Full Version: 2010 Midwest Oldschool BMX Show & Swap
VintageBMX.com > BMX Events & Gatherings > Member Gatherings
bmx-dad

FREEDOM BMX FUND RAISER
Saturday February 13th 2010
Ford Union Hall Local # 551
13550 Torrence Ave, Chicago Illinois
OLDSCHOOL BMX BICYCLE SHOW & SWAP

TROPHYS , FOOD , T-SHIRTS , RAFFLES , FUN !
MORE INFO TO COME SOON

VISIT : www.FREEDOMBMX.NET
MOREYRACING
Chi Town? What are the classes? Sure have it on the weekend of my anniversary.
Capt. Nemo
SWEET!

A little closer to home this time!
Moosegoose Nick
Can't wait.. smile.gif
seracingman
Sweeeeeeeeeet This is one of the best shows
ELF_DUDE
hmmm i might be able to make it
BIRD6961
cant wait either ed i will let ya no more details as to set up as soon as i find out
Average Joe
Ed, the artwork is awesome!

Looking forward to this great event. I hope I can make it.
monocoquemike
I am planning on being there, but you guys know how it is! laugh.gif I probably won't be confirmed until the night before...lol...Hopefully I don't have the H1-N1 virus like I did at last years show, so I can bring some bikes this time!

bmx-dad
All right guys we are going to change up the schedule a little this year.
Our plan is to have the show then a dinner banquette with a guest speaker.

Not trying to steal anything from rockford , but it seems to work ..
The plan is to give it a try and see how it works out.

SO I am asking for some feed back.

so far the schedules going to look something like this :
9:00-10:00 set up.
10:00-2:00 voting- bsing.
2:00 show ends ballots must be in.
3:00 Banquette starts, if you didnt buy a ticket you must leave.
3:30 -? Food served, Guest Speaker speaks, Awards, Raffle.

FEED BACK PLEASE... .....

I had one person ask to add an hour more to voting -bsing.
Jeff V
What???? The show that started in Indiana, and has always been in Indiana is now in Illinois? Seemed like it wasn't broke, why try and fix it? Not sure about the direction it's going...we already have Rockford.
bmx-dad
Jeff it cant be in your back yard every year ..lol
I hope your not sore because we didnt except the indoor track ,We all know you cant raise funds at a track for another track. Besides there isnt enough room in there for the people this show has been bringing in.

Illinois i agree with you on this BUT it is right over the border besides the hall was the right size and price for our budget. It also has a seperate banquette hall for the dinner. I didnt think the illinois thing was that big of a deal ,I will look for a hall in indiana but this ones going to be hard to beat.

The change is the banquette dinner with a guest speker instead of a lunch.
Any problems with that?

If any one feels the need to help out run this thing my phones allways on. 219-381-5135 I can use as much help as i can get.
dsmith
yes that show in valpo was great.i was there..there's more of a chance ill make it in ind.... .blizzard and all.but ill still try to make it to il.
Todzilla
Ed, i heard a rumor tonight it is no longer going to be at the union hall. Said you were looking for another location.
BIRD6961
todzilla it was another bad rumor the union hall is a go
Todzilla
Thanks for clarifying that it was only a rumor. smile.gif

{nsra65}
Just wish some thing like this would happine down here in Memphis ....

Man' That want happine ......Really memphis has never had a Show like that here ..

As i recall ...Never ....

Hard to people together down here .....I even put a ad on craiglist .For something ,Silimar to this ......Nothing ...No feeback's ,NO Respon's ......LOL'' I just gave up ...
bmx-dad
nsra- Just do it they will come........

Tod, Jason and I met with the guy who runs the hall last night and booked it . Its all good. Some people are negative no matter how you size it up.

It is in illinois but the hall is to good to pass up. Jason got us the hook up on this.

The floor space for the show is double last years area with a seprate hall with kitchen in the same building for the banquette.
This building may be a good home for this show we will see how well it works out this year.

I am going to post the schedule of events and classes next week.
I really wanted some feedback from you all on the schedule and classes.

Please post it up here or pm me on the side.
ELF_DUDE
always good to see things move to a higher level hope it goes good ed am putting in for the day off of work as soon as i get back to work
Keep_It_Warm
I'm looking forward to it Ed
bmx-dad
Guys this is how the classes been for years past, any new suggestions?

CLASSES FOR THE SHOW:
1970's 20"
80-84 20"
85-90 20"
90 and up 20"
Cruisers all years
Free Style all years
Best Of Show all years all models
There will be a first , second and third place trophy for each class EXCEPT best of show will receive only one

FEEDBACK PLEASE...
BIRD6961
sounds good
monocoquemike
Can someone send me a message with Tim's phone number? (Don't post it on here!)

Thanks! biggrin.gif
ELF_DUDE
Any updates ED? i know christmas season kind of drags us in many differant areas but any way to fire this thread up. Anything special planned for this year? I know you spoke about maybe a guest speaker any thoughts? Any chance to obtaining a address for the HAll so i can possibly find hotel in area?

Any info on the hall Ed? Any info on menu for food?

The classes are us usual but wouldnt it be a bit more if you dropped the 3rd place idea and made classes like this

70's 1st-2nd
80-84 1st -2nd
85-90 1st-2nd
91-97 1st-2nd
freestyle 1st-2nd
cruiser class 1st-2nd
race bike class 1st
retro class 1st-2nd
BEST OF SHOW ( 1 trophy )

Not telling you how to do it but you asked for ideas and i feel since it is a very race inspired show and a portion of the money made going towards the track would be cool to have a class for the bikes you would see at the track compete in there own class. Maybe some sort of 1st place donation made from the track to the winner of the award like a free weekend practice session or free lunch at the track and a free weekend training session, Maybe even 1st place award for best race bike be a custom made number plate to the winner to be used for the 2010 season, Maybe a Free tune up on there racer for winning. The options are endless

And The #1 midwest militia question

IS THERE A BAR AT THE HALL?
ELF_DUDE
ok found the address DUHHHHHHH
monocoquemike
I have a few bikes that were made in 1999, so I like the 90's and up category... cool.gif

I got my green technique finished, so I will be bringing it! happy.gif
Average Joe
QUOTE (bmx-dad @ Nov 26 2009, 12:59 AM) *
Guys this is how the classes been for years past, any new suggestions?

CLASSES FOR THE SHOW:
1970's 20"
80-84 20"
85-90 20"
90 and up 20"
Cruisers all years
Free Style all years
Best Of Show all years all models
There will be a first , second and third place trophy for each class EXCEPT best of show will receive only one

FEEDBACK PLEASE...

All,
I'd like to see the 80-84 class broken up to reward more worthy bikes.
I think this was the heyday of BMX. I recall last year counting 6-7 bikes in the 80-84 class that were deserving of first or second place IMHO. Maybe do:
80-82
83-85

Also, if retro is included as James suggested I'd limit it to one trophy; they just don't have the same soul as the 70's & 80's bikes.

Lastly, is there anything you can do about the weather? LOL

Thanks,
Joe
GR8BNDINI
Im diggin the idea of a retro class. biggrin.gif
ELF_DUDE
yeah having a single award for the retro class is a good idea but The retro class is becoming a popular showing with the retro quads the pk and seeing more home-grown builds and modification builds so just make sure the class is filled with correct entries we will see it is a larger class that could use a 2nd place. I dont think there would be a decsrimination against the technique mike LOL. It would be cool to see a much more detailed class of the 80's in general think the splitting of the class in the middle of the 80's. ED you around brotha
bmx-dad
GUYS this is the feed back ive been wanting to hear!

The 90's class change up is great idea should we make it retro or the 91-97? or try bolth?
I had a suggestion to split up cruisers into 70's class and an 80's class ?? what you guys think?

I am using traditional style trophys this year like james does (not as big) money is short and time is a factor . Unless any one wants to take over the project for home made style tropys like in the past let me know.
I need to see how many trophys i have to see how many classes we can make.

This year we are having a Banquet style dinner with a guest speaker/ slide show.

JASON PARRITT who grew up in Illinois and raced his career in the midwest holding lots of big accomplishments while growing up. Jason and Brett are working on a slide show presentation. While Jason is speaking we will be serving food and doing the raffles and trophies. This will happen after the show in the same building. There will be concessions going thru the day also.If any one has any thing special they would like to do durring the banquet let me know so we can get a schedule of events going.
I am going to try to contact the Chicago Flat land guys again this year for them to do a show, The hall this year is so big there should be plenty of room for them to ride indoors.

The t-shirt design is at the top of this post and I want to thank Jay Quadzilla for his time on the art work.I am waiting to hear back from Mike C on tshirt costs and to see about getting a projector to use for the day.

After the holidays I will be posting up a schedule of events and a Banquette -tshirt package to buy thru pay-pal.

~~WE NEED DONATIONS FOR THE RAFFLE TABLE~~
As of now the table is bare, I know BULLSEYE is in this year with some good things.
Dions shop will be donating.
Ball Park Franks donated the goody bags.
If anyone has a CONNECTIONS FOR DONATIONS please let me know what i can do to secure them.

Drinking, we cant serve any, bring your own cups.

I am sorry to be behind on the show , I had a death in the family and some personal things to take care of. I will be on track after the holidays. Ed

BIRD6961
huh..........what can i talk about wink.gif
ELF_DUDE
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE ???????????????????????????
FIRE THIS THREAD UP
I AM MORE EXCITED ABOUT THE WENDYS NEW SPICEY CHICKEN NUGGETS AT THIS POINT LOL
cheez
Those are yummy.

Capitolize Marseilles there spud
MyBike1
[size="3"][/size]Just my 2 cents here... I would like to see some sort of display for those of us that still have our old race bikes from the early 80's ...and we don't want to restore... battle scars and everything. ...just sayin'
ELF_DUDE
survivers always tell the best story
bmx-dad
~~WE NEED DONATIONS FOR THE RAFFLE TABLE~~
As of now the table is bare,
I know BULLSEYE is in this year with some good things.
Dions shop will be donating.
Ball Park Franks donated the goody bags.
Kenda Tires donated some tires and decals for the goody bags
Mcs some decals for the bags.
We maybe getting some retro pad sets from FLITE.
We have a donation from a private collector of some goodys.
We will be giving away some track passes as well.

If anyone has a CONNECTIONS FOR DONATIONS please let me know what i can do to secure them.

We have no complete bikes yet, if some one can help out as this usually helps sell tickets.
I want to thank everyone who has helped with the restorations of the raffle bikes in the years past.
If any one want to start a project like this again use this page here to get some talk on it.
When i get the food and package details i will start a new thread with pay-pal link to get everyone pre registered.

Also looking for GEORGE MONTE contact info, recentlly lost my phone and contacts.please dont post it here pm me.

In other good news SANTA brought me a progector for x-mas so this should be covered.

Any one have a contact for getting tshirts made? I need a final price so i can get a final cost on the pre registration packages deal.let me know who does shirts?

We have 9 trophys for classes with 1 for best of show I need to know what 8 classes you guys want?
1970's 20"
80-82 20"
83-85 20"
86-90 20"
90-2000
2000 and up 20"
Cruisers all years
Free Style all years

This years awards will be 1st and 2nd place only.

Again give me some feedback here?
monocoquemike
Those classes sound good to me...Ya can't please everyone! I like the idea of a survivor class, but if that's not in the books for this year it's all good. I think if you write "survivor" on the entry card most of us take note of that while voting. I think it's a lot cooler to have a survivor with a few chips, scratches, and road rash than a re-finished bike...
BIRD6961
i agree with the survivor class. and i do have a few. but to whose discretion is it a survivor. people put new stickers new tires etc... and call it a survivor. to me that isnt a survivor.jmo
MyBike1
Yeah... judging a survivor would be difficult at best, I would just like a place to display my old racer with the option of NOT having it judged.
Capt. Nemo
Bring 'em. You don't have to enter them if you don't want to. I haven't. Entered them in the contest, that is.
Moosegoose Nick
Just a question,

so far the schedules going to look something like this :
10:00-2:00 voting- bsing.
2:00 show ends ballots must be in.
3:00 Banquette starts, if you didnt buy a ticket you must leave.
3:30 -? Food served, Guest Speaker speaks, Awards, Raffle.

What if someone wins but doesn't buy a banquet ticket? Will they have to forefit the award?
bmx-dad
This is a new idea we are trying this year and if it doesnt work out we can switch back the following year.
I suppose you could crash the banquet, although this is a fundraiser and we hope everyone knows that the food sales are what helps pays for the show.
In addition to the banquet, Cyndi is going to be running a bake sale during the day and some concessions wil be available. Looking like its going to be good!

I talked to a few guys about the survivor class and we came to the conclusion to will bring up to much controversy, so best to keep it out.

more to come soon
bmx-dad
I didnt read the question all the way thru,
IF you are voted by the guys to win an award you will get it that day or at rockford when we gather next.

No forfitting allowed...lol...

The raffle tickets will be sold all day and done before the dinner/ awards banquette starts.
bmx-dad
how does this look for classes?
1970's 20"
80-82 20"
83-85 20"
86-90 20"
91 and up 20"
Retro 20"
Cruisers all years
Free Style all years

The only switch might be to drop the 91 and up class for the survivor class?

FEED BACK PLEASE

monocoquemike
QUOTE (bmx-dad @ Jan 4 2010, 07:00 PM) *
The only switch might be to drop the 91 and up class for the survivor class?

FEED BACK PLEASE

If you don't have the 91 and up class, I can't enter any of my bikes! laugh.gif After I did some thinking about it, the "survivor" class would cause too much controversy like you said.
bmx-dad
9th annual Midwest Oldschool BMX Show

Freedom BMX Fund Raiser
Saturday February 13th 2010
Ford Union Hall Local # 551
13550 Torrence Ave, Chicago Illinois
OLDSCHOOL BMX BICYCLE SHOW & SWAP

The 9th annual Midwest Oldschool Show

Guest Speaker Midwest Oldschooler JASON PARRATT.
$35.00 Pre-Registration Includes :
1 Banquet Food Ticket
1 Show T-shirt
10 Raffle tickets.

T-shirts are pre-register only,No T-shirts sold at the show.
T-shirt only pay-pal $20.00.
Banquet Tickets the day of show is $20.00.

PAY-PAL : arn02@msn.com please include T-shirt Size.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Schedule of events:

10:00-2:00 Voting.

2:00 Show Ends Voting Ballots turned in.

2:30 Raffles are done.

3:00 Banquet Starts

3:30 Guest speaker , Food seved, Awards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Class for show are as follows:

1970's 20 inch 1st and 2nd place.

1980-82 20 inch 1st and 2nd place.

1983-85 20 inch 1st and 2nd place.

1986-90 20 inch 1st and second place.

1991 and up 20 inch 1st and 2nd place.

Retro 1st and 2nd place.

Cruisers all years 1st and 2nd place.

Freestyle all years 1st and 2nd place.

Best Of Show

Spectator entry is Free, Showing your bike is Free, Parking is Free ! !

BANQUET DINNER, TROPHYS , FOOD , T-SHIRTS , RAFFLES ,PARTS, BIKES, BIKES AND MORE BIKES.. FUN !
MORE INFO TO COME SOON .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.