Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kappa Starsky
VintageBMX.com > Special Interests > Retro New School
Pages: 1, 2
Pauly
With the talk about a new trickstar in the freestyle forum I got to wanting a Starsky again. Let's see some. It's been a while. Where are they now? I wonder if Scott would consider making another run of them? Would John DeBruin hinder such activity?
race_inc
Here is the "original" Starsky. Basically a 2003 Brutus with Trickstar style front end.

2003 #4 of 15 Starsky.

2004 Starsky with Buff front end.
mr coasterbrake
the lavender is an '03 and my main flatland rider. the candy purple is an '04 and is my backup when i do demos. i also have a couple of other '03 frames as spares. best frames ever.

Pauly
QUOTE (mr coasterbrake @ Jan 9 2009, 01:15 PM) *
i also have a couple of other '03 frames as spares.

Doh! Care to part with one?
mr coasterbrake
Nope, they're way at the bottom of the "get rid of" list. smile.gif
GR8BNDINI
Cool bikes for sure. Um Derek, whos Ferrari? can I get a spin in it?
bmcg5712
Does anybody know where I could get a Kappa Stem?
melvinsarmy
Here is my 04 Starsky. I sold it back in 06. Definitely a sweet bike.

QUOTE (bmcg5712 @ Jan 9 2009, 06:21 PM) *
Does anybody know where I could get a Kappa Stem?

I've never seen one for sale, other than when they were available on Kappa's site. I think they were a pretty limited run. I had one on my Starsky, they were pretty awesome.

race_inc
the lavender is an '03 and my main flatland rider.

Hey Mr. C, tell me about that top tube platform on the 03. Did you have it extended past the supports on your own or did Scott do that for you?
mr coasterbrake
that's just the way it came. my other two '03s are both different: one is almost, but not quite flush and the other one is uneven. the platform isn't extended, the supports are just farther forward.

i mentioned this a long time ago in reference to how people try to ID Trickstars by the platform. you really can't. Scott only built 15 Sarskys in one batch and even they weren't all the same.
Pauly
I just got an email from Scott. He's really backed up right now but said he'd consider another Starsky run if there was enough interest. Anyone interested?
SAF
QUOTE (Pauly @ Jan 10 2009, 12:04 AM) *
I just got an email from Scott. He's really backed up right now but said he'd consider another Starsky run if there was enough interest. Anyone interested?

I am. Count me in.
bmcg5712
QUOTE (melvinsarmy @ Jan 10 2009, 03:24 AM) *
Here is my 04 Starsky. I sold it back in 06. Definitely a sweet bike.

I've never seen one for sale, other than when they were available on Kappa's site. I think they were a pretty limited run. I had one on my Starsky, they were pretty awesome.

If only I could reach through the computer( and pay you for it) and put that on my K20 - I would have a Pro Star model. Either way fellows, I was never into freestyle - but those Starsky's are awesome looking. Nice ride fellows.
UsBoss4life
Here is my starsky,NOS frame forks bars and seat clamp.funny the seat clamp looks like a 2 pcs DK.can anyone tell me if kappa made a seat clamp like that? Well there something wrong with my puter but will post pics soon
melvinsarmy
QUOTE (UsBoss4life @ Jan 10 2009, 11:16 AM) *
Here is my starsky,NOS frame forks bars and seat clamp.funny the seat clamp looks like a 2 pcs DK.can anyone tell me if kappa made a seat clamp like that? Well there something wrong with my puter but will post pics soon

I don't think Kappa made those clamps, I pretty sure they actually were DK clamps that Kappa powdered to match their frames. Those clamps were offered before Kappa made the donut style clamps.
My twin top tube Starsky-

bmcg5712
QUOTE (melvinsarmy @ Jan 10 2009, 05:04 PM) *
I don't think Kappa made those clamps, I pretty sure they actually were DK clamps that Kappa powdered to match their frames. Those clamps were offered before Kappa made the donut style clamps.

I second that. The actucally made Kappa seat post clamps have 1 set bolt and the edges are beveled.
dingobmxer
mine when it was built up:-

I must build it up again one day

cool.gif DINGO cool.gif
race_inc
I must build it up again one day

I got the itch to do mine up again!

Just curious Pauly. Would you like to do another Starsky similar to the 2003? I think that would be cool but be able to add things on like the rear standers, coaster bracket and fork with pegs!
The R
QUOTE (Pauly @ Jan 10 2009, 05:04 AM) *

D'oh! You would bring that extra temptation out here! Man, I really want to build a K-26 when Scott gets around to producing those again, but a Starsky is really,really tempting, especially if it looks like Dingo's, with the rear standers. I think I could leave the fork pegs, though.
Pauly
QUOTE (race_inc @ Jan 10 2009, 05:23 PM) *
I got the itch to do mine up again!

Just curious Pauly. Would you like to do another Starsky similar to the 2003? I think that would be cool but be able to add things on like the rear standers, coaster bracket and fork with pegs!

I would like it to be like the 03 but without rear standers and fork pegs.
Larryboy
I might be intereted in getting one more. I haven't bought any bikes in a LONG time, so I think the wife would allow me to splurge. I'd almost like to just have a frame to hang onto and not build up right now.
Pauly
QUOTE (Larryboy @ Jan 11 2009, 08:10 AM) *
I might be intereted in getting one more. I haven't bought any bikes in a LONG time, so I think the wife would allow me to splurge. I'd almost like to just have a frame to hang onto and not build up right now.

Did you give your son his present yet?
Larryboy
No. March 2010 (7th birthday) is the target. I can't believe I've already waited 5 1/2 years.
race_inc
Wow Matt, I bet the suspense is killing you bro!
Larryboy
Yeah, it's kinda funny though. Every holiday he wants to help me get decorations down from the attic. He helps me move boxes just about 1-2 feet from where it's lying covered with a sheet. No idea it's there.

I can't wait to get it out and see it again myself.
Larryboy
You know, since reading this thread this morning, I've had the idea of another Starsky in my mind all day. Got the thumbs-up from the wife. I really hope Scott does another run. Like the '03 style again. I love my twin TT rider, but I want a regular style for me too since my son has one.
GR8BNDINI
QUOTE (Pauly @ Jan 10 2009, 05:04 AM) *

Yup! good3.gif
melvinsarmy
QUOTE (Pauly @ Jan 10 2009, 08:14 PM) *
I would like it to be like the 03 but without rear standers and fork pegs.

I didn't think any 03's had rear standers or fork pegs. The way I understand it is the rear standers, fork pegs and coaster tab were all options that became available on the 04 models. As well as the twin top tube and different gusset options.
Pauly
QUOTE (melvinsarmy @ Jan 12 2009, 12:08 PM) *
I didn't think any 03's had rear standers or fork pegs. The way I understand it is the rear standers, fork pegs and coaster tab were all options that became available on the 04 models. As well as the twin top tube and different gusset options.

Perfect! I'd be happy with a re-run of 03s then esp. if it can keep costs down.
Larryboy
How many is that so far? 3 or 4? I think the first go-round there were only 12 or 14 of us, so let's get a few more and get us some new Starskys.
Pauly
QUOTE (Larryboy @ Jan 12 2009, 03:01 PM) *
How many is that so far? 3 or 4? I think the first go-round there were only 12 or 14 of us, so let's get a few more and get us some new Starskys.

I started a new thread for those seriously interested. Post again there if you are.
mr coasterbrake
QUOTE (melvinsarmy @ Jan 12 2009, 11:08 AM) *

i have coaster mounts on my '03s.

i don't know about fork pegs, but the rear standers were '04-only.
Larryboy
My son's '03 has the coaster bracket also, but it was an option. Pretty sure the fork/frame standers were optional too in '03, but I could be getting them confused with '04. I have one of each.
mr coasterbrake
scott told me that he wouldn't do the standers on the '03s 'cuz he didn't want scheisters trying to pass them off as Trickstars. he did them on the '04s since they had a different TT platform. whether he did any prototyping of standers in '03, i can't say.

and yep, coaster mounts were an option (both in '03 and 04), as were gyro tabs and 3/8" vs 14mm dropouts.
Larryboy
That's right. Thanks Coaster...bad memory. Getting old.
jesboogie
Anyone thinking about getting a Starsky," DO IT" excellent craftsmanship and quality all around. Just dont be in a hurry, dood is notorious for taking his time to do it right. JD

OG Starsky Owner #007
UsBoss4life
I still cant get my photo to work,but my clamp looks like a DK clamp.I am looking for a kappa clamp though.
b.cal
I wish i had never sold my Aero-sports!!! He needs to do another run of those as well!!
jesboogie
Starsky History Below:

Hello Scott:

This is jesboogie, KStar owner KS007. The following are my preferred options.

Frame
349.99 2003 Kappa Starsky

Option 1.

SPECKLE SKY BLUE

Option 2. Cable Guides

NO

Option 3. 990 mounts under seat stays

NO

Option 4. Gyro Tabs welded on head tube

NO

Option 5. Coaster Brake mount

YES +10.00 mount welded on like the original Trick Star

Option 6. Rear dropout axle slot size

3/8"

Option 7. Frame stickers

WHITE

Option 8. Serial number personalization

YES +5.00 Personalized 3 digit number/letter stamped:

J E S sad.gif

Option 9. Framestand

YES +0.00

Option 10. Forks

YES $74.99 ODY Flatland Forks, 990 mounts, 3/8"
SPARKLE SKY BLUE

Option 11. Handlebars

YES +44.99 Standard 4pc
Kappa Sparkle Sky Blue

Option 12. Stem

NO

Option 13. Seat Post 1" Odyssey Intac

Kappa SPARKLE SKY BLUE

Option 14. Seat Post Clamp

No

Option 15. Cranks (euro)

NO

Option 16. Wheels

NO

Option 17. Shirts

NO

Option 18. Stickers

YES 2 x +1.00 Kappa "www.kappabmx.com" white & blue

Options Total : $167

Thank you very much for making this project happen. I will paypal the money for the options
when I recieve the invoice for them.
If you have any questions, please email me at jesboogie@yahoo.com

Sincerely,

Jesse Diaz
KS007
akcuda
I may as well join in! Here's my rider '03 Starsky:

race_inc
OMG that is a killer ride! I dig the "Trick Starsky" decals, nice custom touch! I really wish that mine had the top tube platform extend past the supports like yours.
Woody's Hot Rods
QUOTE (akcuda @ Jan 16 2009, 11:12 PM) *
I may as well join in! Here's my rider '03 Starsky:

I love that Starsky. Nice job! You definitely have some cool stuff.
Larryboy
One 2003 and one 2004

UsBoss4life
Woody your starsky looks so much like a trickstar,i thought it was.I think i can get a pics post now.04 starksy frame fork bars and seat clamp all NOS.I believe the only way i would get rid of this is for a Judge.
mtbmonkey
QUOTE (UsBoss4life @ Jan 20 2009, 02:44 AM) *
Woody your starsky looks so much like a trickstar,i thought it was.I think i can get a pics post now.04 starksy frame fork bars and seat clamp all NOS.I believe the only way i would get rid of this is for a Judge.

I want one of these frames. Is there anyone out there that is willing to part with one? I can't believe that Kappa is gone. I understand and wish him luck. If anyone is looking to get rid of there Starsky, please let me know.
UsBoss4life
Right now i dont money will get this from me,i just dont have a reason to sell it plus i always wanted a starsky.I got this on ebay,i offered the guy to end the auction early but he had said no.I made him a offer of $500 and i won the auction for $280. I think i made out!
Larryboy
Uh...yeah, you made out.
mtbmonkey
QUOTE (Larryboy @ Jan 27 2009, 04:54 AM) *
Uh...yeah, you made out.

I'll give you $281 for it! Swwet score brother.
bmx joe

03 Kappa Starsky number 09

Kappa Starsky, Hutch Trick Star,Boss Bad Boy and 87 GT Pro Frestyle Tour.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.