Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tange Forks
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Vintage BMX Racing
Monster-Robot
I see so many Tange forks on so many different brands of bikes. Can anyone provide a history or timeline of these forks?

I see TX-500 in both curved and straight blades. It's easy to find TX-1200s as both Tange or Mongoose. I assume that the TX-500s were earlier but were the curved and straight forks produced in the same time period or did one predate the other? Were there other desirable models?

Any info would be welcomed as I am mostly ignorant about this company that appears so prominently in my hobby.
B. Apold
QUOTE (Monster-Robot @ Dec 12 2007, 11:48 PM) *
I see so many Tange forks on so many different brands of bikes. Can anyone provide a history or timeline of these forks?

I see TX-500 in both curved and straight blades. It's easy to find TX-1200s as both Tange or Mongoose. I assume that the TX-500s were earlier but were the curved and straight forks produced in the same time period or did one predate the other? Were there other desirable models?

Any info would be welcomed as I am mostly ignorant about this company that appears so prominently in my hobby.

Okay, I know Tange forks were around in 75-76. My friend got them on his CYC MXR that year and they were the curved, like on my 78 CYC ames bike. So I'm guessing the curved were around 75-78 and then the straight forks came out around 79-81. Other than that, I don't know. I hope this helps and I know I'm close on those years. I have pics of both if you need them.
My brother bought a CYC black Panther in 79 or 80 and the straight forks were on his bike.
Ted Carl
I had straights in 79.

I think the TRX was about '80 ish.

When I had a job in the plating shop a couple years ago, they were doing a set of TRX forks for someone. I wish I would have found out who was having them done. I figured I'd have seen them at one of our gatherings by now. Nope....Someone was into it enough to have a set of TRX forks plated, you'd think we'd know who eventually. Guess not.

Anyway, I admired them while I was picking up my stuff, I always thought they were kind of cool forks. You could spot them almost as quick as a set of Bottema's with those dropouts. 25 years later, it still only took .3471 seconds to ID them on a bench at the plating shop.

BTW, I have a spare Tange I will never use. I can't remember which one it is though. a 600???? PM me if you need one. Cheap.
Ken Pliska
If you do a "Tange Forks" eBay search right now, you'll see that I have three different models on there currently.

Curved Leg TX-500 (those ones are date stamped May of 1977)

Straight Leg TX-500 (those ones are date stamped December of 1977)

Straight Leg (Pinched End) TX-1200 (those ones are date stamped April of 1979)

If memory serves, the Leading axle TX-1200 (looks like the 1980-1982 leading axle aftermarket catalog Schwinn forks) was prior to the pinched end TX-1200. Though, I have also seen this model sold with TX-500 decals in other markets.

TRX, ARX, and aluminum are all well past the era of these ones listed above.
proline2
in 1980 i had the straight TX-500's. these had the square cutouts in the dropouts where the TX-1200's had the round holes.
Ted Carl
Well I learned something from the thread. The ones I have are apparently 1200's. I knew there was a 6 or a 9 on them. Stamped J9, must be an Oct. 79 date code? FWIW, the price is right to anyone needing them.

(Edit: They just found a good home....V V V V V V V. wink.gif Cheers)
Reilley1
Early Tange TX500 with curved legs and brazed crown was available in 76.
Tange TX 500 (Cr-mo steerer and legs) square window cutouts, TX1200 (pinched end cr-mo steerer and mild steel legs) and TX1200W (CR-Mo steerer with mild steel legs ) with leading axle (round windows) were available in 78.
TRX was available in 79

Bunch of other forks too including the springer TX500 from 75
Greg_Hanna
TRX forks were the best!!! I raced and jumped on the same set of them from 1979-1986. They made my Thruster handle pefectly, the chopper angled Thruster forks were terrible!
boxline69
i need a set of trx's rolleyes.gif
Monster-Robot
Wow! If you haven't taken the time to check out the ones Ken has on eBay you should! Those are so sweet!

Here are the ones that I currently have (all assigned to frames):

waza007
lets not forget the even earlier tx100 and tx200 models
BenOr
The curved TX500 were out in early 1976. Ken nailed it with this fine tuning.
Steve Bourke
QUOTE (boxline69 @ Dec 13 2007, 03:50 PM) *
i need a set of trx's rolleyes.gif

i just listed two pair last night on ebay.
mongoosedrummer
These would be one of the pairs I assume?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-BMX-Early-Tang...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now I'm all fired up! Looks like more compulsive ebay purchases to drive a deeper wedge into my marriage this weekend! Thanks Steve... biggrin.gif
Ken Pliska
The ones in that link above ^^^^ are mine. You can hit "Seller's Other Items" and see more.
mongoosedrummer
Hey Ken, Cool... You rock dude! BTW, my 81 Canadian Goose is lookin' sweeeeet thanks in no small part to you buddy!

QUOTE (mongoosedrummer @ Dec 15 2007, 07:47 AM) *
Hey Ken, Cool... You rock dude! BTW, my 81 Canadian Goose is lookin' sweeeeet thanks in no small part to you buddy!

QUOTE (mongoosedrummer @ Dec 15 2007, 07:48 AM) *

For those red pads, I meant to say! Cheers.
ptrhahn
TRX's were great forks.

I broke the forks on my first race bike (a DB Silver Streak) soon after buying it, and replaced them with the TRX's which were on all my bikes (a Cook Bros., a mini Ripper, and a National Pro long), until my final PK Ripper got Landing Gear.

They were light, and had that cool slightly oval tubing. They withstood alot of punishment, and made everything handle well.
Hutch King
I have a mint set of trx's in white. for sale.

I also have candy blue trx's on my blue max and the supergoose I sold last year had a candy red pair. Great forks.
RandyS
QUOTE (waza007 @ Dec 14 2007, 05:58 AM) *
lets not forget the even earlier tx100 and tx200 models

Monster-Robot
Wow!!! Those are really sweet! With the box....nice! Have you ever ridden any? I keep looking but have never found a set, let alone an NOS set. I would want to use them for a build though. What's the future look like for these?

Here's some more of the TX-500 with date codes of '76, '77 and '78. The date codes are easy on these. It's a number "year" and letter "month" as the first digits of the code.

waza007
GEOV
QUOTE (mongoosedrummer @ Dec 14 2007, 03:06 PM) *
These would be one of the pairs I assume?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-BMX-Early-Tang...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now I'm all fired up! Looks like more compulsive ebay purchases to drive a deeper wedge into my marriage this weekend! Thanks Steve... biggrin.gif

My wife says if I only had as much passion for her as I do my bikes.
redlinenz
LOL GLOV
What does 2H mean stamped on them? has Tear drop dropouts.
Monster-Robot
QUOTE (redlinenz @ Aug 29 2008, 06:32 PM) *
LOL GLOV
What does 2H mean stamped on them? has Tear drop dropouts.

August 1982
Capt. Nemo
Can anyone tell me what THESE are. They are stamped Tange, Made in Japan with the numbers 05 next to the Tange stamp.

Volcano
Lovin' those TX 100's Waz!!! good2.gif
waza007
i think they must be TX200's
Monster-Robot
May 1975 Ad

Criscobath
Had a set of Gold TRXs on my childhood Mag Scrambler and loved them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.