Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Tribute To Riders Who Have Passed Away...
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
cornfed
This is a tough subject to talk about. It is definitely not a pleasant topic. I think it would be nice to post a picture, or maybe pass a few kind words about any riders who have passed away.

One rider that I have heard passed away is Doug Jicha. Although I didn't know him well, I did hang out with him a bit between moto's at nationals. he was a bigger rider, and his bike used to creak like crazy down the first straight. He was a Factory DK rider and I think he rode an Andy Patterson. Cool guy and very fast. RIP.

I have heard Denny Owens too. I remember seeing him at some indoor cement races in Illinois. Very fast and a really nice guy.
Jason Chang
Iremember my first time to race on the East side, many very fast racers that were not familier names to me, but by the end of the weekend they were very well known. Doug was one of them, I remember Denny from the mags. Any info on what happend?

RIP
Changstar
steve smith
I knew doug ,still havent heard the details of his passing-hated to hear he passed.
I also raced against a guy named Dennis Dayrit who was on here from what i heard and seen links where he was racing again before his death in 05.I remember the 1st race i was in Dennis'moto was logansport indiana in 83 he laughed at my shag/muffinhead haircut -called me a powder puff even i was soooo mad at him we were 10 or 11 at the time he was quite a joker.His obit said he had a lil girl too and that makes it even worse ...rip guys you will be missed..Steve
robert foshag
cecil johns, and adam the bomb richards. rip good brothers.
Racer
New Jersey BMX Pro from BITD Lee Veale. I'm told had passed away. His father helped run the Millville, NJ BMX track and a team and bike shop out of his house, Action Enterprises Racing (AER). I'm told his father has also passed away. His father helped get the NJ Motorsport Complex started.
Maurice Meyer
Dave Vanderspek
robert foshag
that is a cool pic..
Deanna
Todd Kingsbury. The original "Race for Life" Kid you see in every magazine the ABA Puts out.
He was a local kid that rode for Powerlite and died of Leukemia back in the early 80's.

Doug Jicha was my teammate on World Class back in 1987. I heard a few years back that he passed away. That was shocking to hear. He was a great guy and I really enjoyed being teammates with him.

RIP
B. Apold
QUOTE (Jason Chang @ May 2 2008, 11:23 PM) *
Iremember my first time to race on the East side, many very fast racers that were not familier names to me, but by the end of the weekend they were very well known. Doug was one of them, I remember Denny from the mags. Any info on what happend?

RIP
Changstar

I believe Denny Owens died in a one car accident if I remember correctly...
He was the BMX concrete king though... very fast. If everyone was running 41-16, Denny would run 39-16 and take care of biz... He was a nice guy forsure.
Lunchbox67
Kyle Fleming

Been over 25 years. RIP
riderippers
Todd Kingsbury definately. Still have a pair of Hubs his parents build for me BITD. (Sunchine converted to Bullseye style)

"Chargin" Chad Conner Michigan District 3 ABA early 80's. Close friend and racing partner for Village Bike Shop and SE Racing.

RIP
dewey
QUOTE (riderippers @ May 5 2008, 02:54 PM) *
Todd Kingsbury definately. Still have a pair of Hubs his parents build for me BITD. (Sunchine converted to Bullseye style)

"Chargin" Chad Conner Michigan District 3 ABA early 80's. Close friend and racing partner for Village Bike Shop and SE Racing.

RIP

I also heard that Dana Griffin passed any info??
robert foshag
Dana Griffin ...true??
tomanybikes
Although I did not know him. It is hard to forget Chad Mauer from Wisconsin . He is remembered every year at Elkhorn Wisconsin and Rockford Il. with the Chad Mauer Memorial race. His bike is given a memorial walk around the track. Not a dry eye in the house. His dad John Mauer still races every week (64 year old cruiser and twenty inch) If his son was anything like his dad he was a great guy always willing to lend a hand or maybe let some newbie bag an award or make a main. John always takes the time to talk with my 17 year old son and treats him like his own. If anyone sees John at a national give him a thumbs up. He's one cool cat with a big heart.

John Mittelstadt
Milwaukee BMX
bnd

It's been over 7 years now.

b.
Mike'Ultimate Sin of Bmx'Crehan
bnd, I was wondering when somebody was going to put his name on the list
Thumperpilot
AZ. local and Factory GJS and Mongoose rider Jeff Parscale.

Also Factory Redman and Robinson rider Ryan Vanderveen past away very recently.

ABA BMX Hall 'O Famer, Factory Mongoose rider and east coast legend Charlie Litsky.

I think GT's Rich Long should get a mention as well. BMX hasn't been the same since Rich left us all.

RIP our BMX brothers.
Deanna
I think GT's Rich Long should get a mention as well. BMX hasn't been the same since Rich left us all.

I couldn't agree more Shannon. I also thought about putting Richard on the list yesterday. There is not a time when I'm at a national where I don't think about him.

http://richard-long.blogspot.com/ This is a place I visit every so often when Richard crosses my mind. Adding to the tribute to riders that have passed I would like to add Jeff Long (Richard's son) to the list.

RIP
indylodown
It's been two months to the day Indiana lost one of our own.

Bill Drake

Ride On Bill and God Speed

tedr
In the late 80's & early 90's we had a Michigan cruiser rider named J.R. Walden, cool guy, very fast. He rode for Dans for a couple years, passed away several years ago with his wife in a high speed boating accident. Had some great races with that guy.

R I P

AlinaVanderVeen
My older brother Ryan VanderVeen passed away on April 4, 2008
I knew a lot of his riding family from GT from my childhood, and even saw a few at his funeral. They always said he was the best of the best and I still think it's true! Love you Ryan, you'll be missed greatly.Click to view attachment
JohnnyJohnson OMAS DirtSlinger
Sadly, Dana Griffin was shot and killed. That's all I'm going to say. I have no other info on it.
He was a very nice guy and a excellent racer.
steve smith
He wasnt a rider but the news hit me hard this weekend as i was racing in waterford about kelly burdette passing away-theres a big plaque in memory of him on the starting hill -im including him on here cause he was a big part of bmx !Rip!
Deanna
Steve,
It hits me hard everytime I go up to the starting gate. I posted pics a few years back on the donation to get the memorial going for Kelly. John Tomac, Arielle Martin, Sammy Cools, Todd Lyons, Krystal Hime and Jeffery Upshaw all donated their jersey's to the cause. The memorial you saw going to the starting gate was in my own words to someone who meant so much to BMX. Thanks for noticing the tribute and remembering Kelly Burnette
azbmxking
wha wha what?. vanderveen died????

how?? no way

wow.. im depressed
robert foshag
QUOTE (tedr @ May 8 2008, 03:17 AM) *
In the late 80's & early 90's we had a Michigan cruiser rider named J.R. Walden, cool guy, very fast. He rode for Dans for a couple years, passed away several years ago with his wife in a high speed boating accident. Had some great races with that guy.

R I P
im very sorry to hear that as JR was a heck of a person...
monkeybiscuits
Big Respect to;

Neil Ruffell

Pepe Winder

both amazing riders BITD, sadly gone........

RIP
msalyers
john hargett- originally from N.C. but moved to tampa around '82. R.I.P. john.
mike
steve smith
QUOTE (Deanna @ May 26 2008, 11:17 PM) *
Steve,
It hits me hard everytime I go up to the starting gate. I posted pics a few years back on the donation to get the memorial going for Kelly. John Tomac, Arielle Martin, Sammy Cools, Todd Lyons, Krystal Hime and Jeffery Upshaw all donated their jersey's to the cause. The memorial you saw going to the starting gate was in my own words to someone who meant so much to BMX. Thanks for noticing the tribute and remembering Kelly Burnette

My jaw about hit the pavement when i seen it i wasnt expecting to see that when i looked up at the starter box.They did it up very very well cause its like he's still there with us looking over the hill with it placed the way it is.
azbmxking
colin winkleman, boyley, joe tiseo, jeremy barcik, adam armstrong

rip shredders
TimL
Whenever I see a post like this one, my thoughts go back to 1990 when my good friend, neighborhood pal, and early day BMX'er passed away in a car accident. We miss you Timothy Joseph Heyden.

T.J. was one of the good guys. Always fun. Always the life of the party. T.J. was a few years younger than his brother Chris and I. He was the closest I had to a little brother and it still hurts. We took T.J. with us to all of the big races in the late 70's.

Here are some of my favorite race shots of T.J. from the NBA Sumernationals in Shawnee, OK.

T.J Heyden leads riders from Texas and Oklahoma to win his age class at the NBA
Summernationals in Shawnee, Oklahoma.
Photo by Tim Lillethorup, 1978.

Chris and T.J. Heyden were serious competitors that could win any race, on any day. But above all, they were liked by everyone they met, at racetracks all over the country. They had a lot of class. That's Kevin Renker clowning around behind them.
Photo by Tim Lillethorup, 1978.

The Nebraskans dominated racing in the Midwest. Back row left to right are Rex Reason, Joe Baumert, Tim Lillethorup, Greg Grubbs, Steve Gavin, Chris Heyden, Randy Gibson. Front row left to right are Todd Calfee, Curt Allgood, Brad Fanshaw and T.J. Heyden.

Thoughts and Prayers to every BMX'er who has gone before us.
AlinaVanderVeen
QUOTE (azbmxking @ May 26 2008, 10:24 PM) *
wha wha what?. vanderveen died????

how?? no way

wow.. im depressed

Yeah i'ts pretty crazy its so hard to believe....
just about everyone knows, well alot anyway
i don't see how more people would know because there was so many people at Ryan's funeral....
It was just last month too...
VAbmxdad
Dennis Dayrit & Mike Meckenberg. Both were friends of mine bitd. Mike I stayed in touch with over the years & tried to talk him into getting a bike & coming up to the track with us. Passed away earlier this month of a heart attack. Dennis was an annoying, but super-fast grom when I was in my teens. Lost touch with him for many years until he turned up at a state race at my home track. We spent some time catching up when we saw eachother at the races. He passed away in 05 of what I was told was a massive asthma attack. RIP guys.
azbmxking
i had really good memories of me, ryan and tony lopez, haha

such good times.. im really sorry that he has passed, my condolences for sure

and if you could, post some pics of him, racing, or with trophies

that would be so bitchin
Jsea73
A Local racer and Friend from back in the day at Derby City BMX,,,,,,,Russell Douglas,,,Passed away yesterday...RIP Russell

We had some good times at the Races, Firehouse trails, and around the neighborhood,
R. Serafin
QUOTE (JohnnyJohnson OMAS DirtSlinger @ May 26 2008, 09:52 PM) *
Sadly, Dana Griffin was shot and killed. That's all I'm going to say. I have no other info on it.
He was a very nice guy and a excellent racer.

On my. That's sad J.J. That guy was super kewl.
mongoosedrummer
Though not a true "BMX'r" per say, I'd like to include my Dad, Jack (May 16th, 1930- February 7th, 2008). angel.png

A friend of Skip Hess and my partner in securing the very first Mongoose shipped to Canada back in 1976.

Thanks Pops...

wink.gif
LIOldSchoolBMX
Brooklyn BMX Legend Billy Erwin was lost on 911. He was a cool dude.
BShute
Dana Griffin
wow that sucks!
I only had the chance to race Dana a few times at a few Nationals.
I think he was riding for Boss or Zeronine then, about the time Terry Tennete was racing for Boss.
he was a big boy with some power.
he had a brother too, Darwin.

STRIKE
Not sure if the old school racing forum is the appropriate place for this, as this guy was a freestyler and only 29, but what the heck...he was a real rider.

A few of us here had a friend pass on a few months back. Alex "Odie" Johns was the first really good bike rider that I had the opportunity to take pictures of, and he had the patience of a saint with my (then) novice photography skills. I was lucky enough to become pretty good friends with him a short period of time. He was always willing to help a person out, whether it be helping you move or just listening when you had something troubling you.

I hadn't heard from him for a few years when I heard of his death, but he will always be in my fondest memories...and in my boxes full of negatives & prints.

Here is his obituary and here are a couple of pictures I took of him back in the early 2000's.

B. Apold
QUOTE (Deanna @ May 27 2008, 03:17 AM) *
Steve,

John Tomac died? I think I read something (long ago) that he drank some bad water while out riding in the woods and it really messed with his health. Was his death contributed to that?? Wow he was a stand up bmx guy and a mad MTB rider. He use to clobber everyone back in the early 90's
RandyS
QUOTE (B. Apold @ Sep 19 2008, 08:04 PM) *
John Tomac died? I think I read something (long ago) that he drank some bad water while out riding in the woods and it really messed with his health. Was his death contributed to that?? Wow he was a stand up bmx guy and a mad MTB rider. He use to clobber everyone back in the early 90's

Tomac didn't die. But his son Eli just signed a 3 year deal to race the am nationals in 09 the turn pro for Gieco/ Factory Connection Honda.$$$$$$
Joe Baumert
Owen Dowdy. He gave Grubber and I fits in the B Pro class at the NBL Grands in 1981. He was one of the first guys I saw doing a 360 over the step up jump at that particular race.

Also, Cheslely Brooks. Another good rider from the state of Oklahoma.

And of course TJ Heyden from Nebraska. That one hurt.
B. Apold
QUOTE (RandyS @ Sep 19 2008, 08:07 PM) *
Tomac didn't die. But his son Eli just signed a 3 year deal to race the am nationals in 09 the turn pro for Gieco/ Factory Connection Honda.$$$$$$

Sorry I totally read her post wrong... shhhhhhhew, thank god he didn't.
Duck
QUOTE (robert foshag @ May 6 2008, 11:46 AM) *
Dana Griffin ...true??

I googled blue max and mongoose yesterday for something Mark Lopez has going on another site. I found an old post from this site by Johnny Johnson (maybe from '05 or something) where he said:

"Sad to say, Dana Griffin was shot and killed a quite a few year ago (not sure which year). Darwin told me around 2001. He didn't go into any details. I really like both those guys a lot. I last saw Darwin at the 2001 ABA So Cal Nationals at Ontario, Ca."

So that's two of the old Boss boys (Cecil Johns a couple of years ago) that have left us.

Duck
QUOTE (Joe Baumert @ Sep 19 2008, 04:14 PM) *
Owen Dowdy. He gave Grubber and I fits in the B Pro class at the NBL Grands in 1981. He was one of the first guys I saw doing a 360 over the step up jump at that particular race.

Also, Cheslely Brooks. Another good rider from the state of Oklahoma.

And of course TJ Heyden from Nebraska. That one hurt.

Owen was form St. Louis. He didn't race locals all that much but when he did he always looked like he was having a lot of fun.
He was a great jumper too. We were all shocked when we heard about him (back then).
AbeNitro
Great topic, yes it is sad but also sweet. It is sweet that all of these brothers left their mark on us, and it is sweet that they live on in our hearts.

Cecil Johns was a great Nor Cal success story. I remember racing him when he was about 16 and he was built like a whip and weighed about 130. Then he morphed into a super muscle man with awesome riding skills. His strength and skill could really propel the Boss he rode. He had a can do attitude and was always supportive of younger developing riders. He was like a cool big brother to all the kids. He lives on!
Here is a pic that shows Cecil's intensity (11)... http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p107/oz.../P1010010_1.jpg

Devin Cooper quit racing in the early 80s and raced DH MTB in the early 2000s. He was factory WTB and very fast. He could pull of table tops on his mountain bike at 42 years old. He was super smooth and confident. I was/am really sad that he passed. He way lives on in my heart. When shopping for a new MTB he told me not to shop just buy a Santa Cruz Heckler and I followed his instruction and still ride it.

Both of these guys are great BMX brothers that helped build the sport.

Thanks guys!
tatersalad
R.I.P. Steve Brown from NorCal. Sacramento
I think it was 1982 or 83
Hit head on by a drunk driver. He was driving back up from LA when the drunk came up the off ramp the wrong way.

Steve was one of my personal heros. With out a doubt one of the nicest persons I had ever met.

Lived about 3 doors down from JMC's Adam Cox. (Hi Adam! he is still alive)

Thanks for your friendship Steve. Your memory rides with me always.

Alex
omartcruisers
I had no idea that we lost so many. If you think about it, we are really a small population. RIP all of you. Your memory and impact on our sport will always be remembered.
LOU134
QUOTE (Duck @ Sep 21 2008, 08:13 AM) *
Owen was form St. Louis. He didn't race locals all that much but when he did he always looked like he was having a lot of fun.
He was a great jumper too. We were all shocked when we heard about him (back then).

Wow I haven't heard Owens name in decades. We were close friends, rode every where together, I have bmx storyies second to none. I have to look for the box of photes from the local jumps showing massive air, for the time. His death was a tragedy( he) we should of been at a different place that night. 'Duck' reading your post you know alot, I'm trying to put a face on ya.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.