Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 08 OM FLYER Headset Problem
VintageBMX.com > Special Interests > Retro New School
OldMan
Im having problems getting my 08 OM FLYERs headset tight.. its the stock gold headset.. but nomatter what I do it continues to have a little play in it.. has any1 else had this same problem with this bike.. it seems to me that the headset is just junk..
The 26incher
I've heard a few people say the same thing...
Paul Springer
Profile Headset Lock

Problem Solved
GR8BNDINI
Dont get me wrong, Springer has a good idea, but save yourself some time and headaches, swap it out for something different, I think everybody else here has. By the way OldMan, welcome.
SouthSideSS
The stock headset is crap... Get rid of it as soon as possible, I had the same problem and just swapped it out. If you have the cash I would recommend a Chris King head set it is worth the extra cash and easy to sell if you ever want to get rid of it

sold on ebay

mushroomgrips
QUOTE (SouthSideSS @ Jan 23 2009, 02:44 PM) *
The stock headset is crap... Get rid of it as soon as possible, I had the same problem and just swapped it out. If you have the cash I would recommend a Chris King head set it is worth the extra cash and easy to sell if you ever want to get rid of it

sold on ebay

Yes, stock headset is trash. We all had the same problems with our 08 OM Flyer so if you want to save a lot of money and headache just get rid of it now! Ball bearings are no good. Chris King is the way to go.

Hopefully the 09 OM doesn't have the same problem, but I'll probably switch it out for Chris King anyway.
GFR Industries
If anyone has a stock one they want to get rid of PM me ..
Todd Lyons
For 2009, we changed ALL headsets to Tange. Yes, the same Tange from the wayback. You'll find that the Tange headsets are a higher quality than what was on the '08 OM. All good for 2009 & beyond.
STAY RAD

I know this is an oooooold thread... but I recently picked up an 08 OM and I'm having this same issue.
Popped the star nut.... replaced it.... but the headset still comes loose.

So, new headset?
I've also heard about homemade stem locks with carriage bolt and coupler, etc. Any one had success with that?
pwh4130
QUOTE (POO @ Jul 2 2012, 11:40 AM) *
I know this is an oooooold thread... but I recently picked up an 08 OM and I'm having this same issue.
Popped the star nut.... replaced it.... but the headset still comes loose.

So, new headset?
I've also heard about homemade stem locks with carriage bolt and coupler, etc. Any one had success with that?

Seriously, the headset is garbage and will never work right. Trust me, I know. You need to replace it.
STAY RAD
QUOTE (pwh4130 @ Jul 4 2012, 10:54 PM) *
Seriously, the headset is garbage and will never work right. Trust me, I know. You need to replace it.

Yeah.

Any options other than Chris King? I can't drop $100+ on this.

thanks
pwh4130
QUOTE (OldMan @ Jan 23 2009, 01:57 AM) *
Im having problems getting my 08 OM FLYERs headset tight.. its the stock gold headset.. but nomatter what I do it continues to have a little play in it.. has any1 else had this same problem with this bike.. it seems to me that the headset is just junk..

This dead horse has been repeatedly beaten.

Replace the headset. It will never work right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.