Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: found ! HUTCH Trickstar frame
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Freestyle BMX
OldSkoolRoy
A mate of mine used to own and ride a hutch trick star...he bought the frame new .....a small group of us used to ride in our small town. All these years later, a friend that rode with us(clint), was at the dump, looked at the metal pile and said" that's Tony Paynes Hutch". He was right. Years ago,Tony had cracked the frame, so his dad fixed it by welding in 2 vertical posts from the chain stays to the seat post stays. VERY distictive! After he found it, more than 20 years later, clint put in his shed and forgot about it for 2 years, until someone mentioned that i was building up old bikes , and hey presto, i picked it up today. Hmmm bit rough (cough), but i will be looking for someone to repair this one...... any suggestions? #'s on bottom bracket are...AH88041285 and on each side of the cable guide.... AH8----1215 Info and history welcome.

COASTY
They really are the ugly duckling Roy. It will clean up great.
gts340
You found that in the dump after all these years? Lucky, man, lucky.
OldSkoolRoy
the metal pile gets pushed up once a day....clint is the only 1 out of 5 of us that still lives there. The chances of the only person (clint) able to id that bike in the whole town, and he was at the dump during the hrs it was thrown out....before the backhoe driver pushes up the pile.....1 in a million chance. pretty cool really. lol.
STRIKE
Unless there was some weird incarnation of the TS2 that I'm not aware of, those bars connecting the seatstays and chainstays aren't supposed to be there.
donvader
No, he said his friends dad put them there after he cracked the frame way back then. That's in rough shape, but it's great that you have your frends actual old frame! Are you still in touch with Tony at all to show it to him?
OldSkoolRoy
Donvader.....i haven't seen tony since he joined the army in 1990'!! lol.....our high school reunion is coming up in 2 weeks (80-85)......i'm hopeing he shows up there. smile.gif
Axlepeg
What a zany series of events to find your friend's old frame. I think that there are people around who can work the miracle to make that thing like new, but it's going to be pricey, I'd imagine. Aside from whether or not you want those welded add-ons removed, you've got the top of the seatmast cracked off, and what looks like a good bend in one of the toptubes. Myself, I'd probably just hang it on the wall as-is, as a conversation piece.
DitchWeed
QUOTE (Axlepeg @ Feb 22 2010, 02:46 PM) *
What a zany series of events to find your friend's old frame. I think that there are people around who can work the miracle to make that thing like new, but it's going to be pricey, I'd imagine. Aside from whether or not you want those welded add-ons removed, you've got the top of the seatmast cracked off, and what looks like a good bend in one of the toptubes. Myself, I'd probably just hang it on the wall as-is, as a conversation piece.

+1 as a conversation piece!

Maybe your old buddy will show up to your class reunion and you can show it to him.....he might be stoked about it!

I rode one of these BITD and loved it....despite the haters! Lookin at you, WDS and STRIKE...LOL
BOB-O

give it back............... ohmy.gif
justlive
What a cool story/find! I don't know much about the Trick Star II, Only that I thought it was ugly bitd, lol. But I still think that is a great find on your part, and one of the best stories I've heard. What really surprised me though is how the rear frame cracked. I've never seen anything like that before! Especially in that spot. Was that a common area for those particular frames?
Jeff S
Great story. What would be really cool would be if you see your old buddy, strike up a conversation about how you guys used to ride. If he seems into the conversation, then dont mention the bike. Instead, get it restored and present it to him at a later time, in mint condition smile.gif Imagine that? Costly however.

Jeff
Axlepeg
Was that a common area for those particular frames?

I've heard more than one other person say that theirs cracked there.
STRIKE
QUOTE (donvader @ Feb 22 2010, 12:59 PM) *
No, he said his friends dad put them there after he cracked the frame way back then. That's in rough shape, but it's great that you have your frends actual old frame! Are you still in touch with Tony at all to show it to him?

So he did, argh...must...improve...reading comprehension. My apologies.
serva
Hey Roy, what a great find!

I would have to say some things are just meant to happen. After receiving my old frame back recenlty, I would suggest to just give it back in the condition it is. Its not just the frame that will bring back memories but the welded dropouts, the dent in the top tube ect. ect.....all that stuff....

get a pic of his face when he gets it back!!
OldSkoolRoy
EXCELLENT!! I'm lovin' the feedback. After reading your replies, I've contacted several people and got his phone number!! So I'll be ringin' soon. Y'know what? My high school reunion is on soon right?? So why can't me and my riding buddies have a reunion? I could give it back to him there.....and with everyone in attendance, it really would be a great conversation piece!! Jeff S has a great idea with me restoring the bike to give back at the reunion. Like it!
SERVA!! How ya goin' Scott? The welded drop outs are Tony's ,Unfortunately all the damage to the frame was done after Tony's mum and dad sold the bike. I think tony would pass out if he saw it now!! LOL. I'm leaning toward the restored idea.

Tony Payne HUTCH TRICKSTAR 2 Chrome/black
Jason Hand GT PRO PERFORMER Chrome/black
Mic Gutzky Kuwahara Magician Blue/white
Clinton Dredge Redline RL20 Prostyler Turquoise/chrome
Roy Jarmey Skyway Steetbeat Orange/black
Axlepeg
Cool. Keep a good documentation of the resto process, yeah? Let us know how it turns out!

Are we missing a group pic in the last post?
The R
QUOTE (OldSkoolRoy @ Feb 26 2010, 10:07 AM) *
Y'know what? My high school reunion is on soon right?? So why can't me and my riding buddies have a reunion?

I'd be much more inclined to go to my riding buddies' reunion than the high school one. Do it! Keep us apprised of the restoration, too.
OldSkoolRoy
QUOTE (Axlepeg @ Feb 26 2010, 11:28 AM) *
Are we missing a group pic in the last post?

I never thought about it before.....i have no pics of us .....i wish i did ! Come to think of it, none of us owned a camera....i think we spent all our money on bikes. lol. We were all perpetual motion....we didn't stay still long enough for a photo in those days lol.

Good idea!!!
I'll do up a resto thred for the TRICKSTAR and keep you all up todate on the process of the rebuild and "the search for the parts" he ran back then. I found this on an indipendant web site for hutch.........thanks to hutchbmx.com for the folling info.

In 88 Hutch made a new bike called the Trick Star 2 which had the twin top tube design and 990 mounts. The bike was supposedly primarily designed for vert riding. It worked fine as a flatland bike as well. The 88 version had small chainstay platforms like the original Trick Star that were at an angle. The 89 and later versions did not have these. This particular frame was not without it's problems. First off flatlanders didn't like the fact that the 990 mounts were on the bottom of the chainstays instead of on top. Being on the bottom puts your brake in the way of being able to do certain tricks. Second, the bike had a serious design flaw which has left many people calling it the most fragile freestyle bike ever built. Hutch decided to do the loop tail a little differently on this frame and consequently the idea they used was a bad one. The rear end always cracked by the dropouts. Had Hutch done the rear end just like they did their other bikes then there likely wouldn't have been a problem. Kudos to Hutch for seemingly solving "the Torker crack" problem on their twin top tube bike. The Trick Star 2 had two seat tube gussets, one acting as a frame standing platform and one welded a little lower. Whether or not that really solved the stress crack problem that plagued other twin top tube frames I can't say for sure but I still haven't seen a Trick Star 2 cracked there. Unfortunately the rear end design ruined everything anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Hutch made a different version of the Trick Star 2 called the Trick Styler. The Trick Styler came as a complete bike only and had 24K gold in the stickers and on many of the parts as well. A pretty nice looking bike. No Trick Stylers ever had chainstay platforms. In 88 the Trick Styler had a sticker that said 4130 on the loop tail. The 89 and later models didn't have this sticker. They instead had stickers on the seat tube that said 4130 Chromoly - 24 Carat Gold.

All Trick Star 2 and Trick Styler frames were 100% 4130 chromoly and made in Taiwan.

(By the way, for those who don't know what I'm talking about when I refer to "the Torker crack" it was just a term we used to describe the problem twin top tube bikes had in which the welds around the seat tube gusset would crack from stress. Torkers always cracked there. Being as Bob Haro made his first bike after the Torker frame design all Haro frames broke there too.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.