Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What ride do you want to build?
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Freestyle BMX
DYNO mite
Mine has been my 86' Hazard Yellow Redline rl22 and my 85' White dyno Comp d-30

The build's i'm doing now are a 86' Haro master and 84' Hutch24" Iím looking for a 87'-88' sport frame as I already have a fork and bars and stem as well as a wheel set for that build...just looking for a sport frame to complete it.

Oh a side note I have a set of Radberry peregrine mags to do a sport in just wondering what colors would you guys use with those wheels...im just looking for some inspiration from other members.
The R
Once you get that 88 Sport, I think the white paint scheme from that year would go well with those mags. If you got an 86 or 85 Sport, I would paint it that rare pink they had.

As for what I'd like to build, no question, it would be my baby blue Trick Star from BITD. I'd try to build it with the exact same parts I had on it. But really, I don't have the motivation to go looking and bidding on ebay for everything. If I came across a frame somewhere, I'd take advantage. Otherwise, it's probably never going to happen.

Another thread on this board (The REAL Trick Star 2 thread) has me wanting to get my old Itson Strike Zone from my mom's house and just clean it up really nice. All the parts are there, in working order. All I have to do is take apart the wheels and rebuild the hubs, really, and adjust the breaks. The stickers are pretty beat up though -- I don't know if anyone has replacements anywhere.

As for a major build, I more into mountain biking now and riding BMX at the race track. I have a Profile DSL-1 hardtail mountain bike frame that I bought a few years back that I never did anything with. I'm thinking I'll build that first. It's in great shape and would make a great jumper, and I think it would be pretty fun on the track, too. It seems to have very low center of gravity and would be a blast to handle -- kind of like a cruiser. The only thing is mountain bike parts are through the roof in terms of cost. More than $800 for the forks I'd like, and probably more than $400 for wheels.

Beyond that, I'm looking to build a Kappa K-26 or the retro Skyway TA cruisers that will be coming out, with top-of-the-line everything. Which frame I build depends on which comes out first. I've been told by both suppliers early next summer some time. I just think it would be fun to do a top-of-the line BMX project. I'm definitely getting an itch to build, and I haven't bought a bike in some years, so...
oldschoolrider88
my absolute favorite build was BOB-O's Ron Wilkerson replica from the 1st Freestylin cover.

sick.
Sixpack
If I had the money I'd build an '88 master or locate my white 87 D-Tour.
Since I do not have the cash, I just stare at the pictures on here! biggrin.gif
Bust It
If I was going to build a bike right now, it would be going back to an early Trick Star that I owned. I still have the frame and original Profile cranks, but that is it. I have pictures of the bike shortly after I bought it. I had it built custom with all the parts that I wanted in a bike at the time. It was in 84 or 85. I went into Summit City Bicycles in Fort Wayne with a hand written list of what I wanted on the bike. They built it exact with the exception of the grips. It was bad. Candy apple red TS frame & fork, red Woody bars, chrome Profiles, white Mike Buff ACS Z-rims, & DK stem, were some of the key components. It was bad (insert backside term here wink.gif ) at the time.

Not sure I will ever invest the time and resources for the build, but I might just have to.
DYNO mite
QUOTE (oldschoolrider88 @ Jan 8 2009, 04:06 PM) *
my absolute favorite build was BOB-O's Ron Wilkerson replica from the 1st Freestylin cover.

sick.

Yes I remember that build...I wonder if that bike is still around.

PEP
+1 on that GT. Definitely Pat....Wilkerson & I talked the other day about that bike. He was pretty stoked on that build.

pep
aluv
I want to completely restore my 86 RL20II with the white peregrines I still have from back in the 80's. Good topic by the way.
Scott

This is my dream bike
aluv
HALLA!!!!
DYNO mite
HMMMM WOW i guess nobody is in the hobby anymore.

Hopefully we will start seeing an overflow of vintage bikes on the bay soon...woo hoo!!!
BMXnerd
I am currently working on two bikes. I have a 86 Haro Sport and a 88 Kuwahara Bravo. I'm turning them both into low riders greaser style. Cut, chop, extend, bend, primer, drag those pedals.
281cammer
Currently I'm just wanting to get me another nice Hutch built. I really wish I had my lavender Hollywood still but someone helped themselves to it. angry.gif

QUOTE (Scott @ Jan 8 2009, 11:20 PM) *

This is my dream bike

My girlfriend ask, "Are those jellybeans on the pads", I said I think they are little wieners! biggrin.gif Skeletor drinks.gif
sonikk71
QUOTE (DYNO mite @ Jan 12 2009, 08:26 AM) *
HMMMM WOW i guess nobody is in the hobby anymore.

Hopefully we will start seeing an overflow of vintage bikes on the bay soon...woo hoo!!!

I will tell you what I am building right now. I am in the process of building an 85 master but darnit if the bad economy and the fact this sport is soooo darn expensive isn't keeping me from making any progress!!!! It is really frusterating. If I didnt love BMX so much I dont think I might have already sold what parts I do have an moved on but I will never do that! It may take awhile but I will get this thing finished exactly to spec! biggrin.gif WHew there... feel better now. Oh wait... GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! Ok there, now I feel better! smile.gif
mysweeethutch
I'm re-creating a pre-serial Hutch pro racer that my lil bro got stolen when I was away at college. Next would be a Skyway TA or an all white Gt pro world tour like the one Eddie Fiola rocked back in the day.
RIDE A BIKE
My favorite builds were my 2 skyway TAs and my Redline RL 20 II sun_bespectacled.gif The bikes I would like to build are my SE looptail quad and Redline PL 20 good2.gif
Wheelie Nelson
I've got a white '87 Pro Freestyle tour I need to throw together.

Surprisingly enough, I need a couple of 1" headsets to get some things going.
Brian P
for 4 plus years i have been gathering up the parts to re-create the only bike i have pictures of me riding from BITD.

2 parts away now......

anyone got grey dyno forks or black peregrine 3pc cranks? OG used finish only....
Rich Soryu
I want to rebuild my Dyno Detour, but with better rims and crank so that I can ride flat with it again. Most of my riding was done back in the day with that bike, so it is my most treasured ride. I am going to have it repainted when I can find replacement decals for the original '89-90 purple ones that came with it. At one point I repainted the bike and put newer decals on it.

I also want to get started on my USA made Trick Star, but I don't know what parts I want on it, and and to get my Auburn coated so that I can stick it up and put it back together since I love racing it.
Spicoli
QUOTE (DYNO mite @ Jan 8 2009, 03:12 PM) *
Mine has been my 86' Hazard Yellow Redline rl22 and my 85' White dyno Comp d-30

The build's i'm doing now are a 86' Haro master and 84' Hutch24" Iím looking for a 87'-88' sport frame as I already have a fork and bars and stem as well as a wheel set for that build...just looking for a sport frame to complete it.

Oh a side note I have a set of Radberry peregrine mags to do a sport in just wondering what colors would you guys use with those wheels...im just looking for some inspiration from other members.

How about a custom Radberry Sport ? I think Stephen did a radberry Air Master a couple of years ago that looked hot...

I'm still looking for a original turqouise 86 RL20 frame to re-create my childhood bike...I got all the rest of the parts, but this frame has been the hardest part for me to get since getting in the hobby...Anybody ???

I should have my 07 Retro Quad completed in the next couple of weeks.

Also will need to have my daughters custom checkered Redline done soon as it's part of her senior project...btw, if anyone has any tips for doing a checkerboard paint job, please PM me, or respond to the thread I started in the resto section...

I plan on building up a nice chrome Mongoose M1 for my wife before summer...

I'm knocking around a few ideas for Rockford as I plan to attend....my OG Hazard yellow RL20 or grey Performer may make an appearance if I can get a few more parts that I need...
COASTY
I just need to get some bars powdered and find some cheap Redline pads (early Proline ones!!) the my fav build will be done.
It's Jeff Watsons Mongoose bike.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.