Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rodz Repair- Rod the man!
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
spistols
Hey, I know Rod has been through some serious health issues, and has had a frame of mine for a long while. But as we all stated in the past, when you take a step back and evaluate life, our health is far more important than anything else.

But I got a call from Rod saying my frame was done. It was an'80 Chrome Schwinn Sting, that had a cracked chainstay, and due to Schwinn applying a full warranty on it, they hacked one lower dropout off- OUCH!!! This frame was left for dead.

Well, when I dropped off the frame, I told Rod, to go ahead and do what he has to do, since I excpected the frame to be too far gone with the repairs to keep the great Chrome finish. My intent was to have either a factory black or blue finish applied.

Upon picking up, I was totally blown away, as the repair can easily be buffed out to match the rest of the chrome. This expert repair just saved me a new minty finish bill.

My only regret is not being able to figure out the resizing guidelines on this new format, as I would love to post pictures to show everyone.

But for all out there, Rod looks great, and is back in business. Again, have faith and he will pull through with everything.

This makes the second excellent job he has done for me on a Sting frame!
TONE
[thats great news. rod is a great guy to have in this hobby. wish him all the best.

try to post those pixs!!!!!

quote name='spistols' date='Jul 20 2008, 01:42 PM' post='574017']
Hey, I know Rod has been through some serious health issues, and has had a frame of mine for a long while. But as we all stated in the past, when you take a step back and evaluate life, our health is far more important than anything else.

But I got a call from Rod saying my frame was done. It was an'80 Chrome Schwinn Sting, that had a cracked chainstay, and due to Schwinn applying a full warranty on it, they hacked one lower dropout off- OUCH!!! This frame was left for dead.

Well, when I dropped off the frame, I told Rod, to go ahead and do what he has to do, since I excpected the frame to be too far gone with the repairs to keep the great Chrome finish. My intent was to have either a factory black or blue finish applied.

Upon picking up, I was totally blown away, as the repair can easily be buffed out to match the rest of the chrome. This expert repair just saved me a new minty finish bill.

My only regret is not being able to figure out the resizing guidelines on this new format, as I would love to post pictures to show everyone.

But for all out there, Rod looks great, and is back in business. Again, have faith and he will pull through with everything.

This makes the second excellent job he has done for me on a Sting frame!
[/quote]
spistols
I will try and figure this out, and attempt to post before and after pics.

crowe-t
Jim,

Here are the before and after pictures of your '80 Chrome Schwinn Sting!

spistols
Thanks Crowe-T, I did not realize I could use Photobucket with this new format. (Also, I am originally from Queens, but now am living the good life in the South, so double thanks from the College Point Boys!).

The first photo shows clearly the hacked off right side bottom dropout. It is hard to see the right side cracked chain stay, near the dropout.

The other photos show the repaired spot, and the whole frame. I cannot wait to get it polished out and built up. This frame was purchased from an old school racer, that actually raced it in Michigan, and sold some old Schwinn stuff to fund his families' current racing needs.

Once again, thanks Rod for the great repair. It was worth the wait, but more importantly you are healthy.

QUOTE (crowe-t @ Jul 22 2008, 03:21 AM) *
Jim,

Here are the before and after pictures of your '80 Chrome Schwinn Sting!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.