Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zeronine Mid
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Mid School BMX
old-skull
Figured I post it up before I tear it down again. Not happy with they way it came out. I need to change out the bars, cranks and wheels. Have a set of 175 cranks on the way. 180's seam way to big for the bike. The 1.75 are also to big for the frame. I have a set of 1.50 that I am fixing up. And the GT bars are HUGE for this size frame. Tell you what thou, this bike is a loop-out machine. Ended up on my but a couple of times!

Any suggestions are more than welcome

Old-skull

Break down:
Zeronine mid F&F
GT Santa Anna pro bars
Ame grips
DK pro stem
My last # plate that I actually raced with
MX 1000's
Zeronine pad set
180 Sugino cranks
Suntour Pedals
Tuff neck chainring
no-name power disk
Araya rims with GT hubs ( I refinished them)
Comp X's
Mid school GT seat post
Kashimax seat
Tuff neck seat post clamp

Ressurrector
Duuuude..
that's what I'm talking about bro.. F-ing sweet man.. good job. I like everything about it.. well other than I'm not sitting on it smile.gif
-looks great
~T
old-skull
Thanks,
I am still thinking about the list, so I havent forgotten about ya.

Old-skull
tntman
thats a cyclecraft frame.. not a zeronine
race_inc
thats a cyclecraft frame.. not a zeronine

Hmmmm........
race_inc
If I'm not mistaken, the rear dropouts on the Zeronine frames were totally underneath the chainstay and were not connected to the seatstay at all as in the pic below:

Here's a Cyclecraft frame:

tntman
race_inc.. you are correct
Ressurrector
oh word?
old-skull
Zeronine had 3 different types of frames.

The one like Race inc's pic and my blue one.

Then they had the same drop outs plus a guestt around the head tube.

Then they had one like the white one. Cyclecraft made quite a lot of frames for Zeronine. If you ever see a 09 cruiser they have the same drop outs as this. Essentially 09's ARE redecaled Cyclecrafts.

Plus I got this F&F off of BND. His buddie bought it new BITD.

Here is my blue 09er
race_inc
Anyone else seen a Zeronine with the Cyclecraft drop outs? So what year/years did Zeronines have the Cyclecraft dropouts?
Nbl 49a
So is the common thought the red and blue style frames were not made by Cycle Craft? I thought all the frames were made by CC but they look a lot like they maybe were made by Mcs. Any thoughts?

Nbl 49a
bigwavedave
http://www.digistash.com/showpic.php?uuid=...&pid=120670
1987? cruiser. Hope link works.
Nbl 49a
QUOTE (bigwavedave @ Nov 27 2007, 09:26 AM) *

Dave,

No luck buddy. You may just want to use photobucket it is very easy.

Nbl 49a
bigwavedave
Try this link to the whole album. It is set to public. If that does not work, then I give up.
http://www.digistash.com/showalbum.php?aid...1&uuid=5938
orngestrzgrnclvrz
those are some nice zeronine's. that front is stuffed in there on the whitey! seems to be a few of us CT folk on here.
old-skull
Just rying to keep it real!!(CT)

As far as the drop out goes here is what I thought:

The drop outs like on the white 09= Early mid 80's

The drop outs like on the Blue and Red 09= mid/late 80's to early 90's

HRP thinks that the "later" style drop outs came first. He has a real cool shot of him sitting on his bike BITD.

I could have this all wrong thou. Will not be the first time I made a mistake.
Have been meaning to drop Owen Shepman a EM to ask him about the F&F's. Just dont know how to go about doing it. The questions I have could fill a couple of pages.

Race-inc is that your 09? That is a killer ride right there.

Bigwave, is that the cruiser that was on E-Bay last year?
old-skull
bnd
Looks great!

b.
HRPdesigns
The white one is definitely a real zeronine and it has the first generation stickers on it also.

HRP thinks that the "later" style drop outs came first. He has a real cool shot of him sitting on his bike BITD.

Actually here is the deal with the drop outs as I remember them in my own instance. I had my laser light stolen at the January 85 war of the stars in Miami. So I was in need of a bike ASAP when I got home. That was about the time zeronines were coming out and I wanted a black one very bad, but because of the urgency of my situation and the black one not being available, I told them to send me a chrome Pro and ended up having the first zeronine in Alabama. I had the underneath drop outs on mine. Well when mine came in, it was so sweet that everyone at the shop and our team wanted one, so my teammate ordered a white one. When his showed up it was just like the white one above with the cyclecraft dropouts. Several others came in over the next year or so and I think most of the white ones were the cyclecraft model and the chrome and black (once they started showing up) were all like mine. I could not tell you which came first and I would say they may have all been produced at the same time. The cruisers look like free agent or CW dropouts too me so who really knows where or by who they were made.

This was mine:

Some other info, the first gen stickers all had WORKS on the seat tube and had the big geometric shapes, the other pictures are from second and third generation stickers with the smaller shapes that look like confetti, and the size on the seat tube.

Old Skull, I have to give one small thought about your bike. When that frame first came out I am not sure those pads would have been available yet. The hollow geometric shapes were later in the zeronine graphics chain. more like 86 or 87 and I think your frame may be 84 or 85. Granted if you had the frame for more than a year or so the two would have overlapped. Just not sure what level of restore you are looking for. Also I will say that my memory of dates and such are not as accurate as it might have once been. But i think what I have said is accurate.
Ressurrector
So Zeronine it is then.. good.. it really is clean man.. hurry with that list bro wink.gif
~T
old-skull
Thanks for the info HRP. I sort of figured that but a race bike needs a pad set. On the good side that clears up this pad set to throw on one of my other 09's.

T,

Get that list out to you tonight.

Old-skull
Ressurrector
QUOTE (old-skull @ Nov 28 2007, 05:06 PM) *
T,

Get that list out to you tonight.

Old-skull

please do dude, I'm fiending over here wink.gif
gossa
AHHHH!!!! A zeronine thread!!! Cool!!!!!

I can shed some light and add some confusion here! I rode for Zeronine here in the UK and had the first one in Europe in 1985 and rode for them through to 88.

Here's my first 09, these pics taken early 86. My understanding is that these were made in the USA by CW as Owen Scheppman (09 owner) and Roger Worsham (CW owner) were good buddies.

Here's my third zeronine, this pic taken from the World Champs in Orlando 1987. This frame bent at this race, the whole back end bent coing out of the gate. Owen was there and gave me a new frame out of the trunk of his car, that frame is the chrome one pictured in the last shot, notice the dropouts are regular and not under the stays, it's like the cruiser pictured in this thread? My understanding is that this blue frame and the last chrome one were taiwanese made. Some had head gussetts, some didn't. I've never seen a 09 with the cyclecraft style dropouts over here in Europe.

I'm emailing Owen to get the full lowdown, will keep you posted guys and gals!
jonnyc
QUOTE (gossa @ Dec 14 2007, 06:20 PM) *
AHHHH!!!! A zeronine thread!!! Cool!!!!!

I can shed some light and add some confusion here! I rode for Zeronine here in the UK and had the first one in Europe in 1985 and rode for them through to 88.

Here's my first 09, these pics taken early 86. My understanding is that these were made in the USA by CW as Owen Scheppman (09 owner) and Roger Worsham (CW owner) were good buddies.

Here's my third zeronine, this pic taken from the World Champs in Orlando 1987. This frame bent at this race, the whole back end bent coing out of the gate. Owen was there and gave me a new frame out of the trunk of his car, that frame is the chrome one pictured in the last shot, notice the dropouts are regular and not under the stays, it's like the cruiser pictured in this thread? My understanding is that this blue frame and the last chrome one were taiwanese made. Some had head gussetts, some didn't. I've never seen a 09 with the cyclecraft style dropouts over here in Europe.

I'm emailing Owen to get the full lowdown, will keep you posted guys and gals!

yeah you were pants 85 to 88 you never came good til 89, who got you the ride on zeronine mammy?
gossa
QUOTE (jonnyc @ Dec 15 2007, 12:27 AM) *
yeah you were pants 85 to 88 you never came good til 89, who got you the ride on zeronine mammy?

jonnyc, don't know or care who you are but 4th in the European Championships in 1986, highest ranked Bristish Rider in class and 1987/88 UK National Champion made me pretty good so why don't you leave this thread for people that are interested in the bikes eh?
zero9pro24
Here`s my unrestored 85 Pro24 that belonged to Paul Neal, he was a factory rider and rep for Zeronine from 85 to 88.
gossa
QUOTE (zero9pro24 @ Dec 15 2007, 02:29 AM) *
Here`s my unrestored 85 Pro24 that belonged to Paul Neal, he was a factory rider and rep for Zeronine from 85 to 88.

Sweet ride 09pro! I had a chrome cruiser like that in 87. Zeronine seems to have quite a hidden history in comparison to other more mainstream brands whose identity has been well documented. I guess we should be seeing some Ronnie Anderson pics right about now?
gossa
QUOTE (jonnyc @ Dec 15 2007, 09:29 AM) *
GOSSA

just seeing if you would bite.

thanks for the history lesson i no your a uk legend buddy C the fans love you.

your up there with stompin stu thomson in the uk i just hope you dont decide to become a sherif in orange county it seems the norm for old bmxers at the moment.

ANYWAYS YOU GUYS I HAVE HEARD ON THE GRAPEVINE THERE ARE 2 OR 3 OLD FRAMES GOING UP FOR SALE ON

oldskoolukbmx.com

and one of them is zeronine the other was a phase 1 or something lke that anyone know what a phase 1 is?

check out the sales on oldskoolukbmx.com over the next couple of days.

Jonny, Phase 1 is a CW with the 'Z' in the frame if memory serves..........I'll keep a lookout on OSUKBMX
old-skull
Awesome pics! It is cool to see some 09's from across the pond. There is a French site that has a ton of pics on them but they are all thumb nail size.

gossa:

Please keep us up to date with Owen. If you need any questions please PM me. Have a ton of them.

Old-skull
gossa
Hi guys, for those interested, just got an email update from Owen (Owen Scheppman, ZeroNine founder), here's his take on who made what when:

Hi Clive. The history on ZeroNine frames as I can best remember. I could be wrong on some of this stuff, so if you disagree or wish to ask me more questions I would be most happy to discuss. I wish I had a memory card available, back in the early 80's we were lucky to own a computer.

Frame History:We started by having them made by Joe Martino at CycleCraft in Tennessee. He made about 150 sets for us. I believe CC made us white, black and chrome, they were called the "mid" and "pro". It later became apparent that he wouldn't be able to keep us supplied. So we started looking around for another supplier. The second wave of frames were made in Taiwan. We re-designed the decals with the cafetti shapes on all 20" Pro, 20" ProXL and 24" Pro Crusier. These 20" were sold in Chrome, White, Black, Blue and Red; the 24" were Chrome, Black and White. Complete Bike History:We designed the Freestyle Bike and had a complete 20" bike made in Taiwan in the colors, White, Red, Blue and Black not sure if we made a chrome one. Roger Worsham of CW built the freestyle bike for us in Taiwan at his contractors factory.

If you guys have any questions, please email me and i'll see what else I can find out. clivegosling@hotmail.co.uk
gossa
Hi Zeronine fans, just wanted to update you on my 'project', got a tidy Pro XL off ebay in Decemeber, one of the first gen taiwanese ones and i'm restoring it to look like my original black cyclecraft made one, i'm doing pretty good with the same spec as the original, having fun doing it too. I have all my original 1986 'Factory Rider' uniform and even gear bag, just can't fit into any of it now! LOL!

Ressurrector
I love it Gossa!! any idea where I can score some decal sets? repro's ok.
~T
gossa
QUOTE (Ressurrector @ Mar 17 2008, 12:52 AM) *
I love it Gossa!! any idea where I can score some decal sets? repro's ok.
~T

Well I have seen repops of the 'confettit' graphics off of the Taiwanese batch frames but never seen repops of the first gen Cyclecraft frames. Luckily there is an original bike locally that i managed to borrow and i sat down with my brother in law (designer) and he redrew them last week. We're just trying to find one font, if not we'll have to draw some of the wording.

You'll notice on my black frame I have a first gen cyclecraft decal on the fork leg (that's an original one from the depths of my sticker box) and I have a confetti style one on the seat tube (again NOS), that one will be removed and replaced with a full set of the gen1 graphics.

I'll get some other sets made when I get mine done. Cheers zeronine fans!
Ressurrector
QUOTE (gossa @ Mar 18 2008, 02:49 AM) *
Well I have seen repops of the 'confettit' graphics off of the Taiwanese batch frames but never seen repops of the first gen Cyclecraft frames. Luckily there is an original bike locally that i managed to borrow and i sat down with my brother in law (designer) and he redrew them last week. We're just trying to find one font, if not we'll have to draw some of the wording.

You'll notice on my black frame I have a first gen cyclecraft decal on the fork leg (that's an original one from the depths of my sticker box) and I have a confetti style one on the seat tube (again NOS), that one will be removed and replaced with a full set of the gen1 graphics.

I'll get some other sets made when I get mine done. Cheers zeronine fans!

Please keep me and Old Skull in mind about those decals. Again, I love your collection!
~T
cameron2368
Hi Guys, great to see a zeronine topic as this is my first post, I have a 84 1st gen Zeronine Works Pro frame and fork made by Cyclecraft which I purchased last year. The only differences I can see from the other frames posted is the brake bridge and lower rear chain stay bracket are plates instead of the more common tubing (correct me if I am wrong). The forks have C9 stamped into the right drop-out and the rear drop-out has C09 stamped. Frame has been well used and still has orginal stickers, really looking forward to restoring it after viewing the other bikes on this post.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm115/c...ll/RIMG0007.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm115/c...ll/RIMG0008.jpg
old-skull
Just picked up one myself! Very nice, looking forward to seeing it built up along with the other 09's in this thread.

Old-skull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.