Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blue Max
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > Mid School BMX
Jason Chang
Anyone remember Blue Max? I was the last rider put on the factory team, after Brian Gass left and went pro. I joined Ken Aman, and Kareem Richardson (older bro of Crupi's Jason). This was in the last days of Skip running the whole show. Anyone remember us? Any past team riders out there? No bikes anymore but still have the factory uniform. Would love to hear from any of ya.

Changstar
76 Mongeese
Ken Aman used to post here I think.....I bought some old mongoose decals from him. I have a 1980 Blue Max hanging around here....probably before your days on the team. Can you post a pic of that uniform...I'm sure lots of folks would remember it.
Jason Chang
I will get a pick of uniform up soon. I got on the team about 1985, by then we all rode the Eric Rupe signature frame with Blue Max stickers, And we ran different forks. The Mongoose froks would bend so both Blue Max And Mongoose teams ran other forks. I used a Free Agent, other guys were on CW, Haro.

Changstar
kdw 712
Cool at last some who may have some info the Blue max Team.

i was given an 84 model (based on the mongoose californian) 2 years ago it what brought me back to BMX, its a old pic of it now

and i could never get any info on the brand or team
so i will get some brews chillin and sit & listen i guess
Jason Chang
Well what ya wanna know? Blue Max is Mongoose. The original owner Skip Hess, wanted to get bike sales in Dept stores and military outlets. But to not take away sales of Mongoose from the bikes shops he created Blue Max. Which is the same as Mongoose, they just used the lower priced models cause no one is going into K mart for a $400 race bike. From What I heard Skip still own the rights to Blue Max. The names came from famous NHRA funny cars in the late 70's, Skip was somehow afiliated with the car owners. The factory team was a way to grab up some riders that may move to Mongoose later. It was totaly cool because for me there seemed to be less pressure on the Blue Max team even though we pretty much got the same deal sponsorship wise. Mongoose was the always in the spotlight so they had more pressure to perform.

Changstar
prosight
I have a NOS blue max sticker set like in the pic....
best offer...
Jason Chang
Very tempting, if I got close to a rebuild of my old bike I for sure would need some stickers.

Changstar
kdw 712
jason cheers for info

i take you guys prob had more flex with
what you bolted to the frames, you already mentioned the forks, than the Mongoose pro team
Ken Aman
Aloha,
Jason, Great to hear from you. We did have a good time didn't we. Hope all is well.
Jason Chang
Hey Ken, how ya doin? you got family or kids? Any riding anymore? I remember you wearing a walkman and driving in second gear on the rental car for a few hours. Remember how Travis would torture rental cars. Maybe we all did, but lets keep it to Travis, Rupe did show me how to do a Rockford. We need to get Travis to do a big BMX Products reunion.

Changstar
Pete Porker
Hey Changstar - I was in Hawaii in Febuary, but i couldn't find any old school bikes or parts ! You don't work at a bike shop do you ?
Pete
Jason Chang
No, it's been years since I worked in a bike shop. Hawaii has a ton of old school bikes, ask Shannon at ABA. Most of the time you just see a kid riding a cool old bike that they have no idea on the value. Most times you can offer the kid $50 bucks and they'll give it to you. Hawaii had lots of Mongoose, Robinson, LRV, DG, Cook Bros. BITD.

Changstar
HA Y N
Ho, dem guys still run da pit buuuuuuu brakes o'what?
-Leasure
Thumperpilot
Ho, my cruza wheel stay all whopped from da kine!
Jason Chang
No scaid em, go get um. Dat bike stay meanest light. Ho cuz I can have dis? Wat you guys get sticka.

Changstar
Galen Starlin
You guys have been hitting the peace pipe way to much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HA Y N
Don't hate cuz you can't understand the pidgin brah!!
-Leasure
Pete Porker
hey thanks changstar, i was told there was a guy that worked at a bike shop on ala moana that had a kuwahara, but never got there to talk to him, thought it might have been you. didn't see any old bikes, but was lookin, and only had a few days. i'm hopin to get back next year.............
Thumperpilot
Kuwahara? He was probably on his way to the races.LOL!!! They don't just ride the old bikes over there. They still racem!

Just look for Chancem and his dog Primo! hehehehehe......................

[ August 23, 2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Thumperpilot ]
HA Y N
I remember seeing Jason Chang at the 86' Grands on his Blue Max!! Before we even became good friends!!
-Leasure
Jason Chang
Dude how come you didn't come talk to me at the 86 grands?, I think only 2 riders went to the grands from Hawaii that year. 17 & over expert had like 96 riders, I got to 1/4's. You must have been like 13 or so? I would have stopped and talk story wit you, give you my autograph, maybe let you have my Factory Blue Max padset. He he he

Changstar
The Loper
I was one of the 3 origanal factory Blue Max riders. I rode for the team in "84" & ""85". The first riders were Fred Johnson, myself (Mark Lopez), and Brian Gass. Fred left the team shorly after i was picked up to go to CW. It was just me and Gass for almost the whole summer of "84". Mike Monell and Brad Bolle were both on the team for a short time towards the end of "84" but were cut due to poor results. At the beginning of "85" Ken Aman was transferred over from Mongoose to Blue Max and Darwin Griffin was picked up from GT (after leaving Mongoose earlyer in the year for GT). So then it was Ken,Me,Gass,and Griffin. Half way through "85" Mongoose/Blue Max made major budget cuts, cutting everyone from both teams except Eric Rupe and Billy Griggs on Mongoose and Ken and Darwin on Blue Max. That left a lot of great riders out in the cold with out a ride including myself, Brian Gass, John Tomac, Todd Henry, Karim Richardson, Kevin Collins, Jason Kick, Matt Mcollugh,Missy Fred and Marvin Church. Later that year Blue Max dropped Darwin and replaced him with Karim. Sorry Jason but we never met. I am guessing you were picked up shortly before the team dispannded at the end of "86". I have several pictures but am unsure of how to post them.
Mark Lopez
Jason Chang
Hey Mark, we never met but I do know you from the magazines and I was on the team while you and a few other were still on. But I was not traveling to nationals yet so most of my first year or 2 was just in Hawaii. That was because Hawaii was treated like a foreign counter as far as promotions, so I was like Andy Ruffell in England, just getting bikes and uniforms. Not till 1987 Did I start to do Nationals, and it took me a while to get the hang of that, I stayed with Rupe most of the time and we are still friends today. I still say we need a Mongoose/Blue Max reunion. Just talked to Todd Henry in San Diego last year, he's still fast.

Changstar
The Loper
Jason,
Cool............I never knew we were on the team at the same time ! Eric Rupe and Ken Aman were my best buddies on the team and we were always hanging out together. Eric & Ken were both good freinds for years before we were all teammates so it was fun when we were all able to travel together. Doing "Rockfords" in rent a cars was a weekly deal. I will try to e-mail you some pics. If you talk to Eric tell him I say "Hello".
Mark
Jason Chang
Anyone know where abouts of Brian Gass? He was so cool to me at my first national for Blue Max. At first I felt weird cause he just left the team and all of a sudden I show up so I did not know if he may have had bad feelings on the deal. But we became friends in 5 minutes. I never forgot that, and when it was my turn to leave Mongoose and Fuzzy was the new guy I made friends with him right away.

Changstar
BMX672
Speaking of Blue Max... what ever became of Darwin Griffin? I remember him vividly because he and I were in a BMX'er centerfold poster in the mid-late 80's... he was riding for Blue Max then! I'll never forget the uniform. I must have looked at that poster a thousand times... I think it was at a national in Springfield IL or possibly tenn or Ky.
...How a post topic can bring back memories.
Jason Chang
I heard a rumor that his older bro Dana had died, anyone know if this is true?

Changstar
prosight
Hi all i sold the blue max stickers but i can get one more NOS set........lmk

Prosight
Sea-Town OldSchool'er
Changstar, you must have ridden for "The Bike Shop"..huh? Is that how you got your affiliation with Mongoose/Blue Max?
JohnnyJohnson OMAS DirtSlinger
I'm in touch with Todd Henry.
He's got his own business, his son races occasionally, and Todd is a rapper and produces his own music under the name LPHD (I don't recall what it stands for). I had him do a guest appearance (where he rapped) while I was DJing at a club in 2000.
He said that at a few shows, he started his show by jumping his bike on to the stage.
Private message me if you need me to contact him. I used to race him too.

Sad to say, Dana Griffin was shot and killed a quite a few year ago (not sure which year). Darwin told me around 2001. He didn't go into any details. I really like both those guys a lot. I last saw Darwin at the 2001 ABA So Cal Nationals at Ontario, Ca.

Brian Gass was the guy behind the "King Of Dirt" jumping contests. In 99', I DJed music for a huge one he had in conjunction with the US Open (surf contest and X Games type event). Lawan Cunningham wound up DJing with me a little bit too. Billy Griggs, Big E Eric Bartoldus, Phil Maxwell, Kareem Richardson, Greg Lilly and his daughter Jamie were all there.
Last saw him at the 2001 ABA So Cal Nationals at Ontario, Ca. I used to race Brian too.

Kareem Richardson was at that King of Dirt contest too. I talked to him for a minute. Said he and Lawan Cunningham quit BMX cause they didn't like the jock mentality that BMX racing was starting to get.

Johnny Johnson

[ November 10, 2005, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: JohnnyJohnson OMAS DirtSlinger ]
JohnnyJohnson OMAS DirtSlinger
I told Ken Aman this story a while ago....
-
My dad has a few old Mercedes Benzstation wagons. He was at a Jack In The Box down the street from his place (Rosecrans near Shelter Island. Leasure knows the area). This guy cruises up in a super clean, restored Benz. My dad strikes up a conversation with the guy. Asks him if he has a good Benz mechanic he could refer. The guy pulls out the card of his mechanic and scribbled something on the back. A few days later, I see the card laying face down on the table. I couldn't believe what I saw. Written on the back of the mechanic's card said "referred by Skip Hess" ......."

My dad has seen him one or two times afterward. Said "Oh I'm not in the bike biz." He just doesn't want to talk bike stuff anymore. He apparently has a boat docked in Shelter Island or Fisherman's Wharf.
Wish my dad would have dropped a few names of people we were friends with. May have been a little more receptive.
prosight
Im working on this....
Jason Chang
Sea town, no I never did ride for the bikeshop. I was dicovered in Cali at Pipeline skate park. There was a race track in the back. I was racing a local on a Kuwahara and was spotted by Bob Hadley. Bob was also a talent scout for up and comming racers. Blue Max was looking for an older Am, so Bob refered me to them. A few phone calls later and I was the newest member. I think I was the last rider to come in under Skip. Soon after Skip sold it to Fabershe, the cologne.

Changstar
daripper
I was an Air Force Brat back in 80's and raced a PK Ripper. Well so I broke the the seat tube off and needed a bike so I went to the garage and got out my OLD Blue Max (way early 80's) and put all my parts on it, Landing Gear, Flight 401's and all. Never rode faster. LOL Dont remember what happened to it. That is one I wish I never got rid of.
daripper
this post dead already?
Jason Chang
Good to meet a fellow Blue Max rider. Funny not many of them ever hit the track. I guess we were kind an undergroud factory team. We mostly rode what ever was the top line frame offered with Blue Max stickers. My whole time I rode a Eric Rupe signature. Then a Californian. Not sure what the original team rode, gotta ask Mark.

Changstar
daripper
When my PK was was down I never re-stickered the Blue Max, kept as is, and everybody always asked what it was. I made Expert on that set-up!

There were three of us from Beale AFB that raced at Yuba City BMX, My self and my best friend Billy Campbell who rode a Hutch. Cant remember the other guys name but he rode a Diamond Back Harry Larry and dreesed the part leathers and all (mom and dad)!
I had to deliver newspapers for the Sacramento Bee to pay my way.
Jason Chang
Yeah Blue Max would have been much more common on any military base, as that was the original outlet for them. Mongoose could only be sold by bike shops, but Skip wanted to have his product available in miltary stores, a few changes were made and Blue Max was born. This brought a quality bike to areas that were out of the way and the base was the only nearby store. So Blue Max was the military version of Mongoose.

Changstar
nobugsonme
I've still got a blue max and wouldn't mind selling it.
BirdDog2
QUOTE (nobugsonme @ May 22 2010, 12:53 AM) *
I've still got a blue max and wouldn't mind selling it.

I am willing to buy it. What type of condition is it in (Dings, Finish)?
Any pics you can send me? dmcafee0714@yahoo.com
let me know...I'll Paypal you-David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.