Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: repco the company
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Worldwide BMX
mongoose_rider
hi g day boys

back in the 80's repco the manufacturer of hotfoots has the company name as such been bought out as the repco bike site of 2 day has other names like diamond back and things.

cheers
velocidad
yes changed ownership more than once I'm pretty sure.
Jarvi
Repco is owned by Pacific Brands which used to be Pacific Dunlop. The same people who have Bonds, Holeproof, Everlast, King Gee etc. They are listed as the trademark owners of Repco Sport. They also have the trademark Hotfoot which is registered until 2014. Who knows, we might see a Hotfoot bike again one day.
Jet Black
Repco used to be the importers & distributors of Patterson BMX frames here as well bitd , believe it or not , it was a very odd combination to learn of back then...no idea where or how the connection was made.

JB
revcore
Yes, And the importers of OGK mags too.... As featured on the back of Pancake Magazine along with the above mentioned Patterson frame sets.
hawkers
I believe Repco still also owns the bmx trademark name Quicksilver for Australia. bikes are imported and put together in he south-eastern melbourne suburb mulgrave
Chequerbolt
Hey guys, i worked for Repco Cycles for just under five years in the 90's, and prior to that purchased from them at the store i managed. Repco Cycles was owned by another group before Pacific Dunlop owned it, and i think another a group even before that.

When the company was based in Huntingdale it was heavily focused on all quality levels of bicycles for bike shop dealers, and that includes the period of Patterson, OGK, and Haro. Repco have been the Haro distributor since the first Haro Freestyler frame. Prior to that they were doing some Haro accessories and as was BMX promotions (Now BMX International) and others ,doing plates, visors and levers etc here and there.

The Repco office that was in Mulgrave is now closed, it was only an office and a showroom all their bikes were stored out at the Malvern Star (another Pacific Brands Company) warehouse in Brooklyn.
About 2 or 3 years back they closed the mulgrave office and moved what staff remained to the Brooklyn warehouse/office and have since combined the Malvern Star and Repco distribution companies together.

Sorry hawkers, but they didnt assemble bikes at the Mulgrave office, however they may have done on some of the early 80's models at the Huntingdale location. All bikes they import are in SKD (semi Knock down) in boxes from China and Taiwan.

They were not a good comapny to work for during the time i was with them, but i'm sure they were once upon a time.

[ August 22, 2006, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Chequerbolt ]
KOSY-MOTO
quote:
back in the 80's repco the manufacturer of hotfoots has the company name as such been bought out as the repco bike site of 2 day has other names like diamond back and things
Here you go.. a OG survivor Hotfoot24

and a Diamond 24(aftermark) - Black chrome. Both were sold by Repco Australia.
rsrichie
osamaie was that DB 24 bought from a bike shop in penrith by any chance?
Mattblack
I grew up only knowing
R- rip
E- everyone
P- poor
C- (um cant say that one)
O- off
sorry
COASTY
lol they still do to.
Chequerbolt
I even used that term while i worked there!
Jet Black
What's wrong with saying the word Chap ?

I think osamaie bought his Diamondback Hotfoot from a Ca$h Converter$ store , most the people who work in those shops are Chaps too.
Mattblack
My comment is just from a 11 year old boy who like to swear BITD.
Mattblack
Double post

[ August 24, 2006, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Mattblack ]
rsrichie
i use to build wheels for REPCO and then went on to work in REPCO auto spares but this was long after the bikes could be bought through the autospares stores. we use to say
Rip
Every
Paying
Customer
Off
just to clean it up, funny thing was that after working for repco i then went on to work for a equally iconic aust company with a annogram for a name see if you can guess this one

No
Real
Mechanics
About

or for internal use when dealing with a customer

Not
Really
My
Area

Jet black i would have to agee about the chaps at cash converters must be somthing to do with selling aledged untrace-able stolen goods.
The reason i ask if it was bought from a shop in penrith is that a i know a store at the western end of the main street whos name begins with a R use to badge taiwanese cr#p as diamond backs and that bike of osamaie's looks like one. In fact it looks like a black chrome Hotfoot.

[ August 24, 2006, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: rsrichie ]
redlinenz
that REPCO annogram is used over here too lol
All so known as RIPCO. Dont remember them selling bikes, only the car parts you dont need
HowardinOz
Ha, Ha, my trade school teacher used to call us all Turkeys...he said that was because he wasn't allowed to call us 'chaps'!

Ie, listen here you little 'turkey'!

I think I have a 24" Hotfoot as well.
Howard
Kurt.
Well shoot - with my Hotfoot 24 F&F we'll have to start a Repco Hotfoot Appreciators Society. Osamaie can be El Presidente!
KOSY-MOTO
hahaha.. all of the above!! And yes my Diamond Back/ Hotfoot came from outwest.. is that where you saw it JB? hehehe
DRTYCNSMR
i just bought a repco Hotfoot 24 off a 60 year old greek guy yesterday for $100.

what a survivor!!! i'll post pics when i get a chance.

EDIT: would strangle a puppy for the pad set... let me know if anyone has them
DRTYCNSMR
and here it is....

RatHead
QUOTE (Jet Black @ Aug 25 2006, 11:09 AM) *
What's wrong with saying the word Chap ?

I think osamaie bought his Diamondback Hotfoot from a Ca$h Converter$ store , most the people who work in those shops are Chaps too.

I love this..Chap.When I first came to Aus 11 years ago I found this was used everyday just like the word "Mother Pucker" was in the States.It could be used to describe a person,place or thing.Mate is another one.In the states they use "Dude". huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.