Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: North Jersey BMXer's
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2
mdp2000
Hey there all Vintage BMXer's.. Stumbled across this site by accident. WOW does it bring back great memories.. WOuld love to hear from any New Jersey BMXer's. I was from North JErsey, raced at Braddock, Jersey City Amory, Howell, OAkland and Englishtown(WWBMX Days), was on the National Circuit a bit also.
ANT DOG 3:16
I am a current bmx racer, from edison nj.

NJBMXRACING.COM come on over bro
kmart
Raced all those places..

Ran WWBMX. ABA NY-2, and some NBL. Rode for JV, SMB and TNT back in the day..

Good to hear from another Braddock Bomber..

Kenny Martin
mdp2000
what age were you back then. Your name sounds so familiar. I raced from 80-85... my prime was 13, 14 , 15 expert.. My name is Mike Polidoro. Race for Scavones Bike shop and had a co-sponsorship with MCS..
mdp2000
KMart..
Read some of your posts on other threds.. I bet we crossed paths many times.... We know many of the same guys and gals

QUOTE (ANT DOG 3:16 @ Oct 28 2008, 08:05 PM) *
I am a current bmx racer, from edison nj.

NJBMXRACING.COM come on over bro

I was looking at that site before.. Glad to see NJ BMX is still alive. I currently live on Long ISland and there is a Track in SHoreham not to far from my house. Trying to get my kids interested
kmart
I'm sure we did...

I was born in 71 and raced into 86.

Big competition for me locally was Gibby Graner for half the year, Jose Nieves early on. I was NY-2 #1 for 2 years. Did Braddock twice a week all the Armory races and local Nationals ABA and NBL.

Post some pics if you have em...I will post up some of mine too..

Later
mdp2000
yes Jose Nieves...... i remeber him very well.. OK your 2 years younger than me.. I had the likes of Franco Perrino, Brad Dalbec, Judd Ciancio locally... especially at Armory and Braddock... I have to go to my parents house and get some pics.......
84pk
Hey Mike. Welcome aboard. I totally remember your name from back in the day. I did the Oakland, Bradock, JC, Englishtown circuit on a regular basis too. Me and my dad use to hang with Gibby trackside along with Eric Buchman. My name is Mike Matsko. There is a Scavone's thread on here that I started a while back.

Please post pics if you have em. I only have one picture of my 4 year racing career and it kills me.
BShute
I'm from South Jersey and raced ABA & NBL.
never liked any of you fast North Jersey guys!! tongue.gif

raced Braddock, Jersey City Amory, Howell but only for the double & triple points races.
mdp2000
MIke,
I remember you guys.. I too have few pics from my racing days. Have to get my parents to fing them for me. Will post them as I find them.

BShute,
Where from south jersey are you. Do you remember a real fast girl rider from Vineland area who rode I think for Torker back in '84-85. She was HOT!!! I was talking with someothers about her and no one can remeber her name. Its killing me.... LOL
BShute
QUOTE (mdp2000 @ Oct 31 2008, 08:05 AM) *
BShute,
Where from south jersey are you. Do you remember a real fast girl rider from Vineland area who rode I think for Torker back in '84-85. She was HOT!!! I was talking with someothers about her and no one can remeber her name. Its killing me.... LOL
Jenny Zuener.
and I think it was earlier like 82-83

a few of my first novice races I had to race her at Deptford since there were no local full classes for girls.
no, she never beat me, I was 5 races and out of Novice fast...lol

she was totally cool. a bunch here should know her.
her brother "Sal" was cool also and a little before my time.

I did race a few races for "Peddlers East" bike shop which they ran.

just found an old picture of her back in the day. 13 yrs old
it was at the "Broken Spokes" NJ forum

http://www.ver3.brokenspokes.net/media/ori....jpg?1955656264
mdp2000
that's her name... I forgot about her brother Sal. I spent many weekends with her as she was really good friends with Darcee Dalbec, and I was very good friends with Brad. Thanks for jogging my memory. What year were your born?? Trying to figure out if we were in the same class...
MeredithJL
QUOTE (BShute @ Nov 16 2008, 02:57 AM) *
Jenny Zuener.
and I think it was earlier like 82-83

a few of my first novice races I had to race her at Deptford since there were no local full classes for girls.
no, she never beat me, I was 5 races and out of Novice fast...lol

she was totally cool. a bunch here should know her.
her brother "Sal" was cool also and a little before my time.

I did race a few races for "Peddlers East" bike shop which they ran.

just found an old picture of her back in the day. 13 yrs old
it was at the "Broken Spokes" NJ forum

http://www.ver3.brokenspokes.net/media/ori....jpg?1955656264

Jennie Zeuner was one of the funniest girls on the race circuit as well; I raced for JV too, and we raced each other a lot. She was hilarious and we ended up being good friends for a couple of years.... Am wondering where she is these days.
Meredith
hutchproracer1984
QUOTE (MeredithJL @ Nov 16 2008, 11:16 PM) *
Jennie Zeuner was one of the funniest girls on the race circuit as well; I raced for JV too, and we raced each other a lot. She was hilarious and we ended up being good friends for a couple of years.... Am wondering where she is these days.
Meredith

long live braddock bmx
Loper
This is Jennie's place........ http://www.hottomatocafe.com/
Bill Hayden
How about Island Dragway, when the cars were running at the same time as the BMX
kmart
Englishtown too...

Too bad WWBMXA didn't last my dad was a drag racer and loved it when we went to E Town or Island Dragway
BShute
QUOTE (Loper @ Nov 17 2008, 10:34 AM) *
This is Jennie's place........ http://www.hottomatocafe.com/

Hey Thanks Mark,,

that's awesome to see her again after 23 years.
I sent her a message from her site saying Hi.

she was just way too cool back then ! cool.gif
jen zeuner
Hey you guys, i heard a rumor that there were some guys from Jersey looking for me! HA!

Hello Hello!

Mark thanks for putting up the link to my place.

Any of you guys still ride? After i left NJ, i moved out west and raced mtn bikes for a good 10 years, ran a few bike shops and now have a pizza shop in western colorado. The trails are sweet and we can ride almost year round, it is pretty ideal for anyone who loves to ride!

I hope you are well. I am not on this site much but my personal email is jenzeuner@yahoo.com

cheers
jenny z

ps. Brian i think i did beat you...
BShute
QUOTE (jen zeuner @ Nov 19 2008, 09:40 PM) *
Hey you guys, i heard a rumor that there were some guys from Jersey looking for me! HA!

Hello Hello!

ps. Brian i think i did beat you...
nice to hear from you again.

hmmm, at least I had a good view tongue.gif
Kazman
I moved from Maryland to North Jersey around 1985 and Braddock became my home track. I remember Wayne King who was a year or two older, and Pete Whogulmuth (spelling) was in my class.
BShute
QUOTE (Kazman @ Nov 19 2008, 11:15 PM) *
I moved from Maryland to North Jersey around 1985 and Braddock became my home track. I remember Wayne King who was a year or two older, and Pete Whogulmuth (spelling) was in my class.
I remember hanging out with them a lot when they came down my way or I came up.
Pete "Wohlgemuth" was a nice quiet guy....Wayne was the opposite.

I forget the bike shop they road for, I remember the uniform was white with some checkered flags or something on it.
kmart
QUOTE (BShute @ Nov 20 2008, 04:21 AM) *
I remember hanging out with them a lot when they came down my way or I came up.
Pete "Wohlgemuth" was a nice quiet guy....Wayne was the opposite.

I forget the bike shop they road for, I remember the uniform was white with some checkered flags or something on it.

I hung with Wayne and Pete at Braddock a lot. Wayne and his sister Leslie rode for Clifton as did Gibby Graner (my nemesis), Red White and Black. Pete road for Cliffside, Blue and White. Pete was racing on and off last year. I saw him out at the Christmas classic in Columbus.
Broken Spoke
Who was the 16-17x Panda rider (Tall, blonde hair ) that would always show up at the Jersey City Armory in the early 80's?
ANT DOG 3:16

Wogs 2 years ago

Pete "Wohlgemuth" was a nice quiet guy
BShute
QUOTE (ANT DOG 3:16 @ Nov 20 2008, 08:49 AM) *
Wogs 2 years ago
kinda still looks like him...lol

BShute
QUOTE (kmart @ Nov 20 2008, 08:23 AM) *
I hung with Wayne and Pete at Braddock a lot. Wayne and his sister Leslie rode for Clifton as did Gibby Graner (my nemesis), Red White and Black. Pete road for Cliffside, Blue and White. Pete was racing on and off last year. I saw him out at the Christmas classic in Columbus.
ahh Clifton, that was it.
I think the checkered logo I was referring to was from a younger rider named Jimmy Gnecco.
I think a bunch rode for that team. being from down South I never paid it much attention.
kmart
QUOTE (BShute @ Nov 20 2008, 04:56 PM) *
ahh Clifton, that was it.
I think the checkered logo I was referring to was from a younger rider named Jimmy Gnecco.
I think a bunch rode for that team. being from down South I never paid it much attention.

Yup Jummy rode for JV (as did I for a little while) then for TNT with me again. He is the lead singer for the band Ours these days.

I would attatch some pics but there is no rool left for uploads
BShute
QUOTE (kmart @ Nov 20 2008, 12:56 PM) *
Yup Jummy rode for JV (as did I for a little while) then for TNT with me again. He is the lead singer for the band Ours these days.
That is too freakin cool !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Gnecco

damn his voice is sick!! you hear it on the site...crazy!
http://www.ours.net/

I only remember him as a 11-12 x

funny how some people get places and you never know it.
kmart
Yea, I downloaded some from iTunes last year..Good Stuff.
Brad Dalbec
Hey Mike P, Meredith L, Jen Z and Mark L...

What's going on guys? Good to see a few new familiar names here. Always had the best times at the tracks up in NJ hanging out with everyone.

...nice quiet guy....Wayne was the opposite.

Wayne King was hilarious with some of his antics...lol He dated my sister for a few years and we always had a blast when he was around.

I remember he "phsyched" me out on the gate at Braddock on time. He pulled up next to me as serious as could be and said "I'm gonna f**n kill you!" I started laughing so hard, I blew my start. As I caught up to him down by the finish, I was yelling to him "Don't look back I'm coming for your a**!" So he dropped his bike like he was going to fight me and when I got up to him, he was laughing his butt off and said "got you!"

One time on a dare, he ate 6 bagels and an entire pound of cream cheese for breakfast before we went out fishing on our boat. He got sea sick, puked it all up and then ate three more.
BShute
QUOTE (Brad Dalbec @ Nov 20 2008, 09:20 PM) *
Wayne King was hilarious with some of his antics...lol He dated my sister for a few years and we always had a blast when he was around.

I remember he "phsyched" me out on the gate at Braddock on time. He pulled up next to me as serious as could be and said "I'm gonna f**n kill you!" I started laughing so hard, I blew my start. As I caught up to him down by the finish, I was yelling to him "Don't look back I'm coming for your a**!" So he dropped his bike like he was going to fight me and when I got up to him, he was laughing his butt off and said "got you!"

One time on a dare, he ate 6 bagels and an entire pound of cream cheese for breakfast before we went out fishing on our boat. He got sea sick, puked it all up and then ate three more.

that sounds like the Wayne I remember.

kmart
Sounds about right..

I remember killing time between motos at Braddock by throwing food into the fan blades of his pickup truck...

Sounds about right..

I remember killing time between motos at Braddock by throwing food into the fan blades of his pickup truck...
Kazman
That's the Wayne I remember as well. I saw him briefly out at Secaucus BMX in the mid 90's.
jen zeuner
Holy Crap-that is too funny! We did have the best times back then and Wayne was crazy!

Hey Brad, thanks for the smiles! Since we are talking about all of this old school goodness, anyone know what happened to Nick Dottino?
Larry
Whats up guys I lived in Piscataway, I raced 20 and cruiser from 82-85 in Nj then moved for a few years. I made my comeback this season after a 20 year break it feels good. Do you guys remeber Jarrett Justice. I did allot of Howell and Flemington races but did also venture out, do you guys remeber the small track by the boardwalk I think it was asbury park.
tcook
Hey Fellow NJ BMXERS!

Found this Millville Program in an attic box. FOund a lot more and will scan and post!

Hey Fellow NJ BMXERS!

Found this Millville Program in an attic box. FOund a lot more and will scan and post!
Cook Bros Seeker
Grew up in Queens in the 80s and my entire, but short, BMX career was at Braddock. I raced a Ross Snapper with Z-rims - what a race bike. LOL

tcook
Here's some magazine and program covers I dug up. Enjoy!
brklynbmx
QUOTE (jen zeuner @ Nov 20 2008, 11:21 PM) *
Holy Crap-that is too funny! We did have the best times back then and Wayne was crazy!

Hey Brad, thanks for the smiles! Since we are talking about all of this old school goodness, anyone know what happened to Nick Dottino?

hey jen , i raced with nick dot. and herman clot,kathie schachel,dave spanky cambellas well as jimmy gneco...but he was as i remember tina's lil bro. my name is richie votta hope i rang up some memories with the names i saw your bro terry way back in the early 90,s at english town drags i was racing for jv in the early 80's just wanted to say hi....ps i still race every now and then with my son at chandler bmx in az...lol
Racer
Richie! You ever do anything with that stuff you had you wanted to get rid of? You ever see my last few logos I did for you before brokenspokes went down? Richie was fast for those of you that didnt race him.

I only raced 1 NorJersey track and that was usually friday nights at Braddock, sometimes Sunday. I did go to the 79 Craigmeur national to watch. Did most of my racing in central and south Jersey.

Hey did any of you WWBA or WWBMXA guys (which is it, Ive seen it both ways), save any Newsletters or did they have a newspaper or just photocopied points etc???

I have never seen a track directory or a national schedule or anything official WWBMXA. Anyone got any scans of that stuff or points?
Cook Bros Seeker
QUOTE (mdp2000 @ Oct 29 2008, 01:37 AM) *
KMart..
Read some of your posts on other threds.. I bet we crossed paths many times.... We know many of the same guys and gals

I was looking at that site before.. Glad to see NJ BMX is still alive. I currently live on Long Island and there is a Track in SHoreham not to far from my house. Trying to get my kids interested

I'm from Long Island - Nassau County - and both my kids race at Shoreham. I always trying to recruit my son's friends, but the parents don't seem to be willing to drive 45 minutes away. I also raced at Braddock while growing up in Queens. My race career was short lived because the LBS stopped going and that is who took me.
brklynbmx
QUOTE (Racer @ Dec 26 2008, 11:35 PM) *
Richie! You ever do anything with that stuff you had you wanted to get rid of? You ever see my last few logos I did for you before brokenspokes went down? Richie was fast for those of you that didnt race him.

I only raced 1 NorJersey track and that was usually friday nights at Braddock, sometimes Sunday. I did go to the 79 Craigmeur national to watch. Did most of my racing in central and south Jersey.

Hey did any of you WWBA or WWBMXA guys (which is it, Ive seen it both ways), save any Newsletters or did they have a newspaper or just photocopied points etc???

I have never seen a track directory or a national schedule or anything official WWBMXA. Anyone got any scans of that stuff or points?

hey eric thanks for the intro bro, i still have the parts and from time to time selling them on ebay,i just sold a set of graphite tuffs they went for 1,250.00 on ebay lol...jv gave them to me back in 82 what are you up to? wana make some nos jmc's?......
Racer
Broken Spoke
I think you are talking about "Fast" Freddie. If I remember his last name was hard like Diguillemo or something.
Some pictures at the Armory (including me racing Freds class I think, Im in first in a red BMXA uniform) at bmxnj.com look in John McNeals photos.
Not only was he a Hutch fast cat but I didnt know his dad took pictures for the magazines including the local "BMXer" newspaper.

Hi Jenny. I never raced u but Im sure I woulda beat u down, like I beat down Sal and Terry and Porky. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hey Richie
daveolear
Me and my buddies from Bethel CT went to Craigmeur in summer 79, had just started racing at a local CT track and thought we'd try the big time, I was 14 and still running a coaster brake, here is Dave Poklemba leading Jim Kulp, both from Bethel, both 16, into the Craigmeur first turn, Kulp is about to eat it I'm sure, the first turn was challenging to say the least, check the pie plates, jeans, and knee pads

We raced Howell, Patterson indoor, and a few others I cant remember the names from 80 to 82, here is Kulp 328 getting blown away at the Jersey City Armory Feb 1980, 193 is running knobbies indoor

Racer
A pic of me at the Jersey City Armory the winter of 80/81. I'm leading thru what I think is turn 1. Turn 2 had that cool looking fiberglass berm no one used if I remember correctly.

pcohen
Hey Guys, I raced at Lake Melody for 2 seasons and Raced the Armory 1, that armory was brutal. I liked outdoor much better, I was from Whippany NJ, anyone here ever ride at a place called "the crater" in Whippany? I remember people from all over would show up and ride once in a while this was around 80-84... Great pics!

QUOTE (Racer @ Apr 10 2009, 09:52 PM) *
A pic of me at the Jersey City Armory the winter of 80/81. I'm leading thru what I think is turn 1. Turn 2 had that cool looking fiberglass berm no one used if I remember correctly.

NYBMX
Anyone know what Chris Williams is doing.He was a great guy back in the day
Brad Dalbec
We were teammates for Thruster. I just contacted Chriss recently and he's doing well. He's a college professor in NJ. He's a great guy and we had a lot of fun back then.

Here's our team photo from 1983.

QUOTE (NYBMX @ Apr 14 2009, 12:17 AM) *
Anyone know what Chris Williams is doing.He was a great guy back in the day

NYBMX
QUOTE (Brad Dalbec @ Apr 13 2009, 09:30 PM) *
We were teammates for Thruster. I just contacted Chriss recently and he's doing well. He's a college professor in NJ. He's a great guy and we had a lot of fun back then.

Here's our team photo from 1983.

Good to hear he did well always liked him.How about Franco
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.