Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opens at ABA nationals
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Patriot BMX
I was thinking about the opens at ABA nationals and was curious as to why a rider can only ride a 20" bike? Why not a cruiser? It is an OPEN race correct? The rules are a little confusing if you are reading it the way I am.

E. Opens
1. Open categories (opens) offer riders an additional opportunity to compete at any ABA sanctioned event. Opens
are generally of mixed age groupings and open to riders of any age and skill level respectively.

Q: Is cruiser considered a skill level?

6. To sign up for and race a 20" bike in open, a rider must first be registered to compete in his/her regular 20" points
class.

Q: Why not change this and add that in order to run a 24" in an open race the rider needs to be registered for a cruiser class? Since most cruiser riders are at the expert level anyway, make the cruiser rider run in the regular open class NOT mixed open.

I use to run just cruiser and always wished at nationals I could get a little more track time. Am I the only cruiser rider thinking this way? Just a thought. I'm curious as to what it would take to change this rule for 2010 and start allowing 24" bikes run in the opens?

If I'm missing something here, please let me know.

Thanks,

LG
tfd2827
Good question, i dont have the answer, but id love to hear an explanation.
Gino
Cruiser is a bike size..not a skill level.. You want more track time get a 20..
scmcgovern
To be able to race cruiser in the open class, it would have to be considered.. Open Wheels class.. The NBL has done this for the 30 and over class, with alot of success.. Its kind of fun racing against guys on 20" and/or 24"....

Open is just that.. Its a class, where a rider, can race against a different skill level, and judge where they stand on there abilities..
and its doesn't count as a move up for that rider if they win..
Meattray
QUOTE (Gino @ Nov 21 2009, 08:00 AM) *

+1
they are more fun anyway.
tomg
It seems like you would get more riders in the opens if it were open wheels. 30+ Open would be nice as well.
Patriot BMX
QUOTE (Gino @ Nov 21 2009, 03:00 PM) *

I guess you missed the part "I use to race just cruiser...". I have a 20". Matching GHPs to be exact. So my question still stands. If it's considered an "open" race, shouldn't cruisers be allowed to run?
Gino
QUOTE (Liberty Racing @ Nov 21 2009, 05:54 PM) *
I guess you missed the part "I use to race just cruiser...". I have a 20". Matching GHPs to be exact. So my question still stands. If it's considered an "open" race, shouldn't cruisers be allowed to run?

I guess I'm still missing the part were open means cruiser?
cory
cruisers are more forgiving than the 20' bikes. A fast cruiser rider might not be able to safely go over a lot of jumps on a 20". so it make it more even if everyone is on 20" bikes.

RCain
Locally you can set up opens any way you want to. Nationally "open" has never meant "open wheel" unless specifically stated as such.

"Open" means; open to any skill level. Always has.
It's probably not going to be in the soon to be released 2010 rulebook, and it's probably not going change any time soon.
But hey, get your campaign on, start one of those internets resurgances. I think the "Ban clips' movement is starting to gain some momentum, you might try aligning yourself with their cause in order to bolster your numbers.

R.
Elvis
Locally, our money opens, we do open wheel. Otherwise tighten up your tutu and race 20"

RCain's post made me LOL
tomg
QUOTE (RCain @ Nov 21 2009, 08:22 PM) *
"Open" means; open to any skill level. Always has.

So how does mixed open figure into that?
Meattray
QUOTE (tomg @ Nov 21 2009, 09:04 AM) *
30+ Open would be nice as well.

That would be rad. Not a big fan of racing 17 year olds
obsessive
the beauty of opens is the flexibility. I believe the TO has the flexibility to run them how they want.
skullcrusher
Personally I agree. Open should mean just that...OPEN. Run what you brung, 20, cruiser, mtn bike, pit bike, 10-speed or whatever. Thats the beauty of OPEN...or at least should be.
Patriot BMX
QUOTE (skullcrusher @ Nov 22 2009, 04:57 AM) *
Personally I agree. Open should mean just that...OPEN. Run what you brung, 20, cruiser, mtn bike, pit bike, 10-speed or whatever. Thats the beauty of OPEN...or at least should be.

Thank you! At least somebody sees my point!

Hey Elvis, for the second time...I have a 20"...I race a 20", along with my cruiser.

I did not know there was a difference in "open wheels" and "open". You learn something new everyday. I guess I have my answer. Thanks for the replies.
RCain
"Mixed open" in ABA allows girls to run with novs and inters. No experts.
At races where "mixed open" is offered, the "open" class is offered to experts only.

QUOTE (tomg @ Nov 21 2009, 06:53 PM) *
So how does mixed open figure into that?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.