Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old St. Louis area tracks question?
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2, 3
PUNKAHONTAS
For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the track I used to ride at the most. Granted, it was only for a couple of seasons and this was like 20+ years ago so cut me some slack.

It was out by St. Anthony's Medical Center (Sappington Rd., Tesson Ferry, Highway 21, Kennerly Road). South of St. Louis and west of highway 55. I think it got leveled in the mid 80's for hospital expansion. I don't think it was sanctioned but if it was, it was probably an NBL track. Sound familiar to anyone?

Also, I think I raced at Plantation a few times. Where exactly in north county was that?

Thanks.
b.cal
I don't remember the one off of Sappington......but the Plantation was located at 270 and Lilac.
snickadams
The Plantation was off of Lilac and ran by the Capsticks (I think). It was the first ABA track in the St. Louis area. The other tracks in the area that I recall are Collinsville, Illinois, Bonzai, and South County.

Both Collinsville and Bonzai were downhill tracks and South County was flat. All three were NBL.
b.cal
You're forgetting Supercross on MO. Bottom Rd.
Duck
QUOTE (PUNKAHONTAS @ May 18 2009, 10:49 PM) *
For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the track I used to ride at the most. Granted, it was only for a couple of seasons and this was like 20+ years ago so cut me some slack.

It was out by St. Anthony's Medical Center (Sappington Rd., Tesson Ferry, Highway 21, Kennerly Road). South of St. Louis and west of highway 55. I think it got leveled in the mid 80's for hospital expansion. I don't think it was sanctioned but if it was, it was probably an NBL track. Sound familiar to anyone?

Also, I think I raced at Plantation a few times. Where exactly in north county was that?

Thanks.

I'll ask around about the one you're referring to, it wasn't around when I started racing. Never even heard about it. I raced Plantation, Supercross and even the one behind the Venture (or was it KMart). Once Tim Judge came threw town, I guess on tour. He and Bob Hunt had some pretty good battles that day. But it was like racing in the woods. I can't even remember which Venture that was. Maybe Maplewood? Kirkwood? Been a long time...Did any of you guys race Archview Stables in the winter? Collinsville was alright but I only raced there for state races.
Duck
QUOTE (Duck @ May 19 2009, 01:33 PM) *
I'll ask around about the one you're referring to, it wasn't around when I started racing. Never even heard about it. I raced Plantation, Supercross and even the one behind the Venture (or was it KMart). Once Tim Judge came threw town, I guess on tour. He and Bob Hunt had some pretty good battles that day. But it was like racing in the woods. I can't even remember which Venture that was. Maybe Maplewood? Kirkwood? Been a long time...Did any of you guys race Archview Stables in the winter? Collinsville was alright but I only raced there for state races.

...and yeah, the Plantation was run by Terry Capstick and then Larry Reistack (sp?) who changed the direction of the track and put a bridge in it. He also reopened Supercross for a couple of years after closing the Plantation.

PUNKAHONTAS
QUOTE (Duck @ May 19 2009, 01:33 PM) *

I am sure it was somewhere near St. Anthony's. I asked my grandfather if he remembers and he thought of it as by the hospital too. Maybe that was just the route he took to get to it. My uncle was the one to first take me there. I'll have to get a hold of him and see what he remembers.

Thanks all!
Duck
QUOTE (PUNKAHONTAS @ May 19 2009, 04:38 PM) *
I am sure it was somewhere near St. Anthony's. I asked my grandfather if he remembers and he thought of it as by the hospital too. Maybe that was just the route he took to get to it. My uncle was the one to first take me there. I'll have to get a hold of him and see what he remembers.

Thanks all!

You're definitely right, I asked Tim Kakouris about it and he said he and his friends used to go out there and ride. He never raced there but when he started racing at Supercross and Plantation all of the other kids were saying how "South County" had closed down. He said this would have been around 1980.

Racer
It may have been this track

- St. Louis, MO (South County YMCA on Hwy. 21 at I-270)
bbohlmann
Duck -
It was definitely a Venture! I totally remember that track and it was like racing in the woods. It was basically one giant "U" shape.

I won my only first place trophy at that track. It was a MO state race and I was in 3rd when the first two tangled and went down. I'd love to say I just beat everyone, but I lucked out. I still have that trophy.

This is a picture from that day.

- Bob
Duck
QUOTE (Racer @ May 20 2009, 12:51 AM) *

That sounds like the area. Just curious, how did you find that info? Did you ever ride there?
Duck
QUOTE (bbohlmann @ May 20 2009, 09:44 AM) *
Duck -
It was definitely a Venture! I totally remember that track and it was like racing in the woods. It was basically one giant "U" shape.

I won my only first place trophy at that track. It was a MO state race and I was in 3rd when the first two tangled and went down. I'd love to say I just beat everyone, but I lucked out. I still have that trophy.

This is a picture from that day.

- Bob

Bob,

It was behind the Maplewood Venture, Tim said it was called Cobra. I was only there once or twice. I was spoiled from having the Plantation as my home track so I only raced there for State races even though Maplewood is only what, 25 minutes from North County?
Fell down or not, it sounds like you beat everyone to me!

When I think about it, St. Louis had a LOT of tracks back then. No wonder we had so many good riders in the early to mid 80s.
PUNKAHONTAS
QUOTE (Racer @ May 20 2009, 12:51 AM) *

This may be it. Although, I don't ever remember going into a Y there for any reason. But I do remember them also holding trick contests sometimes and that sounds more like something a YMCA would do rather than a straight racing track.
shortdog
I miss the Plantation and especially Supercross. We also had Rad West and Pevely Pedal Park, but never raced at Pevely. Cobra had already closed before I started racing, but I did get a chance to ride on it before they tore it down. I miss those days.

Duck, do you remember what year Cobra was shut down??
KenC

I remember the one behind Venture, my dad took me and my neighbor there back in the late 70ís

The track in south county was right next to the YMCA off of Schuessler rd.

Does anyone remember the one Scott Cuggino built behind the Ponderosa in Ellisville, that was a great track for being built by a bunch of kids.
Duck
QUOTE (shortdog @ May 21 2009, 05:50 PM) *
I miss the Plantation and especially Supercross. We also had Rad West and Pevely Pedal Park, but never raced at Pevely. Cobra had already closed before I started racing, but I did get a chance to ride on it before they tore it down. I miss those days.

Duck, do you remember what year Cobra was shut down??

Cobra probably shut down around '84. When did you start racing? Where was Rad West? I never raced Pevely either.
Duck
QUOTE (KenC @ May 21 2009, 10:33 PM) *
I remember the one behind Venture, my dad took me and my neighbor there back in the late 70ís

The track in south county was right next to the YMCA off of Schuessler rd.

Does anyone remember the one Scott Cuggino built behind the Ponderosa in Ellisville, that was a great track for being built by a bunch of kids.

Ken, never heard of that one but Quinny Grant and Brian Gary had a cool little set up behind their houses in North County. Also we had the Dips by Flo Valley. Two huge jumps/drop ins and a couple of turns. I think it's all apartments and condos now.
shortdog
Duck, I started racing in '86. You don't remember Rad West in New Haven, MO? The Finks ran that track around '87, '88. Those trails (Weithaupt) are still behind Quinn's old house too.
mofampops
What was the name of the track in Troy, MO? My best friend broke his wrist and our moms never let us go back again, that was around 82, I think. Well, I showed her, waited until I had my own kids (now they race year round), I'm racing again, and two partners and I bought CycleCraft. Take that mom... LOL!!

DM
Duck
QUOTE (shortdog @ May 22 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Duck, I started racing in '86. You don't remember Rad West in New Haven, MO? The Finks ran that track around '87, '88. Those trails (Weithaupt) are still behind Quinn's old house too.

I didn't know that was called Rad West (we always called it "New Haven") I also didn't know the Finks ran it. Have you seen or spoken to Derek or Zoe?
billn
KenC,

I have been trying to remember Scott Cuggino's name for a LONG time - thanks! I helped with that track in Ellisville. Dean Huber was another guy that we ran with and helped build it. The big berm had a pipe running through it so the bottom could be drained. I was a photo bug and had access to the darkroom at Parkway West during that time. Took a LOT of pics at the Ponderosa. Been digging through stuff at my parent's house trying to find 'em. If I do I'll post 'em up.
snickadams
Sweet Meat, cool!
billn
QUOTE (snickadams @ May 22 2009, 03:13 PM) *
Sweet Meat, cool!

He's my avatar on all of the message boards I hang out on. Kind of a secret handshake for folks from the STL.
billn
Bob's Chesterfield Cyclery jersey is 2nd gen. Anyone remember these?

All the affiliated shops had different colors. Chesterfield was red/yellow, West County was black/grey, and I think Creve Coeur was red/blue.
shortdog
QUOTE (Duck @ May 22 2009, 12:54 PM) *
I didn't know that was called Rad West (we always called it "New Haven") I also didn't know the Finks ran it. Have you seen or spoken to Derek or Zoe?

I haven't spoken with neither since their dad passed awhile back.
KenC
QUOTE (billn @ May 22 2009, 01:31 PM) *
KenC,

I have been trying to remember Scott Cuggino's name for a LONG time - thanks! I helped with that track in Ellisville. Dean Huber was another guy that we ran with and helped build it. The big berm had a pipe running through it so the bottom could be drained. I was a photo bug and had access to the darkroom at Parkway West during that time. Took a LOT of pics at the Ponderosa. Been digging through stuff at my parent's house trying to find 'em. If I do I'll post 'em up.

I love that track behind Ponderosa, it was just across the street so we were up there all the time. Myself Louis Pete, Mark Dames, Mark Murphy and several others from that neighborhood. Bo Bueckman Ford owns the lot now and stores new cars there.

I have Cuggino's GT in my garage; it actually belongs to my brother in law. I was going to strip the chrome and paint it for him. Whomever Scott sold it to left it lying outside and the chrome is shot.

Sorry I didnít return the PM, I accidently deleted it before I had a chance to read it. wacko.gif
anzalone
Awesome thread...great memories. the first one in St. Louis was Surefoot in Arnold, which was run by Dick Love of Peddlin Cyclery and his smokin hot wife. they really put DG on the map in the area. Since Surefoot was mostly a motorcycle track, we moved to Southcounty YMCA on Tesson ferry. after the YMCA got involved, Banquet Frozen Foods started sponsoring racing and the Gateway racing Association was formed. Leo Piant, John's dad, got Don Humphries on board on Bonzai was born. Around the same time Bob Logston was getting tired of the drive from Collinsville so he started the Collinsville, one of the fastest downhills in the country, and the location where Paul Gossrau drag raced, AND BEAT Stompin Stu Thompson on the 60 yard last straight away. That same year a race was held at the half time of a Cardinals game at Busch stadium. A few years later my father, along with contributions from Gene roden of the ABA opened the Platation, along with the help of Gerry Theoley (the wolfman who ran the first x-mas tree starting gate in the midwest) the Arnet family, the Guinn family, the Wamhoff family and of course Terry Capstix, who later went on the open Supercross. Those were great days and bring back alot of memories of great names like Bob Hunt, Owen Dowdy, Tim Deichman, Matt Workman, John Piant, Chris and Randy Sullinger, Denis Coutcher, Rob Overall, Jimmy Wallace...man those were great times
bbohlmann
Ah, the track behind Ponderosa....that brings back some memories.

My brother and I would have my Mom drop us off there while she was doing Saturday errands on Manchester Rd. and pick us up a couple of hours later. That was a cool mix of the giant wooden first tabletop and then dirt the rest of the way. The fact that it had a starting gate made it so much different than any other riding spots.

I hope Bill can find his pictures!

- Bob
Tom Hand
OK you St. Louis guys, anyone know these St. Louis kids that came to our track in 1976? Their shirts say Bikes Etc.
Tom Hand
(KC, Mo area)
anzalone
QUOTE (Tom Hand @ Jul 4 2009, 02:30 PM) *
OK you St. Louis guys, anyone know these St. Louis kids that came to our track in 1976? Their shirts say Bikes Etc.
Tom Hand
(KC, Mo area)

cool...in the top left picture you have Dick and Barb Love..the owners of Bikes Etc, and the people who launched BMX in Stl.
It looks like the pictures we taken at Surefoot, which was actually a motocross track. Also in the picture was Gus and Chris Sousia (original local hot shoe for the young guys) as well as Randy Sullinger. They were the local DG team. I might recognize the others with a better picture. The guy in the bottom 2 pictures looks like it may have been Tim Deichman, who raced the BMX and the Motocross at Surefoot. He was also very fast, but only came out on big races.
Tom Hand
Wonderful! I'll rescan that picture and put it in higher res for you if I can.
Oops, sorry, no space left. I can email you a larger image if you'd like.

Thank you!
Tom

QUOTE (anzalone @ Jul 5 2009, 12:45 AM) *
cool...in the top left picture you have Dick and Barb Love..the owners of Bikes Etc, and the people who launched BMX in Stl.
It looks like the pictures we taken at Surefoot, which was actually a motocross track. Also in the picture was Gus and Chris Sousia (original local hot shoe for the young guys) as well as Randy Sullinger. They were the local DG team. I might recognize the others with a better picture. The guy in the bottom 2 pictures looks like it may have been Tim Deichman, who raced the BMX and the Motocross at Surefoot. He was also very fast, but only came out on big races.
shortdog
I miss the good ole days.

Unfortunately, the only two tracks in the StL area now: St. Peters BMX (St. Peters, MO) and Brighton BMX (Brighton, IL about 10 min north of Alton).
hairballmike
QUOTE (KenC @ May 22 2009, 08:40 PM) *
I love that track behind Ponderosa, it was just across the street so we were up there all the time. Myself Louis Pete, Mark Dames, Mark Murphy and several others from that neighborhood. Bo Bueckman Ford owns the lot now and stores new cars there.

I have Cuggino's GT in my garage; it actually belongs to my brother in law. I was going to strip the chrome and paint it for him. Whomever Scott sold it to left it lying outside and the chrome is shot.

Sorry I didnít return the PM, I accidently deleted it before I had a chance to read it. wacko.gif

Wow, sorry I missed this. I used to ride at Ponderosa all the time. I built a small riding spot a couple of miles from there around the same time, and put a four-man starting gate on it because Cuggino's had one lol. It was at the end of my unfinished subdivision and I could jump and practice starts all day. I didn't know how good I had it.
bbohlmann
Hey guys, I thought I would revive this thread. I was helping my Dad clean out his basement and found a bunch of old BMX pics from the old St. Louis days.

This first set is from the 1981 NBL Grand National at Supercross. Sorry for the quality.

Tim Judge over the last jump

Tommy Brackens and Harry Leary over the last jump

Mike Poulson

Local boy John Piant

Team Torker

Stu

Stu and Mark Driscoll?

I'll keep posting groups of pictures.

- Bob
bbohlmann
Remember the winter indoor track in Illinois in the giant horse barn? Man, it was cold and stinky.

These are from December of 1981.

I should have raced there more often, I'm actually out in front!

At this particular race, some national heavies turned out - John Piant

This was the first time I saw folks with the WHITE JT pants with the gaitors and switching from the full face helmets to the open face.

Look how far out in front Piant is!

Paul Gossrau was also in the house (barn) sporting the new white uniform look.

I'm not sure why Tim Judge was there. He did move to St. Louis for a short time but that was years later.

If you look closely on Tim's bike, he is sporting graphite Tuffs. Not sure I've ever seen a picture with any of the Hutch team sporting graphites. Maybe they were his "practice" wheels. Looks like Bob Hunt coasting by as well.

bbohlmann
These are from that same late 81 early 82 time period.

These were shot from our local trails we built in the woods down the street. My brother is on the Redline and I'm on the Race Inc.

This shot is rad! Love the 1 piece cranks and Tuff 1s.
bbohlmann
OK, this one I had forgot about and I find very funny now. These shots were in that same winter of 82 timeframe when it was too cold to hit our trails. So, we cleared out a path in the basement and rode there. You had to beware of the beams above you, the poles aroud you and in the one shot, our underwear hanging to dry!

My brother in a powerslide around the furnace - looks like the back wheel hooked up on him.

My powerslide around the furnace.

Whatch your head! And don't run into the underwear..........

Curb endo on the stairs

bbohlmann
The BMX Action trick team came to Mike's Bikes in St. Louis in the summer of 1981.

bbohlmann
These shots were from Plantation in June of 1982.

Down the long first straight away

I had to upgrade to the white JT pants and gaitors!

#2 is Ricky Barker - every shot I have from Plantation (except for one) he is in front of me!

The downtube on my Race Inc. broke in half riding it down a long flight of stairs at the local football field, so I'm sporting my new Hutch Pro Racer.

I showed these to my brother over the weekend and he says he now regrets the Oakley suspender look. sarcastic_hand.gif

bbohlmann
Plantation summer of 1983.

The starting hill at Plantation. My brother is up on the gate (Redline gear) and I'm walking by the first jump to cheer him on. Terry Capstick, the track operator is the big dude there next to me.

The first jump ("the wall") at Plantation - my bro trying to keep the wheels down

I've finally gotten the Hutch all chromed out. Ah, don't sit down until you crossed the finish line!! wacko.gif

bbohlmann
From the ESPN Pro Series National at Plantation in 1983 (?).

The Avalanche (check out KSHE 95's sweet meat blow up in the background!)

Stu leading Mike Miranda (check out the CW Z frame!)

Harry Leary leading John Piant (who won the pro main that day) and Anthony Sewell

Toby cranking his cruiser

This one I found very interesting - I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Perry Kramer in a Race Inc. uniform.

Tim Judge hitting the doubles during practice - looks like he is about to take out the kid on the pit bike!

bbohlmann
The Haro Freestyle team came to Wheel West in the summer of 83. That parking lot was not big enough, so they moved it down the street to a local church. I now live about two miles from this same church. Ron Wilton was with him for this show.

Yep, that's Tim Judge holding the kick turn ramp. I believe this is the time period Tim lived in St. Louis.

This is a cool shot.
bbohlmann
NBL national at the Antire track. Looks like Miranda is still on CW and Toby is still on Hutch - does that make this 83 or 84?

Maybe 83 - looks like Miranda is on the same CW Phase 1 that he was on during the 83 ESPN national at Plantation.

Judge on his XL24

Toby leading the pack on his XL24

I think that's all I have for now, I'll keep looking for more pictures.
snickadams
Brings back some great memories! Thanks for posting the pics.
Duck
QUOTE (bbohlmann @ Nov 9 2009, 11:24 AM) *
Remember the winter indoor track in Illinois in the giant horse barn? Man, it was cold and stinky.

These are from December of 1981.

I should have raced there more often, I'm actually out in front!

At this particular race, some national heavies turned out - John Piant

This was the first time I saw folks with the WHITE JT pants with the gaitors and switching from the full face helmets to the open face.

Look how far out in front Piant is!

Paul Gossrau was also in the house (barn) sporting the new white uniform look.

I'm not sure why Tim Judge was there. He did move to St. Louis for a short time but that was years later.

If you look closely on Tim's bike, he is sporting graphite Tuffs. Not sure I've ever seen a picture with any of the Hutch team sporting graphites. Maybe they were his "practice" wheels. Looks like Bob Hunt coasting by as well.

Bob,

That's Archview Stables. I raced there a couple of winters. You're right, it had the worst smell and my fingers would get so cold in between motos. I don't think that's Gossrau though, doesn't look stocky enough. I'm sending the picture to Kakouris now. He used to ride on Jag's support team, it may be him. Great pictures. I remember when Judge was here for a while. Once he did a show out at Wheels West. Just doing stuff off of wooden ramps. I think Bob Hunt may have rode that day also.

Duck
QUOTE (bbohlmann @ Nov 9 2009, 12:56 PM) *
NBL national at the Antire track. Looks like Miranda is still on CW and Toby is still on Hutch - does that make this 83 or 84?

Bob,

The weekend of the ESPN race their was a national at Antire and another in Sikeston. I'm guessing these are from that Antire race.
bbohlmann
Duck -
That Jag rider does look more like TK. You're right, Paul Gossrau was built like a fullback!

I wish we would have had a better camera back in the day.......

- Bob
KenC
QUOTE (bbohlmann @ Nov 9 2009, 12:49 PM) *
The Haro Freestyle team came to Wheel West in the summer of 83. That parking lot was not big enough, so they moved it down the street to a local church. I know live about two miles from this same church. Ron Wilton was with him for this show.

I pretty much lived at Wheels West, it was only a mile from me so we rode up there all the time. Tom was one of the only guys around that would take trade in's and sell used parts through the shop which made it easy to buy cool parts when you didn't have much money.

I would love to find a few of the foil Wheels West shop stickers with the Clarkson address that he stuck on the new bikes and frames. I ran into Tom at Bicycles of Kirkwood and he gave me a few of them that had his Manchester address but not exactly correct for my Goose that I bought from him back in the late summer of 80

If anyone has any photos taken at Wheels West, post them please.
burdettebmx
If I remember the horse barn indoor track was in Belleville, IL. The scent was very aromatic. We used to drive 2 1/2 hours from Evansville to race there.
tim kakouris
great times at the barn! if it wasn't for that place, we would have all been pretty slow come springtime.

i used to really like the indoor tracks in evansville and memphis. we would make quite the road trips back in those days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.