Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 10 years at Rockford!
VintageBMX.com > BMX Events & Gatherings > Rockford BMX Collectors' Gathering
willinois
I started this on another post once, but I don't think we finished it. Who spoke at Rockford over the past 10 years? I will try and get us started, but I was only there in 2004, 2006, 2007 & 2008:

2000 - No Speaker?
2001 - Craig (gOrk) Barrette
2002 - Greg Hill?
2003 - Scot (OM) Breithaupt?
2004 - Greg Hill
2005 - Harry Leary
2006 - Bob Osborn
2007 - Bob Haro
2008 - Woody Itson
2009 - (Stompin') Stu Thomsen

Is this correct?
Paul Springer
I could be mistaken but Harry Leary & Bob Osborn need to switch years.

2006 was my first Rockford and I am pretty sure it was Harry Leary (?)
willinois
Good catch, you are correct Paul!

2000 - No Speaker?
2001 - Craig (gOrk) Barrette
2002 - Greg Hill?
2003 - Scot (OM) Breithaupt?
2004 - Greg Hill
2005 - Bob Osborn
2006 - Harry Leary
2007 - Bob Haro
2008 - Woody Itson

Did Greg Hill actually speak twice (2002 and 2004)??
I found the 2002 reference from an archived vintage thread written by Ken Pliska:
http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....wtopic=27010907
willinois
Anyone, Anyone? Bueller?
Bill Curtin
2000 - just a gas grill and a bunch of guys sitting around
2001 - Jim Melton & gOrk (Guests of Honor), Jim spoke.
2002 - Scott Town emceed with Steve the dummy.
2003 - Scot (OM) Breithaupt
2004 - Greg Hill
2005 - Bob Osborn
2006 - Harry Leary
2007 - Bob Haro
2008 - Woody Itson

That is the list.. Bill Curtin
willinois
Thanks Bill! smile.gif
Ken Pliska
Pulled this from an Old ROOST post about our second annual Rockford Gathering in June 2001:

Redline, ROOSTBMX.com, OldSchoolBMX.com
Old School Museum - Rockford 2001
By: Tim Lillethorup

I'm still on a a huge high from our Rockford event! This was the most fun I've had in MANY years! It was an honor to be among all of you, many friends old and new.

Having been away from BMX all these years, it was like cramming 20 years of BMX into one awesome weekend. I woke up at 4:30 Sunday morning, and my mind was like a VCR playing back all the great times we had at the track, then at the banquet.

Paul Smith....you da man! Thanks for working so hard to organize the event and banquet. Jason Leikam and Kevin O'Donnell.....you dogs! Look what you started man! It's AWESOME! Thank you all so much for making this an event to remember! gOrk, thank you for the space by the Redline trailer. It was very cool to have you speak at the banquet and to spend some time talking about our days at ABA, and even cooler to compete with you and Towne in the "Editors" Cruiser division! (Towne blew our doors off!) Scott, do you give lessons on how to look cool on the track? I know a 200lb Cornhusker who needs a few tips! hehehe...

Speaking of COBRA leader Towne. I didn't know I could be so entertained! Awesome job as banquet MC! But I know your little SE buddy Steve did all the work! I can't wait to play back the tape!

Some of the best moments of the weekend were speaking with Jim Melton and watching him win the ROOST NORA Cup Award for Best Old School Bike for JMC. To top that off with Venekamp's JMC "Andy Patterson" winning Best of Show in the 20" division was a remarkable event.

Bill and Hal from OldSchoolBMX.com, you guys rock! It was great meeting you and I look forward to hosting more Old School / ROOST events with you guys. Bill, you are a walking BMX encyclopedia! The guys on my team were amazed at your knowledge!

You guys from the Great Northwest are amazing! Pliska you are what BMX is all about! To recover from 3 shoulder injuries, drive all the way from Oregon, then race like a bat out hell. You rule! Ben Joy...what a super nice guy! Thanks for bringing the valuable Old School tapes for our viewing pleasure. I will handle them with gloves in my stainless steel, vacumm sealed editing suite! Next time you'd better bring your Cruiser Ben! Roger Linder....heal up fast buddy! Seeing you shot me right back to 1981 and the early days of cruiser racing. What a gas!

I know there are guys I'm leaving out, you ALL are my heros! Thanks for making Rockford 2001 a great memory! I can't wait for next year!

ROOST NORA CUP RESULTS
At Saturday night's banquet we presented awards to Jim Melton as "Honorary Guest", Craig "gOrk" Barrette as "Honorary Guest Speaker", Jeff Venekamp for his "Best 20" Bike" - a pristine JMC Andy Patterson, and Phil Delfield for "Best Cruiser" - an immaculate 26" Torker from the early days of Cruiserdom.

We also presented the 2001 ROOST NORA CUP awards, established by visitors to ROOSTBMX.com. Voting for "Number One Old School Rider" was close. The award went to Stu Thomsen, who grabbed the lead by only 2 votes over Joe Baumert. gOrk represented Redline and accepted the award for Stu. It was fitting that "Number One Old School Bike" award went to JMC. With Jim Melton present, the night belonged to JMC. "Number One Old School Team" went to the former SE Racing. All Old School racers respect the SE colors established by the legendary Scot Breithaupt.

Below are photos

For the record, Jim and Vera made it out to the Rock in 2001, 2003 and 2005
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.