Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: San Pedro, California
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > Everything Else
socaldude
Although I get to make it back once or twice a year, I still miss that damn place. After some comments back and forth with TheGoose, I figured this could make an interesting thread. I know why I love it, let's hear everyone else's experiences in San Pedro. I am, of course, including the surrounding areas like Lomita, Harbor City, Long Beach & Palos Verdes. 'Pedro was my hub, but I'm down with the whole South Bay.
TheGoose
Good call Duane...

I liked that place because it had some nice step up jumps. Those were always good to learn tricks on because of the long hang time. I miss it there, I think there are apartments on it now or something of the sort. We used to cruise to the 7-11 down the street for slurpee's.

How about the small jumps over by the lighthouse in PV. thats where I originally started and met some guys that sent me down to Pedro and from Pedro the guys i met there sent me to sheep hills and from there those guys sent me to twin palms...back then everything was by word of mouth.
90262LeeBMXs
Reminiscing (Mmmmmmm SLURPEES!). I am trying to make it back out to visit my sisters and kids this summer. I intend on taking my bike but I'm not sure yet. Last time I was in Pedro and Wilmington I didn't really see anything still there to ride. I did go out to Redondo but didn't have a bike so I cut out and went to hang with this chick under the pier wink.gif in MB. What's still there? I know Ascot and Alpine have long been forgotton since before I went to the Army, hell, even before I moved to Cerritos.
socaldude
QUOTE (TheGoose @ Apr 29 2010, 11:45 PM) *
Good call Duane...

I liked that place because it had some nice step up jumps. Those were always good to learn tricks on because of the long hang time. I miss it there, I think there are apartments on it now or something of the sort. We used to cruise to the 7-11 down the street for slurpee's.

How about the small jumps over by the lighthouse in PV. thats where I originally started and met some guys that sent me down to Pedro and from Pedro the guys i met there sent me to sheep hills and from there those guys sent me to twin palms...back then everything was by word of mouth.

Goose, I think you're talking about the 5th St. Jumps. That's the one where you had to ride across the street to hit the jumps. I don't think anything has been built there but nobody has maintained them for years. I know there's some newer jumps across from the gas station at 7th and Weymouth. Most of the spots we had are long gone. The fence ride at Bandini St. school is still accessible but I can never work up the nerve to hit it when I'm there. I'm still willing to ride "Muppet Show" (Lucky's wall ride) even after 20 years. It doesn't look as good as it used to and I'm not getting as high but I'll still ride it.
90262LeeBMXs
QUOTE (socaldude @ Apr 30 2010, 01:36 PM) *
Goose, I think you're talking about the 5th St. Jumps. That's the one where you had to ride across the street to hit the jumps. I don't think anything has been built there but nobody has maintained them for years. I know there's some newer jumps across from the gas station at 7th and Weymouth. Most of the spots we had are long gone. The fence ride at Bandini St. school is still accessible but I can never work up the nerve to hit it when I'm there. I'm still willing to ride "Muppet Show" (Lucky's wall ride) even after 20 years. It doesn't look as good as it used to and I'm not getting as high but I'll still ride it.

I guess I'll have to make that a designated stop for me when I come down. Probably in August!
HBPUNK
Not from Pedro but used to race at Channel Street, my first day there I can remember Anthony Sewell and a few other Jag riders tearing the place up.

these days I skate the Channel Street park, Daewon Song is there all the time

lot of good memories racing there as a kid
socalveteran
Hey now!
Harbor BMX was my home track, I preferred it over Ascot. I grew up in Torrance during the early 80's. You might remember a few bike shops like The Bicycle Source, R & P's, & BC (The Bicycle Center). I raced for R & P's in Lomita. I have a hand full of pics from Harbor BMX & I will eventually scan them in. I would DEFINITELY be interested seeing any pics & hearing stories from back then.

Team photo after returning from the 1984 ABA Nationals in Bakersfield CA. (I'm 779)

Oh, I just remembered a sweet spot we used to ride near the Torrance Post Office that was called "Strawberry Fields" it was a really long dirt embankment just east of Madrona Marsh. And you cant forget the awesome dirt jumps across the street from Marineland in PV.

Forgive the awkwardness, Ive never posted before. Ever.

Mike
okibono
I remember checking out alot of those places but didn't get a chance to ride em. I lived in Compton and would hear about these places at Ascot... When did they close the track in Pedro?
socalveteran
QUOTE (okibono @ Nov 28 2010, 07:47 AM) *
I remember checking out alot of those places but didn't get a chance to ride em. I lived in Compton and would hear about these places at Ascot... When did they close the track in Pedro?

Harbor BMX San Pedro
I'm not sure on the exact date it closed, but I think it was between 1986-1987.
(If I'm wrong please correct me.)

After Harbor BMX closed, I stopped racing. The next closest tracks to me were either Ascot (which I NEVER liked, due to poor track maintenance) and one in Orange County (that was to far to go to practice everyday).

Sorry I couldn't give you an exact answer.
dpgirl
well guys i live in pv now and miss the old days.

The pedro track was the bomb. Ascott and alpine village were the closest. Bednorse and turnell all of the old schoolers were around those tracks.

Lee the number is 310 377 1983 if you need a place or a bike next time your hear.

Marineland is now Terrenea Resort. The jumps across street are houses. They have a nature preserve with dh riding or xc. there were jumps and trails but the bird watchers put and end to that.

The chalk fields when we were kids on crest was the gnar at that time. Now it is all 2 million dollar homes.

Street riding from Torrance to elporto is all that is left.
i ride at night because i can session some things but the police have really been on it. They jumped me the other night and asked me why i ride that funny little bike. Almost got arrested when i told him to go get my bike from the bushes where he threw it. Didnt do me any good wearing a dope sweatshirt either cuz at 43 i must be a criminal because i ride a twenty from s&m and wear dope bmx tees. Classic

Anyone ever up to the south bay and looking for a place to crash or ride let me know. The surfing is not so bad either.dopebmx@verizon.net or the phone number listed above.

mike
Rodogg
[quote name='dpgirl' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:51 AM' post='1040656']
i ride at night because i can session some things but the police have really been on it. They jumped me the other night and asked me why i ride that funny little bike. Almost got arrested when i told him to go get my bike from the bushes where he threw it. Didnt do me any good wearing a dope sweatshirt either cuz at 43 i must be a criminal because i ride a twenty from s&m and wear dope bmx tees. Classic

43 and shredding the streets on a 20"!!!!! Bless you!!! if only more older dudes like us still rode. there would be so much more from BMX.
idjeff
QUOTE (dpgirl @ Nov 30 2010, 02:51 PM) *

The pedro track was the bomb. Ascott and alpine village were the closest. Bednorse and turnell all of the old schoolers were around those tracks.

Lee the number is 310 377 1983 if you need a place or a bike next time your hear.

Marineland is now Terrenea Resort. The jumps across street are houses. They have a nature preserve with dh riding or xc. there were jumps and trails but the bird watchers put and end to that.

The chalk fields when we were kids on crest was the gnar at that time. Now it is all 2 million dollar homes.

Anyone ever up to the south bay and looking for a place to crash or ride let me know. The surfing is not so bad either.dopebmx@verizon.net or the phone number listed above.

mike

What's up neighbor!

I street/sidewalk ride around here too on my 24" up to PV and around to Del Amo, Redondo, Hermosa, but luckily haven't been harassed "yet". I'm still trying to get the courage...call it ballz...to start racing again at Bellflower again after breaking my collarbone badly there this last January....but so far I'm wussing out...sigh. My roomate has been harassed a couple of times by the police...stopped, questioned, etc....WTF??? I don't get the whole stigma associated with bmx. Anywayz, maybe I'll see ya riding around the South Bay soon...late
socaldude
Good to see more people checking out this thread. I'd love to hear more stories about the area. I know there are gangs of us on this site that love the South Bay. As far as Harbor BMX's closing, I think mid-80's is pretty much right on. I moved there in '85 but I always remember a motorcycle shop where I've been told the track was. I'll try and get Rydah to post as he raced Harbor, Ascot, & Whittier back in the day. After getting back from the Grands, we've been talking about bringing some of the Hawaii guys to a race in SoCal. We're most definitely gonna hit the Redline Cup West and the Grands again also.

Duane@shootsbrah.com
dpgirl
socaldude

ev rosecrans is on the big island. he moved two months ago. I can get you his number.

If the hawaii kids want to come let me know. They are always welcome and have a place to stay.

When where and for how long is the question so pm me or send me an email to doepbmx@verizon.net and they are golden.

If you need a sponsor or any help dope bmx products will be more than happy to help the hawaii crew.

Mahalo

mike
90262LeeBMXs
QUOTE (okibono @ Nov 28 2010, 09:47 AM) *

Where at in Compton Oki??? I used to live right off of Rosecrans and Atlantic and my mom and sister still live there.

QUOTE (dpgirl @ Nov 30 2010, 01:51 PM) *

mike

Mike, I may be giving you a call for sure. I still have the creeps about bringing my bike down with all the extra security screening at the Airport and don't want any hold ups. But I will more than likely have a place to stay, Food to eat, but a bike to ride and friends to ride with are another animal I haven't figured out yet. You know at our age finding a friend with a bike to let me ride is like finding a needle in a haystack. Heck all my friends are either Dead, In Prison, or think that I am nuts for riding still. LOL I am putting in my Vacation time for either the end of January or beginning of February. Hopefully they go for it so I can get out of this Mid-Western Snow. Grrrrrrrr!!!

Oh yeah, I get harrassed out here for riding my Supercross Envy around town. Especially when I'm doing sprints down at the River Front. "What's a 38 Y/O doing riding a kids bike" is the first thing that always comes out of their mouth until I start pulling reciepts out and they see it not a Kids Bike.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.