Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cash Matthews . Racer ? Hall of fame ?
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
bronco134x
I am not tryin to bash anyone but i thought the hall of fame was for racers and industry people who have made in inpression on bmx .As far as i know cash never won any big races or worked in the industry . Correct me if im wrong but i would really like to know what the guide loned are for inducting somebody into the hall of fame. Iam not singling out cash there are a few peopie who in that raise an ieyebrow to me . Dennis Dain ? Never won a AA main and quit racing 28 years ago . Like i said im not tryin to hurt anybodys feelings and im not a hater because im not in there i just want to know. Dennis is a great guy and have known him since western sports arama and hollyfield days and when worked at Ralphs Bike shop. Just a little confused . Rod Bronco Beckering . SE Racer for life . I hope didnt offend anyone because that was not my intentions.
PEP
Tell ya what....

if your intention was not to offend anyone, posting what you did on an open message board is frankly the wrong move. You're gonna [I tried to curse] someone off.

so, my recommendation is to contact Cash through the site & ask him what he's done for the sport. He's done plenty.

interesting theory Rod. Hope you get your answer
mrh
Dude are you CRAZY....

Cash invented tires with Knobbies and there wasn't AA pro back then

Geez... P..I..ss Me off angry.gif
JohnnyJohnson OMAS DirtSlinger
Cash Matthews (along with his brother Carey Matthews, and Matt Raymer)
started BMX in Oklahoma in the early to mid 70's.

There's more...........
Sodbuster
I can think of three things off the top o my head. I don't know if it meets the criteria but here it is. mellow.gif

1. factory Webco team rider.

2. factory Mongoose team rider.

3. and much like the old Black Oak Arkansas song "when electricity came to Arkansas", Cash brought BMX to Oklahoma!!
which he did by establishing Oklahoma's first BMX track. which was later sanctioned by Ernie Alixander as an NBA track. happy.gif

I think thats fairly close to it. How'd I do Cash?? laugh.gif
Reilley1
Damn Rod, guns-a-blazing once again huh?

Dennis and Ruiz were one the best hack team back in the early days of BMX. You go way back, you remember how hacks used to attract the non-BMX crowd. He was also an original member of PRO and although this it doesn't make it an actual qualifying issue for HOF, he had a frame named after him. So someone thought he was an accomplished racer. He also rode for Redline for many many years and helped out with with the Orange County scene. You also know that the way people are picked has changed from former racers and industry people to a popular vote.

Some people might not agree with this, but the flip side is that the same people have long memories and have shut off many a good HOF candidate because of past personal reasons.
Rick Twomey being a prime example. He deserved to be in the HOF for years and finally made it the year before

Racing qualifications alone do not make a HOF person (Thank Goodness) A lot of well deserved HOF guys also never won a single AA Pro Main.

As far as Cash, same thing; the whole OK (and nearby scene) would have not gone the way it went without Cash and Matt. Even in So-California where the scene was strong Cash inspired me back in the early 70s to push my local Parks and Recs for a track as I am sure he inspired many other kids. That in itself gets him a nod in the HOF. It's not about all about trophies, it's about their overall impact on the early stages of the sport

And in early show of candidate recognition, let's make sure John Palfreyman and Dougie Takahashi get the nod this year. They too, never won an AA moto, but richly deserve to be in the HOF

Rod, you are good people, and while I might not agree with what you said, I highly respect your opinion. My little boy still has that big-o Nationals trophy you gave me a little while back and I been trying to catch up with you to get him an autographed picture. Hopefully we'll get a chance to talk at Gonzo's event in August
BenOr
HOF Ballots used to be mailed out to a group of people. I'm unclear how the mailing list was compiled, but it was and Shannon put me on it (to vote) around 10 years ago. I'm just a smuck who was unsuccessful at convincing Scot that I should replace the "Stu" slot when he went to Redline. So essentially it was a opinion poll voted on by "slow old has-Ben's", industry types, homeless people and friends of the ABA.

A few years back it went to online voting. It is essentially a popularity contest. I think the people who add to the community (stories, pictures, etc) rise up the list and get votes. Dennis is on the boards more than Rodman in his heyday.

What comes to mind regarding Cash and Dennis, who I do not always agree with, but respect 110%, is that they have never posted a POS thread like you just did. I guess, being a nice guy, doing something for the sport (Cash still does) might get you there. It's not only about #1 plates, but rather about helping to build the sport and its legacy.

Now, you could have gone down that path, but you didnít. You did (regardless of the passive aggressive comments) single them out and start a "Lundesque" thread. You could have openly posted "What are the guidelines for being inducted?"

Maybe next year Cowboy...
J A Miller
WOW!
John Sandberg
For what it's worth, I've never met Cash or Dennis.

But from what I've read from their postings here over the past few years...makes me believe they're both kind, genuine, thoughtful, humble and good people. Truly, I've many times wished I could meet both of them.

If the HOF is a popularity contest, those two get my vote. The same can't be said about all the "heroes" I had back in the day.
Guest200901
Racer
Hall of Fame for sure.

Not only did they start a track, that track went on to host a Summer Tour stop and Nationals. They helped make Oklahoma one of the cores of BMX at its very birth.

Furthermore for alot of us riders East of California, it gave us hope, that one day we too could be factory stars if two guys from Oklahoma could do it.
Cash Matthews
Hey Rod:

There could be lots of great public conversation about the BMX Hall of Fame and how a guy like me or Dennis Dain might end up there. You are correct that I did not win any major events that might cause you to know me or respect me enough to contact me privately with your question. That being the case, I will go ahead and give you as good an answer as I can right here.

Very early in the game, perhaps before you ever raced, bmx was flourishing around the United States. I was young, perhaps 11 or 12 years old when we had this bug that later became bmx. A close friend of mine and I rode our bikes trying to emulate motorcycle racers of the day. Guys like Decoster, Robert, Mikkola and others were our idols as well as Evel Knievel. From there, we began promoting bmx races as kids. We were just a couple of kids who had the gumption to put on some of the very first organized bmx races in the country.

From there, we acquainted with the NBA (Ernie Alexander) and helped sanction some of the first tracks outside of California. (Keep in mind we were 12-14 years old while doing this stuff) Go out where you live and ask a group of young kids how they might go about starting a sport where there was none, and perhaps that will shed some light on at least a piece of the accomplishment. Through the help of some great adults, we built and ran a national caliber track long before we even had a license to drive.

In the summer of 1975, the very first NBA tour came through our home town at a track built and designed and run first by kids. John George, John Palfreyman, Bobby Encinas and others stopped first in Shawnee, Oklahoma on that very first summer tour. From there, Shawnee became a central stoping point for many years to come. Stu Thomsen mentions in his book about how big his win in Shawnee was. Scot Briethaupt mentions frequently his big win at the 1976 Shawnee National as the pivotal race in his National # 1 year. Shawnee was a big deal, and had huge, huge, long-term ramifications. Perhaps even you raced there at some point.

And just so you know, I did win my share of Nationals. I was nominated as one of the top 25 riders in the US in 1976 back before we had a national ranking system. I was undefeated that summer the first California tour came through. I toured the US with Brieithaupt in 76 in the White Whale and won more than my fair share on that tour as well. Breithaupt hit me in the head after beating JU in a moto at the DG Nationals in Florida! (very funny stuff but not for this post) But being in the BMX HOF isn't just about winning.

There isn't a single win that I can look back on with any evidence that it was as important as the early work of building a bmx track seemed to be. There isn't a single personal accolade equal to those early days when we were working on getting a "scene" going in Oklahoma. That scene still exists today, and it is called The Grand Nationals of BMX. Perhaps you've raced in Oklahoma before and wondered why all these huge races in Oklahoma? Maybe you've wondered how the Grands ended up in a podunk place like Oklahoma. Maybe some good will come out of this and your bmx history book will become more clear. And it wasn't just us . Those that assisted us in the journey laid a ground work that is still paying dividends today. The tiny state of Oklahoma is one of the few states that enjoys not just one, but TWO ABA Nationals even to this day.

Rod, the early work of bmx in Oklahoma was important then and still is now and I think that's where it all came from. If it required AA Pro wins to be in the HOF, there are so many of the other members of the HOF that we would have to get rid of. In fact, few of the current members ever won a pro race. Dennis Dain comes to my mind as a true ambassodor to our sport.
His opening line at his HOF induction ceremony was something like,"I am living proof that you don't have to be the #1 rated pro to end up in the BMX Hall of Fame". He is a good guy, was great for the sport, and is most certainly deserving of those honors bestowed upon him. Other than your comments, I've never heard a single other utterance in the negative about Dennis Dain.

I made an impression on bmx, as did many other people who were part of the scene back then. That impression, I am proud to say, lasts even to this day. You just didn't take time to notice.

Best Wishes

Cash Matthews

PS: Shannon, you did just fine! Thanks for the support! There are lots of people who don't know the full history of bmx. I am proud to be part of it since 1972! smile.gif
steve smith
You have my vote on here as to your efforts cash-.I raced the aba grands in 89 my first ever aba race and it may not even have happened if it werent for your efforts .
For the many cash's there are out there quite a few that dont make it in the hall of fame and for them id like to say thanks ,maybe at some point being a single dad and working like a fool ill get the time to either run a track or help/volunteer more in the future -right now im trying to do my part and support my local tracks racing wether i have a class or not.And not complaining about the track or lack of help.
No matter how much a volunteer does at a track or at a organazation there will always be a downer -i know nothing you said even phased cash cause he knows its b-s.
Guest200901
Cash,
I really don't think real/true oldschooler's need an explanation. I personally have been aware of you and Dennis "long" before VBMX came along.

You and Dennis are BOTH well deserved HOFer's!

1azbikeman
Go Sooners!
Reilley1
Bobby Incas

There. I fixed it for you Cash...
Profiler
There's a bmx hall of fame? I wonder how my plaque looks...
Mike'Ultimate Sin of Bmx'Crehan
Cash, You don't know me, but I respect everything that you have done for our sport of BMX. Without your love BMX the world would be a differnt place.
Gary Mason WWR
Rod theres still time get back on that quad and get in the HOF .
cheez
QUOTE (Profiler @ Jul 1 2008, 03:17 AM) *
There's a bmx hall of fame? I wonder how my plaque looks...

Looks great, it's just bellow mine....................................NOT! tongue.gif
Reilley1
They said Hall Of Fame guys, not hall of shame smile.gif
They said Hall Of Fame guys, not hall of shame

That was a good one!!
cheez
Hardy har, har tongue.gif
Ken Pliska
It used to be around August or September that we'd get the first of the threads from folks that thought they deserved to be in the HOF and couldn't figure out why "racer C" or "racer D" had already been inducted when they had not.

Now Rod, I am not saying that is the case with you, but your post sure comes across in an unflattering way. Everyone that is in the HOF truly deserves to be there, period. I don't see a slouch in the bunch.

By the way, your comments aside, I'd like to see you in there someday.

QUOTE (bronco134x @ Jun 30 2008, 06:55 PM) *
I am not tryin to bash anyone but i thought the hall of fame was for racers and industry people who have made in inpression on bmx .As far as i know cash never won any big races or worked in the industry . Correct me if im wrong but i would really like to know what the guide loned are for inducting somebody into the hall of fame. Iam not singling out cash there are a few peopie who in that raise an ieyebrow to me . Dennis Dain ? Never won a AA main and quit racing 28 years ago . Like i said im not tryin to hurt anybodys feelings and im not a hater because im not in there i just want to know. Dennis is a great guy and have known him since western sports arama and hollyfield days and when worked at Ralphs Bike shop. Just a little confused . Rod Bronco Beckering . SE Racer for life . I hope didnt offend anyone because that was not my intentions.

Racer
On this I agree with Ken. Bronco Rod Beckering got tons of press in the magazines and some great finishes. He even had a bike named after him by SE Racing. So many legends, some will not make it in. Is Ronnie Ames in? Gary Renteria, Danny Oakley, Kevin Ridling, Larry Ruiz, Sal Zeuner, Kevin Harlow, Brian Lewis, Geoff Scofield, Gary Houseman, Rocket Rich Houseman, Matt Harris, Jamie Burrows, Bryan Esser, Bryan Webb, Mark Wegener, Hal Orr, Bart McDaniels, Coy Hudson, Bobby Nybo, Terry Tenette, Those names are just off the top of my head. I went to the ABA site but couldnt find a master list of all the names to see if any of those I mentioned had made it in.
JohnnyJohnson OMAS DirtSlinger
Doug Davis raced for a 11 years.
Most of the time he was #1 but was in the top 4 of his class nationally (all but the first two years).
ABA national #1 amateur in 83'.
He's not in the Hall of Fame yet............

Sandy Finkelman was in BMX for over a decade.
Hugely successful Wheels N' Things bike shop, known nationwide.
Top talent on his bike shop team dominating local races and winning nationals.
Had big companies co-sponsor his bike shop riders and ran his logos on their sleeves. Think that was a first.
Companies like R&R (Centurion), Red Line, Torker.
Sucessful BMX mail order business.
Ran San Diego's first NBA track, The Velodrome.
Managed factory teams R&R (Centurion), Torker, and Diamond Back.
Brought national number 1 factory team titles to Torker and Diamond back multiple time.
He's not in the Hall Of Fame yet.........

Bill Curtin
I went to the ABA site but couldnt find a master list of all the names to see if any of those I mentioned had made it in.

I looked under the link titled" Hall of Fame"

http://www.ababmx.com/index.php?page=halloffame
dewabo
Just Cash's good sense of humor, friendliness, and involvement are good enough for me. This was at the ABA grands last yearat our bike show. All these guys deserve it...

Jason Chang
Hey Cash I hope to meet you in person someday. Don't be afraid if some crazy overexcited Hawaiian comes up to talk to you. I remember the write ups about you in BMX Action and always was inspired by all you have done at such a young age. Made me feel that I could do more and make a difference.

Changstar
MikeCarruth
This thread has been certified an official VintageBMX "Topic On Fire," earning bronco134x a limited edition T-Shirt for starting the thread.

Please PM with the following info:

Screen Name (I know, I have it already, but helps me keep track)
Name:
Shipping Address
City, State Zip
Size: M, L, XL, 2X, 4X, 5X, 6X (no 3X left)

Congrats!

Best,

M
Cash Matthews
Thanks, Jason!

Rory Ingano was one of my favorite riders back in the day so we share some Hawaiian BMX history! My wife and I may go to the Islands after our baby is born in September.
bronco134x
I stand corrected . I apologize to cash and dennis but as i said more than once i wasnt trying to downgrade their induction . Cash i started racing at 10 years old at hollyfield park in norwalk Ca. when they didnt even make you wear helmets on a schwinn stingray . The year was 1974. I think i have been around a for a while. I honestly was not singling you or dennis out but your names came up while talking to some other old school guys and when i wrote that you two are the names that came to mind . All i wanted to know was what the guideline was to be inducted not for everyone to get all bent about it. Greg Grubbs and i used to joke all the time that we would never make it in but he cruised right on in . I was stoked he made it but after all this drama over a wrongly worded question i frankly could care less if i ever get in ! All i needed was a simple answer not two pages of whining crybabys who hide behind some goofy name they have given themselves. Like i said i apologize to cash and dennis i wasnt trying to attack their credibility i just worded my questions wrong. Sorry i am not perfect but i will sure work on it for everybodys sake who gave their opinion.
Guest200901
Rod- You are respected. Period. This place is the Ugliest and most Beautiful place there is. (I wavier on that poll though)....

But we in Minnesota have record of you being in a SE Uni talkin' crap to the rest of the MN snooty riders rolleyes.gif That Steve guy on the left is a bit of a stalker, so don't publish your number publicly

Gary Mason WWR
QUOTE (bronco134x @ Jul 3 2008, 12:40 AM) *
I stand corrected . I apologize to cash and dennis but as i said more than once i wasnt trying to downgrade their induction . Cash i started racing at 10 years old at hollyfield park in norwalk Ca. when they didnt even make you wear helmets on a schwinn stingray . The year was 1974. I think i have been around a for a while. I honestly was not singling you or dennis out but your names came up while talking to some other old school guys and when i wrote that you two are the names that came to mind . All i wanted to know was what the guideline was to be inducted not for everyone to get all bent about it. Greg Grubbs and i used to joke all the time that we would never make it in but he cruised right on in . I was stoked he made it but after all this drama over a wrongly worded question i frankly could care less if i ever get in ! All i needed was a simple answer not two pages of whining crybabys who hide behind some goofy name they have given themselves. Like i said i apologize to cash and dennis i wasnt trying to attack their credibility i just worded my questions wrong. Sorry i am not perfect but i will sure work on it for everybodys sake who gave their opinion.

This does't mean you cant get back on the bike and try to win again . Alot of people cry here but I just want all you guys back on the track . biggrin.gif
Racer
BMX Products I found that lol. I said a Master list. Like one that lists all the HoF guys and gals alphabetically without requiring you to hit the 20 different years. And then memorize or write down who was added.
Sandy and Doug not in already??? The shame, just an over site I'm sure. Shame Sandy never lived to see himself inducted. Lets try to honor the legends in their own lifetimes so they can clearly see the impact they had on BMX.

While Im at it a special thanks to Gork or whomever it was that started the HoF. Great idea!
BenOr
All i needed was a simple answer not two pages of whining crybabys who hide behind some goofy name they have given themselves.

Said Bronco134x
bronco134x
Yes Ben Orr that is exactly what i said . Does that include you . No . So why another reply from you on this that ads nothing . Step away from your computer and go ride your bike. Can you still ride or is that a thing of the past. I made a mistake took my tounge lashing and apologized. LET IT GO BRO!
bronco134x
Thanks Gary as a matter of fact i just put together a new quad that Todd Lyons hooked me up with. I raced a pro - am last nite and was hangin in there with the kids. My son is turning A-PRO and we will be putting together a program hopefully to get him to some races and hopefully i can go to some races with him . You can check him out on AOL videos rippin it up on bikes and his motorcycle just type in: Dereck Beckering and check him out.
cheez
QUOTE (bronco134x @ Jul 2 2008, 11:40 PM) *
All i needed was a simple answer not two pages of whining crybabys who hide behind some goofy name they have given themselves.

Like i said i apologize to cash and dennis i wasnt trying to attack their credibility i just worded my questions wrong. Sorry i am not perfect but i will sure work on it for everybodys sake who gave their opinion.

Posting a question that came off as a gripe thread about why a guy has got into the HOF and you haven't got your Cudos, and you are calling others on this board "cry babies" please.

My screen name is a nick name I have carried for decades, like yours "Bronco", you comment was an insult

You apologized to Cash and Dennis who rightfully deserved it. If your "work on it for everybody's sake" is some sort of an apology for the rest, apology acceptedm, for me at least.

Welcome to the boards

Just an observation from someone who has been here a while, and has seen this happen before. If you come on here "guns-a-blazzin" who you were back then won't mean "Jack"

Read some of the posts from Cash and Dennis and you will find that much of the respect they get from members here comes from who they are today more than who they were back then. I never knew them back then, and we have never personally met, but if someone asked me I would call them friends.

Edit; Chuck
Good one Chuck....lol
bronco134x
I apologize to all i offended . Just kind of got that backed into a corner feeling. I respect both Dennis and Cash. I was around Dennis all the time at the local races and used to hang out at Ralphs Bike Shop when he rode and worked for them. I remember reading about Cash and i believe Mat Raymer doing the pikes peak adventure and thought that was the coolest thing ever. Any way hope i have made amends for my dead from the neck up thread and hope all is cool . Rod 'Bronco' Beckering.
cheez
From my end at least. Very cool Rod, very cool

Thanks
sanjosebmx
This does't mean you cant get back on the bike and try to win again . Alot of people cry here but I just want all you guys back on the track . biggrin.gif

I've seen the Bronco back in action - full SE gear, looked like 1979 all over again, just a bit grayer like the rest of us old farts.

Elvis
QUOTE (bronco134x @ Jul 2 2008, 11:40 PM) *

Internets LOL

QUOTE (BenOr @ Jul 3 2008, 12:48 AM) *
Said Bronco134x

ibid

QUOTE (bronco134x @ Jul 3 2008, 02:11 AM) *
Yes Ben Orr that is exactly what i said . Does that include you . No . So why another reply from you on this that ads nothing . Step away from your computer and go ride your bike. Can you still ride or is that a thing of the past. I made a mistake took my tounge lashing and apologized. LET IT GO BRO!

ibid

So is it okay to suggest the nomination of me for this year's HOF?

2008, the Year of BenOr Elvis
66alfa_gtv
It is essentially a popularity contest.

So, what you are saying is I stand a chance?
I'm elated!
TimL
I see many friends past and present either participating in, or being mentioned in this thread. All of you are Hall of Famers in my mind.

I hate to see this kind of back and forth going on in message boards. I've been very guilty of it myself at times.

If you were all together in one room, it would be one big BMX HOF party! Congrats to all in the HOF!

Cash really stepped up the presentations at last year's event and was talking about working with ABA to make the event even more meaningful. Perhaps one idea is to start inducting more than three people each year? Another thought would be to produce a 10-12 minute video of each inductee to play at the Grands on a big screen, send to the media, etc. My two cents.

Bronco....you will be there someday bro! If Grubber can do it...there is hope! (Only someone from Nebraska can trash talk another Nebraskan and get away with it).

Does anyone know if go211 has the video from last year's banquet? Greg's speech was classic!
I have the ceremony from 2006 on tape and Cash has a copy on DVD.

Gary Mason WWR
QUOTE (sanjosebmx @ Jul 3 2008, 12:00 PM) *
I've seen the Bronco back in action - full SE gear, looked like 1979 all over again, just a bit grayer like the rest of us old farts.

I was hoping I would hear that . Great to have you back on the track Bronco .
VirgoRider87
I Guess No 1 Ever in the bmx World Gives Credit Where its Deserved Dude Basicly Ricks Bike Shop Team Was The shizzle Back Then And F.y.i Its Bobby Encinas not Incas lol... Ya Hall Of Fame All Ricks bike Shop [please review the site FAQs] Kickers.
msalyers
that's a lot of caps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.