Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bobby Encinas
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
JJR
Would like to see photo's of that white Mongoose Bobby Encinas used when riding for Shimano.
Did he used only a white bike or also other color combinations?
Volcano
I dont think I've seen the white one...but here's some pics of his blue one. biggrin.gif

Paolo
I don't remember a white Goose either, I only recall the chrome/nickel or blue ones. Volcano, I hadn't seen that version at all... That may be his hottest ever!
JJR
i've seen long ago a white 79 mongoose with shimano Bobby Encinas decals and it was a replica....in white.
But don't have that picture.
mxmug
Volcano

Really cool article. Thanks for taking the time to share it with the rest of us.

Mx Mug
JJR
i'm thinking of building such mongoose myself.
I can get such pad set, seatpost, bar, crank, wheels,....
thanks for showing these scans of that nice looking bike!
Brisben
Here's one I've nearly finished

I'll be replacing the wheels soon

Racer
Man i looked thru every issue I have from 76 -81 and found almost no color shots. The couple I did find showed him on his blue goose the year he won Nora.
He was in alot of black and white ads but they didnt show the bike or they showed his blue goose.
I didnt bother looking thru 82 and newer.
I was surprised how few color pictures and how few pictures all the riders actually got.

Bobby Encinas 1980 Australia/USA Challenge
Shows Bobby riding a nickel Mongoose Supergoose

JJR
Attached a pic of the white bike i talk about.
Long ago I saw another one, little different, but also in white with the same decals.
So, maybe this is not a orginal color combination that Bobby used?
JJR
and sh****t sitting at home with a shoulder injury gives me too much time to dream about a new project laugh.gif
and i have those Bobby Encinas Shimano decals.....and a nice nickel Team Mongoose frame....
COASTY
There is another White Shimano goose on the museum and it looks very similar. Maybe it's the same one??
I can't find any white bikes of Bobbys either.
Pity he's not on OS anymore. You could of asked him yourself.
Brisben
QUOTE (JJR @ Nov 27 2009, 06:10 PM) *
Attached a pic of the white bike i talk about.
Long ago I saw another one, little different, but also in white with the same decals.
So, maybe this is not a orginal color combination that Bobby used?

I think that was more using the decals than reproducing a bike Bobby rode

One of the few pics with Bobby and the Shimano decals is that one of the Supergoose

I very much doubt he would have ridden a painted frame given that he was a Team rider, nickel or candy coat yes, painted white quite a certain no.
mongoosedrummer
Not to "name drop" here or anything, but talking with Marvin Church Jr. recently about this, Bobby definitely rode a nickel '79 Supergoose at one point. From looking at the B/W pics, I see that.

I agree with Coasty that it's a pity he's not on the sites these days. He could tell us a whole lot more about everything. As Marvin is one of Bobby's best friends, he says Bobby will be back some time soon to chime in and answer questions. Let's hope so...

The '79 Nickel Supergoose really is an important bike IMO. From what I know, it's the only year they were ever made, making them quite rare. With the exact same specs as the Team frames, they are even cooler (I think) because they are Nickel! To my knowledge, no Teams were made in pure Nickel (without color) except a handful. Maybe Bobby had one or two of those as well.

An interesting note about the Team and Supergoose frames... They weren't 100% Chrome-Moly as most people believe.

Anyone know which parts weren't? Bonus points for the right answer! tongue.gif

Anyhow, for what it's worth, here's a couple reference pics I took of my '79 Nickel Supergoose frame recently:

kaneohe808
It's in the area behind the seatpost
Volcano
"Volcano

Really cool article. Thanks for taking the time to share it with the rest of us.

Mx Mug "

No probs mate! Always love to share the VBMX info drinks.gif

Brisben
Pete

Was it the steerer tube and the bottom bracket shell?

Possibly the rear dropouts but I'm not that sure on that one...
COASTY
I was gonna say the BB and dropouts. I've seen the pics of all the BB shells?
Hutchy
Isn't it the parts that were not tubular? (front gussett, behind seat port, matchbox behind bottom bracket, rear dropouts, brake bridge)
Racer
+1 what hutchy said.
mongoosedrummer
QUOTE (Hutchy @ Dec 2 2009, 05:55 AM) *
Isn't it the parts that were not tubular? (front gussett, behind seat port, matchbox behind bottom bracket, rear dropouts, brake bridge)

rhoads157
This is such a great topic! BITD I was fortunate enough to attend a clinic put on by Shimano, Bobby and I believe David Clinton. I still have the certificate that has Bobby's picture and signature on it. VERY COOL! The clinic was at Westlake BMX here in Indy.
I rode a Team Mongoose that was set up exactly like his at the time so he gave me a set of the Shimano decals like he had on his bike so I got to put them on mine.
My dream bike is to build another one just like it.
-Keep on showing the pics!

David
JJR
I've a same 79 nickel frame like shown here.
With flattened area for the chain in the back.
So......then it's a frame used for a Supergoose bike bitd?
If i keep the nickel then it's a Supergoose and when I paint it in candy blue it will become a Team Mongoose?
Or did i misunderstood?
mongoosedrummer
QUOTE (JJR @ Dec 3 2009, 12:56 AM) *
If i keep the nickel then it's a Supergoose and when I paint it in candy blue it will become a Team Mongoose?
Or did i misunderstood?

Not exactly.

If your frame looks just like the one I posted, is actual Nickel, has one hole in the brake bridge, the flattened right seat stay and has no remanence of any Candy Red or Blue inside the head tube or bottom bracket, it is more than likely a first version Supergoose. What is the serial number? That will surely help too. You can check it out against Waza's master list.

From what I understand, there is no actual difference in materials or geometry between the first Teams (late '77-'78) and Supergoose ('79) frames. However, there are differences between those two models afterwards...

Nickel vs. Chrome...

This is where it get's tricky... Many people mistake Nickel for Chrome and vice versa. Nickel will always take on a different patina than Chrome after it ages, but when it's new or protected from the elements (from being coated for example) it can be hard to tell.

The best way to tell is to compare a known sample of Chrome against the suspected Nickel part, preferably a freshly polished area of the suspected Nickel. Also, using certain lighting you can sometimes see that Chrome gives off a slight bluish tint, where Nickel will give off a slight Golden tint or hue.

It has long been debated as to whether or not any Teams were Candy Apple Red or Candy Blue translucent epoxy over Nickel.

The general consensus seems to be that the Team frames were always Chrome under the Candy finishes. Also, because Chrome is such a poor surface for epoxy to adhere to, that finish was quite delicate and tended not to last. This is why we see so many people trying to "recreate" that OG finish on these vintage Team frames.

If this general consensus is correct, Candy translucent epoxy over Nickel on a Supergoose surely would not make it a Team.

Anyhow, I am far from an expert, I'm only reporting what I've been told and read about.

From what I've seen recently, some of the Aussie guys should know the definitive answer on this one.

Waza certainly needs to chime in on this... Pretty sure he'd know for certain and he may even have some old schematics or factory papers/information to verify.

mongoosedrummer
QUOTE (JJR @ Dec 3 2009, 12:56 AM) *
Or did i misunderstood?

Well, it seems you may be right after all JJR! If your Supergoose is indeed a '79... With the correct translucent Candy epoxy applied, it could very well be turned into what would have been the early Team frames.

Yesterday, I asked Skip Hess directly about all this and he had this to say:

As I recall all plated frames were originally nickel, prior to chrome. So, I suspect that the earliest Team frames had a nickel plate base. The nickel oxidized in time so we went to chrome (donít know the dates).

I believe the Chrome frames began to appear in 1980 according to the old catalogues, so any Team frames prior to that, would have been Candy over Nickel! There ya go... smile.gif
Racer
Was the magazine dated?
dgjp
QUOTE (Racer @ Dec 5 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Was the magazine dated?

I think around '80 perhaps.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp270/dgjp/scan0007.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.