Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Freewheel Brand/size Question
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
RyanPartridge
I'm currently running a 44/16 with a Shimano freewheel. I dig Shimanos for their quiet factor, but they don't make a 14t. I want to experiment with a 39/14 but I don't know where to go when it comes to paying for a quality 14t freewheel.

Anyone know of a good 14t freewheel, and does anyone know of one that is quiet like Shimanos?

Thanks fellas!
LACK
Grease it up..quiet as can be. ACS are okay...I switched to Ciari Hubs and a white 16-t on a 20" and 18t on the cruiser from cassettes..cheap freewheels made me buy cassettes..which made me switch to white freewheels..lack
Tk77
I have an ACS, no problems with it. Middle of the road for loudness.
RyanPartridge
So ACS makes a good 14? And with some grease I can shut her mouth.

Just when I was about to say it's a bummer White doesn't make a 14t I noticed how much they cost.
npsarider
white freewheels are well worth the money
RyanPartridge
So, I guess I am bummed White doesn't make a 14.
Just JeffB now
QUOTE (npsarider @ Dec 28 2007, 02:54 AM) *
white freewheels are well worth the money

I have one, and I love it but don`t think it was worth the money. Are they worth more than any other freewheel? Oh yes.
The Riddler Al-F
White Industries are well worth the $$. You won't buy another freewheel because it broke. White is better than that. I run mine on a Kovachi Freewheel hub.

If you're an adult and you have some leg strength, you may not want to try the 14. I have talked to a couple of adults who claim they have stripped the smaller flip-flop side of the hub. (Both ran 41/15-20X1.75) It seems the smaller threaded surface area may not have supported the amount of power they were able to torque down on the rear wheel.

I'm not that big a guy or do I think that I would be able to do that, but some others claim this has happened to them. That is one of the advantages of Cassette hubs, they are able to support the smaller rear cog with superior strength.

Personally. 44/16 on a 20 is good and I am caught somewhere between 41/18 and 39/17 on Cruiser (1.75s on both 20/24)
psbmxer
be carefull with the grease. Making it quiet might just make it skip. If the grease gets cold and thick it will let the pawls slide right over the tooth and skip.
Secret Spin
Yea bad idea to put grease in a freewheel to make it quiet. If a freewheel is quiet that means watch out. The louder the noise the better the freewheel. A little extra noise that an ACS Claws provides will not be noticable at all after you ride it a couple weeks because ya get immune to it fast and it becomes no issue.
bighead
White Industries. 50/18 on the 20" and 45/20 on the cruiser. As far as the 14t stripping...that sounds like a problem with the hub not having enough shoulder on it for the freewheel to rest against.
Gino
My son is now 6. He went through 2 14 tootch acs freewheels last year. I finally had to put a larger on since I didn't trust them anymore.
RyanPartridge
Interesting. Thanks for all the info guys!
cheez
If quiet is that important, go with RL cassett, almost silent. Me, I could care less about the sound. My RL is suuuper quiet, and odysee is noisey. I like them both. I ditched free wheels because of all flip flop, 15 and under less durable, ACS, shimano, white drama. I wanna change gearing, it's as easy as replacing the cog.

Dito on the no grease'a the freewheel. Soak it in carb cleaner, then spray it out with carb spray, dry, and fill it up with a good chain lube until it runs out, spin it a few times and viola! If you know someone with an ultrasonic solvent tank, that works even better to get it clean.
BS
Ryan,

I ran an ACS Claw 14t on a Sun Super Stock flip flop hub for quite awhile and had no problems with the durability of the freewheel. They aren't the quietest in the world but it worked well for me...

until...

I stripped out the small side of my hub like was mentioned above. I dunno, I may have cross-threaded it but this was in a racing application with a lot of torque being applied during gate starts.

I would run it again though.

I've run one of those Odyssey 13t freewheels as well but I don't think they are quite as durable. I've had to replace them fairly frequently. This was in a dirt jumping/skatepark application.

I'm too cheap to run cassettes. So far.
RyanPartridge
QUOTE (BS @ Dec 28 2007, 02:55 PM) *
I'm too cheap to run cassettes. So far.

Me too. All my bikes but one are midschool bikes, so naturally they have freewheels.

I started this thread because I want to try out something different with my newschool/daily bike, but I'm running a regular flipflop hub on wheel that I bought used. Those Profile cassette hubs sure look rad but I don't really need to $pend that much on a new rear wheel right now. I just wanted to find out what my best options are for running a 39/14 on the crappy wheel I have now.
LACK
The anti grease guys! Yes I imagine if you packed the driver with wallmart axle grease it would clog up hahaha... Id never run a bearing or shim dry..never-ever-ever...

"Greases are typically used in areas where a continuous supply of oil cannot be retained, such as open bearings or gears. Factors to be considered when selecting greases are the type of grease, which in turn depends on operating temperatures, water resistance, oxidation stability etc. The second factor, no less important, are the grease's characteristics, including viscosity and consistancy."

Grease vs oils..
That is a debte that has been around since bearings..anyways every tech paper Ive read for bikes in drivers says to run grease..of course its always their own special brand grease..which is close to..PolyLube 1000 Lubricant (Tube)

and the debate

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/articl...oup=Lubrication
Elvis
ACS recommends its freewheels only be serviced with a non-synthetic oil, and that only. 3-in-1 oil was the specific recommendation. It was explained to me (in a phone call made in response to a thread posted some time ago) that synthetics, like Tri-Flow, work too well and can lead to skipping.

I've never gotten good service from anything <16t on the freewheel, although some have it that a Dicta, of all things, is actually a pretty good 14t.
psbmxer
I've sold a lot of ditca freewheels that have worked very good. The biggest issue with the ditca is that they are hard to get off the hub. The ACS has the better option for removal but by having room for the removal there are no bearings on the front side and only bearings on the back side. The ACS also has 4 pawls that make it louder. Should be more reliable with 4. The ditca only has 2 pawls but it has bearings on both back and front. I've sold a lot of both and both are good freewheels.
TrickStarRick
QUOTE (psbmxer @ Dec 29 2007, 10:50 AM) *
I've sold a lot of ditca freewheels that have worked very good. The biggest issue with the ditca is that they are hard to get off the hub. The ACS has the better option for removal but by having room for the removal there are no bearings on the front side and only bearings on the back side. The ACS also has 4 pawls that make it louder. Should be more reliable with 4. The ditca only has 2 pawls but it has bearings on both back and front. I've sold a lot of both and both are good freewheels.

I totally agree! Myson ran his stock proline JR entire season with out a FW prob using a dicta 14. Just cleaned out with brake cleaner and soaked in some 10w-30 a few times.But then I decided to upgrade his hubs and had to remove the Dicta. Hammer and chisel time!! ohmy.gif Bought a 14t ACS claws and mounted to new wheel set and assembled. Sounds like we put old baseball cards in his spokes laugh.gif But all in all I think the ACS is the Beefier FW for the $$$
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.