Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: National Pro Build.
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
COASTY
I have been asked to post these pics of a mates build. It's my pleasure.
This bike is amazing and is a credit to Matt. The rims and pedals are polished, not chromed.
Love it.

Kurt.
Hands down the best National Pro I have ever seen. Unbelievable Matt - you've exceeded your own high standards.

That's a seriously cool industrial grade stand too...
ACGTO
Very nice build mate. Seen it in person and it's awesome. Post a parts list too.
HurricaneHenry
Super clean & classy! Are those original cranks and what type of hubs are those? Great build!
Kurt.
What Bars too Matt?
JMCGT
cranks are 1st gen box style and the hubs are 1970,s sunshine...dont see many around..
Thanks Kurt, i bought that stand in Tassie..they are PRO stands..really nice as they dont rest on the frame at all... and can be mounted on the front or rear..good for windy days and holding the bike /plate in the right direction.

Hutch bars /stem...
pk ripped
Awesome, more pics please!
84profile
Matt, that is so sweet...I'm also lucky enough to have seen it in person!! Sweeeeet!
mcam
QUOTE (JMCGT @ Jul 11 2008, 10:28 PM) *
cranks are 1st gen box style and the hubs are 1970,s sunshine...dont see many around..
Thanks Kurt, i bought that stand in Tassie..they are PRO stands..really nice as they dont rest on the frame at all... and can be mounted on the front or rear..good for windy days and holding the bike /plate in the right direction.

Hutch bars /stem...

First gen box style Profiles? Wow!
COASTY
QUOTE (mcam @ Jul 12 2008, 12:42 PM) *
First gen box style ? Wow!

Fixed it for ya wink.gif
old-skull
Dang!!!!!!!!! That bike is unbeliveable.

Old-skull
mcam
QUOTE (COASTY @ Jul 12 2008, 05:23 AM) *
Fixed it for ya wink.gif

Ah, ok. So they are repro cranks?
JMCGT
no, they are not repo cranks..very original and tough!
Kurt.
You like your Campag hubs Matt.
JMCGT
yes i have them on my patterson , high flange/ phase one and hutch, which are sheriff pista,s...these are sunshines...very early...i havn,t seen any earlier...
As much as i love bullseye hubs,its always nice to have something rare or different..
Campagnolo have a great name in high end race components...
there headsets are a must for the VDC..
jcbel
Awesome looking bike, great choice of parts!
mcam
QUOTE (JMCGT @ Jul 12 2008, 11:00 AM) *
no, they are not repo cranks..very original and tough!

So, what are you trying to say? These are original eighties cranks, or they are new cranks? I'm trying to work out what cranks they are. Coasty correct my post, so they aren't Profiles, so what brand of cranks are they?
Keep_It_Warm
Yes, I'm curious too (I asked on another site and got no reply). If they are JC cranks, I'm not going to blast you for it, we just wanted to know.
JMCGT
blast away, I,m happy with the way the bike turned out..smile.gif
the cranks are a bit of new and a bit of old, not quite correct on parts either with freestyle stem and bars..
but then again,its mine..and it a piece of art for me..

proline2
QUOTE (JMCGT @ Jul 13 2008, 11:28 AM) *
blast away, I,m happy with the way the bike turned out..smile.gif
the cranks are a bit of new and a bit of old, not quite correct on parts either with freestyle stem and bars..
but then again,its mine..and it a piece of art for me..

that answer is as perfect as your bike, Matt.
JMCGT
Thanks Allen..
i think us Aussies have had our fun.
They are STROKER cranks made by JC...I added the bolt kit and original spindle,Thanks Gary they look bloody awesome...Definately not my last set of these..

Thanks mcam...talk about trying to keep it on the low down..LOL smile.gif
Kurt.
LOL Matt - It looked like Mike had been taking DAN's advice and taking angry pills or something!!!

I really like the look of those Johnny Chopper cranks.
jerry a hutcher
Nice natty...one of the best!
mcam
QUOTE (JMCGT @ Jul 13 2008, 07:32 AM) *
Thanks Allen..
i think us Aussies have had our fun.
They are STROKER cranks made by JC...I added the bolt kit and original spindle,Thanks Gary they look bloody awesome...Definately not my last set of these..

Thanks mcam...talk about trying to keep it on the low down..LOL smile.gif

Try and keep it on the low down? You post a photo of your bike on a website? And try and keep it "low down"?

My query about your cranks was an honest one, as I had no idea what they were. The continual string of cryptic answers didn't make it any clearer. Fun? Yeah..right..
JMCGT
i told you what they were from the start...1st gen box style..
you were jumping around all over the place.. cryptic nothing ..
have a beer mate!
mcam
QUOTE (JMCGT @ Jul 13 2008, 09:42 AM) *
i told you what they were from the start...1st gen box style..
you were jumping around all over the place.. cryptic nothing ..
have a beer mate!

Now, now... You said they were 1st gen box style.... what? You never said what brand they were, and I was curious. Looking at them, they looked like 1st gen box Profiles, and it wouldn't the first time something ultra rare has popped up in a build. That is why I asked. Just like Keep It Warm asked. He was curious too.

Just saying 1st gen box style, is like saying "alloy three piece" when you have early eighties Campy BMX cranks on your bike. And yes, there were a string of "cryptic answers".

I dont need beer.
JMCGT
I do...Sunday night..School holidays...5 kids..
i didnt want to blab things out without thinking of JC...bashing someone with writting is weak as [I tried to curse] so wanted to make sure i wasn,t talking out of skool...
i,m sure you know how many purists there are out there, and to be honest there arnt too many crank sets i dont have and these are on top of my list for looks..wasnt trying to be cryptic, i was being patient..waiting for an email... i havn,t been part of your circle long so wanted to make sure..
and.... there,s nothing wrong with beer!!! LOL
Keep_It_Warm
Thanks for answering the question about the cranks JMCGT.

Like Mike (mcam) said, it's SO RARE to see 1st gen Profile cranks that when I saw your bike, I had to ask. To my knowledge, there are only about 7-12 sets known in collector hands so in my mind, it seemed like a must-ask question.

Never bashed you and never will. Thank you for answering.
mcam
As Keep_It_Warm correctly pointed out, that was the reason for my asking. I certainly wasn't bashing.

Well, for me, beer doesn't work. It gives me bad reflux sad.gif. I had to give it up a long time ago.
JMCGT
yeh all good...
there are alot more sets of hutch cranks than we realise...i know a couple of guys that will never post what they have..no offence to some guys, but i see this only nos bike,part...and there is really alot of gear still sitting in guys garages / cupboards...even super rare stuff in bike shops...
the last month i got a nos cook uni clamp stem, 1st gen cook bars...and other nos gear..gotta love this hobbie

and the reflux,...me too ..thats why i take pariot tablets every day...cant kick the drink.
Kurt.
Phew, that's better. For a minute there we were acting like our American brothers! All is peaceful again in the South Pacific. Maaates!
JMCGT
Hey Kurt...you one of those blokes that hides behind the bar, until everything settles..
Keep_It_Warm
QUOTE (JMCGT @ Jul 13 2008, 06:44 AM) *
there are alot more sets of hutch cranks than we realise

Do you plan to pick some up and swap those out?
Kurt.
QUOTE (JMCGT @ Jul 13 2008, 09:17 PM) *
Hey Kurt...you one of those blokes that hides behind the bar, until everything settles..

Oh yeah - you wanna start something? Bloody Banana Benders!
Kurt.
With your fancy shiny cranks!
JMCGT
No, dont like my chances..
i will just use JC,s...stroker cranks..
do you want some cranks like in my Nat pro or do you mean original box style cranks
JMCGT
might pickup a COOK tomorrow....see you at the finshline..LOL
HurricaneHenry
I had a set of Profiles and traded them out for some Titron's. Love my pedals but wish I would have kept the cranks too. Friggin rare birds. That's why I got excited when I saw your build and had to ask. I will definitely be picking up a set or two of those Strokers, they look great!

npsarider
what is jc web site
Kurt.
http://www.johnnychopper.com/

Beautiful workmanship.
JMCGT
Thanks Kurt..
nice crank..titrons are also very nice..something i will get one day..
FACTORYHUFFY
So who make these cranks? I really like them!!! very nice bike you have there!! they say JC cranks. Im probably sounding dumb here but who/what is JC?? Job well done!!
HurricaneHenry
QUOTE (Kurt. @ Jul 13 2008, 08:26 PM) *
http://www.johnnychopper.com/

Beautiful workmanship.

subwax
I dont want to start a slagging match about repro's but this seems a good place to make my point:

I spoke to someone who is a fairly big figure in the this hobby of ours regarding repro'ing a set of VDC freestyle forks, just for me. He made a very interesting point - he said that as soon as you use one repro part, everyone will naturally assume, rightly or wrongly, that everything that any rare pieces that you have got is repro. It was an interesting point, and one I thought so valid that I decided to cancel my fork repro.

This post also helped me to understand how easy it is to sell repro parts as originals. In JMCGT's first post, the fact that the cranks were fakes was not make explicitely clear. Now I know he wasnt trying to sell anything, but imagine if another random seller used similar narrative. A lot of people would be bidding on the 1st gen cranks, including me. Those less scrupulous sellers could make a killing.

Its just my slant on the repro thing, and not a criticism of anyone else on here. Its just food for thought.
JMCGT
good point Neal,
but in no way did i ever state that these were HUTCH cranks....
i didnt make it clear that these were fakes, because they are not...i just didnt want to throw JC,c name out there before understanding the negatives they might come out..
but i understand where you are coming from...

on the other hand, you have had 5 D ,youngs repaired...if you ever sold them..you are honest collector, but the guy that sells them after you..may not state what works have been done...
i noticed you have completely new dropouts on one of your frames in the forums...in my eyes, that is nearly repo??...
as for the repo stuff, it is probably out there, and i am sure we have it and dont even know!!...
subwax
I dont think you can compare repro with repair, in fairness. Also bear in mind that even though it has been repaired, it is still a DY, whereas those cranks are not, and have never been original. There is a big difference.
Kurt.
Hey Subby,

I though your point above was that Repro/Retro is an issue of disclosure if being sold. Matt's not pushing his JC Retro cranks as OG.

It's all about disclosure - and that's a similar issue for a prospective purchaser as repaired frames. Each will have a reduced value to a collector.

Although it's not my thing for builds, so long as people are up front and not selling retro/repro as original, I'm OK with it.

If people are assuming from one repro/retro item that everything is a knockoff, then, frankly, they are paranoid. I collect antique furniture as well as some 3rd Reich stuff - both markets are full of out and out ripoffs - and in the case of antiques have been for hundreds of years.

Generally though, no matter how good the attempt, you can tell the real thing from the fake. Repairs on the other hand can often be very hard to detect. Caveat Emptor.
JMCGT
hey sub,
these cranks are original and not for a moment did i say different...they are strokers...1st gen box..
and what Kurt is saying was my point to you..selling something that is not original..you were pushing this point across to me...and i am saying that you have cut off the rear dropouts and made new ones to fit, and restamped !!!...i would want to know what i was buying and the guys thats sells after you may not disclose this...( not that you will ever need to sell)...just my point mate..
and as for your vdc forks...if i was you..i would reorder them,finish your bike..and then when you are able to find the originals..use the repo,s as a bog roll holder..
How much of the DY do you replace before its not..just a harmless question...dont get me wrong, i would have done the same thing..
i,m a collector!!! its what i do..
JMCGT
If i was selling these as hutch cranks, then i should be burned....
but i made no mention of hutch or profile....
there are alot of guys that wont touch our bikes because they have been RE painted- powdered or repaired..
no OG anymore....and if you disclose otherwise, its not much different than a repo part..
subwax
There is clearly a difference betweren repro and repaired, in my opinion. You mention that "there are alot of guys that wont touch our bikes because they have been RE painted- powdered or repaired", but there does repro fit in there? In my opinion, there is a world apart from making a small repair on a frame, to using a completely repro part. I do, however, agree that the price of a part is diminished as a result of a repair, and that all repairs MUST be made perfectly clear to any prospective buyer.

Kurt - yes, I can see how people woulds look at a collection with repro parts and make the assumption that there are more repro that might be the case. Its not paranoia - its human nature.

I also think that you should have mentioned that the cranks were knock offs from the get go. You seem to want to use my DY's as a comparison, even though there isnt one, but even so - not once did I omit to mention that the frames were repaired - christ, I even submitted photographic evidence of the repair.

Dont get me wrong - I dont want to get all Nazi like certain members on another site - but there is a big difference between repair and repro. No question. Regardless of the repair, my frames all started out being DY frames, and thats what they are now.

And no, I wont be repro'ing those forks. Patience is a virtue, apparently.

Merda taurorum animas conturbit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.