshire end of year NBL points

Thats some fine stuff Dude,thanks for the peek.
RadicalRob
Thanks for posting the Thanksgiving Day Spectacular results! I won that race so it was cool to see my name up there. Here is a picture of the plate they gave me at that race.

maximum85
QUOTE (RadicalRob @ Sep 10 2011, 02:20 PM) *
Thanks for posting the Thanksgiving Day Spectacular results! I won that race so it was cool to see my name up there. Here is a picture of the plate they gave me at that race.

rob,i now proudly own that plate,thanks for putting it up for sale,it is a welcome addition to my collection smile.gif
RadicalRob
QUOTE (maximum85 @ Sep 11 2011, 02:30 PM) *
rob,i now proudly own that plate,thanks for putting it up for sale,it is a welcome addition to my collection smile.gif

I'm glad someone on here got it. It has been sitting forever in my garage and needed a new home. Its kind of cool how things come full circle. I never imagined someone would post the results of that race right after I sell the plate that was given to me for winning the main. I figured that race was long forgotten. I still have the trophy and the T-shirt from that race. My mom had video'd it but I accidentally taped over it when I was young. She still bitches about me doing that..
pmjarvisvt2011
BUMP!!! There must be more NH BMX memories. How about Twin State BMX Raceway in Charlestown, NH and Arrowhead BMX in Claremont, NH???
rlowride
Wanna put up any Ky standings... from like 86-89....

it would be awesome to see some of those....

i love the adds... the bikes, prices.... the parts...

Too cool!!!

thanks for keeping those and posting..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.