Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bakersfield, CA BMXers, Speak Up
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
CharleyGnarlyP290
Here's what I figure:
Let's list our name, age, years we raced, what we rode, and which track(s) we raced at. If you aren't actually a racer from Bakersfield, but know one list what you got. List any of the locals you can remember.
I'll start:
Brett Grogan, 45
Started November, 1980. Raced until late '85/early '86.
Started on an old R&R with Ashtabula stem, forks, and cranks. Upgraded to a Quadangle in '81. Landing Gear forks, JMC bars, Profile cranks.
Started at the Bakersfield YMCA ran by Bob Hicks. Track then moved to The Plunge on Union Avenue.
Some of the locals I new/raced:
Ernie Ballard
Mike Goldsby
Travis Homer
Glen Pack
Mike Kitchens
Bobby Hicks
Rob Lowe
Joe Brown

That's all the guys I can remember right now. I am kinda tired...
iceemike
mike melvin 41
started 1974 stopped in 1979
first bike which i still have all original gary little john
upgrade to r&r
upgrade to fmf
dave busby
jeff burgess
dave burgess
danny oakley
ronnie anderson
richie anderson

rode for peddle power Oakdale pioneer arena
The Red Baron
Not from Bakersfield but raced there on occasion.

This picture was taken at a track (I don't remember the track name) in Bakersfield in 1978. I was told once that #1c was the local fast guy that somehow had a hard time at the big races. I do not remember his name either. From left to right; me (Dennis Dain), Tinker, #1c (?), and Seth Bucceri.

estraubmx

Erik Straub 37
Raced from '78-'84
Started at the Y.M.C.A raced there maybe a year.
Also raced at Sprockets off and on.
Main track was The Plunge.
7x to12x I think. been awhile.
First bike- JMC Red white& blue. (white frame red anodized rims blue cranks etc.)
Other bikes were mostly all JMC BUt I think I had a Cook Bros. at one time.
Details on the bikes a little blurry. All I remember was lots of chrome!
Unfortunately my little brother managed to get all my bikes stolen at one time or another
Guys I remember...
Jason Christy
Damian Bernal
Hicks brothers
Danny Farmer
There's more swimmin' around in my head but I cant remember right now.

CharleyGnarlyP290
estraubmx,
Awesome! All great racers. I remember them all.
Remember Bradley Hicks? He was the youngest. I heard he got in a pretty bad car accident, but never have been able to verify it.
Bobby Hicks was in my age bracket. Was pretty good. Last I heard of him he had moved to Amsterdam.
Another racer I remember was Marlin Washington. Great kid. I coached him for a while and he got pretty good.
NV02CRUISER
Wow I raced bakersfield from 78-80. I remember racing Brian hicks, Donald Mckee, and David Harner, or Horner and Danny farmer although he was 13x at the time? Another name i remember was Joey Yates, dude was fast!! The 'Y' Sprokets and the plunge, we all raced 3 times aweek. The plunge was our first electronic gate. Think i remember the Hicks family running that track. One of our neighbors was Ernie Ballard who used to give the pros fits!! Good times...
Kevin Griffitts 41-45 cruiser carson city nv, BMX RUSH
BS
QUOTE (CharleyGnarlyP290 @ Nov 22 2009, 07:50 PM) *
Mike Kitchens

Mike Kitchen came back and was racing a few years ago. His kids got into the sport and he got back into it. His speed came back fast. He ate it at a National at the Orange Show Grounds track in San Bernardino and blew his knee out. He's been out of the sport since then. His kids continued for awhile but they eventually moved onto other interests.

He was in real estate and I believe his wife still is. Last I saw him he was doing something else but I can't remember now off the top of my head.

I raced in Bakersfield from 1998 to 2008. It's not really the period you're asking about but I know Mike.
BS
I forgot to mention that I raced a couple of nationals in Bakersfield at the fairgrounds in the mid 80's. Never raced the local tracks there until the mid 90's.
jpracer931
Jeff Post,raced out of Visalia and used to come down to the Y track quite a bit,rode a RedLine,77-79ish,raced at the Y and at a national that I can't remember exactly where at in Bakersfield,big start hill and big jumps,remember some baseball fields near by.Always raced expert 14,15,then 16 and over
CharleyGnarlyP290
Hey Jeff. What side of town was the track with the big hill and jumps? I remember a rack on the east side of town near the foothills... Sprockets Park I think. Never rode there as that was slightly before I started racing.
You remember Ernie Ballard at the Y? Fast dude, that Ernie...
TMcKie
Thomas McKie
Age 41
1980-1984
Bikes: 1st one was a misc. parts bike, was a few different colors. 2nd was a Mongoose, 3rd was a JMC (out grew it in 2 weeks). 4th and final was a PK Ripper

Tracks: YMCA (1st version), The Plunge, YMCA (2nd version, with bridge), Fairgrounds Track, Santa Maria, Selma, Lancaster.

Riders I remember: Bobby, Mike and Brad Hicks, Danny Farmer, Jason Christy, Glen Pack, Donald McKee, Darrell & Lisa Pruitt, Heath Wolfe.

I started racing at the YMCA track in 1980. That is where my family met the Hicks family. My father, Thomas McKie, helped run the track and my mother, Dee McKie helped run the sign up table.

After the NBA sanctioned YMCA track, we moved over to the ABA sanctioned Plunge track. My father helped build the track. My father was also the official starter for the track. We raced there and also back at the NBL sanctioned YMCA track. Another track that my father helped build, with the bridge. There was also a track at the Kern County Fairgrounds that I believe only held a national race in 1981 or 1982. My father helped build that track also.

I raced as a beginner and novice at both the first YMCA and the Plunge at the beginning. I moved into the expert class by winning a race in Selma, Ca. I believe that I raced 11, 12, 13, & 14 expert before leaving the sport in 1984. My nickname to locals was "Crash McKie", as I did that quite a bit, lol. At the end, I also wore a Scorpion Racing uniform while riding the PK Ripper. I was also known for running a 46/16 gearing at The Plunge cause of my size.

My brother Mike McKie also raced the same time I did. He is 2 years younger then I am.

ridersreadypeadlesready
Chuck Rogers
age 44
1980 - 1983 YMCA

I've thought a lot about the good old days of racing bmx in Bakersfield in the early 80's. I grew up in a neighborhood by the speedway race track, a bunch of us used to pile into the back of one of the mom's trucks and head to the YMCA to race every week. We all used to ride in the fields in between North High School and our neighborhood, it was great practice for racing. I started racing a JMC Black Shadow and later a GT. I wanted to add some names that I remember racing back then. I'll try not to repeat the ones previously mentioned.

Bryan Thompson (crossroads team with Dave Harner and Mike Kitchen)
Wade Bowen
Joe Minney
Geoff Vines
Shane Warkentin
Ron Warkentin
Mike Kenny

JimBetts
QUOTE (The Red Baron @ Nov 23 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Not from Bakersfield but raced there on occasion.

This picture was taken at a track (I don't remember the track name) in Bakersfield in 1978. I was told once that #1c was the local fast guy that somehow had a hard time at the big races. I do not remember his name either. From left to right; me (Dennis Dain), Tinker, #1c (?), and Seth Bucceri.

Dennis,
1c was Terry Hardin, he was the first #1 from central CA. And you're right, he dominated weekly races but never did well at any of the big races. I traveled with Terry all over CA from 75 thru 77, great times! I was 5c back then, raced one age class down, with Jeff U, Brent, Scott C, Stanely etc at the big races.

Anyway, the track was the Central Coast Bicycle Raceway (CCBR), the first BMX track in the Bakersfield area. It was originally named Morris Track because Mr Morris built it with his backhoe. Robby Lee's (Robby was the 2nd #1c) dad and my step-dad were the original TO's and the Morris family lived across the street from me.

I have a lot of great memories from those days along with a few momentos.

NV02CRUISER
QUOTE (CharleyGnarlyP290 @ Jul 12 2010, 05:27 PM) *
Hey Jeff. What side of town was the track with the big hill and jumps? I remember a rack on the east side of town near the foothills... Sprockets Park I think. Never rode there as that was slightly before I started racing.
You remember Ernie Ballard at the Y? Fast dude, that Ernie...

Ernie Ballard was a friend of mine in 79-80. I just found him on Facebook! He was older than me and used to give me rides to the track. He was our local hero!

kevin.griffitts@facebook.com

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.