Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to BMX and Looking for Bike Recommendations
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Wiggy
OK, this post might not belong here, but I wasn't sure where to put it. If it belongs someplace else, mods please move.

I'm 32 years old, and in pretty good shape. I haven't ridden literally since I was in my early to mid teens. (It's not like I haven't ridden a bike at all since then, but not much.)

I used to follow BMX (racing and freestyle) very closely, and am looking to get back into the sport. To give you an idea of how long it's been, Gary Ellis was winning the ABA and NBL championships, Matt Hoffman was riding unsponsored (after he and Haro split ways...Hoffman Bikes hadn't even been created yet), and street riding was just starting to take root. Hell, I remember when "bashguards" were popular, Kastan was making single-leg forks, and Hawk was making square-tubed aluminum frames.

When I did ride, I had a Mongoose Decade (wish I still had it). I did a little freestyle riding, but mostly jumps, trails, and a little "street" riding.

Now that I'm looking to get back into the sport, I'm looking for a good mid-level bike.

I'd eventually like to race, but for right now, I just want to ride. What I used to do (trails and such) sounds like so much fun. That's what I want to get into.

I initially thought I'd like a race bike, but since most decent bikes seem to be made of aluminum now, I was thinking maybe a street/trails bike instead (something made of 4130 chromoly).

There are so many new manufacturers in the game since I used to ride - I have no idea who half these companies are. I'm trying to do a ton of reading to get "caught up", but it's gonna take a while. I got the latest BMX Plus! (racing bike buyer's guide) and plan to order last month's back issue (freestyle buyer's guide). Hell, the bikes themselves have changed quite a bit since I used to ride.

Anyway, for what I'm looking to do (and for a decent price), I'm looking for bike recommendations. I saw an '04 PK Ripper on craigslist for $200, but thought it might not be what I'm looking for since it's aluminum. The cheaper (as long as quality is good) the better, so used bikes are definitely an option. Got my eyes peeled to craigslist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.
K Robison
Hey Wiggy,

Been reading your posts. You may win "Rookie of the Year" here on VBMX! I'm an older guy and race frequently in both Burlington and Winston-Salem. Welcome back to the sport!!

Finding a new complete in your price range may leave you deciding between an AL race bike or a street/dirt jump bike. Best bet may be checking E-bay/Craigs list for brands like Standard and S&M. I do think Supercross has a low cost CM bike coming out. Unortunately, the sport's going through some trouble with new CPSC rules that makes some new completes difficult to get. You can check out Supercross' website on the right and ask questions. They respond pretty quickly.

BTW When I got back in the sport in May '06, it was on my Kastan cruiser, regular forks though!

Ken
FaithBMX
Out of the site sponsors >> Redline, SE, and DB have cromo jump bikes.
The possible issue you might have is that as the models go down in price they also get shorter top tubes on the frames. To get down to your price range your going to be somewhere around a 20.5" top tube. I don't know how tall you are, but that could be an issue. At 5'10", there is no way I could ride a bike that short.

Redline makes the MX 20 with a 20.75 top tube, race components; the only drawback is that the frame is not full cromo (main tubes only) and hi-ten fork.

You could buy a less expensive bike like the MX 20 and then upgrade the frame later, or buy used.
Pat Cross
Wiggy...

Welcome to VBMX! Cameron, NC...huh...I'm in Sanford, we ride at Cap City in Raleigh, Burlington & Comp Park in Garner. Hit me with a PM and give me your email address...I might have some spare part laying around that I could donate to your cause.

Scot F.
Wiggy,

I know you said you are interested in a chromo bike, but there is a great deal on an '08 Supercross aluminum race bike from a guy in Burlington, NC. One of the locals there is getting rid of his race bike, and all his gear. He has the bike available on its own, or you can buy all his race gear too.

How tall are you? The bike he is selling is a XXL which would be best for riders that are about 5' 10" or over. Of course, this varies by personal preference and how the bike is set up.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/1004614208.html

If you are interested in racing, but want to do some trail riding, alot of the aluminum frames can hold up to some trails. You dont have to buy a street/ trails bike though to get a chromo frame. There are a few companies out there offering chromo race frames that can take on trail/street riding with no problem. You will probably need to find a used, complete bike though. Most chromo race frames are offered as "frame only". Building up a complete, custom will cost you some $$$.

When it comes to S&M keep your eyes peeled for a Challenger, RV, or .38 Special. Those are all race designed chromos. With Standard, look for the 125R, that is their chromo race rig. Brew, Formula, FMF, Schneider... those are all companies that have chromo race frames too. Just keep your eyes peeled and continue to ask questions.
Just JeffB now
I ride everything on one bike now, an S&M .38 Special. I can`t speak enough to the quality.

As previously mentioned, a standard would also kick booty. Neither will be the cheapest bike to build, but you can find some smokin` deals on used ones of you look for them. Find a decent complete and swap out parts to suit your personal taste.
Wiggy
Thanks guys - I really appreciate all the help.

Pat - PM sent.

I like the .38 Special (liked your pics of yours in the other thread JeffB). Plus, you can get it in chrome (call me old school, but I still like chrome much better than paint or powercoat).

I thought about finding a good priced used bike, and then picking up a frame later.

Another dumb question - a lot has changed since I used to ride. Where might be a good spot (besides reading 50 bike review articles) to find out what some of the things I don't know are?

For example, when I used to ride, there were only two kinds of bottom bracket - sealed and unsealed. Now there is Spanish, Euro, Mid, etc. I don't know what all that is. Same goes for different kinds of headsets, seat posts/clamps (are they all the same diameter?), etc.

Thanks again.
Shiloh666
QUOTE (Wiggy @ Jan 25 2009, 10:08 PM) *
OK, this post might not belong here, but I wasn't sure where to put it. If it belongs someplace else, mods please move.

I'm 32 years old, and in pretty good shape. I haven't ridden literally since I was in my early to mid teens. (It's not like I haven't ridden a bike at all since then, but not much.)

I used to follow BMX (racing and freestyle) very closely, and am looking to get back into the sport. To give you an idea of how long it's been, Gary Ellis was winning the ABA and NBL championships, Matt Hoffman was riding unsponsored (after he and Haro split ways...Hoffman Bikes hadn't even been created yet), and street riding was just starting to take root. Hell, I remember when "bashguards" were popular, Kastan was making single-leg forks, and Hawk was making square-tubed aluminum frames.

When I did ride, I had a Mongoose Decade (wish I still had it). I did a little freestyle riding, but mostly jumps, trails, and a little "street" riding.

Now that I'm looking to get back into the sport, I'm looking for a good mid-level bike.

I'd eventually like to race, but for right now, I just want to ride. What I used to do (trails and such) sounds like so much fun. That's what I want to get into.

I initially thought I'd like a race bike, but since most decent bikes seem to be made of aluminum now, I was thinking maybe a street/trails bike instead (something made of 4130 chromoly).

There are so many new manufacturers in the game since I used to ride - I have no idea who half these companies are. I'm trying to do a ton of reading to get "caught up", but it's gonna take a while. I got the latest BMX Plus! (racing bike buyer's guide) and plan to order last month's back issue (freestyle buyer's guide). Hell, the bikes themselves have changed quite a bit since I used to ride.

Anyway, for what I'm looking to do (and for a decent price), I'm looking for bike recommendations. I saw an '04 PK Ripper on craigslist for $200, but thought it might not be what I'm looking for since it's aluminum. The cheaper (as long as quality is good) the better, so used bikes are definitely an option. Got my eyes peeled to craigslist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

I suggest you cease being ROMO.
tommy2x4
Matt...check your pm box...sent you something you might want to check out...

2x4
Wiggy
QUOTE (Shiloh666 @ Jan 28 2009, 07:41 PM) *
I suggest you cease being ROMO.

LOL. The only response I can come up with to that is "WRONG FORUM @##$%^&!!!" laugh.gif

Tommy - your PM has been read and replied to. Thanks!

Shiloh666
QUOTE (Wiggy @ Jan 28 2009, 08:28 PM) *
LOL. The only response I can come up with to that is "WRONG FORUM @##$%^&!!!" laugh.gif

Tommy - your PM has been read and replied to. Thanks!

LOL@Wrong FORUM A$$HOLE!! hahahaha
BGbabyface
Wiggy,
I am 33 and just got back into it this past year. I live in Burlington and race there every weekend they are open. I know the Supercross for sale well. It is a good bike although it has swapped hands a couple of times. I ride a yellow 07 Kuwahara Laserlite and I have learned to love it. I am just a tick over 200lbs and it holds up well. If you are looking for "old guy" racing, Burlington is a good place to go. We usually have atleast total points on every Friday for the 28+ novice class. Before 2008, my last race was 1989 in Burlington and the track is much better than it was in the 80's. The folks at Burlington welcomed me back with open arms and I feel like part of the family now. Come on out, we have a Schwinn Pro Sock 21.5'' TT track bike that is practically new with redline cranks. You don't even need to buy a bike yet.

You are probably closer to Charlotte, Raleigh or Garner but I thought I would throw the invite to Burlington out there.
I have never raced in Charlotte, Raleigh or Garner, but the folks that come to Burlington from those tracks are good folks and I am sure they would love to have you as much as we would!

Good luck, and I hope to see you in the gate soon!

B
Wiggy
Hey B,

Thanks for the invite! I know where Elon is (my grandma used to live in Burlington - close to Church St.) Haven't been that way (admittedly) in quite a while, though.

I'm actually not that close to Charlotte (prob 4 hours or so). I live just north of Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg. Closer to Garner, then Raleigh.

I'm definitely gonna have to try and get up there to check it out!!
TheMollusk
I've got to plug the 38 special. I just picked up my frame, fork, bars , and stem from my local shop and am truly impressed. The welds, tubing, and finish are as good as i've ever seen. The guys down in california are doing a superb job. It's unbelievable what there doing with steel these days. Just waiting for my wheels from kovachi and I'll be a super happy clam. My old bones are looking forward to getting back on steel while serving my "buy local" mentality. I consider this bike to be my contribution to economic stimulation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.