Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Santa Barbara BMX Goes ABA
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
NVBMX
One more NBL track goes ABA. As of 11/23/09, SBBMX will be an ABA sanctioned track.
Dong
Nice!
vanncann
Very interesting!
Daleracr
Figures the day I buy my NBL license BAM the next nearest track to me changes sanctions. Man there has been a dark cloud over me lately!!!!
REDDFACED
QUOTE (NVBMX @ Nov 20 2009, 01:58 AM) *
One more NBL track goes ABA. As of 11/23/09, SBBMX will be an ABA sanctioned track.

Not exactly. SBBMX, having lost their lease on the track at Elings Park in Santa Barbara, appears to be continuing as an organization. The track at Elings Park will be reopened under new management as Elings Park BMX Raceway, an ABA sanctioned track. For more updates and a new schedule, please check for now on the Freedom Park BMX Raceway website-- www.freedomparkbmx.com and/or track hotline 805.824.7854-- until the new Elings Park website has been completed.
OldSchoolRay
Who cares? ABA is a business and they would not be operating if $ were not made. I think the ABA is GREEDY!
lumpy
Guess what... Both sanctions need money to keep the doors open...

Brian
REDDFACED
QUOTE (OldSchoolRay @ Nov 20 2009, 06:53 AM) *
Who cares? ABA is a business and they would not be operating if $ were not made. I think the ABA is GREEDY!

Actually... although there's been much talk here about the sanctions, this move was made because of management issues between Elings Park and the SBBMX track management whose lease had expired months ago. We were approached by the Park management with an offer to operate the track and we agreed. Now, as we run an ABA track just down the road in Camarillo, chances were pretty good that we weren't going to run an NBL track in SB. I'm hoping with all the money we're spending on the two tracks I'll be able to retire soon-- maybe to Santa Barbara. So then-- if money wasn't the motivation, maybe the idea is to keep BMX alive in SB and build the sport in the region.
RBIGroup
Good luck with the SB track..... I hear nothing but good things from the other track you run, I hope to make it out and hit up some of the West Coast tracks with my riders..... Being who is running the track and knowing his track record, the track will be great....

Buntster
Thumperpilot
Stoked to go back to SB. I lived in Ventura, CA. for 10 years of my life. SB is some of my old stompin' grounds. SB was originally ABA about 10 years a go. So SB and ABA are nothing new. Ventura where I lived is only 9 miles from Camarillo, or Freedpm Park BMX. And it's only 15 miles from SB. Simi Valley is only about 15 miles away too. They should have a great scene between all those excellent track location. I'm pumped for all the riders, families, and fans!
HRPdesigns
QUOTE (OldSchoolRay @ Nov 19 2009, 11:53 PM) *

Wow you are right, have you seen the Rolexes and BMW's they give to every new track, awesome (sarcasm intended).

You know they could just plug along in a state of deficit spending like the US government and the National Bicycle league have been doing years. How is that working out for the two?

Welcome back Santa Barbera, I hope that this move if beneficial to you local riders and those in the surrounding areas, I wish you great success. Keep Hank on the straight and narrow.
DCRBMX
I see a state race weekend coming! I would definitely travel north for that!

Richard, just tell me what color the door to my room is and I will find it from there.

Congratulations to all, Jeff
BS
QUOTE (Thumperpilot @ Nov 20 2009, 05:44 AM) *
SB was originally ABA about 10 years a go.

I used to race a little bit at the old Earl Warren Showgrounds track when I was going to Cal Poly. ABA.
lumpy
I remember helping build the first track at the show grounds...

Brian
BS
QUOTE (lumpy @ Nov 20 2009, 10:43 AM) *
I remember helping build the first track at the show grounds...

Brian

That thing was tiny (although I think the one I raced was at least the second one). I used to say it was built on a postage stamp.
wagonguy
QUOTE (OldSchoolRay @ Nov 19 2009, 09:53 PM) *

Don't you have some old ladies to mug or something?
REDDFACED
Thanks to all for the support. We're very excited. And I believe most everyone up here is as well. As far as the hearts and minds of the current NBL membership base in Santa Barbara, we will have to do our best to prove to them that we can run a positive, fun and competitive program that will grow BMX in Santa Barbara and the region. Unfortunately, we're having to endure some of the bitterness of the outgoing operators and the negativity that is being tossed around the community and in the paper. Although they (the original operator) admitted even to me that they were responsible for their own undoing with the Park Foundation, the Park is being made out to be the bad guy and in the end I'm afraid the only ones to suffer will be Santa Barbara BMXers. As Mike Redman wisely said to me last night-- for some it's all about their track, when it should simply just be about the track. We need your support to show the community that the BMX community is behind the track at Elings Park. Become a fan on Facebook and come out to race. With Camarillo and Simi in this area we have a chance to build a great region for BMX racing. Thanks again for the kind words, RH
lumpy
QUOTE (BS @ Nov 20 2009, 06:50 PM) *
That thing was tiny (although I think the one I raced was at least the second one). I used to say it was built on a postage stamp.

It was.. We had no time to build it, so we had to make do with what we had at the time....

Brian
lumpy
QUOTE (REDDFACED @ Nov 20 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Thanks to all for the support. We're very excited. And I believe most everyone up here is as well. As far as the hearts and minds of the current NBL membership base in Santa Barbara, we will have to do our best to prove to them that we can run a positive, fun and competitive program that will grow BMX in Santa Barbara and the region. Unfortunately, we're having to endure some of the bitterness of the outgoing operators and the negativity that is being tossed around the community and in the paper. Although they (the original operator) admitted even to me that they were responsible for their own undoing with the Park Foundation, the Park is being made out to be the bad guy and in the end I'm afraid the only ones to suffer will be Santa Barbara BMXers. As Mike Redman wisely said to me last night-- for some it's all about their track, when it should simply just be about the track. We need your support to show the community that the BMX community is behind the track at Elings Park. Become a fan on Facebook and come out to race. With Camarillo and Simi in this area we have a chance to build a great region for BMX racing. Thanks again for the kind words, RH

Hopefully some of those people will come out and see that other than a few new faces and a couple of small differences, at the end of the night, it's still a BMX race..

Brian
bikesrus
This is going to be soo cool for Santa Barbara racers- Track operators always held the old SBBMX back....it is amazing that such great riders came from SB (Kolich, Burke, Blanchet, the Gulvin kids, Hank) with such mushy leadership up there. Welcome back to the ABA- see you soon!
Proctor
QUOTE (DCRBMX @ Nov 20 2009, 11:14 AM) *
Richard, just tell me what color the door to my room is and I will find it from there.

You get the white door all the way down the hall, I will keep my upstairs gold door....

Proctor
REDDFACED
The gold door? That's the bathroom, but Greg it's all yours. On another note Elings Park BMX Raceway will be holding a Double Points race Saturday December 5th, sign-ups 11 - 12:30, racing ASAP. Then scoot down the road to Freedom Park BMX Raceway in Camarillo Saturday night to make it a 300 point day.
Proctor
Don't blame me the Easter Bunny on ACID picked all the colors of your doors..............
REDDFACED
Your room is available Greg. Me thinks you and the fam should make the drive down for the grand opening double pointer in two weeks. Meanwhile we're headed out to Elings Park this morning to access the storm damage. I heard it hailed NBL stickers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.