Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teams recruiting at the Grands
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Pages: 1, 2
bmx668
Let me know how you fell about this. There was a certain team recruiting very aggressively at the Grands this year. They approached several of my riders during the motos and one particular rider just before the mains. Now maybe its just me being a little defensive about outside teams talking to my riders or could it be that it shows a lack of respect for not only me but the fact that a rider whos about to go up and compete in the biggest race of the season has to deal with some TM filling his head up with nonsense, when he should be left to focus on the race at hand.

Next time the classy way to recruit a rider would be to wait till the races are over and then their free game to recruit. Show some class and maybe you wouldn't have to try and buy riders.

Carlos Perez
TM Factory Felt
npsarider
was it dans comp
Bags1
Carlos,

The problem is the Grands is the one time where everyone is together and let's face it, once the mains start running, everyone starts packing up and leaving. So I can see why someone would try to get the signatures on the dotted line. I personally would not do that, but I did ask a few people for who I have a personal relationship with what their intentions were for the upcoming season, but that was it.

So, I do not condone "aggressive recruiting" but talking with folks is within reason, IMO.
bmx dad
Carlos...it happens, I have seen it happen for many years. You, however are very much a class act.
It was a pleasure trying to blow up your team sheet at the races we were at together, and once Josh and Matt both quit banging each other and raced they actually had awsome races. Matt is a good kid, a great rider, but at the Grands it just wasn't his day, he will have his time, definately a great rider. Please let his Dad know that when he pointed at me after the main it really meant a lot, and the congrats later as well. It took Josh 10 years to accomplish this and he has definately paid his dues...and been very close at 5 times #2.
Best of luck in the future with your team and to your riders Josh raced this past year. Thank you for all your hospitality, I hope we can return the favor sometime.
Take care and talk soon.
Bob
p.s. And about that conversation we had after the races, regarding the Lear Jet....call me!!!!!
bmx668
Bags, Asking someone what they're intentions are and laying out a full proposal are two different things. Theres a time and a place for everything. Bags you are welcome to come by my pit anytime.

Bob, thanks for the nice words about Matt Kelty, he and Josh battled hard all year long and I've had conversations with Matt and his father they have the upmost respect for Josh and his riding skills. Congats on a great year and I'm gasing the jet as we speak...LOL.
NBKA-SENSEI
All is fair in love and war.. it is a dog eat dog world!!!
This no different that any other relationship
you treat your partner right they will not go anywhere, if there happy people can talk to them all day long and they will go no where.
bmx668
Sensei, your words of wisdom are inspiring...lol
pquinnbmx
Teams, schmeames
pquinnbmx
BMX is way more of an individual sport by nature, anyhow. Sure, it's great to hang out with friends on a team, but recruiting is for the birds.
jlindsay
If you're talking about me Carlos I have nothing to hide, I talked to a few of your riders along with riders on other teams, but there were no offers made and my number was not given out until after the mains.
Jayson Lindsay
Team Manager OFR
Jud Ciancio
Hey Carlos,

Is JT available? Because the 3 35x's I have on my team aren't cutting it. Maybe I should have made him an offer on the gate right before it dropped in our 35x main.

You know I'm just kidding. Your team was awesome this year.

Jud Ciancio
BMX Superstar
droiddad
We used to have an "over agressive" team manager locally. I think that was the summer I first heard the description "team pimp".
K Robison
Where was all of this recruiting going on? What, no one wants a soon to be 42 year old motofill? I promise to at least once a year wreck someone else's teamsheet!

Next year, I'm wearing a sandwich board........
Tony Spencer
quote:
Jud Ciancio
BMX IronMan

Fixed that for ya.
hbr
quote:
Next year, I'm wearing a sandwich board........
Sandwich??

I hear ya Carlos, you can still have honor in love and war.

Bags has some learning to do, but I'll get him straight and you really don't want him in your pit........I'll tell ya later

Congrats to you Myers boys too, way cool
bmx dad
Dang Todd....you can spell sandwich right but not MEYERS yet.....how do you spell hoagie???
Thanks...and I owe you a couple as I was way unprepared after the races.
Bmx Dad
BlackCrown Rider
Dang....

I just wished a TM would speak to me. Do old cruiser riders not get any team offers?
LACK
Old cruiser riders start teams. lack
BlackCrown Rider
I hear ya lack, it was good to meet you. Congrats on being in the main.
bmx668
I don't come on here too often and when I do I try and keep it as positive as possible. I won't call anyone out on a public forum it's just not my style. Todd, you're absolutly right there can be honor and respect in love and war.

Every rider on my team is free game to be spoken to and recruited from now until they're signed by me or another team. Once they have signed it should be an unwritten rule amongst us that its hands off. If a rider once signed on a team reaches out to another team then go right ahead and speak with them, apparently they're not happy where they are and would like to leave. Be wary of that type of rider he might just be trying to play one side against the other. Or maybe all of the above is just a bunch of bulls**t and we should just cut each others throats and have battle royales in the pits every weekend...lol.
Tony Spencer
"No Comment"
HRPdesigns
quote:
Dang....

I just wished a TM would speak to me. Do old cruiser riders not get any team offers?

Rob, my new teams season is starting in January, but you would have to run a twentyH number plate, so I doubt you would be interested...
excalibur
This post is for national nbl teams not team nbl in the spirit of competition at the highest level.I feel as if felt won the team title.if you break down how the team that finished first got thiers it was by bringing in top aba riders from teams not competeing in the nbl and some great south american riders who dont support the nbl on any other level than be a team score from a team willing to buy a title.Also they have a rider come in and race the grands as thier only race of the year.The problem with that is these riders dont support the league with competition or dollars as much as the other teams do.And they race so little they dont have the financial or mental strain.And last but not least using someone who competes as a pro in one league and just a girl in the other.I am in no way saying it is against the rules but as a team owner I want to compete with other teams that have a roster of nbl riders racing at least a fair amount of races.To me a team ought to be riders you like believe in and want to hang out with and in the end you get the result you deserve.Why shouldnt we the team owners and managers get togather and put some decent guidelines that make it a competitive series.My thoughts are 1.teams can cap out at 750 or 800 points if it takes you 8 or 15 races thats the cap. 2.riders must race at least enough races to qualify for the grands 6 or 8. 3.national Teams should limit riders to 25 or 30. 4.the deadline to change teams should be after the florida races by then rosters should be frozen.(why take care of a rider till close to the end just to have someone offer something they wont deliver then kill a good team off the track and not on it.)These are some of my thoughts and I enjoyed our first season and have picked my riders for 2008 way before the grands.Congradulations to all the real teams out there great job.Look out for Team Excalibur/Rockstar 2008 we are bringing it.I would also like to abide by the unwritten rule felt does ask the tm if you can talk to a rider. Bruce Balay 317-213-3955 call me
Jud Ciancio
Maybe a good way to settle recruiting disputes would be to have the team managers race for the riders.

Carlos... I'll race you for Kelty, JT and Buck.
excalibur
It would be cool to see the top nbl teams go to the aba grands or rockford to see who the real deal is.I like bmx whichever org it is in.Or maybe aba teams go to the Christmas classic or our grands.
Mike Fields
Go to Disney.
K Robison
Stu,

I'll have that twentyH plate looking pretty once I get my 20 built up.

Good to finally meet you at the Grands.

Ken
MoshB
dang Carlos my proxy was caught?
Don't sweat it though we are just a state team!
Don't forget our deal - I wash the jet weekly for Dylan, right?

Mr. Meyers tell Josh CONGRATS!
BIGCHEZ
Come to the Disney Cup (ABA) but no ABA membership needed. 3 days of National racing, 2 team sheets per day (per team), total score of all 6 sheets....$2500 to the highest score. Good time for the NBL teams to face off with the ABA teams.
LeadSled1
quote:
And last but not least using someone who competes as a pro in one league and just a girl in the other.
quote:
D. A person wishing to obtain a 20” license may apply for full membership at any proficiency level either at or above that at which he has previously raced either as part of the National Bicycle League or under another recognized sanction, except for the Elite class. Anyone not meeting the age requirement for the Elite class will be allowed to race open class only.
I swear you team geeks need to read the rules sometimes. Too late now.

OFR did the same with the ABA riders before. No harm, no foul. We should be glad we have those guys over in the NBL side to mix things up.
Bags1
If you guys decide to drop any of those 3 35X's, let me know. I'd sign any of them and give them my right nut......

Carlos,

I'll stop by the next race and get through the introductions. Don't listen to Todd, he's just mad that Peggy kept "accidentally" coming into my room at the hotel every night.......
bmxbum14
Jesse - She raced in the 16 girl class, not the open class. We did questioned it at the NBL Trailer. (Not that we really minded it personally, it was way cool when an amateur girl beat her )
LeadSled1
There were two in the 15 girls class. The winner and another. I think that is what they are talking about.

Seems like a lot of that going on.
bmxbum14
There are two on the same team - 15 girl & 16 girl - never thought about the younger one, the older one is in the birth year of the Jr. Women class, she should have not had a choice. I'll have to look at the 15 girl class to see who the third one was.
maverick
Jess- the girl that won the 15 girls class held her license with the NBL first (I believe) and has only raced the ABA grands at the higher class. Therefore I don't think any rules were broken.
LeadSled1
It actually doesn't matter which license you have first. Once you are upgraded in one sanction you are to upgrade in the other sanction or forfit your points if you are caught racing after not upgrading.

The verbage of the rule is something like:

When a rider is reclassified to a higher proficiency level in another sanction, they must immediately notify the NBL office and upgrade in the NBL.
maverick
I understand your point. I think it's unfair for the NBL to say you can only run open because you don't meet the age requirements for the higher proficiency.
bmxbum14
I don't think she had a choice - we were told that the NBL doesn't recognize girls as pros (or something like that, I can't remember the exact quote now) when we tried to have our daughter moved up to Jr. Women because she was wanted to move up in the ABA.
bmx668
Conman's dad, we will be at the ABA Disney race this year. Felt has an ABA team that competes all year on the ABA circuit.

A couple of the top NBL riders will join them at that race which includes, Kelty, Taylor, Smith, Banser and Henderson.
Tony Spencer
quote:
upgraded in one sanction you are to upgrade in the other sanction or forfit your points if you are caught racing after not upgrading.
Not exactly.
hbr
quote:
1.teams can cap out at 750 or 800 points if it takes you 8 or 15 races thats the cap. 2.riders must race at least enough races to qualify for the grands 6 or 8. 3.national Teams should limit riders to 25 or 30.
Bruce, congrats on a great job w/ Excalibur this year. I appreciate you putting you thoughts out here.

Team cap - why would the sanction want teams to stop attending races when they get capped?

Rider limit - why would the sanction want to be the cause of a bunch of kids losing their ride?

I don't mind change, but not just for the sake of leveling the playing field for unjustified reasons.

Not sure I agree with the comments about Dan's either. Teri wins within the rules she's presented and has been winning under different rules for years.

Disney is having a race?

[ September 06, 2007, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: hbr ]
excalibur
Team cap because why does rider classes have a cap?After you cap out which will take 8 or 10 races which only a few teams hit more than 10.Then you play defense to keep other teams from capping out or earn money.Or even more importantly have fun.Again this is for national level teams.Rider limits are because any professional sports team has limits if a team had fifty riders and hit ten races you could only use a rider once on a sheet so is it ok to have as many riders as you want so every one has a ride.If you want you can run 2 nat teams but if you have no limit what stops someone from picking up all the talent loading a team up then not doing what was promised just to kill a team off the track.This is some guidlines for professional racing at the national team level.I never said anyone was doing anything against the rules but by using riders from big aba teams who are brought in just for a team sheet with NO desire to go for a national number for the rider or use people from other countries just for a team sheet when all of my riders hit local,state regional and national races and make a financial impact collectivly to the nbl and another team doesnt.Im sure when the nbl wanted a team series it was for nbl riders.Dans won titles forever just think they could tap nbl talent not go outside the nbl to do it.The professional sports and race teams all have player limits and even salary caps I just think all the riders need to compete in the nbl for the season not just the big races.If a team made it to the superbowl or world series and somenew players took the field the fans would be shocked.I dont have a problem loosing to anyone just would like to see the nbl benifit from whos competeing in thier team series.
excalibur
[ September 06, 2007, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: bmxinc ]
bmx668
I feel so long as you qualify for a national plate it really doesn't matter what coast or ABA team you ride for. I really didn't keep track of which Dan's riders were qualified or not, but I do agree that to use a rider on a team sheet you should at least have the minimum races. As far as foreign riders go the same applies complete the minimum number of qualifiers and you're good to go.

The "Cap' can be looked at in both ways, yes it will give teams the opportunity to compete at the Grands for a national title but in the same respect aren't you also rewarding mediocrity.

What we don't want to do is make up rules just to be able to beat Dan's. If thats the case why don't we just ban them from the NBL and tell them thats its our ball and they can't play anymore. Terri Sonner has won 500 nationals titles and no one has been able to convict her of breaking any rules. She finds loop holes and plays the game very well, you almost have to admire her cunning.

[ September 06, 2007, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: bmx668 ]
hbr
Please note I appreciate the discussion and no offense is meant..............

Playing defense after your team is capped for $1200 worth of entry fees every weekend doesn't sound like fun to me.

Honestly, what are the point of these proposed new rules? To level the money aspect of things? That's what it really comes down to. Well maybe not, because I'm not sure if we gave Carlos TWICE as much money he could beat Teri

I say there is basically a "cap" on team points anyways. We cap at 10 races.

Lets give every team that qualifies with 10 races a shot at the title. Make team points at the Grands quadruple points. If we just cap team points we may as well just go with winner of the Grands takes takes the title and forget spending all our money on the series.

Rider limits and defining her racers as ABA kids.......I aint buying neither of those.
excalibur
I dont think anyone is breaking rules at all.Just all riders on a national team should be qualified for a national number at the grands dans has alot of good riders that compete in the nbl alot just a thought that the riders should be looking to end the year with a title for them as well as the team.
LeadSled1
I am not implying there was cheating. I just want the NBL to sack up and state wether the women are pros or are they ams. What happens the first time we have an ABA AA 15 year old come in to the NBL at the Grands and want to race. Would they let him in X?

I'm waiting for the first national team that puts in a team sheet of transgender or gender confused riders. Talk about really messing some **** up on the national level.

Don't get any ideas there Jud.
hbr
Non qualified riders at the Grands has been on the books for 20 years or so, I don't care for it either.....
hbr
Jess - If Bags was faster, he could be first for the transgender thing
Bags1
I think I might be able to beat some of the 38 year old women. I'll check into the surgery, I'll need a real big check though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.