Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gravity Powered Vehicles
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Freestyle BMX
JiveHandle
I remember seeing some killer home made GPVs in the mags in the late 80s. It brought the racers and the freestylers together for lots of fun (and injuries!).

I had my own GPV in '87, mounted my old Murray cruiser frame upside down, drilled through the BB to mount a chest support, slapped on a pair of MTB bars slung low, rear pegs and I was ready to fly down hills (no fancy farings, all blood & guts).

Anybody still have their GPV or pics of them?
The R
How did the steering work with the frame upside down? I remember an article in BMX Plus! that contained a how-to about how to build an GPV, and I remember it said to turn the frame upside down. I remember reading that and thinking you'd have some pretty messed up steering -- that the fork would be sloped inward.
race_inc
The one I built and all the ones I have seen were right side up. Not too sure about the upside down set up.
JiveHandle
Upside down setup actually provided slower steering and, subsequently, better control.
Spicoli
Maybe Woody chime in....I seem to remember him on he cover of BMXA rockin a flipped pink Trick Star GPV....

Man that looked like fun, not a lot of long paved downhill roads here in WNY though....
Jay Huber
Spicoli
actually his bikes not flipped, but I seem to remember that being the popular mod for GPV..
The Bicycle Source
Here's a pic of mine from the 1988 BMXA Calender, I have a other pics from mags but need to scan them. I wish I still had this bike, it was a Redline f/f that RL gave me... Good times for sure..

JiveHandle
QUOTE (The Bicycle Source @ Feb 22 2009, 11:57 AM) *
Here's a pic of mine from the 1988 BMXA Calender, I have a other pics from mags but need to scan them. I wish I still had this bike, it was a Redline f/f that RL gave me... Good times for sure..

That pic just reminded me why frames were flipped: to attach bench weights to the seatpost.
Jet Black
An article from my Action Now magazine collection , caution genuine old skool content follows :>

Bonus Anti Gravity Mongoose

enjoy

JB

STRIKE
QUOTE (Jet Black @ May 20 2009, 05:19 AM) *

Ya know what's freaky? The kid with the "1" on his numberplate (Jared Hanebrink 3) was featured in a color Parting Shot of an older BMX Plus. There's no way I could dig through all my magazines to find that one picture, but trust me he is.

Oh and isn't Watson riding a Red Line in that picture? The memory is fuzzzzy biggrin.gif
Jet Black
It was the Redline frame pads that helped Watson & his Anti Gravity "goose" bend the laws of Physics.

All goose frame with the sweet bead welding on the gusset , all the time.
Components on his "gravity bike" varied as they broke or wore out.

Although the BMX stuff in Action Now mag is the roots of BMX freestyling & numerous other non racing offshoots , it is waaay too old to be posted here , somewhat paradoxical.

Kick me back to Vintage Racing to post this stuff there.... hang on that dosen't sound right either.

Where's the Vintage Freestyle section ???

I know it exists , I was so hardcore bitd I was always getting some extra "Freestyle" in on racedays , back when when 20 inch , 26inch & sidehacks ruled the racetracks.

Not me but I'd always find or make the opportuntiy to keep myself amused between moto's

JB

Lonewolf
QUOTE (JiveHandle @ Feb 16 2009, 09:37 PM) *
I remember seeing some killer home made GPVs in the mags in the late 80s. It brought the racers and the freestylers together for lots of fun (and injuries!).

I had my own GPV in '87, mounted my old Murray cruiser frame upside down, drilled through the BB to mount a chest support, slapped on a pair of MTB bars slung low, rear pegs and I was ready to fly down hills (no fancy farings, all blood & guts).

Anybody still have their GPV or pics of them?

GPVs were the swan song of the golden era of bmx. I'm not saying they killed BMX but don't put scooters and gpvs on my BMX magazine cover.

Didn't want to Hijack. I haven't read this thread.
sonikk71
I always hated those darn things (GPVs). In my young super passionate days I felt it was "diluting" BMX. I was less opinionated about the scooters, at least riders were riding halfpipes and doing tricks on them. But in my mind the GPVs did not belong in a BMX magazine for anything more than just a one time "hey look at what some of the pros are getting into" kind of article.
freestyl
From what I remember all this GPV stuff started late one night with MaGoo and Ceppie telling me and Martin they went flying down turnball canyon road late one night on there bikes and it was a blast. We did it on regular bikes at first with a car following behind us late at night so we could see the road and nobody would run us over. It was fun, but there are no lights on that road and it was scary fast in the dark. Eventually we went back in the daytime with our bikes set up like you see them on the cover of that magazine. Took just a few minutes to do it. Upside down bars, I used 2 front wheels (both with SST 1st gen hubs-sorry guys), took off the cranks, dropped the seat and away you go. Oh yeah and a full face helmet and pads! We would get close to 45 MPH maybe a little faster, but that road was full of turns. Dragging your knees was easy, but it was also scary. The thing's I remember most was how fast your heart would beat going into those turns at high speed, leaning over hoping the tires would hold, and how loud the tires would hum with your face close to the street at those speeds. I'm really glad we never got run over or seriously hurt.

I remember one time me and Martin got so far in front of everyone in a race, we got off our bikes and hung one of them on the edge of a steep drop on the side of the road. Everyone stopped and freaked out when they saw the bike there on the edge, they thought the two of us went off the drop. Me and Martin were hiding around the corner laughing pretty hard. Kind of lame now that I think of it, but it was funny back then.

I never did the tramway races. I figured 45 to 50 was fast enough for me. I heard guys built fairing bikes with suspension, steering stabilizers, etc and were going close to 70 mph. At that point it seemed more like work than fun and the risk of getting hurt was escalating too fast for my liking. I remember one race we had on turnball canyon and Dave Cullinan told me he wanted to follow me down the hill his first time through. I told him to stay behind me, watch his speed, and watch the line. Needless to say, on a huge sweeping left hand turn he tried to go inside of me and pass which just wasn't possible. I was going fast and he rocketed passed me, got speed wobbles, and went right into the guard rail at speed. I got on the brakes hard and remember him cutting his leg pretty bad, lot's of blood, I think they took him to the hospital right after that. Not too long after that I gave up on the GPV stuff, but it was fun while I did it. The best runs for sure were late at night, me, Martin, and Ceppie with MaGoo following behind with his brights on.

On that same note, I saw Dave C 2 days ago at a Hardware store. I think that was first time I've seen him in the last 10 years. He still looks the same... Good times for sure, Woody.
Faust Wurstkotzenhauser
We built one and ran it down some of the hills in NorthWest Austin around 1990 or so. Not very big hills, but steep enough to scare you pretty good. I used an old GT Performer and just took the cranks out.. it had a laidback seatpost and the bars mounted by the crossbar... just kick and go, put feet on back pegs and pray for your life! It was a lot of fun!
thewhitebear43
A few facts about GPV's...
Oz went out with his Porsche to shoot pics of the early GPV's, and he couldn't keep up with them in his Porsche. He told me this himself, he couldn't believe how fast they werein turns.
The upside down frame idea was to lower the center of gravity for better cornering. A few also ran pit bike wheels for the same reason.
I was at the Palm Springs Tramway GPV race. Dan Hanebrink had the fastest GPV because of his farings. The little faring behinfd the seat is the really important one. But Tommy Brackens had the biggest balls and a Hanebrink fairing on the front. Tommy passed the camera motorcycle near the bottom, in a turn, and the motorcycle was doing 85 mph. That was in '87 I think. There's a Vision video called Mondo Vision on You Tube that has the footage of that race. I think it's in part 1 of the video. I also shot a photo of Dave Vanderspek at that race that made it into BMX Action, FREESTYLIN', and Homeboy. Best pic I ever took.
The upside down frame idea went away as the races got more serious and the speeds got higher. At a race Scot Breithaupt put on for his ESPN TV series in '89, the GPV's were hitting about 90mph. The skate luges at that race were hitting nearly 110mph. They would catch up to the camera bike in the long sweeping turn at the bottom, and the camera motorcycle was doing 90 plus with it's tailpipe scraping in the turn. It would hit 140mph as it came out of the turn to get out of the way of the GPV's and luges. Dan Hanebrink got squirrely and went into the trees on that one and broke an arm or something.
I think it was Eddie Fiola that once tried to race a GPV with water in the tubes for weight. Bad idea.
Somebody came out with a 20" pedal bike with full fairings, called an HPV, for Human Powered Vehicle. I got to try it out when I worked at the AFA. I took it down to the beach bike trail and was blowing past lightwight race bikes like nothing. That thing was a blast. I looked like a GPV, but you could pedal it to nearly 40mph.
Somebody tried to start a sport with those type of bikes called F-1 racing. I think they gave up after a couple races. I worked at one of them held at the Irvine Meadows amphitheater parking lot.
snarlin
Big news coming regarding Gravity Bikes - Stay Tuned - Snarlin
Glen
I always wondered how the bikers were able to ride down the hills without a fear of traffic and cars.

I would have loved to try it BITD nothing better than the sound of a spinning freewheel.
GregBowdish
I worked at Free Flite bicycles in Marietta, GA in the early to mid 80's. After seeing an article on GPV's in BMX magazine, we built our own and raced them down Black Jack Mountain in the dark. Believe it or not, I still have mine, unchanged, since then. One thing that is very special about the bike is that the frame was one of John Kovachi's Torkers he used for racing. I worked alongside John and his death this past month really got me thinking about some great times. I was more into road racing than BMX and put dropped bars on my GPV. You will also notice cool touches like Sunshine Pro/AM road hubs, Ambrosio heat treated rims, and a complete light system powered by a Dynamo generator. I live in Florida now, so not much chance of taking it out for a spin but I would love to get it to Portland for the Zoobomb.

I tried linking four images of the bike here, but they are not showing up. This is my first post here. Anybody know what I am doing wrong?
coffin2death
kool pics greg
omartcruisers
A few of us did the GPV thing in Tacoma after seeing pics in BMXA. We had some great hills to ride down. Mine was an old Torker with a cracked gussett and I used foam and duct tape to make a seat. We also had a "big board" that was srt of a cross between a skateboard and a tobogan that 3 or 4 of us would pile on and go down 30th street on. We had like 12 trucks mounted on that thing and some handles along the side. Stupid but fun since there was a stoplight at McCarver and 30th, about where the hill flattened out. Not a whole lot of room to stop on the big board. We'd wear those imitation Van's from Payless and put our feet down to stop. You could feel the heat from the friction and smell the plastic/rubber burning. It did suck having to walk back up the hill.
RunWhatYouBrungJC
I still got my old "NEW" G-Bike wrapped in plastic hanging in the garage.
I say NEW because after the ESPN Cole Grade Road, GPVA race I built
a Brand new G-Bike. A bike manufacturer made me a frame with a 20"
front & 24" rear, New fairing, plus other goodies. Tioga sent me another
set of Comp Pool Tires marked "MAX 100psi" but are rated over 100psi.
Never got a chance to race it though. GPVA quit holding races. Lost contact
with other GPV'ers and thought the sport all but died out. Wish I would've
known it never did. Maybe I could of made a run with her. I still take it out
every now and then. These days I would consider her vintage old school
4sure.

Oh, I found my VHS copy from 1988 of the...
"Vision Street Wear, Action Cycle Sports Series - SE Racing Cole Grade Road, GPVA Nationals" Race.
I will be posting it soon. Just got permission from Scot B. to post it on YouTube and a few BMX sites.

Keep an eye out.

Here's the G-bike I never got to race...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.