Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS Number Plate Question
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
RandyS
From 1984 to 1990 I owned Prime, our main thing was plates. I don't remember numbers but we sold a hell of a lot of decorated plastic, it wasn't anywhere near the millions of plates but well into the six figures range. I know Mike from Crit is on these boards as well as possibly one or two others, I don't know what they did but I'd guess Crit to be at least equal, probably higher. I don't think any of us were even close to the league of Haro in the early/mid 80s, Zeronine throughout most of the 80s, or Dyno just based on it being GT. Compared to other products the amount of NOS stuff from the 80s that shows up is virtually non existent.

Where did they all go?

It used to bother me that there were more plates from some of the brands that never really caught on showing up on ebay until I realized that if nobody wanted it in the 80s it would still be sitting somewhere, if they did it wouldn't. But still out of the had to be millions of plates from the top 10 or 15(I don't actually know how many and I don't anyone thinking I'm trying to self appoint Prime to a certain place in history) it's rare that much ever shows up on ebay or even for sale here, once again.

Where did they all go?
84profile
Yeah, very good question, there was even in Australia, a very large number of plates made, companies such as Invada and Cassap. I think in the last 4 years I've probably seen 5 Invada plates on ebay..

I would have thought Haro at one time must have been producing more plates than anyone, and whilst there seem to a large number of Tech plates still around...Where are all the Series 1 Number Plates?

Zeronine Moto Control, were everywhere, try and find a NOS one now...few and far between..

Where did they all go indeed!

ps Shameless plug, let me know if you have Haro Series 1 Black Plate for my Diamond Back Senior Pro!
robert foshag
I liked the prime stuff cuz it had that bad boy image of the NOR CAL BOSS crew. me and buddies were into the whole NON corporate thing in the late 80's. with no disrespect to Haro dyno, etc..we just wanted to be different we used em mainly for that reason not mention they were cool lookin and not too may people had em...good post..
Jamie_H
Simple: the Haneys!! laugh.gif
Racer
Cool Randy, didnt know you owned Prime. We considered you a enemy along with Crit when I owned Jammer. Thats a compliment BTW. Gork certainly pimped you guys and Jive (*&^%$). Prime and Tangent the best two NorCal plates.
We only sold maybe a 1,000 or 2 Jammer plates.
BMX TEACHER
Most of them are probably in boxes in cellers waiting to be found by one of us collectors.
RandyS
QUOTE (Racer @ Jul 25 2008, 05:32 AM) *
Cool Randy, didnt know you owned Prime. We considered you a enemy along with Crit when I owned Jammer. Thats a compliment BTW. Gork certainly pimped you guys and Jive (*&^%$). Prime and Tangent the best two NorCal plates.
We only sold maybe a 1,000 or 2 Jammer plates.

Eric, I thought you were the guy who rode his bike cross country?

I think I read something you posted about Jammer a while back but couldn't remember. I was thinking about it after I posted and I think the +100,000 number is pretty accurate, don't think it made it to 200. The majority were 84-86/87, after that everything started to die as did my interest. Who was the guy that used to be at the races passing out stuff?

pquinnbmx
I have some NOS plates floating around here somewhere... not for sale, ha ha
agentheinz
I know it's mid school, but just a couple years back there were a LOT of Bomber pads AND plates, all NOS on the 'bay, like someone had a stash. Not so anymore...
RandyS
QUOTE (agentheinz @ Jul 25 2008, 08:31 PM) *
I know it's mid school, but just a couple years back there were a LOT of Bomber pads AND plates, all NOS on the 'bay, like someone had a stash. Not so anymore...

There were a ton of Bomber plates on ebay yesterday. The last time I talked to Scott he had said that demand for the airbrushed stuff had taken a dive, that was probably 98/99ish. I hope I'm remembering that right. That would explain there being a ton of it out there.
RandyS
Right now there are 23 Bomber plates on ebay with buy it nows of $15.95

They're sure to be big in demand when the 90s kids reach their mid 30s. Grab them while they're cheap.

*not my auctions

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZe-z_auctions
CRIT PLATE
QUOTE (agentheinz @ Jul 25 2008, 04:31 PM) *

For you guys who did not know...

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index....wtopic=27004504

Mike
calvinw
QUOTE (84profile @ Jul 24 2008, 07:12 PM) *
Yeah, very good question, there was even in Australia, a very large number of plates made, companies such as Invada and Cassap. I think in the last 4 years I've probably seen 5 Invada plates on ebay..

I would have thought Haro at one time must have been producing more plates than anyone, and whilst there seem to a large number of Tech plates still around...Where are all the Series 1 Number Plates?

Zeronine Moto Control, were everywhere, try and find a NOS one now...few and far between..

ps Shameless plug, let me know if you have Haro Series 1 Black Plate for my Diamond Back Senior Pro!

They have a bad habit of cracking at the top! I gotta' cracked one
Racer
Randy I did ride my BMX bike across America. Then I joined the Navy, then started Jammer then Hyper and others. I was at the races alot as was my partner Paul. We had tons of NorCal guys running the plate from the Lucas Brothers to Cecil and Terry. In fact I have a picture from Roseville with half the gate of A pros running our plate.

Between me and Paul we still have at least one of every plate. Are you lucky enough to hang on to some Prime Plates also?
Any chance you'll do a retro run?
Duck
QUOTE (84profile @ Jul 24 2008, 07:12 PM) *

Invada was Australian? Is that the plate with the clip in numbers? I used to have a black one. Thought it was really cool looking but the numbers started falling out all of the time...

duck
agentheinz
OMG...that's the same seller that had them a couple years ago...I might snag a couple...
84profile
QUOTE (Duck @ Jul 27 2008, 07:15 PM) *
Invada was Australian? Is that the plate with the clip in numbers? I used to have a black one. Thought it was really cool looking but the numbers started falling out all of the time...

duck

Yes. Darren May (well know Australian Racer) and his Dad (Chuck) started Invada....They had great products and was very popular BITD in Australia
RandyS
QUOTE (Racer @ Jul 27 2008, 06:50 PM) *
Randy I did ride my BMX bike across America. Then I joined the Navy, then started Jammer then Hyper and others. I was at the races alot as was my partner Paul. We had tons of NorCal guys running the plate from the Lucas Brothers to Cecil and Terry. In fact I have a picture from Roseville with half the gate of A pros running our plate.

Between me and Paul we still have at least one of every plate. Are you lucky enough to hang on to some Prime Plates also?
Any chance you'll do a retro run?

I have 20-30, not every model, mostly seconds. We did the ABA national plates once or twice, I don't have any of those, I wish I did.

Retro run? lol, I think Seattle has made sure I won't.

kustombuilder
Trying to figure out what my Invada plate is worth?anybody?

TONE
$3.00

QUOTE (kustombuilder @ Feb 15 2012, 08:09 AM) *
Trying to figure out what my Invada plate is worth?anybody?

Jason F.
QUOTE (Walter @ Feb 15 2012, 07:08 AM) *
$3.00

Thats 2008 numbers....$1 tops. btw that is one UGLY plate.... tongue.gif Its priceless to the right person, I honestly wouldnt pay more than a few bucks for it so I could flip it, put it on ebay with a b.i.n. of $200 if it sells in a few minutes you know it was too low, if it sits then open it up to make offers and see what you get.
DG75G
Great plates... I have a couple form 1983 -1984... Used of course! They've been hanging up in my dad's shop for 20+ years... Both cracked at the wrap around/snap... DG75
Dr.Frankenripper
Trashbins.

Sadly several times over the yrs raping and pillaging old shops, dozens of times over I heard how they recently dumped shopping carts full of old pads and plates. And I always have to stop them from going any further on what was discarded, as it gets me nauseous thinking about it.

Seems allot of those bulky space taking soft goods were always the ones to go first.
Jason F.
QUOTE (Dr.Frankenripper @ Feb 18 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Trashbins.

Sadly several times over the yrs raping and pillaging old shops, dozens of times over I heard how they recently dumped shopping carts full of old pads and plates. And I always have to stop them from going any further on what was discarded, as it gets me nauseous thinking about it.

Seems allot of those bulky space taking soft goods were always the ones to go first.

I could tell you a story about my boss that would honestly make you cry. mellow.gif
TONE
Do a google search for "Calhoun Tubbs"

That guy will tell you a story.
race_inc
Wrote a song about. Like ta hear it, here it goes!
cheez
Is it a country tune? If it is it has to have somethin about prison, mama, pick-up trucks, trains and drinkin out of red solo cups

BTW beer (at least till ya got a good buzz on) sucks outta plastic cups wink.gif
LeroyRochester
I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison...

Eric, you sold me my 84 GT pro frame and fork that really got me back on this crazy-train a couple years ago. I would love to hear the story about biking across the country some time!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.