Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How prepared is you local scene?
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
Vintage G
BMX racing Olympic qualifying is under way and the hype has started and will only continue to build. Is your local track prepared to hustle the "honeymoon hype"? From the relationship of being recognized from the IOC to the 4 hours that NBC has allocated for BMX racing, does anyone have a game plan here? Are local scenes/sanctions ready? Are we ready? What do you plan on doing? Are you going to hate and say "it won't help" and be passive or are you a creative machine and will embrace it, look at the glass half full and do your best to benefit from the relationship?

NBC truly believes a BMX version of the flying tomato will emerge from the sport. 4 hours won't hurt. Having 3-4 TRULY Gold Hopefuls won't hurt either. Is Conroe, Napa, Simi Valley, and Sanger tracks gearing up?

Start planning now!
Jon Rotten
Well put G......

No Excuses just DO IT!

Bags1
We're gearing up. Getting ready to open another track just 30 minutes from existing facility. The new one will be world class. Not ready to say who will build it, but the land, dirt and money are all there, and I am sure the person selected will bring their "A" game.

One thing we are working to create is a "Greeter" for the track. For example, right now I am the TO, but I am also a rider. So a newbie parent rolls in and wants info. Someone hollars for me to come over. So, soaking wet, smelly middle age dude on a small bike rolls over half out of breath.......Not the ideal situation. So we are trying to get a few existing parents trained up to be able to answer any questions and look somewhat presentable when doing it.

The thing is there is already an uptick in newbies taking place. Too early to give credit to the olympics, but newbies are coming in.

I was once a "hater" when it came to the olympics, but I think the olympics will help. Now, the UCI, that is a whole other question......
ANT DOG 3:16
Well greg http://cjbmx.org/ is always ready. Olympics or no Olympics. CJ is also the home track of phil delizia one of the fastest guys on the pro circut. (As stated in bmxworld magazine) And if you ever come to jersey you are welcome to come and play. Btw are you going vet? If so good luck!!!
Cash Matthews
Great point Greg!

Our local scene, dead now for 18 months, is on the verge of a historic revival. There is a new track under construction in Leander. There is another track under construction at the new $66 million dollar Texas X Park. I am consulting personally with a local municipality with the Leander guys as well as the Cedar Park Parks and Rec. CP wants to build a track right away and I am meeting with the director on Monday to display the plan and schedule my speech in front of City Hall. Pflugerville wants a track as well, and James Keahey is working dilligently on making that a reality right away. From 0 to 3 or 4 pretty quick, and all in time for the Olympics!

I am a marketing guy. My mission is to help BMX grow massively, regardless of the Olympics. This will be a great catalyst for anyone wanting to grow their local program in a big way.

Great post Greg!
lumpy
Heck, I've already been using the fact that a leading Olympic contender, Mike Day, lives in Santa Clarita, and has to drive to places like Simi Valley to train while I am helping to get a track opened here again... Next meeting, I'll be mentioning that we now have 2 World Champions in town too...

Brian
ANT DOG 3:16
My mission is to help BMX grow massively, regardless of the Olympics. .

Cash that is the attitude we all need to have. The games can help. But we have to all we canto make it grow.
Vintage G
From my perspective, I envision ALL local tracks having a high performance and or even just a performance enhancer coach/rider/mentor that can help everyone from newbies to the current member that are aspired by being inspired by the inclusion of the games...Perhaps guys like myself, Hill and others can help develop these coaches. This will encourage the retention component and help further develop the bmx athlete and sport!
lumpy
G,
I may not qualify as a "high performance coach" but a program I was involved with when we had a track here did wonders for helping our rider count.

We did a co-op with the Parks and Rec Dept. The class consisted of four, two hour sessions. The first 3 were didicated to teaching, the last was a race for the students. We had 30 kids a month go through and at least half kept racing afterwards. We were also the most popular program in the park and rec book that went to every house in the Santa Clarita Valley...

An older Expert or Pro can go a long way towards getting a newb started on the right foot..

Brian
glynnhunter
Every school needs a BMX track and a BMX coach. My goal is always spread the word and educate just what BMX is. Texas is about to explode w/ options for the next generation of BMXers. I have been riding since I was 15 now (34) my children 3 $ 5 have been around since babies and are coming into the sport. These are the kids I like to get into BMX.

[ August 23, 2007, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: glynnhunter ]
camel
quote:
Perhaps guys like myself, Hill and others can help develop these coaches.
Any further developments regarding this with USAC? Why don't you just form your own accrediting .org and do certifications yourself. I'm waiting for you to make me an official Level II Hi-Performance BMX coach. Hurry up, man.
tommy2x4
...i'm still looking for a job!!!.... lol..
Brett Middaugh
Guys remember, it's the KIDS who are gonna want to do this...
Bags, the "smelly middle aged guy" who actually rides the bike is always better than a parent who doesn't, trust me...I'm beggin ya.
Having coaches (who aren't riders, this ain't directed at Greg or any of the guys who ride and coach) and recruiters and "your kid can be in the olympics too" people all around are gonna be bad news.
Fun.
Why did we start we start doing this as kids?
Fun.
We had fun jumping our bikes and going fast.

How's about....
"Hi, my names Brett, I'm so stoked you guys decided to come out and check out BMX...whew, I'm a little winded just did a couple laps, lol"
Parent- "You race too? At your age..haha"
"Yep, good exercise and it's a lot of fun, all that olympic stuff is fantastic but the bottom line of why we are all here is that we're all having fun from 6 to 60."

A new generation is coming up, it's gonna be ok to say things like stoked, awesome and the like...
Remember, we're the middle aged maniacs in charge now...the ones who were saying radical, gnarly and go for it as kids.
We gotta be who we are, never change for the masses.
Learn from the freestylers.

[ August 24, 2007, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Brett Middaugh ]
Brett Middaugh
Oh and NJ is almost ready, just have a bit of dead weight to cast off and we are gonna set sail.
EdD
Just because BMX is on TV it is not going to Promote the sport. How are the parents/kids going to know where the closes local track is? I just hope someone steps up and runs a commercial or Two?
that70sguy
and then fire was invented
that70sguy
kudos brett, very well put.
i ride,race,set up everything at the track and work on the track so i am normaly sweating and out of breath and it never played a part in dealing with any parent or child but i can see were at some track the hole sweaty thing may not work.

bott line is the olympics will be good for the sport but guys we have survived without them so we just need to keep working hard and it will all work out in the end because anybody knows that the bmx thing goes in cycles anyway

ron scott
hornets nest bmx
( its a east coast thing )
headsnap
quote:
I envision ALL local tracks having a high performance and or even just a performance enhancer coach/rider/mentor that can help everyone from newbies to the current member that are aspired by being inspired by the inclusion of the games
Tommy Board and Marty Wisehart have been have been a great asset at our track this year in that position... albeit informally in that position.

quote:
...i'm still looking for a job!!!.... lol..
Tommy, it would be cool to set something up formally to throw you some bones!! Just listening to you and Marty have improved my gates BIG TIME!!!!
sanjosebmx
GREAT THREAD!

These ideas are key to success keep them coming!

Our local track will be shiny and new probably opening Spring 08 - PRIME TIME to show the sport...
The Riddler Al-F
The Negative of this post:
- The Olympics alone will not make BMX Better
- Disney World's involvement in BMX alone will not make BMX better
- Some people are sitting back believing this will save the sport

The Positives:
- The Olympics and Disney are involved in BMX
- This means more possibilties to get the word out
- Some people don't sit back, they recruit on the local scene
- The olympics lends legitimacy to BMX Racing
- Disney offers reality that average folks can identify with if the Olympics/Supercross style tracks scare prospects off
- Most importantly; people believe if your "little grom" or "sweaty middle aged guy" can do this, so can their kid and maybe they can too

I'm sure there's more to the "Whole package" concept but The Olympics certainly will not detract from the excitement. besides, I never knew what snow board cross was until the 2006 Winter Olympic Games.

Alright, I'm not snowboarding in middle Ga, or a competitive snow board Xer, but I tried snowboarding in Korea last winter. I also like to watch any televised snowboard events.
The Riddler Al-F
Oh, I forgot, I believe that vr bmx is right. commercials should be run at that time too so people will find the tracks,

However, the co$t of air time on NBC during the olympics will be astronomical. Don't expect to see them there. but cable channels like ESPN, Speed, Sports South, etc might be reasonable. buy time slots in the days after the closing ceremony. The seed has just been planted and the timing will extend the thought and grow in people's minds.

I do believe the most effective prospecting plan is to recruit on the local scene, but this would help.

Just a thought...

[ August 24, 2007, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: The Riddler Al-F ]
bmxmom156
boy what if the nbl, uci and aba chipped in for a short commercial w/phone numbers/ website addys for the common good of the sport? is assuming they have the cash for this too far off the mark? both could be included at least as a starting off point for folks to find their "nearest track".other than them i cant see anyone else being able to afford a commercial. if the sanctions used their own sponsors to kick in (backround logos whatever or show the kids riding on their sponsors bikes, etc) it may offset a little. it just seems too simple.... cant be as much as the superbowl commercials
Kamikaze kid
Right on Ron,

You forgot to mention that technically you shouldn't even be on a bicycle, or even over exerting yourself worknig on the track. I won't go in to your health file here, but you know what I mean.

Your my hero, you have mine and many others respect. You lead by example and can always be counted on.

Great friend & even better dude

Look forward to being at the Nest this weekend
bmxmom156
does anyone know how much the public access cable channels charge for their weekly announcements? usually they have the local happenings in towns are only up for 1-2 mins each( no video just an info page) but if you run a short promo vid for 1-2 mins on here a few times a day what could it cost? the prob is what kid is watching this channel? mostly for parents but it would def grab my atten if i had it on...

or waht about a kids channel like nik or disney?

just a thought...
Elvis
quote:
boy what if the nbl, uci and aba chipped in for a short commercial w/phone numbers/ website addys for the common good of the sport?
I think you grossly underestimate the amount of money the sanctions have on hand. We're talking NBC during one of the most expensive broadcast-rights contracts out there. Ads are going to be very expensive.

Also, a given single television ad has very little, almost no, penetration. We're talking six ads at an absolute bare minimum. Unlike the Superbowl, one-time ads don't get the play during this broadcast, that's a marketing niche apparently reserved for the
Superbowl only.

And with that, and in answer to the original question: I'd like to think any track is prepared for post-event hype, greeting the curious with information and support. And therein the ultimate point: This event may create a short spike in people pursuing BMX information right away, but where it will really help is upping public mindshare. So the next time you're at the (somewhere) standing in front of a card table handing out brochures, you won't have to spend as much time explaining what BMX is, exactly.

I don't expect the day after the broadcast to be much different than any other day for recruitment. What I do expect is public mindshare to be up for an extended period of time, and that's where we'll up moto counts. It's quite possible someone exposed to that broadcast might not actively pursue BMX until years later for whatever reason.
camel
Since we know there isn't going to be a paid commercial on during the Olympic or even SX broadcasts, let's hope the people doing the coverage of the event think of giving the public a little background or context for the event. Just a little "where did this sport come from and where is it going on today" kind of reportage. If Kyle or Donny gets featured, they might show him practicing at his local track, and he might explain how he got started.
brianrusmc
quote:
let's hope the people doing the coverage of the event think of giving the public a little background or context for the event. Just a little "where did this sport come from and where is it going on today" kind of reportage. If Kyle or Donny gets featured, they might show him practicing at his local track, and he might explain how he got started.
That's what I was thinking about, something like, "This story is about the National Champs from the ABA/NBL/USAC here in the States, blah blah blah." I remember seeing a lot of those in past Olympics like when that home store started supporting olympians. Those, sometimes, are the most interesting parts of the broadcast.
That would do two things, show our top riders to the masses, and support/advertise each sanction. Anyone these days knows how to google something they see on tv.

Brian
Bikemonkeys
Look to;

Bawls
Vision Street wear
Xgames
Dew tour
that later 90's espn bmx show

Did they do anything for your local track?

If your track isn't putting out an effort, nothing that the sanctions do is going to matter. Not even the Olympics. Well it could turn off a whole new group of people to BMX...
bmxmom156
was just a thought.. i know s omeone who put together a pretty darn good nj state promo video so i guess i was wondering if anyone else had success with public access channels.... might be a place to start? ( wishful thinking)

does anyone work for cablevision or comcast that knows anything about these channels?.... i see town sign ups for pee wee football so why not bmx??
Capt. Caveman
From my perspective, I envision ALL local tracks having a high performance and or even just a performance enhancer coach/rider/mentor that can help everyone from newbies to the current member

we had a pretty good one here at sand springs but hes kinda busy with the olympic team go get em coach we will take care of this end
sanjosebmx
As the olympics draw near, make sure your local NBC station knows there is a BMX track in your town.. they might do a lead in or feature for the oly broadcast. Thats free local advertising.
Bikemonkeys
Omaha, NE has a TV ad that I am sure could be used in other areas around the country. Check out what they aired on a local Omaha station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0GjtlqYonI
camel
That was not bad! Do you have any details on costs, when and how many times aired, stations, etc?
bmxmom156
wow that was cool.. i would like to know the same can you post info?? thanks
Bikemonkeys
Grizz is the TO that ran that ad, shoot him a pm or check out their sit at Omahabmx.com
pquinnbmx
Elvis brings up a good point about costs of TV ads, however, you folks in Omaha may find that local ads are way more cost effective during like a "coaches" post game show after a high school game, like on Sunday or Monday, or during a Sunday movie marathon on a local TV channel. This is when I see local ads more often, is during local times, movies and local sports shows and such. I would say you could do it around a Huskers coaches' show but they probably put those darn shows at a high $$ premium.
lumpy
TV ads aren't cheap, but cable companies do have to provide a certain amount of air time for public access programming.... But with Youtube now, you can film races, host them there and put it out for the world to see, put them on your own website, put them on Myspace.. There are a lot of ways to get the racing out there now.. And to get it in the faces of the kids that we want to get out from behind a computer and on to a BMX track..

Brian
headsnap
quote:
But with Youtube now, you can film races, host them there and put it out for the world to see...
like this!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=headsnap
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.