Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KC, MO Where are you?
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2
calvinw
Missouri and Kansas

Where are all the old riders from the tracks and bike shops?
I guess I brought this back to life popcorm1.gif So I'll move it.

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....7005760&hl=

Anybody else around?? Post it here.

sun_bespectacled.gif
John Zook
I'm from Ottawa but I always rode in KC and Lawrence..(still do) Hang with DMC on a regular basis.. actually going 2 try 2 hit every park in the KC area tomorrow..
calvinw
Hi John! I have yet to hit the tracks, but will try Saturday.

I did not know there was a track in Lawrence.

What or who is DMC? unsure.gif

Kansas guys are very welcome too......I forgot to include our twin city blush.gif and neighbor state.
calvinw
worried_anim.gif
Tom Hand
I'm here, we were racing in Grandview in 1973 to 1976. When did you?
Take care,
Tom
CurbDestroyer
QUOTE (calvinw @ Nov 12 2009, 11:47 PM) *
Hi John! I have yet to hit the tracks, but will try Saturday.

I did not know there was a track in Lawrence.

What or who is DMC? unsure.gif

Kansas guys are very welcome too......I forgot to include our twin city blush.gif
DMC . . . Dennis McCoy
splinter
Raced O.P and Lees summit back in the 80's. Now I race at Raytown and Bluesprings.
CurbDestroyer
A few of us from Kansas city, that used to race here in 1980

Got together this last summer at the summer nationals in Blue Springs. (Almost 30 year later?)

Trevor Litton, Steve Shope, Doug Pather, George Stewart, Tim Sparks (in spirit I'm sure), Drew Jameson, Tim AppleGate, Mark Fuqua, Norman Jones, Mark Denton.

calvinw
WOW! Cool ! biggrin.gif
Who are you curbdestroyer? ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I recognize every name in the picture.
I haven't seen any of those guys since 1983.

Norman Jones co-Kuwahara, and Mark Fuqua co-GT, and Doug Prather(after Skyway) rode on my team !

I started listing my old bike shop inventory on ebay 10/07
Click to view attachment
calvinw
QUOTE (Tom Hand @ Jan 2 2010, 05:41 PM) *
Take care,
Tom

Hi Tom
I worked at Pee-Dee's Schwinn in NKC, '68-'77.
I opened my shop
Calvin and Lora's Gladstone Schwinn Cyclery in '80- closed May, 1983.
I raced cruiser 81-83.
calvinw
Curbdestroyer I recognize your name, but I remember helping your Dad change your gearing at a PBMA race in 1982 tongue.gif
Nice blog, S.S.!! biggrin.gif
Ttrack Ttwo at 96th and I-435 was owned and operated by Mark and Kurt Degenhardt. Mark was my partner in the bike shop for a year, when I opened.

QUOTE (CurbDestroyer @ Jan 2 2010, 06:07 PM) *
A few of us from Kansas city, that used to race here in 1980

Got together this last summer at the summer nationals in Blue Springs. (Almost 30 year later?)

Trevor Litton, Steve Shope, Doug Prather, George Stewart, Tim Sparks (in spirit I'm sure), Drew Jameson, Tim AppleGate, Mark Fuqua, Norman Jones, Mark Denton.
CurbDestroyer
QUOTE (calvinw @ Jan 2 2010, 11:24 PM) *
Curbdestroyer I recognize your name, but I remember helping your Dad change your gearing at a PBMA race in 1982 tongue.gif
Yes we used to buy 5mm Allen wrench's by the case huh.gif We must have forgotten a tool or a disturbance in the force, because by 82 I'm sure we we're proficient enough in changing gears enough to do the Jedi Mind Gear change. I remember going to Calvin and lora's a couple of times, we didn't really get up North that much, because we lived down south.

It's hard to believe, but not one of those bike shops on the flyer is in business. The only bike shop I can remember being in business at that time, that is still in business is Midwest Cyclery.

splinter
Peddlers is still there along with Turners. Turners just moved up the road. Peddlers, I think just changed owners. Now that I look at it again Bob's is still around too. Bob's is now mainly a lawnmower shop but still has bikes. He moved up off Parallel.
kwhite89
I raced BMX in the Kansas City area, would have been real late 70's and early 80's. My name is Kris White, don't know if any of you remember me or not. I recognize a lot of the names in that picture down the thread. I live in Las Vegas now and my son just started racing so I bought a cruiser and am going to start racing again myself. Should be fun, it has got me taking a trip down memory lane. Hit me up if you remember me.

Kris
kwhite89
Can someone align the names with people in this photo. I remember almost all of the names (don't know if they remember me or not). Would be good to hear from them.

Thanks,
Kris White
calvinw
Hi Kris! Welcome! biggrin.gif

How 'bout a pic of you and your son and your new bikes. cool.gif

What was your tracks and bike shop, during your KC racing? smile.gif
What's the name and location of your Vegas shop and track(s)?

I only made it to 2 races at the Downs before it closed. Then I helped in the planning and starting of Ttrack Ttwo.

The names in the Downs reunion picture are left to right, starting in the back row. tongue.gif

C-ya',
Calvin
Calvin and Lora's Gladstone Schwinn Cyclery
kwhite89
Pic will be forthcoming (This weekend is our first race).

I rode and worked for Turners Schwinn on Santa Fe back in the day. Don't know if you would remember Charlie Pohr (shop owner). I raced two different Sting's over the years. I started racing at the Downs. After that, my memory gets a little foggy. I do remember a track that would have been located on the now College Blvd East of Antioch or Metcalf but that was near the end of my riding days. Lee's Summit rings a bell. I remember traveling to Nationals with Dan Geither, Mike Alexander, and others. Too bad to hear about Mike. If you don't know, long story.

Out here in Vegas, we got our bikes at Jt's Bicycles in Henderson. The track we will ride most is Boulder City BMX (ABA). There is another ABA track called Ed Fountain Park which we will most likely go to as well. There is a NBL track, I believe called Nellis BMX but will probably stick with ABA.

Man this is fun remembering those old days. I'm on facebook if anyone would like to reconnect. Just search my name in Vegas. Thanks for the reply and I look forward to checking back often.
kwhite89
Ps. Two questions for you Calvin,

1. Do you keep in contact with the guys in that photo?
2. Do you know where I can purchase some old Schwinn Sting decals? I'm about to get my hands on my old race bike and want to refurbish and will need the stickers.

Thanks again,
Kris
calvinw
You worked at Turner's, WOW !!!
They had 3 or 4 shops, one for each of the kids I think, when I closed May 1983.
Charlie bought all of my Schwinn stuff when I closed.

I haven't kept in touch with the guys in the picture. This is a memory lane big 'ol smile for me too!!
I actually spent more time with the parents, in the pits, or sittin' in the grandstand, BITD. I gave up BMX racing when I broke my hand. Being a bike wrench for 20 years I had to have them healthy.

Take a look at Steve Shope/curbdestroyer blog spot, http://curbdestroyer.blogspot.com/ . A lot of history in "Who is this guy?"
I guess he still works at Midwest Cyclery parttime. Some other very interesting links in it too.

When I closed, I started in the used car biz, 8 yrs., and retired from the RV biz, 17 yrs., July 2008.

Did you check with Turner's for Sting stuff?
You can put up a wanted ad here.
I see the stickers, original and repops, on ebay in parts and pieces, haven't seen a complete original or repop anywhere. Of course Schwinn only sold them seperate or pairs as I remember, not a full decal package.

Keep in touch!
cwbmx1@gmail.com
4253calvinw on ebay

I'll PM you some links to the Sting decals, soon.
calvinw
OH and Kris..Welcome to Vintage and the Hobby!
kwhite89
Calvin,

That's hilarious. My sister is packing my old Sting to send out here to Vegas for me to start my rebuild. I can't wait to see it and see what shape it is in. I do have a question that maybe you can help with. My original Sting was chrome, my second (and current) sting was red. I believe my nephew painted it when I gave it to him 7 or 8 years ago. My question is did the Stings only come in chrome and red? I want to get this as close to original as possible.

Thanks,
Kris
calvinw
Kris as far as I know chrome w/red or blue, and Cardinal red w/ red was all they sold as a complete "The Sting" bike out of the box.
But you could get other color frames from the parts division. Black, blue, silver and I remember seeing coppertone wacko.gif , BITD.

I don't see any in the museum link at the top of the page that came out of the box.

Here's a link to the old showroom catalogs...........

http://www.genesbmx.com/schwinn-bmx-catalogs.html

C-ya',
CW
CurbDestroyer
QUOTE (kwhite89 @ Jan 20 2010, 12:56 PM) *
Calvin,

That's hilarious. My sister is packing my old Sting to send out here to Vegas for me to start my rebuild. ...

Jolie?

Top Left to right: Litten, Shope, Prather
Middle L to R: Stewart, Jameson, Applegate, Fuqua
Bottom L to R: Jones, Denton
kwhite89
QUOTE (CurbDestroyer @ Jan 21 2010, 10:18 PM) *
Jolie?

Top Left to right: Litten, Shope, Prather
Middle L to R: Stewart, Jameson, Applegate, Fuqua
Bottom L to R: Jones, Denton

Yes Joli...who is this??? Shope???
CurbDestroyer
QUOTE (kwhite89 @ Jan 21 2010, 10:50 PM) *
Yes Joli...who is this??? Shope???
That's me all over laugh.gif
kwhite89
QUOTE (CurbDestroyer @ Jan 23 2010, 09:06 PM) *
That's me all over laugh.gif

Nice to hear from you Steve...I can't believe you remember my sisters name. How are things? You obviously stay in touch with the old race crowd. Do you guys get together often?
kwhite89
Here is a pic of my son and I at our first race together. What fun it was!
pquinnbmx
Do any of you guys know any Kirksville MO racers? I was from Ottumwa IA and raced there in IA in the late 70's, early 80's . Then in like 1996 or so I was racing in Newton, IA and this guy came up to me and introduced himself as being a Kirksville guy, but he moved away. He was in Newton at that race, but I think he may have moved to Minnesota or somewhere. Anywho, I forget his name. I think he said they used to drive to Ottumwa to race, and they may have had a track for a short time in Kirksville, or something. Or it did not quite get going- the one in Kirksville, maybe there were talks but it never happened. My wife is from Trenton MO. I never did go to KC back in the day, I should have, it's fairly close to Ottumwa.
calvinw
No help on the guy from Kirksville, MO.
I hauled the team and raced at the 4-H Fairgrounds indoor track in Des Moines a few times. '81-'82.

See if your wife knows of the Covey's from Trenton. Boyd's Happy Campers, now in Holt, MO. My old boss.
pquinnbmx
QUOTE (calvinw @ Jan 31 2010, 03:14 AM) *
No help on the guy from Kirksville, MO.
I hauled the team and raced at the 4-H Fairgrounds indoor track in Des Moines a few times. '81-'82.

See if your wife knows of the Covey's from Trenton. Boyd's Happy Campers, now in Holt, MO. My old boss.

The wife don't know him. Hey , Anvil is playing in KC tonight. Went to see them in austin monday- they rock. They have a movie out- a rockumentary.
skirkpat
QUOTE (calvinw @ Jan 2 2010, 10:24 PM) *
Nice blog, S.S.!! biggrin.gif
Ttrack Ttwo at 96th and I-435 was owned and operated by Mark and Kurt Degenhardt. Mark was my partner in the bike shop for a year, when I opened.

I am up here in Platte County, just started back into the bikes...getting a little carried away!

Small World, Kurt Deganhart is a partner of mine in a car dealership...funny to see his name come up, he was just tlking about the races he was involved in in the 80's
calvinw
Welcome Skirkpat!!
How is KD?
Tell him CW says Hi!
Platte Co., here too.
What is the dealership?
skirkpat
QUOTE (calvinw @ Feb 6 2010, 12:31 AM) *
Welcome Skirkpat!!
How is KD?
Tell him CW says Hi!
Platte Co., here too.
What is the dealership?

Kurt is still Kurt, talking a mile a minute....he's good though. We are just a small dealership, we mainly broke deals for people. I own Century 21 All-Pro and since Real Estate is slow we are trying anything to put food on the table. I'll tell him you said hi.

Heres one that you probably would like, it is a little pricey, but I have a little wiggle room...LOL

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/1594526105.html
calvinw
LOL!!! LOL!!! good2.gif

Take a Check ? tongue.gif

That'll look good sittin' next to my '68 SS 396 El Camino !! sarcastic.gif
mrdependable
this is a cool thread. i used to race been many years. berm busters, blue springs, shamrock, drews. i raced from about 83-95. bmx in the blood!! lets go build some trails.
calvinw
Sorry, I don't know how I missed your post, mrdependable.
kc misery sarcastic.gif that's funny, but true!!
Who are you?
PM or email me if you want to.
fook
Hey all, this is Mark Fuqua checking in. I just stumbled across the site and I feel like I am going to be burining a whole day of productivity reading through the posts! @Calvin, how are you? I remember riding for C&L Cyclery and those maroon and silver jerseys that we had made! @Curbdestroyer how did you end up in the points last year?

I just wanted to say whats up to everyone.
Mcromwell
I am way too young for this thread as I raced from 86-93 at Blue Springs and Lees summit as well as a lot of nationals. Glad to say I know a lot of you and Drew and Shope are teammates of mine now!! Cool to see old school KC people coming around. I rode for Peddlers way back when and then S and L. I still stay in touch weekly with Sam Baugh if that rings a bell to any of you guys
calvinw
fook, I am doing Grand.
I still have a couple of those Maroon and silver jerseys.
Welcome to the sight and thanks for the post.
PM sent. smile.gif

QUOTE (fook @ Jun 11 2010, 10:34 AM) *
Hey all, this is Mark Fuqua checking in. I just stumbled across the site and I feel like I am going to be burining a whole day of productivity reading through the posts! @Calvin, how are you? I remember riding for C&L Cyclery and those maroon and silver jerseys that we had made! @Curbdestroyer how did you end up in the points last year?

calvinw
Welcome to the thread Mcromwell ! smile.gif
I may be to old for this thread ! LOL!!
Good to hear from ya'
CW

QUOTE (Mcromwell @ Jun 11 2010, 12:59 PM) *
I am way too young for this thread as I raced from 86-93 at Blue Springs and Lees summit as well as a lot of nationals. Glad to say I know a lot of you and Drew and Shope are teammates of mine now!! Cool to see old school KC people coming around. I rode for Peddlers way back when and then S and L. I still stay in touch weekly with Sam Baugh if that rings a bell to any of you guys

ericw
Hey Guys, I found this site a few weeks back and was surprised to see a KS & MO group posting. I'm from Hutchinson, KS originally, lived in Overland Park for several years before moving to San Diego then back to Overland Park again for the past 12+ years. I raced mostly in Hutch, Derby (wichita) and McPherson.
I saw a few names: Mark Fuqua and Doug Prather that sounded familiar. Did you guys race for BXC in Wichita at one time? Both name sounds really familiar even after 25 year away from BMX.

I'm building a Patterson PR240 like my last race bike (PR200) and would love to connect with others building vintage bikes. If you want PM me please do I'm looking for a lot of parts and will probably have some spares too.

Here is a scanned pic from ABA action at the mile high nationals in '82 or '83.

calvinw
Welcome Eric!
Mark Fuqua just joined the thread.
I haven't heard from Doug.

Message sent, PM biggrin.gif
CurbDestroyer
QUOTE (fook @ Jun 11 2010, 10:34 AM) *

No. 19 . . . One day it will stop raining, and I'll get to race again. The year is 1/2 over. I had planned on hitting about 6 nationals this year, but with no local action for a foundation or practice. I even started building my own cruiser frame this winter.

http://curbdestroyer.blogspot.com/2010/01/bra-assssss.html

I got the front triangle done, but ran into some trouble with the chainstays and just let the ball drop, not hard to do when you don't see any racing in the future.

I got some practice in last Monday. After just riding my road bike and moutain bike for the last 6 months, it felt funny to say the least. At the end of last year I really started getting into the groove, and really started pushing my bike. But then it was November, and there you are. I was going to go to Oklahoma this last January or Feb for the national, but I was in a pinch for cash because I had to replace my furnace or something.

I think back in the 80's it just used to rain about 7 times a year. I don't remember too many races getting rained out. I remember going to Nebrask for the 5 double point weekend, and getting one or to races rained out . . . Then the infamous tornado in Ill.

Well . . . I'm still hang'n in there.
CurbDestroyer
I'm spearheading an effort to find out the history of BMX in the Kansas City area. So if you have any information about racing BMX in the Kansas City area before 1980 pm me.

From what I can find the first BMX race in my area was April 9th, 1978; at the Herman Laird Park in Shawnee.

Some suspect it was earlier than that, possibly going back to 74'
calvinw
Have you talked to Ed Bondurant? smile.gif

http://www.signsofthetimeskc.com/
CurbDestroyer
QUOTE (calvinw @ Mar 6 2011, 09:44 PM) *
Have you talked to Ed Bondurant? smile.gif

http://www.signsofthetimeskc.com/
Yes I did. He called me and said he'd have to think about it all. Hopefully he still has stuf from back then.

Aslso I just got some iinfo and seen some pictures from 75 in Grandview missouri. Remember gary's Bike Mart?

Can't believe we are getting close to talking about events 40 years old.
CurbDestroyer
QUOTE (Tom Hand @ Jan 2 2010, 05:41 PM) *
Take care,
Tom

We're tracking down the origins of BMX in KC. Today I did a little research and found some history about the Garys Bike Mart crew.

I found this article you wrote.
http://bmxsociety.com/topic/39585-some-han...mp;#entry354898

You seem like a guy I need to talk to, that is if you still come to this forum.
Kwhite27
Just realized I had already signed up on this site. Been spending more time at the other site and kinda forgot about this one. Glad to see this thread is still alive. I guess it's safe to delete kwhite89 as I don't remember that login info. laugh.gif
Tom Hand
Interesting that this string is still growing. Love to find some more of the 74 to 76 folks if they still are around1!
Tom Hand
calvinw
One of my old team riders from 81-83 is a teacher.
His students looked him up on the internet and showed him this thread.

I mentioned team names early on in the posts.
Now I have been in touch with 3 of my old racing team.

Cool!!! sun_bespectacled.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.