Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kansas City Area Indoor BMX Track
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
Smorrow
trying my market search! What interest would there be for an indoor BMX track in Kansas City are for the winter season? I have the location, starting the process and trying to decide wether I should continue or not. The time and money investment is huge, and I would like some general feedback from those that might attend.
thank you,
Scott
Gino
We would come down from the Omaha area depending on what days and times you plan to race.
Weazel
I'd so be down and i'm sure quit a few of the people from the two tracks would love the idea as well. Nothing sucks worse than having to take a unwanted vacation from bmxing do to cold or inclement weather. Shoot me a pm if you need any help, i've been helping out lately w/ the Raytown track.
Eddie

Ha, i just read the name, is this Dakota's dad?
Smorrow
QUOTE (Weazel @ Nov 13 2008, 07:02 PM) *
I'd so be down and i'm sure quit a few of the people from the two tracks would love the idea as well. Nothing sucks worse than having to take a unwanted vacation from bmxing do to cold or inclement weather. Shoot me a pm if you need any help, i've been helping out lately w/ the Raytown track.
Eddie

Ha, i just read the name, is this Dakota's dad?

yep, it's me!
Thanks for the help offer. We will need it!
Scott
GetNHarry
I would come over from Topeka if it was weekend racing. Especially since football is almost over.

MacsMom08
An indoor in our back yard boy are we in. There are alot of St Peters riders that make the trip to Hobart, Indy and Dayton in the winter for track time. We would love to see an indoor closer you could count on a bunch of riders like The Mac, Davis boys, Deters, Cotton, Harris, Palasoto, Schulk and the list goes on.

Let us know when, where and if you need any help. This is like a dream come true.
Weazel
Hey Scott anytime, just let me know when you need help and what you need help with. Where abouts are you looking to build or is it a secret still smile.gif
MacsMom08
Posting for Rider Dirty Davis

WE WILL SUPPORT HIS &(OURS) DREAM good3.gif
MIKEKW
I,am sure Devin And Bridget would come over from Topeka. Depending on what day it was. Will the raytown track loan you there ram and cadence box?
Mike
bmxdeputy
YEAH I WOULD MAKE THE TRIP FROM ILLINOIS, CLOSER THAN HOBART.
djdan
Scot knows that I am ready to help anyway that I can, even though he hasn't returned my call!! I'm sure he's busy!! ha
Scot, even though there hasn't been tons of response yet, once word got out that there really was a new indoor track in this area, I believe that rider counts would go through the roof! There are so many tracks around these few states that get no track time during the winter and then the wet springtime, that people would be willing to make the drive, whether it's 1hr or 4hrs!! Our good friends over in the St Louis area drive more than that now to get to Steelwheels.
I don't know what rider counts are like at Steelwheels, Walworth, or Rehbeins, but it must be good enough to keep the doors open and the gate dropping!!
Please let us know what you need. You never know what people have to offer until you ask.
djdan
Does anyone know what the track length is at Rehbeins? Is that the smallest of the indoors around here in the midwest? Regardless of how small it is, it is still somewhere to ride during the winter!!
C'mon KC, let's show Scott that we will help with this indoor track!!
MacsMom08
Hey Scott,

What is the word on the KC indoor? We are hoping that you are so busy lining this deal up that you have not had time to reply.
Smorrow
I want to thank all those that have shown interest. we are still working towards getting the track going.
I hope to have great news before Grands.

couple things we are still looking for. dirt, starting gate, and a way to heat a very large metal building.
Any ideas for heat?

thanks,
Scott
MacsMom08
Hey Scott I believe that both Hobart and Dayton do not heat the building just some hanging heater over the bleachers.
thejetsdad
SteelWheels has heaters all the way around the building, but we can only afford to set them at 50 degrees. We have to run them all winter long to keep the sprinkler system from freezing.

The last time I was at Dayton they only had heaters above the bleachers.
tfd2827
QUOTE (Smorrow @ Nov 13 2008, 12:23 PM) *
trying my market search! What interest would there be for an indoor BMX track in Kansas City are for the winter season? I have the location, starting the process and trying to decide wether I should continue or not. The time and money investment is huge, and I would like some general feedback from those that might attend.
thank you,
Scott

would come down from southern mn a few times, we drive all over hell anyway! a 2 day event with at least a double, we're on the road.
tfd2827
QUOTE (djdan @ Nov 15 2008, 03:38 PM) *
Does anyone know what the track length is at Rehbeins? Is that the smallest of the indoors around here in the midwest? Regardless of how small it is, it is still somewhere to ride during the winter!!
C'mon KC, let's show Scott that we will help with this indoor track!!

we make the 2 1/2 hr drive to Rehbeins almost every weekend for the sat nite/sunday races. Dont quote me but i think length is like 650', they take a second lap around part of it to get to around 900. We'd be down for another indoor
MacsMom08
Scott how large of a metal building are we talking? May have a friend that can help.
Smorrow
It's 25,000 square feet. 14-20 feet ceiling.
The concessions/restrooms is/will be heated by propane and is not part of that square feet total.

We looked at kerosene salamander heaters. Those are expensive to buy and kerosene is not that cheap this season. I have not checked into renting them yet.

Looking at some infrared heaters. Electric bill will suffer I am sure.

Another option, is to sell long underwear at concessions I guess. LOL

I don't expect it to be 75 in there all winter long. 50-55 would be OK.

thanks!
Scott
Smorrow
If you had a track to race this winter in KC, what race schedule would you prefer?

Racing one weeknight and a Saturday.
Racing just the weekends Saturday evening and Sunday AM?

Also, how many practice nights are needed?
Once per week?
Twice?

thanks for the feedback.

Scott
MacsMom08
Hey Scott,

If you raced Sat and Sun that would be great for us from out of town or Practice on day and race the other.

It is worth staying to get in two days on the track. I know that we would do an over nighter at least twice a month.
jwahl
QUOTE (MacsMom08 @ Nov 20 2008, 11:53 AM) *
Hey Scott,

If you raced Sat and Sun that would be great for us from out of town or Practice on day and race the other.

It is worth staying to get in two days on the track. I know that we would do an over nighter at least twice a month.

+1
Gino
+2
BMXaddict
Saturday night / Sunday morning racing would be awesome.
Bikemonkeys
Don't fall for anyone out of state saying "if you build it we will come."

Want to sell a Brew Pit bike?
MacsMom08
Well Scott knows that St Peters riders are not out of State...just 2 1/2 hours away!!! and If you build it MAC will be there and as Dirty would say we take as many extra kids as we can.
Smorrow
Macsmom08,
I have no worries about the St Peters and Springfield folks supporting the track!
I know there are some serious knuckleheads (like myself) that will drive their kids
all over the place. LOL

I want it to be the best it can be for everyone that attends.
Probably stay with weekend racing. works better for most and then we can adjust the
practice schedule as needed.

thanks for the feedback!

Scott
jwahl
QUOTE (Smorrow @ Nov 20 2008, 03:21 PM) *
Macsmom08,
I have no worries about the St Peters and Springfield folks supporting the track!
I know there are some serious knuckleheads (like myself) that will drive their kids
all over the place. LOL

I'd worry about those NE people though...that Gino guy is shifty.... tongue.gif
tfd2827
We are from WAY outta state but if you build it we WILL come. Southern Mn, SD, Wisc. & most likely a nice turnout outta Iowa i would think. DO IT
djdan
This is sounding better & better everyday!! Keep up the good work Scott!!!
Let us know when you need help!!
MIKEKW
danny dj how are you?
Gino
aawww... shifty is as shifty does... ph34r.gif
djdan
I am doing good! Ready to finally do some racing for the 1st time in the winter, in the KC area!!
And you?
MacsMom08
Hey if anyone is looking for some track time this weekend before Grands. St Peters will be having practice tomorrow noon to 4pm and racing Sunday. Weather to be about 50 out. The track is in good shape. This will more than likely be our last weekend. Unless Mother Nature is nice and she has been rough to us this year.

Sorry Scott, not trying to get off topic.
MIKEKW
Margy, Devin, Bridget, and I are all good. We are getting ready for the Grands
djdan
It was pretty cold at the Raytown track today!! What's the latest on moving things indoors??
hairballmike
I'd make the drive from St.Louis a couple of times a month.
Smorrow
Dan, and others.

We should sign the lease today or tomorrow.
Jerry Rau and I went down last night and took some dimensions and pictures.
Will work on the track layout and hopefully have something figured out at Grands.

It is a dirty old rodeo barn, but man I love it!!!

There will be lots of help needed in cleaning stuff, moving rodeo stuff and raking dirt.
I'll keep you posted.

Scott
djdan
Scott, thanks for the update! Just let us all know when you might want to have a work day. This is very exciting for us midwest riders that don't have an indoor track within 7-8 hrs!!
Keep up the good work! And thanks to our other 2 tracks Blue Springs and Raytown for all their hardwork during the season~!!
willhays
I'm in Shawnee Mission, KS so I'd obviously be there in a heartbeat. Congratulations on the lease!

I know I'm not one of the Raytown or Blue Springs regulars but I'd be happy to help get things going.
jayhawkfrank
Total newbee here wanting to know if this is still a reality? We happen to live in lawrence just down the road from this proposed track and this sounds fun. We are motocross racers and would like to bmx this winter. Another question is my boy is 4 years old is he allowed to ride? (He does race a 50cc ktm)
doghousebikes
I live south of Des Moines and probably would travel down to ride. We have no indoor track anywhere near here. Where would this track be?

Hey DJ DAN ! How's it goin?

Joni
kristasmommy
QUOTE (jayhawkfrank @ Dec 3 2008, 08:51 PM) *
Total newbee here wanting to know if this is still a reality? We happen to live in lawrence just down the road from this proposed track and this sounds fun. We are motocross racers and would like to bmx this winter. Another question is my boy is 4 years old is he allowed to ride? (He does race a 50cc ktm)

If your 4 yr old can ride with no training wheels he can race bmx... I know there is a 2yr old sorry just turned 3 racing in Blue Springs.... welcome to bmx
Gillenwater
rumor has it the lease for the building was signed today!!! good2.gif
moorebmx
QUOTE (Gillenwater @ Dec 6 2008, 07:51 PM) *
rumor has it the lease for the building was signed today!!! good2.gif

Scott,

Do you have any idea when your first weekend of racing may be?? How long will the track be?? When will the website be up and running? We live in Denver and may try to come over in Jan if open

Thanks
Smorrow
First race weekend is hopefully January 10-11. The track length should be about 800'. Hoping for 900', but just depends on our layout. Website is close to being finished, I'll post it when we are up and running.

That would be great! Will be great to see out of town racers!
Scott
Gazoo
QUOTE (Smorrow @ Nov 20 2008, 10:28 AM) *
If you had a track to race this winter in KC, what race schedule would you prefer?

Racing one weeknight and a Saturday.
Racing just the weekends Saturday evening and Sunday AM?

Also, how many practice nights are needed?
Once per week?
Twice?

thanks for the feedback.

Scott

coming from wichita and planning on making a lot of trips... id like to see racing on saturday and 2 practice night
Smorrow
Gazoo,
we will be racing Saturday night and Sunday noon. Pracitce will be Friday nights. Before Guthrie, we will practice that Monday and Wednesday. Same for DeSoto.

Thanks,
Scott
Gazoo
i know where ill be spending my sat. nights now till the local track re-opens biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.