Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Your Favorite Handlebars BITD
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
Jsea73
Handlebars, hey you had to admit, you needed to have the right bars on your bike or it didn't feel right. some bars you loved and some you hated,
What were you Favorite set to have on your ride,,

For Me it was and Still is the Powerlite powerbend pro bars, I had a set of A'me tri grips on mine with some jumbo donuts, I loved em,

Lets here it was it Star Bars, CW's, GT, Robinson, Hutch, what,
Jason Chang
I would say the first GT pro bars about mid 80's. I think they were wider and more flat. Totaly changed how I thought bars should be. Before that I liked Pro V bars, till I tried the GT's.

Changstar
omartcruisers
PowerLites were it once I got used to them, GT's were great too. My absolute favorite were a pair of early Kastan bars, non stamped, that had more of a PowerLite curve than a downward curve like the later Kastanbars. Unfortunately, they were stolen with my Redline. to_take_umbrage.gif
alano
Kuwahara Laser Bars. Best bars we could get in our corner of the world back in the day. The only thing, IMHO that could best them now are S&M Slams
Gary Mason WWR
JMC DY - still race with them every weekend .
monkeybiscuits
gotta be Early GT Pro Bars for me

MichBMX
GT handlebars chnageds everything when they were introduced. Think how many of us still had redline v-bars, aluminum handle bars ( race inc) etc. When I first saw them I was blown away. One set of bars I hated were my Galindo bars. That plastic cross bar didnt do jack. Those things were so flexible that they were down right scary.
COASTY
I used early GT Pros, JMC DY bars and Redline Proline V bars. All were good but the GT's won the day. I still have those GT bars on my Supergoose and the V-Bars on my Redline. Just wish I had the DY's too.
Bob Poffinbarger
DY bars were the schizznit bitd. had those on my DY toward the end. had a set of Galindo's on my Mongoose's. my friend's dad made me a cross bar out
of aluminum to keep the flex down. I thought they were cool bitd.
protrax
Skyway Ta race bars suited me well along with powerlite pro bars
msalyers
CW
Brian B
Profile were best ones followed by GT for me.
protour77
I always liked the Powerlites with the bend on the ends
cheez
Redline micro V
bmxr68
For me it was the Race Inc Bars
3rd gear
HUTCH PRO AND CRUISER ALSO FIRST GEN TNT BARS, FELT LIKE HUTCH BUT THEY WERE A LITTLE MORE STOUT.
Criscobath
CW then Powerbends.
kmart
Mongoose Pro Class for awhile then GT Pro bars after that
dUrTwErXdEsIgNs
QUOTE (Jsea73 @ Sep 25 2008, 02:04 AM) *
Handlebars, hey you had to admit, you needed to have the right bars on your bike or it didn't feel right. some bars you loved and some you hated,
What were you Favorite set to have on your ride,,

For Me it was and Still is the Powerlite powerbend pro bars, I had a set of A'me tri grips on mine with some jumbo donuts, I loved em,

Lets here it was it Star Bars, CW's, GT, Robinson, Hutch, what,

I also had powerlite powerbends, with A'me grips, and donuts, lmao....and they were my favorite.
I had less shock on the wrists/forearms and elbows with those bars than any other bars I used. And, I loved the comfort level while cornering.
trickdaddy
I always liked Powerbends (still use them 90 percent of the time).

Funny thing though, as a kid I never cared for CW's (for asthetic reasons alone, I never ran them), but now love them on the right build.
gaijin
Redline Forklifters for years, GHP Star Bars, but for me it's been all Slams all the time since 88.
bbarress
Early Hutch Pro...they were a bit wider than most (2 inches or so). I sold mine to a friend and tried a bunch of other brands and finally bought them back for 3 times what I sold them for....used them for the rest of my career.
Mike'Ultimate Sin of Bmx'Crehan
For me it was CW!!
Jeremy K.
Redline V Bars. Funny thing is when I started riding again the back sweep seemed bizarre. I swapped them out for some slams. Those are great!

jk
kaneohe808
For me it was the Redline V Bars because they were wide. You had to cut them to your specs.
B. Apold
Hutch pro bars. They had that NO sweep back feel vs GT's and the others (IMO). Now compared to todays bars they feel like snowblower bars, but back then they were the bomb.

IMO, when the "wide" handle bar craze evolved (80-81) it was the turning point of bmx. Back then it made OS bars non competitive and was just a big evolution in bmx handling. You saw the beginning of lightning fast gates, better handling, cornering, etc because we could finally get that leverage. I can't think of a better product/idea brought to bmx than handle bars (28" plus tongue.gif)
Apollo
Early Hutch Pro for racing and Redline Forklifter U bend for freestyle.
AbeNitro
GT Pro
Pistol Pete
Sixpack
Redline Forklifter for sure.
Todd E
CycleCraft Fred'z are my all time favorite racing handlebars.

Had some CW handlebars that were so tall I could stick my head through them. sarcastic.gif
gaijin
QUOTE (AbeNitro @ Sep 25 2008, 04:55 PM) *
GT Pro
Pistol Pete

Pete had his own bars?
MiniZ
CW and Powerlites for me
Gary Mason WWR
QUOTE (Todd E @ Sep 25 2008, 01:18 PM) *

Had some CW handlebars that were so tall I could stick my head through them. sarcastic.gif

Lucky you there getting ready to start making Fred'z bars again . I wish JMC would come back .
gnarlyman
70's had Redline Microline V bars, never bent and great for pre 14 year olds
1980/81 Race Inc. chromoly bars, height, sweep, stength were awesome
80's Redline Pro V-bars/Stu bars - 16 and over perfect for the average size racer
scott09house
I would ahve to say powerlite with the bend and then the dk 4 pc. bars.
Jason Chang
Aren't Slam bars just a beefed up old GT bar?

Changstar
Jsea73
QUOTE (Todd E @ Sep 25 2008, 01:18 PM) *

Not your Big Head Todd, No way!!!!!

LOL, I had some CW pros with that huge rise, Loved em till I got some Powerlite powerbend's, then I realized the Cw's Stunk, Had Hutch Bars before the Cw's liked those, and the Fred'z bars were great but I was getting out of BMX when that craze came along,
mcam
For the 20inch bike: JMC DY's. I ran them on my Kuwahara, and they were perfect. Flat and wide. Until I broke them sad.gif

For the 24inch bike: GT Santa Ana cruiser bars. Wide, low and flat. Great power position, with or without an inverted stem.

I tried Powerlite Powerbend Pro bars on my Kuwahara (after I broke the DY's) but hated them. I went to CW Pro's which I rate right behind the DY's.
MadCowboy
Powerlite
Galindos

I always hated the CW bars. We called em Crusher Bars around here. Not sure why tho.
Kurt.
DB Pro bars - 26"ish as standard. Always preferred that sort of width - just never really liked 28".
starchild
another vote for CW's.
Walter Holda
I have to say I liked my Hutch pro bars followed by GT Pro as a close second.

Rgds,

Walter "Tiger" Holda
Todd E
Joey, It was a tight fit but my XL melon went through the CW bars without the stem on 'em. laugh.gif

I think the best looking CW bars were the lower height models for cruisers and shorter riders. They didn't look like a cattle guard for a Kenworth.

I had some Hutch bars too. Nice and light but they cracked on me. Too many hillbilly flat ground landings BMX bike jumps! sarcastic.gif

GT bars were enjoyed until a misjudged slow speed lawn dart style nose dive landing off of a tight launch ramp made them have a forward sweep. Even the crossbar.

The reasons I liked the Fred'z were due to their thick tubing, stiffness and the look of them. Gary Mason, I'm looking forward to seeing the new versions.
AbeNitro
QUOTE (gaijin @ Sep 25 2008, 02:42 PM) *
Pete had his own bars?

Yes, When Pistol Pete was factory CW they created a lower rise version of the CW pro bar. They Pete bars were about 1.5 inches lower, very trick.
rydah
CW standard bars were and still are my favs, powerlites were also sweet. how come nobody on here rates Robinson pro bars, those were and still are one of thes sweetest bars to have on a bike.
johnnieboy
BITD when I was a teenager I had Redline V bars that were dangerously small - they felt about 6 inches wide, swopped those for DB Pro's which were comfortable and looked pretty good - nice soft sweeps. Finally graduated to CW Pro's which I loved. Now I think they just look weird. Nice 'n' strong though.

What I liked but didn't ever have were early GT Pro bars, looked great, JMC DY, Race Inc. chromoly and SE Powerwings. Funny thing was I rarely saw SE Powerwings at the UK races.

In '98 I had Hoffman Jump bars and S&M Dive bars on different bikes. The Hoffmans felt perfect, the S&M's felt a bit too straight on the sweeps - reminded me of early 80's Torker Pro bars.
RIDE A BIKE
REDLINE FS AND REDLINE RACE.................................. drinks.gif
Capt. Nemo
Bob Haro Vector Bars.

I had SO much trouble with my bars slipping BITD, these were the perfect solution.
Fred Garvin
Hands down - Original GT Pro bars with broomsticks.
Gary Mason WWR
QUOTE (Todd E @ Sep 25 2008, 11:10 PM) *
Joey, It was a tight fit but my XL melon went through the CW bars without the stem on 'em. laugh.gif

I think the best looking CW bars were the lower height models for cruisers and shorter riders. They didn't look like a cattle guard for a Kenworth.

I had some Hutch bars too. Nice and light but they cracked on me. Too many hillbilly flat ground landings BMX bike jumps! sarcastic.gif

GT bars were enjoyed until a misjudged slow speed lawn dart style nose dive landing off of a tight launch ramp made them have a forward sweep. Even the crossbar.

The reasons I liked the Fred'z were due to their thick tubing, stiffness and the look of them. Gary Mason, I'm looking forward to seeing the new versions.

You will Im trying to get the CC guys to build bars first .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.