Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ottumwa Iowa "30 years of BMX" reuninon
VintageBMX.com > BMX Events & Gatherings > Member Gatherings
pquinnbmx
For my 8000th post on vintage, I thought I may take the time to float this idea: We started racing in Ottumwa, IA in 1979. For the 30th anniverary, I think I may get something going in October. I am headed up there this weekend for a wedding, so I can snoop around and see what is available- I may look into a hotel meeting room-or the new civic center deal.
pquinnbmx
Anywho, the plan is for me to head up there in October for the Iowa- Michigan football game, and do it all that weekend -somehow. If i get lucky, Ottumwa may be in the middle of Octoberfest and maybe homecoming as well, or something.
guest_070901
You know I'm up for it.
Hopefully Riverside Cyclery can be the center of organizing something....that means you Josh. wink.gif
Bryan Franklin
I hope that you can put something together. It would be cool to see everyone again.
1SIDEHACKER
A reunion would be cool, because I was there from the get go. Have some pics from there. I wanted to do the same for the CRBMXC but wasn't as gung ho as I'm now, maybe later. Bryon knows me and maybe you do to. I'll be watching for more. Todd
pquinnbmx
QUOTE (1SIDEHACKER @ Jun 3 2009, 02:19 AM) *
A reunion would be cool, because I was there from the get go. Have some pics from there. I wanted to do the same for the CRBMXC but wasn't as gung ho as I'm now, maybe later. Bryon knows me and maybe you do to. I'll be watching for more. Todd

Todd? very cool. We had an iowa thread going, well, a midwest thread recently, maybe we need to get that thing going again...
guest_070901
Pat, I took an old yellow oval number plate down to Riverside Cyclery. Can put a number 30 on it then When folks stop in from the old era Josh will have em sign it.
Bryan, maybe we can get together with the wives for dinner some night in IC. then i can pick up that resto project you mentioned and you can sign that plate. Or maybe Jerry D. can bring it up to CR next time he's racing and have you guys sign it that remember the Ottumwa track?

Hopefully we can all get together for something.
pquinnbmx
OK, it is coming along. Looks like we shall meet Friday nite, OCT. 9th. I have a possible place to meet, the owner of the place called me back today and we are 99% on for there, just need to finalize it. Then also Sunday in the afternoon, I wish to have another deal, maybe a powerpoint presentation like at Rockford. Maybe Bridgeview for Sunday. Saturday I am in Iowa City for Michigan slaughter, I mean game. You guys up for it? I think maybe we can get 30 or more people to show up Friday, I hope.
pquinnbmx
BTW, Oktoberfest is the week before this I believe, and I think Ottumwa high is playing out of town in Des Moines, so we don't have those conflicts.
Bryan Franklin
Hey Pat,

Sounds like things are coming together really good. Any new updates?
pquinnbmx
QUOTE (Bryan Franklin @ Sep 12 2009, 02:26 AM) *
Hey Pat,

Sounds like things are coming together really good. Any new updates?

Here is the plan: Fiday Nite meet at Frontrunner's bar and grill on Church St. in Ottumwa. Saturday at 9:00 am meet at the old bmx track in the park- for old bike show and swap and social gathering. Saturday nite I'm off to Iowa City for some football. This is coming up quickly. 10-9-09, and 10-10-09.
Bryan Franklin
I'm out for Friday night. My wife works late that night so I will be hauling the kids around. Plus it is her birthday too. I doubt she wants to hang with my BMX buds from BITD. laugh.gif
Not sure if I can make it for Saturday morning. I will let you know when I find out for sure.

I do know one thing for sure......there is going to be a surprise guest show up on Saturday that will blow you guys out of the water with all of his stuff from the early days of Iowa BMX.
Somebody needs to have a computer handy to download all of his pictures from D&N, Newton, Iowa City, etc.....He even has pics from the Jag World Championships in Indy.

You guys are in for a great trip down the Iowa BMX memory lane! good2.gif
pquinnbmx
really? surprise guest? cool. I have been trying to get the word out there for some folks to show up... just checked the weather report, next saturday, looks like 56 deg and sunny. Let us hope. I even put the thing on craigslist. I just returned from the iowa-arkansas st game watch at our local iowa club site here in austin. That was close. Last week I watched the penn st game with Cash. Pretty cool to sit down with a bmx buddy for some football.
1SIDEHACKER
QUOTE (pquinnbmx @ Sep 29 2009, 08:43 AM) *
Here is the plan: Fiday Nite meet at Frontrunner's bar and grill on Church St. in Ottumwa. Saturday at 9:00 am meet at the old bmx track in the park- for old bike show and swap and social gathering. Saturday nite I'm off to Iowa City for some football. This is coming up quickly. 10-9-09, and 10-10-09.

I plan on Saturday, but I need the name of the park or an address. It has been a long time since I've been there.Is it next to some baseball fields?Looking forward to this gathering.
pquinnbmx
Yes, it is called ottumwa park, behind the babe ruth fields. I was having trouble with the address. Behind Happy Joe's or Taco John's on church st. The address is probably hwy 63.
pquinnbmx
These are directions for sports teams like tennis and baseball: Greater Ottumwa Park, coming from the north, such as Des Moines:

From Hwy. 63, take exit 40 onto Hwy 149/business 63. Go south into Ottumwa. Cross the river to the junction of hwy 34 - continue straight south onto Ferry st. Approx. one half mile is entrance to the park, turn left into park, go behind the Legion and Babe Ruth ball fields.
pquinnbmx
google maps calls it "riverside park" -type "riverside park, ottumwa ia" into google maps
pquinnbmx
dang it, now the weather is not co-operating. 46 degrees as a high? I have been in Texas too long, will this kill an outside deal in a park?
pquinnbmx
people are telling me to keep on keepin' on- who cares about 46 degrees? we are tough iowegians.
pquinnbmx
I am here, made it to Ottumwa. Time to party. Tonite at front runner's. The weather is chilly but good football weather.
Bryan Franklin
So what happened?

Did you guys still get together even though it was so cold?

Details......I need to hear all of the details. biggrin.gif
pquinnbmx
QUOTE (Bryan Franklin @ Oct 13 2009, 01:24 AM) *
So what happened?

Did you guys still get together even though it was so cold?

Details......I need to hear all of the details. biggrin.gif

yes, your friend came down. he had some amazing films of some track near CR that I never heard of.

first of all, we got together friday nite for karaoke. just us ottumwa guys. it was fun. then, I got up at 8:00am hungover, it was like 28 degrees and snow flurries, so I go over there to the bmx track, or where the track used to be, and said - in a sign I made-that we could meet at the local bike shop- inside where it's warm. so I go out to breakfast where it's warm, go home, start getting ready for the hawkeye game at 7:00 pm against michigan. so then about 1:00 pm the bike shop calls and your friend is there! Mzing? stayed there from 1-3pm or so. a couple hours. then off to the michigan game, and after we won, I got on the big ten network in the background during their interview with running back adam robinson. amazing weekend for sure. we got to iowa city at 6 for a 7 o'clock game, so we cut that one close. I guess your friend saw the sign at the track and went to the shop! his name sounded familiar. but I did not really know him from the old days. he knew guys that I knew, though. it was great of him to drive that far! cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.