Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st Issue Of Freestylin'
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Freestyle BMX
King of Pipeline
I'm sure every member here has a copy of this magazine. I got a few myself, but I never seen it sell for so high, usually it's about 30.00 - 50.00..... Now this magazine has reached the Ebay hell, of high costs.. Glad I bought mine when it was a 25.00 magazine..http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=013
BOB-O
that's pretty high.the one thing is it still has the poster.
it looks to be in real great shape.
i have one also, i got it for free but, no poster..
DansHaros
I think th letter adds value. Price is roght on the money, IMO.
King of Pipeline
I remember getting that first issue in the mail wondering what that was. I remember the letter also. I think that little typed letter did add about 60.00 more of value...
psammy
wow....what memories, but man that was a cool day when that mag was in the mailbox, and the poster went on the bedroom wall. many hours spent poring over the pages. would have never occurred to me to buy two copies of everything to sell 23 yrs. later!?!
psycho
I remember gettin mine in the mail. Still have it but no letter or poster. I about had a heart attack when i saw it. I wanted nothing more than to have GT Pro Performer. Ended up with a white master, Dang the luck huh.
King of Pipeline
Hard to believe that magazine still is like the best of the best. About 6 years ago, I was buying up those magazines on Ebay like they were going out of style.. I have 7 copies of that first issue.. Not sure why either.. And multiple copies of all the others. I just stocked up..
dayride
I found that issue and the first issue of Homeboy at an Estate sale (along with an 85 chrome master F&F, green tuffs, radberry peregrines, Forklifter stem, Tioga seatpost and CW bars). The whole lot cost 30.00.
Brian C
I'm looking for decent copies of the first three issues if anyone wants to part with them. All I have for trade is an extra Sept '85 (Back to the streets issue).

PM or email me.

I wanted to see what that issue would go for. When I first saw it, I thought $100, as the auction went on I thought $125 when it ended I thought, what was 80skid proxy?!
Jeff V
Well it IS the first issue and all...I have numerous extra issues that I would trade towards a few of the early issues myself.
Maurice Meyer
Yeah, that letter has to account for alot of the price. I'd like to have the letter myself. The guy who won that lives near me but we haven't met yet. I've got a few copies of issue #1 all with the posters. One reader and 2 or 3 stored copies. I'm a narcicistic bastage though. I think I need like one or two Go issues to complete the set. I have an issue 2 still in the clear sealed mailer with my own address label on it but the coolest thing I found in my stuff a while back was this pre-release pamphlet:

I like where they talk about skateboarding as "something new". They probably had this at Interbike - when it was a little old show in Reno.
dayride
Maurice, the pic of you doing an endo in that first issue is one of my favorite pics of all time.

Do you take your reader down to the park and sit with the page open to that pic and wait for someone to recognize you? "Why yes mam that is me if you would like I could sign your chest."
King of Pipeline
Ha ha,,,, Is that Fiola doing the crossed endo in that ad?
agentheinz
Yeah, that one does look mint and has all the extras...more than I would pay, but considering the condition and all it's not so out of whack.

I still want a copy of the "Meet the Street" issue, with AJ's skateboard on the cover. I missed bidding on one in good shape and the thing went for twelve bucks...I'd have gladly paid that.
80sKid
QUOTE (Brian C @ Nov 24 2007, 04:47 AM) *
I'm looking for decent copies of the first three issues if anyone wants to part with them. All I have for trade is an extra Sept '85 (Back to the streets issue).

PM or email me.

I wanted to see what that issue would go for. When I first saw it, I thought $100, as the auction went on I thought $125 when it ended I thought, what was 80skid proxy?!

Our proxy bid was? :-) We usually would snipe bid but since we are still away on vacation in HK this did not give us a chance to bid via the snipe bid method. This is a lot more then we wanted to pay but we are done with it and won't need a 2nd issue. OK we need a reader beater issue. The last one with poster sold for only $50 some weeks ago. That went under our radar. Because of my roots here in the Bay and SF this 1st issue was sentimental.
King of Pipeline
IT seems a 1st issue appears about once a month or so. There will be another one soon. If you can get any issue of Freestylin' for under 30.00 is a steal. There are only so many copies of that magazine left. Seems everybody that has them, won't ever part with them...

I remember I got one of my 1st issues for 5.00, when I was the only bidder. about a year ago...
King of Pipeline
For all you true Freestylin' collectors, this book made by BMXA is the absolute Holy Grail, of Freestylin books. I remember buying my copies for well over 100.00. And it's worth every penny....
http://cgi.ebay.com/BMX-Action-Freestylin-...1QQcmdZViewItem
HimJill
Funny, I got the 1st issue signed by Ron about 7 years ago and I remember him just looking at me like "Wow, this is old."
I am only missing 2 issue's and my subscription to Go! ran out in Feb '91.

Anybody got (I think) Mar and Apr 1987 Freestylin' ?
My BMXA collection is hit or miss from '81 on I think
BMX Plus??? I got a lot of those but who cares? LOL laugh.gif
King of Pipeline
Who cares about BMX Plus! oh come on.... well, I understand,, it does suck.. But I spent alot of money completing that collection.. I have every issue.... That magazine just gets worse every year. I look at it for 5 minutes and then put it in a box, never to look at it again..
Grinder
QUOTE (King of Pipeline @ Nov 25 2007, 04:27 PM) *
For all you true Freestylin' collectors, this book made by BMXA is the absolute Holy Grail, of Freestylin books. I remember buying my copies for well over 100.00. And it's worth every penny....
http://cgi.ebay.com/BMX-Action-Freestylin-...1QQcmdZViewItem

I have a copy of this book in very good condition if anyone is interested. Also have Freestylin II the book and several copies of The Complete Book of BMX. All by Bob Osborn.
King of Pipeline
contact me about the book????
Brian C
I'm still looking for a copy of the first issue....

PM or email me
Brian C
QUOTE (Brian C @ Dec 7 2007, 04:11 AM) *
I'm still looking for a copy of the first issue....

PM or email me

Bump!
J.T.
Lookin' for this???

Brian C
I'd take one w/o Ron's Signature too! wink.gif
King of Pipeline
I had him sign a few of mine.. Can't tell what it says though, he was drunk or high when he signed it.. That first issue is one of the few BMX must have issues.
Brian C
I think Wilker spent a few years like that! He's straightened out now, recently married, moved the 2-Hip office/warehouse, etc.

Anyway, who will sell me copies of issue #1,2 and 3? Hook a brotha up for the Holidays!
King of Pipeline
Where did he move the offices and warehouse to? I was there last summer and the offices were at his house and the garage/warehouse... Anybody got any pics of the new setup?
Brian C
Not sure. Last time I ordered bikes he said he was downtown Santa Cruz within pedalling distance from a Bike Park. They had everything in stock for once!
King of Pipeline
Why not, when I worked for him, last year it sucked.. Now he's down there.. Maybe I would have liked the job better then.. The bike park right by the ocean.. That's all I did when I was down there, was go on the boardwalk and hang around...
Brian C
Anyway, who has issue 1,2 and 3 for sale while I have Christmas $$$.?
J.T.
The warehouse is great and long overdue!

The park is cool and is a bike only park with a little of everything...I'll post pictures later.

I'll see what I have for duplicates but these are gnarly and would be hard to part with them.
hollywood763
when I got mine in the mail (I had a BMXA subscription) it also came with a pee-chee with RL and Buff doing an arial.
no letter though.
J.T.
Santa Cruz bike park

King of Pipeline
I wonder how they got that place a bike park only? When I was down there, I rode that place. The best part about it, is it's right across from the ocean and the boardwalk. That is a major piece of real estate there.
It was fun to ride there, just cause of the atmosphere. I suppose skaters ride it all the time still, but, When I went down there, I hang out there... Great place..
King of Pipeline
I wonder how they got that place a bike park only? When I was down there, I rode that place. The best part about it, is it's right across from the ocean and the boardwalk. That is a major piece of real estate there.
It was fun to ride there, just cause of the atmosphere. I suppose skaters ride it all the time still, but, When I went down there, I hang out there... Great place..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.