Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: please help me identify these cages
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
xxx1
as i was going through some of my old parts, i ran across these cages tucked away with an old set of hutch pedals i used to race with back in the day. i can't figure out where, when, or how i got them so i'm having a hard time identifying them...PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance wacko2.gif
AndyDiamond
ouch!!!!

I don't know - are they Trogg?
Mike Rodrigues CRIT PLATE
QUOTE (AndyDiamond @ Sep 9 2008, 03:08 AM) *
ouch!!!!

I don't know - are they Trogg?

They are not Trogg cages... Troggs were to the point if you know what I mean.

Mike
starchild
maybe Urchin cages? that's my guess.
mr coasterbrake
not Urchins.

i don't recall ever seeing any like these before.
xxx1
QUOTE (mr coasterbrake @ Sep 9 2008, 10:38 AM) *
not Urchins.

i don't recall ever seeing any like these before.

i was actually thinking at one point they were urchins...???

i started racing back in early 84 at orion park in moffett field, ca. i don't know if that little piece of info will help any, but hey, it's worth a shot.

omartcruisers
Definitely not Urchin, they had different shaped teeth and more holes. Perhaps an early Crupi cage or maybe something someone's dad made in a shop.
akcuda
Razorback?
omartcruisers
QUOTE (akcuda @ Sep 10 2008, 09:39 AM) *
Razorback?

I think you are on to something. I had forgotten about those.
3rd gear
They are NL-1's

Click to view attachment
3rd gear
Click to view attachment
xxx1
QUOTE (3rd gear @ Sep 10 2008, 12:26 PM) *

do you have any background info on the nl-1? maybe it'll jog some kind of memory.
i raced for 15 years, ABA & NBL, had many wonderful sponsors, co-sponsors, you name it. but maybe i'm forgetting one...
3rd gear
To be honest I don't, I got the pedals on a bike I bought a while back. I thought they were late 80's...as I remember seeing there ads before I stopped racing the first time...
cheez
I got it! I got it!

They are PAIN inflictors.

sorry couldn't resist
xxx1
QUOTE (cheez @ Sep 10 2008, 12:57 PM) *
I got it! I got it!

They are PAIN inflictors.

sorry couldn't resist

these cages are no joke, they practically stick to your hand when you pick em up. can you get me a closer view of the nl-1s plz?
3rd gear
I can take a pic tonight...
azbmxking
nick liberatore cages
cw
nick liberatore cages

exactly. made 91-92.
xxx1
QUOTE (cw @ Sep 10 2008, 04:58 PM) *
exactly. made 91-92.

i did know nick so it's a possibility they are prototypes but i'll have to think harder about that one.... until then, if anyone can think of any other possibility please let me know
cw
definitely NL cages.

i have a pair with the 'wave' type teeth(the only cages w/ teeth like this), super thick(not as thick as killer cages).

you can see how theyre a bit uneven.. the way the teeth are cut on either side dont end exactly the same at the end of the cage.

mine are just like yours, except square for sr mtp-100's. no etching of any kind, unlike 3rd gear's. i would guess the non etched came first.

i remember nick wearing the liberatore racing jersey in 91.
xxx1
QUOTE (cw @ Sep 10 2008, 11:46 PM) *
definitely NL cages.

i have a pair with the 'wave' type teeth(the only cages w/ teeth like this), super thick(not as thick as killer cages).

you can see how theyre a bit uneven.. the way the teeth are cut on either side dont end exactly the same at the end of the cage.

mine are just like yours, except square for sr mtp-100's. no etching of any kind, unlike 3rd gear's. i would guess the non etched came first.

i remember nick wearing the liberatore racing jersey in 91.

can you post a picture please???
cw
sorry, no camera sad.gif

3rd gear's have the NL-1 etching and look higher profile than mine, more like the height of a crupi cage.

mine are square and extremely low profile(probably more like the height of a hutch cage). if you measure the height of these cages, they are 1 1/4" from tooth tip to tip at the outside.. and actually taper down to 1 1/8".
the sr pedal has the two rows of teeth in the body. the taper is crooked against the horizontal inner rows on the pedal body and creates kind of a twisted semi concave grip.

they have the same vertical urchin like teeth on the outside edge(like 3rd gear's), and the wave like teeth on the front and back.
they look raw like yours and have the wave teeth that are curved towards the cranks just like yours.
xxx1
QUOTE (cw @ Sep 11 2008, 01:00 AM) *
sorry, no camera sad.gif

3rd gear's have the NL-1 etching and look higher profile than mine, more like the height of a crupi cage.

mine are square and extremely low profile(probably more like the height of a hutch cage). if you measure the height of these cages, they are 1 1/4" from tooth tip to tip at the outside.. and actually taper down to 1 1/8".
the sr pedal has the two rows of teeth in the body. the taper is crooked against the horizontal inner rows on the pedal body and creates kind of a twisted semi concave grip.

they have the same vertical urchin like teeth on the outside edge(like 3rd gear's), and the wave like teeth on the front and back.
they look raw like yours and have the wave teeth that are curved towards the cranks just like yours.

i just measured mine and the heights (tooth to tip, ect) are the same! i'm going to go with the NL-1 and that's my final answer, unless someone can prove otherwise. thank you all for your help!!!!

btw, maybe ya'll remember me...the name's cindy davis smile.gif
cw
cindy davis??

5 consecutive ABA cups cindy davis?!!

azbmxking
cindy davis should sooooooo race again
cw
LOOPY!!

thats a lot of aba titles smile.gif

so awesome youre posting!

i bet theres plenty of questions around here about your past sponsors sun_bespectacled.gif
3rd gear
this cindy davis???

Click to view attachment
Jetmugg
There was a guy who raced back in the '80's in the St Louis area. His name is/was Mike Goeddy. Mike had the total California look - blonde curly hair, he even drove a Manx style dune buggy with a bike rack on the back. Driving a dune buggy in Missouri gets mighty chilly in the spring, fall, and winter. Back in the day, I believe that his dad made some cages very similar to that in his machine shop.

Can anybody else remember/confirm this?

SteveM.
xxx1
QUOTE (3rd gear @ Sep 11 2008, 06:19 AM) *
this cindy davis???

Click to view attachment

uh...that's someone else biggrin.gif

thanks for the warm welcome. . . so many, many freakin memories are rushing back!

i have a kid now, he turns 1 next month. i cant wait to get him on a bike!!!

cw
QUOTE (Jetmugg @ Sep 11 2008, 04:03 PM) *
There was a guy who raced back in the '80's in the St Louis area. His name is/was Mike Goeddy. Mike had the total California look - blonde curly hair, he even drove a Manx style dune buggy with a bike rack on the back. Driving a dune buggy in Missouri gets mighty chilly in the spring, fall, and winter. Back in the day, I believe that his dad made some cages very similar to that in his machine shop.

SteveM.

i think mike goeddy and his dad made the trog cages
cw
QUOTE (xxx1 @ Sep 11 2008, 07:42 PM) *
uh...that's someone else biggrin.gif

thanks for the warm welcome. . . so many, many freakin memories are rushing back!

i have a kid now, he turns 1 next month. i cant wait to get him on a bike!!!

you get him on a bike and he's got a lot to live up to wink.gif

glad to see another historically influential racer checking in!

sanjosebmx
QUOTE (3rd gear @ Sep 11 2008, 06:19 AM) *
this cindy davis???

Click to view attachment

That's Alise Post...
Meat
Ahh...Loopy...I remember that fromt the ABA grands!!

Colegrove
TODDNICKS
QUOTE (Jetmugg @ Sep 11 2008, 02:03 PM) *

SteveM.

I confirm the dune buggy, gt rider if memory hasnt left me
TODDNICKS
QUOTE (xxx1 @ Sep 9 2008, 12:17 AM) *
as i was going through some of my old parts, i ran across these cages tucked away with an old set of hutch pedals i used to race with back in the day. i can't figure out where, when, or how i got them so i'm having a hard time identifying them...PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance wacko2.gif

Im reviving a really old thread here ,but im going to say those were made by Profile, could be a knock-off though
Duck
QUOTE (TODDNICKS @ Feb 15 2012, 04:15 PM) *
I confirm the dune buggy, gt rider if memory hasnt left me

Dune buggy, curly hair, GT, #1, Trog cages...That was definitely Goeddy.
TODDNICKS
QUOTE (Duck @ Feb 15 2012, 07:05 PM) *
Dune buggy, curly hair, GT, #1, Trog cages...That was definitely Goeddy.

wasnt there a brother also, for some reason i keep thinking he had a twin or something named bob,i could be wrong here. i remember the pedals now,i do think profile made some like that,and they did tear the hell out of shins more than once that i saw.
Duck
QUOTE (TODDNICKS @ Feb 16 2012, 01:48 PM) *
wasnt there a brother also, for some reason i keep thinking he had a twin or something named bob,i could be wrong here. i remember the pedals now,i do think profile made some like that,and they did tear the hell out of shins more than once that i saw.

Alan Goeddy. I'm pretty sure he was a year or two older. I didn't know either, just a fan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.