Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: STANDARD Bykes-frame paint problems (FLAKING)
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
danieldavidgregory
just want to ask if anyone else has had problem with the paint on there frames as mine just peals of, i have tried contacting them and sorting it but they are refusing to pay the return postage for my frame from the uk, but they should, its not my fault they have made a mistake, im now stuck with a frame in a box waiting to go back and no bike, its driving me mental.

they are now ignoring my emails so legal action will be next, they have had enough warning and chances.

Any replies will be helpfull thanks-im not saying there frames are bad in general, just my paint, the frame is the sweetist frame i have ever riden.....
japanesestallion
Dude, that's a bummer man. Standard is a nice frame. Maybe not enough blasting on the frame for the paint to stick. I've had a same problem with OTHER frame...not Standard. Paint peeling off on the rear drop out.
I am sure they will get back with ya.
danieldavidgregory
thanks for the reply, they have had around 3 weeks 2 reply now since my last email, and were getting very ***** with me, and it peals of all over, i wouldnt dair go near it with a hosepipe i have to use a sponge because it just falls off,

out of interest what happend with your frame, did you get a replacement or just leave it.

thanks dan
Brandon002
Standard is a top notch and super reputable bike company here in the states. I'm sure there is a good explanation for all of this as Rick and the gang are stand up guys and always have been.
Grendizer
Strange. Their customer service is usually top notch. I always get a reply with in 24 hours when I email them. I'm on my third 125R and I've never had that problem with the paint job. I'm sure they'll sort you out. Maybe they don't recieve your emails for some reason. Try to give them a shout on facebook. Good luck!
Brandon002
Or try the good old fashioned phone... Give them a call.
indylodown
Or try the good old fashioned phone... Give them a call.

or go over to the EVERYTHING ELSE section and look'em up. Never had any issues with any of the coatings on any of my Standards.
MikeCarruth
I will email Standard tonight and ask them to weigh in here.

Thanks!

M
Jason F.
nobody in almost any business pays shipping both ways.

london smog maybe? j/k
mothertrucker
QUOTE (compIV @ Nov 13 2009, 07:29 PM) *

london smog maybe? j/k

Interesting post here. I have been in contact with this person and have offered to replace (not re paint as normally would be the case) this frame immediately upon receiving it here for inspection. We do zero warranties, especially a possible paint finish warranty over the internet. We have been burned by that in the past. The only thing we ever ask is to please send it in so we have it in person to make the call. We have told this customer this, as well as offered a brand new replacement instead of a re paint. We have only received legal threats because the father did not think was was a fair offer. I also allowed them to continue to ride the bike until their "very hectic" race season was over to work with their time table. My offer still stands....that upon receiving the frame back and if it is indeed a warranty, I will replace it with a new one and pay shipping back to the UK.
I will stand by my product. Always.

Respectfully,
Rick Moliterno
05magmn
QUOTE (mothertrucker @ Nov 13 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Interesting post here. I have been in contact with this person and have offered to replace (not re paint as normally would be the case) this frame immediately upon receiving it here for inspection. We do zero warranties, especially a possible paint finish warranty over the internet. We have been burned by that in the past. The only thing we ever ask is to please send it in so we have it in person to make the call. We have told this customer this, as well as offered a brand new replacement instead of a re paint. We have only received legal threats because the father did not think was was a fair offer. I also allowed them to continue to ride the bike until their "very hectic" race season was over to work with their time table. My offer still stands....that upon receiving the frame back and if it is indeed a warranty, I will replace it with a new one and pay shipping back to the UK.

Respectfully,
Rick Moliterno

Sounds fair to me!
3DOORS
Man, I have NEVER had probs with paint, etc on my SBC. I thank the BOSS for gettin on here and standin up for sure. I really get uptight when people get on here and they bash right out of the gate.

Maybe I think ya need to get some creds B4 firing off, but hey man, it's ur deal.

Trey

ps- my son always says never trust a man with 2 first names, you got 3 ?? Sorry, just had to. rolleyes.gif
japanesestallion
out of interest what happend with your frame, did you get a replacement or just leave it

It wasn't Standard...and I am not going to say any brand on the vintage.
It's just better to go direct to the person rather than stir up the pot...
Our friend rides Standard, and they had no issues with them. We have never ridden a Standard, but this was the first to hear anything. Hey good luck and it seems like Rick is already on a ball there above my post drinks.gif
protour77
Can't wait to get my 125R!!! I should have it in a week or so. Looking forward to it!!
joelwitte
QUOTE (compIV @ Nov 13 2009, 07:29 PM) *

so true, microsoft with there xbox's is all that i've ever heard doing that

i've ridden standards going on 15 years now, and have had no problems myself and have heard of no other problems like this from anyone else
everything to do with this company is tip top in my eyes
there is a reason for that

where other companies would repaint or offer you a refurbed frame, the boss is offering you a brand new one

it sucks your across the pond and have to pay shipping back here, but it sounds like thats the way it is

all the best
schroed
I cant wait to get my daughter Shelbys frame either.She is excited to get her new one.
lumpy
Typically, something like this would be handled be a distributor in the UK instead of calling Standard in the US.. Makes things easier... Unless Standard doesn't have a UK distributor.

But, unless it is very obvious it is a warranty situation, most companies won't cover shipping to them. For something like paint, I agree with Rick. I wouldn't do it sight unseen. For all he knows, a can of paint stripper could have been accidently spilled on the bike...

Brian
nickdawghaters
*cough* Rick Moliterno is the man and you should have gotten a raw 125r anyway!

SBC4LYFE
Jason F.
QUOTE (mothertrucker @ Nov 13 2009, 08:57 PM) *

Respectfully,
Rick Moliterno

I wrote that horribly, so I hope you know I was saying he needs to ship it back on his dime. I have worked in retail for a VERY long time and I have never heard of a company that sent call tags to pay for shipping it in for warranty.
Rich
well-its made in the good ole U.S.A.....and sounds like Rick is going to stand by the product!
perhaps like the maytag man-once in a great while u have a flaw u deal with...but u got to have it- to deal with it.
send it back-im sure the crew will make u happy!
i have heard nothing but good from standard bikes...
Rick has been around too long in the bike business and to nice of a guy to leave u hang'in!!
it could be worse...u could have a kuwahara with too much lead in the paint!!
TheMollusk
QUOTE (danieldavidgregory @ Nov 13 2009, 04:17 PM) *
just want to ask if anyone else has had problem with the paint on there frames as mine just peals of, i have tried contacting them and sorting it but they are refusing to pay the return postage for my frame from the uk, but they should, its not my fault they have made a mistake, im now stuck with a frame in a box waiting to go back and no bike, its driving me mental.

they are now ignoring my emails so legal action will be next, they have had enough warning and chances.

Any replies will be helpfull thanks-im not saying there frames are bad in general, just my paint, the frame is the sweetist frame i have ever riden.....

Let me get this straight. They offered to replace your frame and ship it back after you finished the race season and your threatening legal action? You sound like a bit of a nut case and I would want you to ship it back too in order to check it out. A brand new frame of what you consider to be the best bike you have ever ridden after you rode the old one for a full season will more then make up for your shipping. Whats really sad is that your bad mouthing a company that tries and performs as well as Standard. You are messing with peoples lively hoods. I speak from experience when I say you might be a candidate for therapy. Rob.
danieldavidgregory
okays after all you guys coments about standard i will send the frame back to them today

as long as rick still offers me a new frame and pays the postage back to me and half the postage back to them.

Sorry for causing any hastle my dad just flipped at me when i said i had to pay half the 80 od pound return postage.

sorry again and i do beleave standard are the best frame out there and love mine to bits

Thanks again, Dan
DoranB
I have owned 3 Standards.....not one problem. Ever. You get a great warranty offer and still threaten legal action? (over 80 ED at that) Give me a break.

QUOTE (danieldavidgregory @ Nov 14 2009, 12:17 AM) *

jw662
Building a new Standard for my son "J-Dub" . Should be Rockin it by Morristown!

Thanks Powers bike shop, Team Accel, & Standard byke co. good2.gif
scmcgovern
QUOTE (danieldavidgregory @ Nov 14 2009, 06:42 AM) *
okays after all you guys coments about standard i will send the frame back to them today

as long as rick still offers me a new frame and pays the postage back to me and half the postage back to them.

Sorry for causing any hastle my dad just flipped at me when i said i had to pay half the 80 od pound return postage.

sorry again and i do beleave standard are the best frame out there and love mine to bits

Thanks again, Dan

80 pounds = $133.50 USD/2= $66.75 USD.... Bringing "legal action"= Stupidity

Hell... paint came off my car one time, I want them to pay for my gas to drive it there, and 1/2 of my gas on the way back too... because even thou my car drives fine, and I could get it repainted somewhere else cheaper.. I want to go though the hassle of "stirring the SH*t pot" and get what I deserve from the factory, even after my warranty has expired..

Hope everything works out for you, but please don't come back on here Bad mouthing "Standard", just for the Point of Bad Mouthing... This was your only reasoning, (3 post).. after claiming how great they are.. SH*T HAPPENS!!! Its Life.. Now grow up, and go ride..
Rich
i beleive the offer is still good....but it will be the crews call-perhaps if its a defect on there part.

i once heard in a movie -somebody said "u make Good Choice"!
u chose a standard for reasons, perhaps standard quality.

i beleive the right thing here was to ask all of us-the right thing to do about the frame/shipping... if u sent me an email-and i told u the bottom line-at that point i wouldnt reply except to tell u over and over-the bottom line.

about 10 years ago chevy i beleive it was, made customers happy about there paint defects-the customers job was to take it to a reliable source-and have it repainted-at the cost of chevy. there fuel and there time to get it there...Rick in this case went over and beyond with the offer of a new frame.

make sure u post back on here the outcome...

indylodown
whatup rich

I've not shipped alot over seas but this (80 pounds = $133.50 USD/2= $66.75 USD) seems a bit steep to me just for a frame.
90262LeeBMXs
I don't know... Maybe my math is off, but 80 EUROS sounds like a sweet deal if you compare it to the price of buying a new frame and having it shipped. After all that's what he'll be getting in the end.

I have yet to meet someone who is un-happy with their Standard. And since I live 20-30 minutes from the company, SBC is an everyday sight around my neck of the woods. I know they are the top notch company they've been branded!!!
MikeCarruth
QUOTE (90262LeeBMXs @ Nov 14 2009, 08:37 AM) *
I don't know... Maybe my math is off, but 80 EUROS sounds like a sweet deal if you compare it to the price of buying a new frame and having it shipped. After all that's what he'll be getting in the end.

Just to keep it straight, he said 80 pounds, not euros. Now, 80 pesos would be much better. Or 80 Zimbabwean dollars (which is less than .00000000000008 cents US).

M
90262LeeBMXs
Thanks Mike! I'm just a dumb American, give me a break?
nvmyslowride
I honestly would just stop posting negitive and making people mad or it will just get worse. You are getting a very good deal, and i would take it and run. This is a first I have heard of this issue over the years and Standard has used many differernt coaters to find the best one.

Call it good!
murrdog
Post some pictures of the paint flaking off.
lumpy
QUOTE (danieldavidgregory @ Nov 14 2009, 12:42 PM) *

Thanks again, Dan

I can understand where you are coming from.. It's not cheap to ship a frame overseas. But at least Rick is offering to help a bit..

Brian
AngryCalifornian
QUOTE (nvmyslowride @ Nov 14 2009, 08:21 AM) *
I honestly would just stop posting negitive and making people mad or it will just get worse.

Really? He can't voice opinion, vent, or be heard?
And who are these you mention in "making people mad?"

QUOTE (nvmyslowride @ Nov 14 2009, 08:21 AM) *
This is a first I have heard of this issue over the years and Standard has used many differernt coaters to find the best one.

Call it good!

So because it's the first you've heard of, it couldn't possibly be a legit issue? Maybe for the pure fact that they HAVE used multiple coaters to find the best one, he got one of the ones that wasn't so good or quite up to par.

Just saying. We don't need this to be a bandwagon thread giving this dude a hard time.
He had issues he thought weren't addressed, resolved, or fair.

Looks like it's getting taken care of, we can all stop worshiping SBC and move on.
QUOTE (murrdog @ Nov 15 2009, 06:19 AM) *
Post some pictures of the paint flaking off.

Maybe that ride into the surf was not such a good idea......
mothertrucker
QUOTE (AngryCalifornian @ Nov 14 2009, 12:05 PM) *
Really? He can't voice opinion, vent, or be heard?
And who are these you mention in "making people mad?"

So because it's the first you've heard of, it couldn't possibly be a legit issue? Maybe for the pure fact that they HAVE used multiple coaters to find the best one, he got one of the ones that wasn't so good or quite up to par.

Just saying. We don't need this to be a bandwagon thread giving this dude a hard time.
He had issues he thought weren't addressed, resolved, or fair.

Looks like it's getting taken care of, we can all stop worshiping SBC and move on.

We use one coater. We researched many for the sake of getting it right. Any warranty question is legit in my eyes. Sometimes they reveal a problem you can't see until later which helps us improve. I don't want any Standard customer unhappy.I don't see worship. I don't even see any anger or piling on. We just happened to get a positive response on this one. These are all legit customer's that have weighed in. The guy asked for input and got it. Including from myself. If you have any further questions address them to me and I will be happy to answer them.
Rick
Terrorabbleone
QUOTE (nvmyslowride @ Nov 14 2009, 11:21 AM) *
This is a first I have heard of this issue over the years and Standard has used many differernt coaters to find the best one.

We know you're a standard fanboy and all, but R model frames used to have bad issues with the paint sticking to them. You could look at them the wrong way and the paint would fall off.
danieldavidgregory
end of topic peeps, ive sent the frame back so cant post pics, i accept what people have said good or bad, managed to find somwhere that will send it for 60 insured so that will do..... thanks for everyones thoughts.................
tommy2x4
might get in trouble....but i love Standard!!!
indylodown
It's ok Tommy to love more than one.
XXX
I had a small finish issue a few years ago with a Gibson guitar, sent it back to the factory through my local dealer for a free repair. A few weeks go by, no word on how long it will take to get back. A week later my door bell rings, a white van in the drive, this guy walks up and ask me my name, then ask if I`m waiting on a Gibson? I`m like "uhhh yes"..... then pulls out a brand new Explorer replacing the one that I had returned. I live two hours from Nashville and they just have this guy hand deliver it to my house. Strange but true. So if your getting your guitar freak on at my house, it`s going to be with a badass Gibson.

This is why I buy what I buy. Then to read about this young mans issue being taken care of by Rick, with his offer being over the top. I am getting ready to start my winter project, which will be a new Standard cruiser, not just because it`s a great riding bike, but because you`ve got the guy`s at Standard standing behind what they make, taking pride that it`s done right. Two thumbs up for the American workers.

Up the Irons Mates good2.gif
lumpy
QUOTE (XXX @ Nov 15 2009, 06:41 PM) *
I had a small finish issue a few years ago with a Gibson guitar, sent it back to the factory through my local dealer for a free repair. A few weeks go by, no word on how long it will take to get back. A week later my door bell rings, a white van in the drive, this guy walks up and ask me my name, then ask if I`m waiting on a Gibson? I`m like "uhhh yes"..... then pulls out a brand new Explorer replacing the one that I had returned. I live two hours from Nashville and they just have this guy hand deliver it to my house. Strange but true. So if your getting your guitar freak on at my house, it`s going to be with a badass Gibson.

This is why I buy what I buy. Then to read about this young mans issue being taken care of by Rick, with his offer being over the top. I am getting ready to start my winter project, which will be a new Standard cruiser, not just because it`s a great riding bike, but because you`ve got the guy`s at Standard standing behind what they make, taking pride that it`s done right. Two thumbs up for the American workers.

Up the Irons Mates good2.gif

Wow.. Now, that's cool! Talk about above and beyond...

Brian
nvmyslowride
QUOTE (Terrorabbleone @ Nov 14 2009, 08:01 PM) *
We know you're a standard fanboy and all, but R model frames used to have bad issues with the paint sticking to them. You could look at them the wrong way and the paint would fall off.

That was paint, This is powder!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.