Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Huffy
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Mid School BMX
diamondbackguy81
Is there anybody who knos anything about huffy?
MiniZ
What info are you looking for?

In general, Huffy's are low end department store bikes. However, there have been times in their history where they made an effort to put out a serious BMX bike, like the Primus.
omartcruisers
QUOTE (MiniZ @ Feb 5 2009, 02:30 PM) *
What info are you looking for?

In general, Huffy's are low end department store bikes. However, there have been times in their history where they made an effort to put out a serious BMX bike, like the Primus.

The Primus was an awesome frame.
diamondbackguy81
I was wondreing about the Huffy flatbed and the one ton. I know these were the better shop bikes.
freshmale
Hope you dont mind me asking this in youre thread Diamonback guy.
But does anyone in this forum. Know of anyone who worked for the bmx division back in the late 90s? any help would be appreciated.
Josh
mikeauman
I have huffy primus 24''frame hanging in the garage.

still in good shape.
BKFBM
I think the BMX division in the late 90's was run under System Cycles.
parabulla
QUOTE (BKFBM @ Feb 9 2009, 04:24 PM) *

If I'm not mistaken McGoo had some involvement with huffy back in the Nastazio, Alcantara, and Stumphauser days.
freshmale

Cheers. thanks for that. Do you know anyone who worked for them or had links to it?
Josh

QUOTE (parabulla @ Feb 9 2009, 04:59 PM) *
If I'm not mistaken McGoo had some involvement with huffy back in the Nastazio, Alcantara, and Stumphauser days.

Cheers. Is he on this site?
Josh
dayride
There is a guy that posts on here tha works for Huffy now. I don't know how long he has been there. For some reason I can not remember his ID. I have even exchanged e-mails with him.

Just remembered Tifo is his screen name.
steve smith
Jeremy mudd is his real name[he still works for huffy ]but has quit racing and havent heard hide nor hair in months .Im pretty sure hes worked at huffy for at least 20 years .
System WASNT in charge as far as i know in the late 90s .The dk family had several riders as did dayton area in the early 80's on huffy corp [pre dk]Also system cycle was /is dk distrubting.

Jradical on here is a son inlaw of the dk founder charlie daneshik,he gets in here on the ohio thread from time to time .

The first prototypes in the late 90s era were made in a guys basement near brookville ohio [mike melton] this was the levan,lyons ,nastazio era .the production pieces were crafted overseas.i knew mike melton before he got divorced and moved to fla .
BKFBM
yeah, I am not 100% on the System thing either. I know that they did distribute the higher end Huffy stuff of that era though.
freshmale
[quote name='steve smith' date='Feb 10 2009, 05:34 PM' post='717562']
Jeremy mudd is his real name[he still works for huffy ]but has quit racing and havent heard hide nor hair in months .Im pretty sure hes worked at huffy for at least 20 years .
System WASNT in charge as far as i know in the late 90s .The dk family had several riders as did dayton area in the early 80's on huffy corp [pre dk]Also system cycle was /is dk distrubting.

Jradical on here is a son inlaw of the dk founder charlie daneshik,he gets in here on the ohio thread from time to time .

The first prototypes in the late 90s era were made in a guys basement near brookville ohio [mike melton] this was the levan,lyons ,nastazio era .the production pieces were crafted overseas.i knew mike melton before he got divorced and moved to fla .
[/quot

Thanks Steve. I would post a pic of it. But if i did, there would be people out there, that would try and undercut me. So they could get it. And i have been trying to get in contact with someone who might know about it. For like 3 years now. Just hope it wasnt sold off to some random who thrashed the hell out of it.
Not sure if it was made in the USA or overseas. I sent Todd lyons a email some time ago with the pic attached. He didnt know of its existance.
Apreciate youre help.
Sent Jeremy a msg
Josh
freshmale
QUOTE (dayride @ Feb 10 2009, 02:19 PM) *
There is a guy that posts on here tha works for Huffy now. I don't know how long he has been there. For some reason I can not remember his ID. I have even exchanged e-mails with him.

Just remembered Tifo is his screen name.

Thanks heaps Dayride. I sent him a msg. Appreciate the help.
Josh
diamondbackguy81
The first prototypes in the late 90s era were made in a guys basement near brookville ohio [mike melton] this was the levan,lyons ,nastazio era

When in the 90s was this?
parabulla
QUOTE (freshmale @ Feb 10 2009, 11:41 AM) *
Cheers. thanks for that. Do you know anyone who worked for them or had links to it?
Josh

Cheers. Is he on this site?
Josh

Not that I know of, he's running some things over at SNAFU last I heard.
Tifo
QUOTE (steve smith @ Feb 10 2009, 05:34 PM) *

Hey there Steve,

I'm not certain "quit" is the right wording..... laugh.gif ......I've definetly taken a break from BMX racing, that's for certain. I may or may not do a race or two this season during the outdoor season, we'll see. I got back to riding my road and mtb bikes last year after I took a break from BMX and started doing some road racing near the end of the season last year. I signed on with a road team this year (Colavita Sutter Home) and will be doing quite a bit of road and mtb racing..............but we'll see, I may race BMX again once or twice. You never know.

Jeremy
Tifo

Nope. We had an association with System in regards to some promotions, but the product and the program was all Huffy. We sponsored a team from `98 thru early 2004.
scmcgovern
If anyone see some kid on an 98 Huffy Primus around Dayton, OH.. It might be mine.. Got one stolen outside of the old sign-up building inside Dayton Indoor when I was picking up my award.. I drove around for hours with a crew looking for the @ssholes that took it... Really liked that bike, but then I got my parent insurence to covered it.. and got a Complete DK Legend, with 3 piece profile cranks.. and loved that bike too.. Still want my huffy frame back..
venturaoutfit
QUOTE (mikeauman @ Feb 5 2009, 08:31 PM) *
I have huffy primus 24''frame hanging in the garage.

still in good shape.

you wanna sell the primus 24"
UsBoss4life
Was the huffy frames that mike king and stu race huffy made? i really like those huffy's like to get my hands on one
Jradical
QUOTE (UsBoss4life @ Jul 13 2009, 07:28 PM) *
Was the huffy frames that mike king and stu race huffy made? i really like those huffy's like to get my hands on one

Yes, I believe they had custom made Huffy frames built by Mike Melton. I can't remember if they were the Pro Lightning model or not?
Jradical
Being from Dayton and into BMX I remember Huffy BMX; Anthony Sewell was the first rider I ever saw in a Huffy Jersey I think he race only a few races for them in summer of 81. Later the full on race team of the mid 80's managed by Phillis McKulla (sp?) came along: Team riders were: John Piant, Matt Harris, Chris Driscol, Troy Ratz, Rodney Cooper, Dan Beem, Greg Beem, Bruce Brockert, Bill Danishek, Nikki Danishek, Ron House, Mike King, Stu Thompson, I'm sure I'm missing a few more?? Most of these guys rode custom made Pro Lightning frames built by Huffys in house frame builder Mike Melton. Melton was famous for building the 1984 Olympic track bikes also branded as Huffy. A few years into it Huffy also had something to do with Raleigh and they also had a BMX racing team.
Not sure exactly when they got out of BMX but they decided to give it a second shot in mid 90's; Huffy first picked up Jimmy LeVan he and Melton developed a freestyle frame I think it was called the MJ-12. Huffy hired Mongoose product mgr. Rich Vitello to run the BMX program, he got rid of Jimmy (I think Jimmy was making really good $) and brought on Todd Lyons, Nasty, Stumpy, Chris Sanchez & maybe a few more? The TL-88, Primus, Catalist models came from this team. Sweet Lou Capareli helped managed the team & Magoo did a ton of the product design & marketing. Huffy also sponsored the televised NBL national "Road to Glory" series. I think Huffy was never happy with the sales #'s of the BMX bikes; the Huffy name is what independent bike shops sell against and joke about how cheap their bikes are. Convincing shops that these bikes were of good if not better quality was tough. The quality was just as good as most bikes on the market.
I would love to own an all stock Gold Huffy Pro Lightning.
J.
MadCowboy
QUOTE (Jradical @ Jul 13 2009, 09:19 PM) *
Yes, I believe they had custom made Huffy frames built by Mike Melton. I can't remember if they were the Pro Lightning model or not?

Dont know about Mike Kings bike, but stu's didnt have the teardrop shape of the pro lightning. His also had a more extreme seat tube angle than the pro lightnings had. I had a pro lightning as a thrash bike for a little while and I liked that thing. I hated those bikes with those radical seat tube angles...Stu's huffy, pistol petes cw and the diamond back senior pro were the worst ones ever
mr coasterbrake
i knew a factory rider from that period and his bike was made by GT and was basically a patterson PR with personalized geometry (really long).
classicfan1
Do you know much about the Huffy Racing Racing 35?
mr coasterbrake
that one was just a low-end department store "kids bike" not really a "real" BMX bike (but really, nothing from Huffy was "real" except the Pro Lightning...and even that is a bit of a stretch).
classicfan1
QUOTE (mr coasterbrake @ Jul 19 2009, 11:26 PM) *
that one was just a low-end department store "kids bike" not really a "real" BMX bike (but really, nothing from Huffy was "real" except the Pro Lightning...and even that is a bit of a stretch).

Are you sure? This one has black Skyway Tuff Wheel IIs.

Here it is, I have fixed the handlebars:
MadCowboy
Im pretty certain those tuffs were put on that bike after it was purchased. The tuffs costed twice as much as that whole bike. Its like a Pinto coming out with Cragars from the factory. It just aint right.
mr coasterbrake
true. those wheels did not come with that bike, originally. for certain.
classicfan1
Well, I still think it's cool. So I'll leave them on. Now if only I could find the correct seat and pedals.
Racer
I made a Huffy fan site
http://huffybmx.wordpress.com/
JiveHandle
This is a really interesting conversation considering it is about Huffy, usually considered Wal Mart bikes. My first BMX bike was a Huffy Thunder, black/gold (from the Broken Arrow, OK Wal Mart) and I raced it at the Bixby, OK track in 1980 at 9 years old. I had a blast racing until it was stolen and my racing career was over (parents were sooo pissed about that). Next bike was a Murray 24" cruiser...pretty big for a 10 year old, but I was tall back then.

Anyway, I kinda remember Huffy taking stabs at legitimate BMX, but it's all too fuzzy for me. I do remember the Murray/Jolly Rancher era and had some respect for Murray at that time, but it was short lived. I'm not knocking Huffy or Murray for trying.
Racer
Yeah BITD I wouldnt have bought a Huffy or Murray. But now with hindsight I hate all the elitists that show no respect for a bike that launched so many racers like you JiveHandle.
BTW one of my closest shipmates was from Broken Arrow, OK. I used to tease him all the time, for some reason I found that cities name amusing lol.
bryang
I had a MJ12 back in 99 or so-the yellow one, 2nd generation. It was a pretty decent entry level street bike, just a little on the heavy side. Couldn't complain for under $200 (got it at dealer cost, worked at a shop). I also picked up a used Stu model a few years back, but it was all mild steel and a piece of crap. I sold the bike, but kept the frame pad (big Stu Thomsen logo) for good luck.
FMFBMX
Back around 1996 I had a Todd Lyons Huffy. That thing was a beast. It was well equipped for trail riding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.