Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When is the last time you saw one of these?
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
humidity saC
I just got this today. I still can't believe I found one, let alone now own one.

Have any of you ever ridden one of these Browning 2 speeds and/or ever installed one before? I know I still need to get a chain tensioner, down tube cable stops and a shifter.

There's a thread on here from about a year ago with the PDF's of the manuals. 22 pages of diagrams! Got those. Now, what bike to put this on?

DAN
Somebody was Ebaying a few of those. I kept seeing them come up so I grabbed one. I remembered them on mountain bikes but had never seen one on a BMX bike back in the day. It was so weird I figured it belonged in the collection! I think Marc Tardiff built a DY with the set up on it.
STRIKE
Woah, still in the box with the patch and everything. Nice find man!
King of Pipeline
Man, I don't even know what that thing is?
Ted Carl
I love mechanical coolios!

Electronics is slick, but mechanizidry is way cooler!

I've been engineering something way cooler than that in my noodle for years now. But its like a house of cards, every time my brain gets close to the solution, the wind picks up, and I have to start over with a new plan. lol. ...So his is still way better! lol.

I don't need that thing, but I want it. I also want a NOS kickback shifter hub too!

Love it!

Nice score!
donvader
Very cool find!! That would be cool to try once it's hooked up and working. Just to see how it feels. I found this in an '85 magazine.

JohnnyJohnson OMAS DirtSlinger
My friend who doesn't surf the BMX sites on the web
has one for sale.
Anyone interested, private message me.

SAF
Yeah, those are cool. Someone had several of those new in a box last year. I thought about buying one, but then I asked myself, "what the heck for?" Still, a cool piece.
Jradical
New in box... nice! I would think some gun collectors would also have these if they knew about it, 2X collectable!

My wife raced w/ the Browning 2sp bitd, it was the mechanical version; she used a brake lever for the shifter: hold it in for the low gear, and release it for the big ring. The engagment was always solid, no delay during the shift. Rarely would she down shift during a race, usually she would start in the small ring and let it shift during the 2nd pedal out of the gate. I did not realise that the tensioner did not come w/ the kit, hers looked like a small road bike derailleur. We still have one system & some extra sprockets in the garage.
Lonewolf
I thought about it, but seeing as Harry Leary and Darrel Young, and that other kid who could really jump his [please review the site FAQs] off who was a racer, using them, nobody really set the world on fire with them, so I left them alone on Ebay. Very cool to have though and I especially like the quality looking finish of the one in the box verses the advertisement.
John De Bruin
QUOTE (DAN @ Jul 19 2008, 05:19 AM) *
I think Marc Tardiff built a DY with the set up on it.

Not only did Marc build it, he was the original owner and had his original sales receipts. I am now the proud owner of this gem.

Yes, the Browning shifts like a dream. It literally makes no noise. You only feel the new gear in your legs. I believe the Browning shifter is one of the most incredible pieces of BMX engineering ever made, and also one of the most under-rated and under-valued pieces of 1980's BMX memorabilia there is. You really have to ride one to fully appreciate it.

humidity saC
John, I competely agree with you about the excellent engineering and how underated this system was/is.

The amazing part of it is that it is engineered to shift from one ring to the other WITHOUT the chain ever disengaging from the first chainring. There is no clunk or hesitation that you get like you do on a traditional front derailleur system. Just perfect shifting from a 38 to a 44. No issues whatsoever with the transfer of torque. Kind of makes me wonder why this was never adapted to a road bike or mtn bike application - actually, correct myself - I saw that Browning did make a system for those applications, but obviously it never caught on. I wonder why? They really do work!!!

BTW, your DY is absolutely stunning John!
DAN
The Browning system for mountain bikes was electric. So you had the extra weight of batteries and not a ton of advantage over conventional shifting systems. It sure was trick though! The owner of my local high end MTB shop had that set up on an American. I'd sure like to have a replica of that bike.
John De Bruin
Does anyone know what these retailed for back in 84/85? My guess is fairly expensive, maybe a couple hundred bucks.
cornfed
QUOTE (John De Bruin @ Jul 19 2008, 06:37 PM) *
Does anyone know what these retailed for back in 84/85? My guess is fairly expensive, maybe a couple hundred bucks.

I had one. It retailed right around $200.
SeanC73
Shimano made the bolt-on tensioner for these. Part# RD-MX 50. They dont turn up very often but usually sell cheaply because nobody knows what they are.
oubmx2
Chris Backus raced with those for 2 years. I always wanted to try them but never had the chance.,Im sure they took time to get used to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.