Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Year Is My Patterson?
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
RadArcade
Hi All,
A while back I snapped some pics of a BMX bike I had at my parents. With your help, I learned that I have a Patterson. I finally got this bike to my place, and took a bunch of newer crap off of it, and now I am left with what was on it when it was given to me (minus a bottom bracket which I can not find).

I took a good look at the frame, and I can not find a serial number anywhere. Anyone know what year this bike is? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of a picture of a stock one so I can see what the decal set looked like?

One thing I am not sure was on the bike back in the day was the brake lever. Anyone know if its the right vintage for this bike? It looks kind of modern so I am thinking no, but I am a newbie and not sure.

Pics can be viewed here http://picasaweb.google.com/RadArcade/PattersonBMX

I plan on building the bike up into a rider. Obviously the bike has been used, so I plan on building the bike up with used parts. I know this isn't the wanted section, but I need the following parts if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I think my first choice is to go with a blue color scheme, followed by red, and then black.

Araya rims (these appear to have some flat spots)
MX-1000 rear brake
freewheel (not sure which brand to get)
seat post (again not sure shich brand to get)
seat (kashimax)
grips (oakley maybe?)
bottom bracket and hardware (profile)
chainring (suntour)
pedals (suntour or KKT)
pads (cal lite or original patterson)

pk ripped
Your Patterson is a 1982. The two main reasons are chrome finish, earlier models were all nickel plated. Also the hole in the plate/brace behind the BB is a tell tale sign. Heres a picture of mine, those are the original decals. Also correct were the earlier Patterson block letter font logo on clear. The orange letters on white backing like the later PR models is not correct.

pk ripped
Nice website by the way. I have a Millipede stand-up and a Asteroids Deluxe ck-tail. The three I really want are 1. Robotron 2084 2. Tempest and 3. Bubble Bobble.
RadArcade
That is awesome. I love Millipede.

Did you notice the difference in our forks? Is yours a Patterson? Is mine?

Has anyone reproduced those decals?

Thanks for the help.
DarrenC
The fork you have could be a Boss if it has an angled dropout. if it is rounded, it could be a CW or Elf. If you can get a closeup, it would help.
pk ripped
Yep, mine are Pattersons. Not sure on yours like Darren said.
Walter Holda
Yep, the rims look trashed for sure and so are the Phil Wood hubs, so box them up and I'll tell you where to ship them! wink.gif

You have the start of a really nice ride there. What are your plans for her? You say you had it at your Rents house but you didn't know what it was? Where did you score it in the first place?

Have fun and welcome aboard.
RadArcade
Well... the bike belonged to my college roommate. I used it for a while and then bought a more durable bike (fueler). It has been sitting in my garage ever since. Recently I just got the bug to fix it up and ride it. Seems I am trying to dabble in all the stuff I did as a youth (skateboard, bmx, arcade and video games).

I figure the next one I will do is the mini bike in my avatar. I still have that Cycle Pro, and if I get it going I figure my nephew can ride it. Unfortunately I think I got rid of the seatpost, stem, and bars. I guess that would make it a good candidate for a pitbike.

radman
hey do we know what model the patterson could be ie pro long /pro /exp .. i have one identical to the one in the first pic with an 18.5 t/t and a serial on the b/b .. any thoughts ??
pquinnbmx
decals, did somebody mention decals? { I'm out right now}
G-Low
I'm looking for those decals as well. Is anyone re-pro ing them? pquinn did you make a run of them in the past?
pquinnbmx
I did not make the "new font" like in pk ripped's photo. I made the older nickel decals with the older style font. I'm out. I was a courier doing deliveries at a screen print shop that made them for me, and I was there as recently as a month ago and never really thought to ask them about making more.
RadArcade
Thanks all for the help. I finished the Patty up and have been riding it. My next project is a PL-24.

More photos here.
http://picasaweb.google.com/RadArcade/PattersonBMX
Steve Bourke
QUOTE (pquinnbmx @ May 11 2008, 08:38 PM) *
I did not make the "new font" like in pk ripped's photo. I made the older nickel decals with the older style font. I'm out. I was a courier doing deliveries at a screen print shop that made them for me, and I was there as recently as a month ago and never really thought to ask them about making more.

i could use some nickle stickers for a mini, and a set for a Avalanche
old time
theres sticker for them on ebay right now
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.