Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 supercycle (ccm) cougaur mx 500
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
icyuod2
hey everybody. new to the fourm but i'm hoping you can help with alittle info (or benifit from the info i have)

i recently picked up a beater of a bike. it seems to be a direct knock off of the 1976 raleigh mx pictured in the museum. its rough but seems to be complete and all original (with the exception of the rubber)

the rims are 20x2,125 german made schurmann's
the hubs shimano (with a shimano b-type coaster)
the seat is a 1976 royal (italian made) just like the raleigh pictured in the museum. short of a couple small scratches in the rubber, the seats in pretty decent shape.
i can't find any markings on the crank other than a small impression of a girl on a ten speed.
all the bearings are loose/free. no modern bearing retaining devices.lol
i'm pretty sure the bike started life red, but its seriously faded to pink.

so any info on the bike or componants would be awesome. do you think the rims are original? its the only thing im not sure of. anybody making supercycle decals?

the serial no. is ra737609
do you think ccm purchased raleigh frames? i just wasn't sure about the "ra" and the bike being such a close ripoff of the raleigh mx. they even used the same name.

thx in advance.

agentheinz
Now THAT is a standing platform! laugh.gif

With the bolt-on seatstays, it almost looks like you could get it with shocks as an option...

Pressed and spot-welded rear dropouts, cottered cranks, banana seat...that could've been any kid's neighborhood cruiser back in '75 or so. Heck, when I was little, I'd have dug something like that! Would've beat my sky-blue Sears banana seater.

With all the plumbing, that thing has GOT to weigh!

Welcome to the site!
icyuod2
QUOTE (agentheinz @ Jul 29 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Now THAT is a standing platform! laugh.gif

With the bolt-on seatstays, it almost looks like you could get it with shocks as an option...

Pressed and spot-welded rear dropouts, cottered cranks, banana seat...that could've been any kid's neighborhood cruiser back in '75 or so. Heck, when I was little, I'd have dug something like that! Would've beat my sky-blue Sears banana seater.

With all the plumbing, that thing has GOT to weigh!

Welcome to the site!

thanks.

yup she's a tank, no doubt about it. the frame does remind me of my old silver and black motorcross (80's mx 5000 i believe-looks like a motorcycle) it was full suspension.
i have a few other vintage rides in the collection, but they'd probably break your heart.
i like to chop things up, including 1967 stingray deluxes smile.gif
Reilley1
Hardly a ripoff. CCM Made the Canadian Raleigh Version of that bike (As well as a few others.)

I have one in my garage and have seen the Taiwan model as well

You really can't put shocks on that thing as it doesn't have a swingarm but you just gave me a great idea smile.gif
icyuod2
so it is a raleigh? is that what the initials "ra" in the serial number stand for?
Reilley1
The blacksmith logo is a dead give-away for a Raleigh. All they did was just go with some of their own decals for local consumption. Nice bike for sure
Monster-Robot
That fork is super cool! If you decide to chop that one up let me know!
robert foshag
no disrespect but its ugly. different but ugly, im gonna have to post a pic of the MONO shocker i have... it has euro BB and a few other intresting features, i would probably bet its n=been hatched from the same mother as this beast. sarcastic_blum.gif sarcastic.gif sarcastic.gif
icyuod2
well as far as bmx go, your right, its dam ugly.

but for some reason it has a strange apeal. maybe its the marriage of the old banana seat style muscle bikes and the new (at the time) bmx craze.

ugly or not, i dig it. i actually purchased it to chop up and build another custom like my last.
(1980's rapido)

but i dont think i'm gonna.
Monster-Robot
QUOTE (icyuod2 @ Jul 30 2008, 08:54 AM) *
but i dont think i'm gonna.

Yeeeeaaa!!!

I think it's pretty cool looking. I'd love to ride it.

My recs...
1.) Polish it
2.) Grease it up
3.) Put some big fat Cheng Shins on it. Those little wimpy little tires don't look right for that much heavy metal!
4.) Ride wheelies all day long.
icyuod2
QUOTE (Monster-Robot @ Jul 30 2008, 08:04 AM) *
Yeeeeaaa!!!

I think it's pretty cool looking. I'd love to ride it.

My recs...
1.) Polish it
2.) Grease it up
3.) Put some big fat Cheng Shins on it. Those little wimpy little tires don't look right for that much heavy metal!
4.) Ride wheelies all day long.

you have no idea how easy it is to do wheelies on this thing. ya throw your hair back the wrong way (i have long hair) and the bikes ready to go up and over.

i think i'm gonna trade it off to a good home for a project bike i can use.
mx or bmx really isn't my thing (although i probably spent 10 years of my life on em.)
a close friend of mine put an ungripped handle bar clean through his leg on the dirt table top behind my home back in the day. no parents where around to deal with the mess and it fell on my shoulders.

something about watching a large fatty chuck of your friends leg slowly oozing out of the inside of the handle bars must have scared me for life. shortly after i took up skateboarding and built a half where the tabletop used to be.
Reilley1
What are you looking for trade? That thing is mega sweet and I would be cool to have the CCM version of that bike too

Thanks
cheez
Rick did you get the pic's I sent you?
icyuod2
QUOTE (Reilley1 @ Jul 30 2008, 09:20 AM) *
What are you looking for trade? That thing is mega sweet and I would be cool to have the CCM version of that bike too

Thanks

i like vintage banana seat type frames (1950-70) especially the muscle bikes.
i'm open to almost anything old though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.