Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [pics] 2009 Haro Retro Freestyler!
VintageBMX.com > Special Interests > Retro New School
SAF
Here it is people; the 2009 Haro Retro Freestyler, and it's extremely cool. We haven't tested it yet, but so far it looks like it will handle the ramps at the park just fine while looking cooler than any bike at the park. It's built very well, the welds are beautiful, and most of all it rides like a modern bike (which is what we want, right?). It's not heavy either, and the Skyway wheels arrived totally true without any warping. This Haro looks killer and totally retro, and the frame is beautiful. Ryan "Z-Man" Zielinski will put this machine to the test very soon, but for now I thought you would like some photos.

wds
Man, while I can't say I'm a fan of the bike, your pics make it look 100% better than Haro's catalog shots.
THAT Haro looks nice!
-Bill
ozom
want
King of Pipeline
Of course it looks cool.. It looks like the original, sort of.. But, I don't think you'll see any new school guys buying or riding... They only sell these complete right? Are these still way over priced and are they limited?????
RIDE A BIKE
Wow it dose look good ohmy.gif good2.gif But I would rework it with Redline flight cranks and front brakes diablo.gif and then that would be the BOMB sun_bespectacled.gif
Nighthawk
What's it's actual weight on a scale?
EMilner
very nice!
Larryboy
Looks great. I don't recall the prototype having that plate between the seat stays, where the old brake bridge was. Thought it was a tube like the original.
bmx joe
I thought they came with Integrated headset?
TOMMY2WHEEL
good2.gif as I would have said back in the day, "LOOKS TOTALY KICK AZZ!" good2.gif
pwh4130
I would ride it in a minute. Ride it until it broke and not even care. Just like in the 80's.
bbohlmann
What is the top tube length?

- Bob
84pk
looks awesome. I would love to have one for either me or the boys.... maybe oneday.
bluedyno
Sweet. I want one.

I'd customize mine though. Always was partial to blue.

superjeer
Is that an "Intel Inside" sticker on the fork?
superjeer
wow, bluedyno, you spent way too much time on that ps. I do like the blue better though!
mannequinforce
Thats a great chop for sure. Looks good in blue!
wadeaminute
Now that is a nice set of decals...
STRIKE
What I want to know is what lens were you using? Those photos are so sharp!
SAF
QUOTE (STRIKE @ Jan 28 2009, 10:57 PM) *
What I want to know is what lens were you using? Those photos are so sharp!

I used a Nikon D300 and Nikon 70-200 AF-S 2.8 VR. Here's one more - they were just quick snapshots, actually.

mtbmonkey
I wonder why Haro didn't put front breaks on for the Retro crowd? It would have made this bike that much sweeter.
superjeer
They should have put the brakes on the entire project once they decided not to use 100% 4130.
GR8BNDINI
QUOTE (superjeer @ Jan 29 2009, 08:40 PM) *
They should have put the brakes on the entire project once they decided not to use 100% 4130.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
bluedyno
I thought it was going to be cheap steel but harobikes.com says this:

Original Freestyler US MSRP: $545*
100% 4130 chromoly Haro Freestyle Division frame with modern geometry

Whats the deal?
GR8BNDINI
QUOTE (bluedyno @ Jan 29 2009, 08:48 PM) *

Whats the deal?

I heard only downtube was chromo.
King of Pipeline
Front brake.. more bucks.... not sure why it's so much anyway.. How much of these they making??
SAF
QUOTE (King of Pipeline @ Jan 29 2009, 05:28 PM) *
Front brake.. more bucks.... not sure why it's so much anyway.. How much of these they making??

I think 500 units. It's a really fun bike to ride - I'm digging mine a lot smile.gif
sunbrn
Are these bikes still for sale? If so, who's selling them?
sunbrn
QUOTE (bluedyno @ Jan 29 2009, 02:48 PM) *
I thought it was going to be cheap steel but harobikes.com says this:

Whats the deal?

not any more
http://www.harobikes.com/bmx/tab2_subNav5.php
TRILOGY
QUOTE (sunbrn @ Jan 29 2009, 09:06 PM) *

now THAT is funny !

must have had people complainin to them about false advertisement. it did say full-chromoly before.
sorry but after his nasty emails to potential customers, i will continue to bash Haros business practices. negative.gif
I think his name is Tony@haro has no business dealing with customers directly.
King of Pipeline
These will be popping up on Ebay for years to come, just like any other bike.. There is no way they sold 500, this soon.. I don't think they sold all they're 2006 green ones yet, and those bikes are stoke!
Larryboy
Yeah, that tool Tony Delgado and the way Haro handled this project are what turned me from a loyal Haro fan for 22 yrs to someone who won't buy one again.

Good job guys.
Chevron Envy
Other than the clarity of SAF's photos I'm completely un-impressed. It was such a good idea from the beginning and when Teamtotal was helping provide feedback on the project to the guys at Haro things were headed in the right direction but the final product, in my opinion, isn't very cool.

I still can't believe it's not full chromo, what a shame! Those parts are the absolute lowest quality stuff out there too (except for the Tuffs). With the Freestyler's pedigree you would have expected Haro to really make something special since the market is really only for guys like us. Well, there are a few "SPECIAL" versions of this frame kicking around and for those of you who have one - YOU have the real deal. The '04 Mirra Pro re-badged Master is still the best retro made because it was generally a high-end complete with a special paint job, and oh yeah, Bob's signature!

Too bad, I'm a die hard Haro guy and I don't want one and I have practically everything else Haro ever made new or old school.

P.S. - I know some of you guys had bad dealings with Tony at Haro, but he's a good guy. He may have said some things he shouldn't have but he's a good guy in general. He's very busy and I know he's taken some heat over the project from a bunch of different angles - and it didn't have a lot to do with him.
King of Pipeline
Looks like the first one just hit the Bay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220354300203
humidity saC
That one didn't even meet the reserve - ended at $405.

We can all see by the spec that this bike wasn't meant to be ridden. I wonder if they intended it to be a "nice showpiece" in their dealer's stores?

REALLY? I mean, who would actually ride a bike with only a cromo downtube? In the 80's we laughed at guys that had the tri-moly frames! This is worse!!!

The Haro rep in my area told me they were only producing 250 of them. That might explain the high cost for such a low spec.

I like the idea that the guys at Haro are aware of us collectors and that we would like something retro, but come on guys, give us something that we can actually ride!!!

saC
King of Pipeline
Not meeting that price says low demand....
dave455
whats the top tube length
oldprobmx
I just purchased one of these and made a few modifications before I even road it.

1. took the gyro off, I dont do barspins.

2. took them stem off and replaced it with a DK I had laying around.

3. added some stickers, Skyway on one side of the bar, Woodward on the other I have been going there since 1984.

4. graphite tuffs new school with cool caps, lighter, less flex, and cooler.

5. anno blue valve caps, why is the stem on ther inner tube so long? will change tubes also.

6. I have retro profiles but the wrong bottom bracket, soon.

This is the first Haro I have ever owned and I am very happy with the bike. I have been ridding a Kappa for the past three seasons and always thought the bike was a bit long, I have not measured the Haro but I will bet it is a tad shorter, it just pulls up easier and its heavier? It jumped well, very smooth and just felt good. Thumbs up to Haro. I cant wait to get the cranks on it and would love Skyway to finish the 9 tooth mag project. Hope you enjoy.

Heres some pics

oldprobmx
Here is another shot

superjeer
QUOTE (Larryboy @ Jan 31 2009, 01:19 PM) *
Yeah, that tool Tony Delgado and the way Haro handled this project are what turned me from a loyal Haro fan for 22(+) yrs to someone who won't buy one again.

Good job guys.

+1
oldprobmx
I added some cranks to mine

joe vasquez
i just got mine today. i havent decieded on how i wand to set it up. i dont really care for the 3/8" axle in the rear though. personally, i thought that the bike was rushed though. for a bike like this, Bob Haro's autograph should have been put on here. they should have included a number plate with each bike to make it more authentic.
oldschoolrider88
the no front brake ruined it for me.
out.
bmx joe
Watch when I get mine! Thats all I'm gonna say! biggrin.gif
joe vasquez
if theres one person that can do it right, its bmx joe. im picturing some peregrine super pros and some skin wall tires.
justlive
Haro made 250 of these in the US. And 250 overseas. As of last week I was told they sold all 500. And will be making 500 more when all is said and done. As for the quality of tubing I can understand why everyone would prefer full chro-moly tubing. I was a little disappointed myself at first. But when I got mine I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. The welds are perfect! And it is actually very light. If I had to guess I would say around 35lbs? Maybe even less? I'm actually going to weigh it this week and post it. I'm 37 and I would rather ride this frame today than say an 84' Freestyler when I was 14. The quality of tubing has really come a long way. The quality of high tensile steel is very close to chro-mo today. But either way I would match this frame up against any 80's freestyle frame. The quality/thickness of the tubing along with the quality of welding today compared to then, no matter what metal is used. I completely retro'd mine w/a good mixture of blue parts. I'll try and post pics. In the end, when we were kids going into a bike shop for the first time and checking out all of the cool looking bkes in all the great colors. The last thing we were worrying about was "which one is full chro-moly"? We got into it because the bikes looked great.
sonikk71
Wow as a long time Haro guy when I heard about this I was stoked. But seeing it now....

Not 100% Chromoly = FAIL
Not Swedging the fork droputs like the real thing - Fail
Cheap cheesy components - Fail
Dimple in the Chainstay - Fail
No integrated headset - FAIL
3/8' rear axle - FAIL
No front brake - not so bad

I am sorry guys I want to like it, but I just cant. IF they had delivered on one single thing right, I might be willing to give them some grace but the only thing I see here is good stickers and even that is a fail as it says in big bold letters 4130 Chromoly on the seatpost and not even that is chromoly! smile.gif

SAF's pics - HOTTT!!!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.