Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Raleigh Rampar Referendum
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
guest_070901
Anyone have some Rampar stories to share?

Here in the midwest during the late 70s Rampar was the first real BMX experience for the low income kids.
It was our first taste of a non-Stingray shaped frame, first bike to take modifications like femcos, then tuff 1s.
The bike we progressed from goose neck to double clamp, to Tuf Neck.
And the bike we used to learn that new thing called a bunny hop. What kind of name was that...

And the bike that was our personal billboard during the prism decal fad of 79-80. "If you value your life as much as I value my bike, don't mess with it" decal which proved ineffective as my bike promptly got stolen. They should have been frightened of the dual cobras on the box bars, but I guess they were a tougher than average thief.

It's been so cold in the midwest that I got a craving for a sneak peek at my next winter's project. Slapped the last of the misfit parts on this R11. (Thanks Team Rob for the hookup on a supplier!)

This site has the 79 brochure but the catalog bikes look for 78ish than I recall 79 bikes like my R10 in the pic below.
http://www.thrill.to/RaleighBurner

Did anyone see this R5 looking bike on ebay? Finding the plastic for it would be nearly impossible.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=016

Tell us a Raleigh story:
NBKA-SENSEI
This was by far my fav bike from BITD.
Beautiful bike you have there man.
B. Apold
Wasn't the Miata bmx bike the same??? If so, my cousin's was your bike's twin brother... Cool huh?

Paul Springer
One of my best buddies when I was 12 got a brand new Rampar R11XL and the thing was drop dead gorgeous. It was white just like yours and I loved it. I always thought the bike rocked bigtime. Here a few pics that I have collected that are Rampar/Raliegh related.

guest_070901
I've only sat on this in that cramped attic space but the back is really lowslung and the front feels big and slightly choppered. like riding a late 70s dirtbike. Seems like it is going to be fun to carve around the trails. The frame is really light. even with the steel forks the whole thing doesn't feel much over 25 lbs, just a guesstimate on weight though. MUCH more aggressive feeling than the r10 which is tall and awkward.

I got my hands on one of these frames back in Jr. High but I learned that night it was hot so I had to return it. never got to actually ride one BITD.
guest_070901
double post
Steve Bourke
i got this one for sale. make offer + shipping

guest_070901
Teh internets has pointed out that Raleigh marketed different line-ups to different countries.
What would have been the reasoning for this, at a time when other companies were all offering the same product?
It appears to me that Europe, Australia, Canada and the US all share similar BMX tastes on these sites?
Were our tastes that different in the early 80s?

For example, Raleigh offered this full cromo R9 frame in 1978

Yet it resurfaces in Canada in the early 80s as a Pro-Am (assuming it is the same frame as it seems)

And did Raleigh really think the US wouldn't like the awesome color scheme of the Burner as seen in the BOTY vote?

PS-Steve, the R10s aren't bringing much right now. if you clean it in oxalic acid, you may pull a $75 BIN on ebay...maybe.
waza007
This is one of mine. the other one is a reynolds

Steve Bourke
QUOTE (BridgeCity @ Feb 1 2008, 02:47 PM) *
Teh internets has pointed out that Raleigh marketed different line-ups to different countries.
What would have been the reasoning for this, at a time when other companies were all offering the same product?
It appears to me that Europe, Australia, Canada and the US all share similar BMX tastes on these sites?

Yet it resurfaces in Canada in the early 80s as a Pro-Am (assuming it is the same frame as it seems)

And did Raleigh really think the US wouldn't like the awesome color scheme of the Burner as seen in the BOTY vote?

PS-Steve, the R10s aren't bringing much right now. if you clean it in oxalic acid, you may pull a $75 BIN on ebay...maybe.
i was looking for $15 + shipping. i just don't want to throw it away
COASTY
Waza has the grail of Raleigh frames. Love it.
guest_070901
what did they call the r9/pro am frame in Australia?

And what's with the Mongoose forks? I didn't think you owned any goose stuff.... wink.gif
K Robison
My LBS was a Raleigh dealer BITD. He always "co sponsored" one rider with a Raleigh. One year, jeff and Toby came to the shop when the WOS was in Miami. My friend Juan got Toby to sell him his JT Raleigh pants with "Toby" stitched on the rear. Naturally, his new nickname was Toby! How cool would those pants be to have now.

If I remember, Waza's friend was a BMX products Jag/Gator (remember those?)/everythign else frame. The R9 looked very Cook Bros-ish. I remember the R11XL feeling stiffer than most rides at the time.

And my bros first bike was one of those low end Rampars.

Ken
COASTY
The R9 frames are very hard to get down here too. We had the R10 but they weren't real popular. Come to think of it, Raleigh had a hard time selling anything down under.
I found this about 3 months ago. I haven't been able to find another anywhere. Even the Poms have no idea.
Mini Magnum.

This is the bike I am looking for pictures of. Very hard to find a good pic.
I had a poster of him from early 81 I think from Bmx Plus. I would pay well for that poster.
BenOr
OLDBMXDC has Bottema's 531 Ralegh. Same as Toby's above, but with Euro BB. He bought it straight from Jeff along with a matching road bike.
guest_070901
December 1979:

pquinnbmx
I have a large rampar collection, but it would take some time for me to dig them all out and photo them. I'm a fan. I grew up in the "bridge city" as well, and yes, Rampars were a huge part of bmx right there in that region. We had a Rampar dealer shop there and that bike shop sold tons of them. Apparently.
Gary Mason WWR
QUOTE (BridgeCity @ Feb 1 2008, 05:47 PM) *

I had that same blue r-9 but the parts were all blue . About 1981 I bolted it to a hack and had alot of fun with it . the r-9 was my second race bike .
guest_070901
Hey Pat,
So I was in the shop you mentioned, just last week.
Red isn't too enthused to talk old Rampar.
He did have some nice thin lock nuts for those narrow rampar forks, though.
pquinnbmx
he wasn't too enthused to talk rampar back in 1980, either. ha ha
ask him about the time I rode a wheelie around that walking track behind his shop, and I flipped, and the handlebar end caught me right above the eye, and I had blood all over everything.... what a mess. supposedly red or his wife called the ambulance, but I remember my mom taking me to the hospital like 80mph running red lights
guest_070901
that row of shops behind the track saw a lot of bloody boys. good times!

Pat, can I pick your brain here a bit:
Is the mongoose Rampar the same as the R9, the same as the canada Pro am?
SPOAlowairchamp
Yo,
The Raleigh Rampar R10 was my first "real" bmx bike. It was blue with yellow mags. I soon replaced the stem with a double clamp mongoose and added some SE bars. Man I'd love to still have that bike. Unlike my next couple of bikes it wasn't stolen but I don't remember what became of it.
pquinnbmx
mongoose- made rampar is the nickel frame that waza posted, made in usa, nice, not the same as the r-9 which is japan made. I have no idea what that canada thing is that you posted but it appears to be taiwan made, just by the looks of it. I have a taiwan made one like that, loop tail, real cheap steel. The japan r-9 was real nice welds, real quality. my taiwan bike is looptail and real cheap, I think they called it an "R-11" I wish I had photos, too much mess around here, ha ha
guest_070901
I may be the only one to find this interesting, but I never realized Raleigh had such a diverse marketing plan around the globe:

Here is the timeline I'm trying to organize in my brain.
Your info above will help clarify more than I previously understood:

Rampar R10: 1977-80 common, all steel, built in seat clamp, loop tail, single gusset with circular holes. 77-80
What was this called in UK, Canada, Australia?
What years was it released in each country?
What country or facility produced this frame?

Rampar R9, 1978, all cro-moly, double gusset, looptail

(I see that the R9 may have been called a Pro-Am in Canada in the early 80s)

Rampar R11xl, 1979-80, low slung, reynolds tubing, double gusset

Rampar R10xl, double gusset steel, 81 or 82?

Miscellaneous question:

vintagemongoose.com shows a Mongoose made Rampar that looks very similar to the R9 model.
Where does this frame type fall into production in the other countries, and is it indeed the R9 frame?
guest_070901
I searched for some of your old posts, found a couple of pics:

you called this an r11, which was an r10 with a fancier fork.

and apparently Raleigh stickered some Race Inc's as Rampar:

so Raleigh must've been all over the place trying to figure out a marketing strategy?
Wow.
pquinnbmx
the old 1978 was an r -11 {photo above} just a fancier version of r-10
robert foshag
QUOTE (pquinnbmx @ Feb 6 2008, 12:40 AM) *
the old 1978 was an r -11 {photo above} just a fancier version of r-10

i have bone stock near mint 1980 r10... I grew up wanting that all blue all r9 more than i wanted to lose virginity, the local shop had one with all blue components, im still seeking it out today...sniff siff, thanks for memorys!!
pquinnbmx
I only saw the R-9 with blue components
, well, silver cranks and stuff, with blue as well mixed in... until that blue and gold one was posted.

ok, to recap, I know the blue R-9 is japan made, quality chromo and welds. I also think they are mainly 1979-80. Maybe 1978 but that sounds a little early to me. I have a NOS one, the welds are nice, the bike can be placed right next to a Cook Bros and they look very much the same. I wonder if the Japan folks just copied a Cooks?

I think that white one is a later version cheapo steel, like 1983. Maybe. I have to see the welds. I would not mix up the white one above with an r-9, unless I could see the welds.

I have a cheapo steel one like the white one above, it's silver, I think it's called an r-11. It says "taiwan" on it. Dual gussett like the r-9, but bad welds.

I also have a 1978 r-11 {pictured} single gussett. Looks like an r-10, but with 7B rims and tubular forks.

The mongoose {bmx products} nickel frame is above, posted there, real nice frame.

I guess the folks at rampar/raleigh made several variations, cheapo, nice, mid-range.

go to raleighburner.com to see some interesting things in the UK.

robert foshag
QUOTE (pquinnbmx @ Feb 7 2008, 02:47 AM) *
I only saw the R-9 with blue components
, well, silver cranks and stuff, with blue as well mixed in... until that blue and gold one was posted.

ok, to recap, I know the blue R-9 is japan made, quality chromo and welds. I also think they are mainly 1979-80. Maybe 1978 but that sounds a little early to me. I have a NOS one, the welds are nice, the bike can be placed right next to a Cook Bros and they look very much the same. I wonder if the Japan folks just copied a Cooks?

I think that white one is a later version cheapo steel, like 1983. Maybe. I have to see the welds. I would not mix up the white one above with an r-9, unless I could see the welds.

I have a cheapo steel one like the white one above, it's silver, I think it's called an r-11. It says "taiwan" on it. Dual gussett like the r-9, but bad welds.

I also have a 1978 r-11 {pictured} single gussett. Looks like an r-10, but with 7B rims and tubular forks.

The mongoose {bmx products} nickel frame is above, posted there, real nice frame.

I guess the folks at rampar/raleigh made several variations, cheapo, nice, mid-range.

go to raleighburner.com to see some interesting things in the UK.

the shop by my house as a kid had the r9 with all blue components, the seat was the suede kashimax mx style. this was around 1979 i believe and for the time the bike was trick! i dont recall the it any other way, but they did have a frame kit in blue for awhile that they built up with parts from the showcase...
n2o
Rob Foshag.....your name is very familiar. I'm 40 and grew up/raced in the Toledo, Milan, Woodhaven, Lansing area. Are you the guy I emailed a few times a couple years ago about knowing Jeff Kunkle?

BTW, a silver Rampar R10 was my very first "true" bmx bike, followed soon by a CYC Stormer. Ahhhhh, the memories!
VAbmxdad
I had an R10 just like the copper colored one on the previous page. Same colors & everything. I broke the single stem & replaced ot with a Goose double clamp. Then blew out the coaser brake hub & replaced the wheels w/ some black Tuff 2's. I eventually broke the frame & bought a Mongoose. Ah, memories...
TheSystemBMX
QUOTE (BridgeCity @ Jan 31 2008, 08:17 AM) *
Tell us a Raleigh story:

Joel Linnell of Rockville BMX fame.
reyn
Hi everyone

I'm a new member from the United Kingdom and have a Raleigh Cromo Burner, the frame of which is made by Koizumi (Japan) instead of a Raleigh frame.

I'm also on the look out for an American Raleigh / Rampar bike to buy that someone is willing to send to the United Kingdom. wink.gif pm me

Cheers
guest_070901
Hey Reyn,
You could see if Steve still has the chrome R10 pictured toward the beginning of the thread.
I'd be willing to give it an oxalic bath and send it over to you for cost plus shipping (and remember the duty tax in the UK)

reyn
Hi
Thanks for the the offer Bridgecity but really after an 'R' gusseted bike or an R7000, R5000, R3500 etc

If I dont get lucky I might see if Steve's still got his but for now I'm hoping someone on here can help with my search. Anyting considered wink.gif

Once again thanks for the offer of giving the frame an oxalic acid bath wink.gif
guest_070901
here is a later steel double gusset R10.
not sure what models the 1000 series is you mentioned above?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Raleigh-Ramper-R10_W0Q...1QQcmdZViewItem
reyn
Here is some pics / info Bridgecity

robert foshag
QUOTE (n2o @ Feb 7 2008, 03:41 AM) *
Rob Foshag.....your name is very familiar. I'm 40 and grew up/raced in the Toledo, Milan, Woodhaven, Lansing area. Are you the guy I emailed a few times a couple years ago about knowing Jeff Kunkle?

BTW, a silver Rampar R10 was my very first "true" bmx bike, followed soon by a CYC Stormer. Ahhhhh, the memories!

Hey what is your name i usually remember everyone...we are the same age and i new Kunkle well as he was local at all my our tracks he hung out with the miller bros, Jeff and he had a younger his name i cant recall at the time, they also hung out with a guy named Mike ensign..
jesboogie
QUOTE (reyn @ Feb 7 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Here is some pics / info Bridgecity

My very first entry into the bmx world was on a Raleigh of this vintage/ trim. Got it for xmas in 83/4? Mine was chrome and hooked with the blue anodized parts. I lost the alloy v bars for some gt style bars, used SX pedals, and all stock otherwise. Blue Haro plate I bought on the next day. I loved that got dan bike!

jesse d
msalyers
bump
DaveC
I owned that R9 in the Bridgecity pic. Just a note the welds on that frame were of cook bros quality. VERY well built frame.
guest_070901
Hopefully someone will pull an R9 out of the closet to show at Rockford. I'd love to see one up close again!

In the R11 review it mentioned putting shorter forks on. Out of curiousity I laid some Tange TRX forks up against the Rampar forks. same exact length from axle hole to steerer race flange. the rampar forks just give the bottema fork length illusion.

also, per the other raleigh thread. the R11xl reynolds frame was sold in OZ as a Raleigh Viper.
AaronJ
Rampar R11xl, 1979-80, low slung, reynolds tubing, double gusset

I'm in Australia and have THIS THREAD about a bike I am trying to sort some details out on that is called a "Viper". Closest match I have found is the R-11XL though my 3-piece cranks and stem seem not to match any R-11XL I have seen pictured.

No idea of the year.

No idea where it was manufactured.

None of the decals, Aust standards sticker or importer sticker (TI Industries, NSW) give any clues.

Bottom Bracket is stamped EC080155, however the C is stamped back to front!
Spicoli
Cool thread !!

My buddys Rampar was the 1st real bike that I remember from bitd...it was 78-79, and my buddy had a bright red Rampar with yellow Tuffs, double clamp stem, and those cool yellow Rampar pads...I'd like to build one like that someday...
n2o
Bridgecity, that pic you posted with the three bikes on the rack sure did bring back a fond memory. The silver R10 in that pic is exactly like mine was, except I think I had clear grips that had 6 flat sections like an octagon.

Thanks for posting that pic!

gts340
QUOTE (waza007 @ Feb 1 2008, 11:50 PM) *
This is one of mine. the other one is a reynolds

I think this is the exact frame my friend has hanging in his garage. It was his second BMX bike. His appears to be nickel but it had a transparent red powder coat on it. once it started to scratch up, he peeled it all off. It has Cycle Craft forks on it. I want to restore it for him because he doesn't have the means to do it these days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.