Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: extra races at grands?
VintageBMX.com > BMX NOW > BMX Racing
bmxmom156
i am confused as to what these extra races are at the grands this yr. on fri it says #2 uci race( i assume this is jr men/women and elite) then on sat it says "elite spectactular" which is jr men and elite plus ams and appears to be open classes. dont they usually have these DURING the grands? does that mean there will be no open classes during the grands motos? can anyone confirm this? it says you can race pro for the uci but then go back and race am for the grands/ 07 season? this seems very confusing to me. if you are pro/jr men/elite how can you go back and race in just say 17-24x? does anyone know how this works? thanks.
BMXPOP
As far as the Friday night UCI race goes, the race is counting towards 2008 NBL points. For those racing Jr. Elite in the new season, they are able to take part in the Friday race without jeopardizing their expert status for Saturday's Grands. All who race as Jr. Elite for Friday's UCI race are committing to be Jr. Elite for the new 2007-2008 season.
I don't have a clue about the Saturday night "Elite Spectacular" or when the open classes will be run.
bmx dad
bmxmom, I talked to Erma about this last weekend, in both Josh and Daniel's case( I assume you are his mom), they can race Elite in the UCI race as that is the 2008 season, and believe it or not, it is an age specific class, as in 19 or over, per UCI rules and not considered a PRO class. Then they can race their normal expert class at the grands as well as in the ABA.....the choice is whether they are racing championship(elite/ jr. elite) or challenge (normal age classes) for world points.
Bmx Dad
p.s. Thanks for the vid.
Ms. Ryan Scott Racing
The practice on Friday has been cut short due to the UCI race. Has anyone heard how practice is going to be broken down?
mrh
I had a question on this too

the way I read it, those involved in the Saturday Night spectacular will basically be taking care of sundays Business Saturday night, So they can actually go home they will be done for the weekend...

????

is this right?
Dicta
FYI-

Practice schedule will be published and disseminated tomorrow for the 30th Edition of the NBL Grands...

Debbie and BMX Dad, unsolicited advice, I'd confirm this in a letter to Bob T or Dave Miller before relying solely upon someone's written assertion of fact. Cheap insurance and helps to avoid any ambiguity in the future.

Mark- So it would appear...

Ed Reinhart
Derby City BMX
bmxmom156
thanks... so anyone who is 1990-91 can race jr men since they will be 17-18 and anyone born 1989 or earlier can race elite? i dont see how it can count towards nbl national points if you race in a different class. what would be the point of racing jr men on fri night if you had no intention of racing jr men in 2008? you would be getting uci points as jr men and cant be used for 17-18x?

would be nice to see what the class change will be for 08 also.. we are staying put but i know a few of the 17-24x will be turning up to jr men so how can they go back to expert? it seems they have to declare a class by the 1st (08) national?

the more i read the more complicated it seems.
g-mo
If anyone races jr men or elite men at the friday race they will only be able to race those classes or elite open at all uci or nbl events for the 2008 season.
HRPdesigns
quote:
er UCI rules and not considered a PRO class. Then they can race their normal expert class at the grands as well as in the ABA
Are you sure the ABA is in agreement with that? Racing against AA pros at a UCI national and then racing in AM at the next ABA National, this is all just so confusing.

Thank god I am not a pro/elite/am/whatever.
g-mo
Yes, its been done. Ask Wisendanger.....
tj99
This is all a little confusing but look forward to this race!!! I think your going to see some great racing!!!

Im sure there will be clarification at the grands for the class changes. The NBL is like the weather here in New England, if you don't like it wait a minute it will change.
HRPdesigns
quote:
The NBL is like the weather here in New England, if you don't like it wait a minute it will change.
Quote of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Elvis
quote:
Are you sure the ABA is in agreement with that? Racing against AA pros at a UCI national and then racing in AM at the next ABA National, this is all just so confusing.
I recall a line in the ABA rulebook which makes it pretty clear that once a pro, always a pro until a process is gone through (inferring regardless of what UCI/NBL says on the subject. If fact, I'd like to be there when you use "but the UCI says it's okay!" justification with ABA.)

I don't doubt there aren't a few who've snuck past that rule, but I'm thinking you sign up for a pro class you're pro in ABA eyes.

I'd check into this further but I don't care.
HRPdesigns
quote:
they can race Elite in the UCI race as that is the 2008 season, and believe it or not, it is an age specific class, as in 19 or over, per UCI rules and not considered a PRO class
So basically the NBL does not have a Pro class under these rules, correct? I have actually heard this before and argued the point with someone about single A and AA with respect to elite class.

I will be honest I am glad I am not the ABA and having to figure out how each rider who does this fits into their races.

Lets use Josh as an example, say he make the main and get a payout in Elite, then goes to the ABA to race their Grands, how does that work. I am not picking on Josh as I think he is a great rider and he just might make the UCI main in Elite. Does the ABA allow him to finish the ABA season as an AM or do they bump him to single A when he shows up.

That was really my questio,n as I do not want several hot AM's racing the UCI race and ruining there chance to go after the AM title in the ABA if they happen to be riding both.

Please if you are considering doing something like this get the info from both Sanctions as with all the different rules and classes you need to get it from both horse's mouths.

Knowledge is Power so just know what you are facing before you go into it.
bmxmom156
so then why not let the riders who choose to compete in jr men go to superclass (seems like a lateral move) rather than back to expert? i understand jr (17-18)men and elite (19 over) men are age specific but superclass would be better than elite if you think you are not ready for elite?

for example if josh m( to use another persons example) and matt k raced jr men they would race superclass for 2008 instead of 17-24x. no doubt they seem ready ( jmo) and its their decision but i dont know what the aba calls this class? should be same in both i would think.
BMXPOP
In the NBL, the riders do not get to go back to expert - they are simply allowed to finish the Grands in their expert class. Once the Grands are over, they are committed to race the 2008 season as Jr. Elite, no longer eligible for the 17-24 expert class.
The Friday night UCI race is actually a race for the 2008 season that happens to be run before the 2007 season has ended.
g-mo
Here's what happened in the 07 season. Jr men had to declare they were racing jr men and did so at all UCI events through out the year. They weren't allowed to race expert in the nbl. They raced Elite open at non uci events and still raced expert in the ABA. The ABA doesn't offer UCI classes so they stayed in their respective expert classes. At least thats my take...
bmxmom156
ok that makes more sense. what is the superclass then? iknow its not a uci class but why have all these different names? why not just make it the same uci/nbl/aba seems like a no brainer and makes life less confusing... PICK ONE! lol
delirious
there is no superclass anymore...
Mike Fields
And if you go Pro, or are Pro, the ABA isn't running their Reno pro races until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday allowing Pros and Junior Elites to fly to Nevada Saturday morning.

I'm sure we'll find out how the cross classfication stuff works there pretty quickly.
HRPdesigns
quote:
why not just make it the same uci/nbl/aba seems like a no brainer and makes life less confusing
It was that way a couple of years ago. NBL and ABA both had A-pro/Superclass (for all practical purposes the same thing) and AA-Pro, seems that the ABA kept there classifications the same, it was the NBL that has gone and bent over for the UCI. Now your designation is determined by age, not skill, in the UCI system, if you are racing the Elite/jr. Elite program. Look at it this way, Alice Post is one of the fastest Pro girls out there and yet in the UCI system she could not even compete in the Elite or Jr. Elite class because of age, yet she can out motor many of the girls in the Elite Womens category. Just does not seem fair for a rider that is that gifted, not to show her stuff against the best. Same for Pajon who is just as talented.

The system, or reasoning for running it the way they do, just does not make sense to me. But hey why should I care, I am not racing for titles anymore, I just want the sport to succeed and become something Big and not just the little niche it has become. And personally the way the NBL is adapting the UCI policy does not seem like the way to go in my opinion. I think they are hurting the domestic product for the sake of the 5 Pros that will be at the Olympics. That is just how I see things, Right or wrong, we each have our views.

[ August 14, 2007, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: HRPdesigns ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.