Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHiPs BMX Episode
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
frontlinebmxer
If this has been posted already, I apologize. But if you haven't seen it before, enjoy.

http://www.fancast.com/tv/CHiPs/88950/1049...-CHP-BMX/videos
bradshimmin
Thanks for posting that link. Fantastic! What a strange mixture of pewee football and BMX that was. I love the whistles and stop watches and the coaching. Wow: "Ok, Into the berm! Hit it high, hit it fast!" "Always land on your back wheel Jimmie!" But at least they steered clear of the "peddle peddle peddle" admonition we all know and love. The "push it Jimmie, push it push it!" is far superior in my book.

Seriously, though, that track looks like it would be a gas to ride, mud section and all. I would love to put down a foot around a flat turn like that. I miss that sort of thing. However, I'm not quite sure I could get behind a 42.8 second track, even if I wanted to. smile.gif

b.
Paolo
Ponch don't mess around! In fact, he's so cool, this smiley was designed after him! cool.gif Awesome.
Lonewolf
I love how, for one single episode, all the cops are suddenly BMX gurus. The son asked for a ride home but Catrier Said: "I have to get the "equipment" repaired for Central." Meaning BMX bikes. -As though he was loading a bunch of football pads in the bed of the truck or as if they were training a bunch of fast kids on borrowed bikes.

I didn't see the whole thing, but yes. Very interesting mix of BMX racing and pewee football. The whistle really knocked me out!

Thanks for posting though.
steve smith
So how many riders can you identify ?I seen chalie litsky ,renny roker laugh.gif
The kid trying out looked a lil like craig reynolds [just teasin craig wink.gif ]
Funny side note many might not know.Early in bmx in ohio there was a shop from ky that used to come up to the locals and they were a grass roots wilcox team [from the chips show larry wilcox] the shop was moto moms and was mrs levan .Jimmy levan and suzie were team wilcox riders if i remember correctly.
Rick_K
WOW, Timmy really got creamed by that car. huh.gif I don't remember that part..
mainbiker
I wonder if this episode inspired him to race Jason Bateman at the 1984 or 1985 NBL War of the Stars in Azusa? He ended up breaking his leg.
Ponch
"Timmy" looks a little stiff in his riding.

cornfed
Hey, right about the 40:00 mark, when all the Mongoose & Jag riders are together, there is a guy sitting in the bleachers w/ a Robinson hat. Is that Chuck Robinson?
bradshimmin
The man, the myth:

Racer
I just watched till thes tiff scene. Thanks for posting, havent seen this I was a lad.
I noticed the Torker and Saftey Cycle Banners in the background. So cool being able to pause and go full screen etc.
Again thanks for the link.
Cook Bros Seeker
Never seen that one. Jimmy getting hit was pretty graphic for a 70s pre-computer tech TV show. Love the JAG bikes. I always wanted the Team Jag with the suede seat. It was too expensive then and because of us collectors the bike too expensive now.

Great link. Thanks.
ScottjBrown
"Man, I don't drink milk for nobody." LOL That line was pure gold!

My dad reminded me that we used to race at that track; even took a clinic there with Harry Leary.
Racer
That was the Van Nuys Valley Teen Center for those that dont know. It was still racing when i moved to Cal but I was down in OC with no car and never got to see it. Anyone know what is at that location now? Or when the track closed?
MADmanRAN
This was filmed at Monrovia BMX ..That was a long time ago. popcorm2.gif sarcastic.gif
cheez
QUOTE (Ponch @ Oct 22 2009, 05:48 PM) *
"Timmy" looks a little stiff in his riding.

and his cranks must only be about 2 inches long, see ya sting ray
Walter Holda
Did anybody here ride in that episode? I'm sure we'd like to here some of the behind the scenes details. ESTRAAAADAAA.....ESTRAAADAA sun_bespectacled.gif
ScottjBrown
QUOTE (MADmanRAN @ Oct 29 2009, 12:38 PM) *
This was filmed at Monrovia BMX ..That was a long time ago. popcorm2.gif sarcastic.gif

I thought it was at one of the Azusa tracks?
jerry a hutcher
Should have called that show TOOLS....Freaking dorks!!lol...
Racer
Wow all these years and I thought it was Van Nuys lol.
I saw the old Azusa track behind the YMCA or Library one time. Never saw the USBA track (Azusa) or Monrovia tracks.
Is the track spot still there in Monrovia or is it a building now?
mainbiker
Drove by Monrovia a couple weeks ago. There are houses there now. Uncommon Valor was filmed at the Azusa NBL track.
bripper
Classic. Looked like the new bike mongoose or jag had some dura-ace cranks. When he crashed in the mud was classic. No one in the stands were drinkin 40's- not so-cal style.
MPDano
Wow, cool thread! I used to race all the SoCal Tracks back in the 80's. I pretty much dominated Devonshire Downs and Van Nuys. I think I was 16 Expert at that time. I started out at Ascot Racing, then turned Expert there and started racing Monrovia, etc with a Bike Shop I was sponsored with (Magic Mushroom Cyclery out of Glendale, CA). Yeah a corny name for a Bike Shop but was fun as a team. Out colors was Green/White Uniforms. I had LEO on the back of my BMX Pants and PRIMO and the back of my Echo Full Face Helmet.

Would to hear from the old skool crowd around this time.

I also remember smoking an 18 expert when I was 16 at Canyon Country. Was perfect timing as I was trying to impress my new girlfriend who was there. Musta worked <--- got me some wink.gif
Chris S
Has anyone seen a link that works to get to this CHiP's episode?
CharleyGnarlyP290
Chris, I have a couple that work. When I get back to the house later I will PM them to you.
MPDano
QUOTE (CharleyGnarlyP290 @ Apr 8 2011, 06:43 AM) *
Chris, I have a couple that work. When I get back to the house later I will PM them to you.

Why PM. Post it!
CharleyGnarlyP290
Will do! (when I get home...)
muxherdlr
+1 Would like to see episode!
MPDano
I also wanna see. I still remember the tracks so i can help identify it as well.
MPDano
I found this on YouTube where Timmy get's Eff'd up. Hard to tell but I do remember Monrovia starting on a small hill and turning right, so it's probably Monrovia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kebh7wg6d54
Speedrcr
I was just talking to Danny Oakley about that episode over the weekend. He was in it and remembered that being a very cool deal. I had totally fogotten all about it until he brought it up.
Mr. Smith
Speedrcr,

I wonder if I can find these episodes on the internet ?

It's very distant but I remember such episodes.

Rob
MPDano
QUOTE (Mr. Smith @ Mar 2 2012, 05:20 AM) *
Speedrcr,

I wonder if I can find these episodes on the internet ?

It's very distant but I remember such episodes.

Rob

Is Post #30 invisible or something?
76 Mongeese
Just saw CHiPs season 2 episode 7 (4 Nov. 1978). They break up a car theft ring - after they strip a Corvette at curbside in broad daylight. While pulling the thieves from the wrecked getaway van, a pedestrian wearing a Robinson trucker's hat. The cool thing is, it appeared to be a dirty hat - not a new hat worn just for product placement. It had been around the block a time or 2 and it stood out very well - front and center! Very cool!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.