Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightest Crank/BB Set up
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Cook Bros Seeker
What is the lightest crank/BB set up for an expert size bike?
ChampionP
Them ones with the holes drilled in 'em.
Cook Bros Seeker
You talking about the custom one of a kind ones that guy made for his kid? If so, then I'll have to add "production" cranks/BB to my question. Lol. I'm just asking because it seems that my son' bike is light everywhere except in the center - he has carbon bars and bombshell forks, but the stock cranks/BB that came with his Ripper, Jr: Truvativ Jr racing. I've picked up expert size bikes - even a stock one light the Redline Flight and they seem lighter throughout to me.
ChampionP
Sorry, I am just a smarta$$ and couldn't resist. biggrin.gif There are so many choices and combos out there it really comes down to doing your own research. I am not sure what cranks/bb came on your son's bike, but the BB should be your first place to look for weight saving on a stock/complete bike. If the cranks have a type of bottom bracket that allows you to use an aftermarket BB, then I would research that first (squaretaper, isis spindle, etc). If your looking for an entire crankset then I would go with a 2 piece hollow spindle like crupi, shimano, etc
paulystx
I was wondering the same, but I think that the Answers used to be the lightest. Now they are being made by Speedline now.
Brandon002
QUOTE (paulystx @ May 3 2010, 10:43 PM) *
I was wondering the same, but I think that the Answers used to be the lightest. Now they are being made by Speedline now.

Yep, made by speedline and labeled as Supercross I believe.

Check out the new redline mini/expert arms, couple those with a ti euro bottom bracket and you have one light crankset.
Jason F.
getting a ti spindle will really lighten it up a lot if its a stock chromoly one.
eabney
Check out Snap cranks, the 130mm weight is 12.3oz and the 175mm weight is 15.1oz.

ea
CoopersDad
QUOTE (Cook Bros Seeker @ May 3 2010, 06:54 PM) *
What is the lightest crank/BB set up for an expert size bike?

Rider weight and ability?
Cook Bros Seeker
QUOTE (CoopersDad @ May 4 2010, 06:13 AM) *
Rider weight and ability?

he's 8 and about to turn Novice; been racing for over 2 yrs and weighs 72 lbs.
mhpbill
I think The FSA carbon cranks with a ti FSA bottom bracket is lite and as stiff as it gets .

Have a set of 165 mm here that I will sell you , not sure what size you would need .
geharrison
Crupi Ti bottom bracket (you will have to find one on eBay or other source as Crupi no longer manufactures them) or the Answer Ti bottom bracket. Couple that to a pair of Speedline (Answer is you look on the bay) crank arms. You won't be disappointed.
irodetoday
All the square taper Cranksets (Answer/Speedline, LDC, Crupi, Snap) coupled with Ti BB's are very close in weight. Although, you can save grams by using the Answer/Speedline with the one piece sprocket(chainring) set up.

Personally, cranks 150mm-165mm I would be looking at the Crupi Rhythm Expert with outbaord bearings......second in line would be the Profile minimags with outbaord bearing set up.
To offset the increased (minimal) crankset weight spec them with some super light weight pedals(thats another post of its own)!
WhoCares
QUOTE (irodetoday @ May 4 2010, 10:17 AM) *
All the square taper Cranksets (Answer/Speedline, LDC, Crupi, Snap) coupled with Ti BB's are very close in weight. Although, you can save grams by using the Answer/Speedline with the one piece sprocket(chainring) set up.

Personally, cranks 150mm-165mm I would be looking at the Crupi Rhythm Expert with outbaord bearings......second in line would be the Profile minimags with outbaord bearing set up.
To offset the increased (minimal) crankset weight spec them with some super light weight pedals(thats another post of its own)!

We had the crupi b.o.b set up and thats heavy, and the mini mag profile I believe is geared more toward smaller kids (not 150-165) we run a crupi TI bottom bracket (had probs with the answer adjustable constantly coming loose) with the ldc cranks. Very happy with this set up.
irodetoday
QUOTE (WhoCares @ May 4 2010, 06:23 PM) *
We had the crupi b.o.b set up and thats heavy, and the mini mag profile I believe is geared more toward smaller kids (not 150-165) we run a crupi TI bottom bracket (had probs with the answer adjustable constantly coming loose) with the ldc cranks. Very happy with this set up.

Your thinking of the Profile Micro mini Crankset 125-145mm Beauties that are probably too small for this kid.... Profile Mini Mags are 145-170mm.

There is a fidget factor with the Answer BB. The loosening is (in my experience) installer error.....the bearing lock rings must be held/pressed/slid completely inward on the spindle before tightening the 3 screws down. This took me 3 months to figure out...haha.
Cook Bros Seeker
QUOTE (mhpbill @ May 4 2010, 01:55 PM) *
I think The FSA carbon cranks with a ti FSA bottom bracket is lite and as stiff as it gets .

Have a set of 165 mm here that I will sell you , not sure what size you would need .

165mm is what I need. He's using 155mm now and I'm going to build up his expert with 165mm,

What about the Ciari cranks I've seen on Dan's Comp?
AmAc
How tall is he? 165's seem awful long for an 8y/o. I would think more along the lines of 150-155. Check out the Crupi website and measure his inseam.
Cook Bros Seeker
QUOTE (AmAc @ May 6 2010, 01:18 AM) *
How tall is he? 165's seem awful long for an 8y/o. I would think more along the lines of 150-155. Check out the Crupi website and measure his inseam.

Your right, I just wanted to know what to buy when I start building up his Podium (expert for next season) - in case I see a good deal on the cranks of choice on ebay or CL. Thanks.
Cook Bros Seeker
Any difference between the FSA carbon cranks for BMX and Mountain bike/road bike?
ChrisAustin
Yes, chain alignment will be harder with a MTB set up.

I have the FSA Carbon Pros with TI BB and I seriously dropped a whole lb off my bike from the Redline Flights I had on.

By far this is the lightest set up in my research.
sandbagger4life
QUOTE (mhpbill @ May 4 2010, 07:55 AM) *

Hey check your messages.........
mhpbill
QUOTE (sandbagger4life @ May 6 2010, 03:57 PM) *
Hey check your messages.........

DId you get me PM ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.