Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Portland Oregon Old School Gathering (June 8th Updated April 18)
VintageBMX.com > BMX Events & Gatherings > Member Gatherings
BenOr
More information later, but it appears that on June 8th, The Bike Gallery will be putting on a fund raiser for the new Portland Skate and BMX Parks. It will take place at the Bagdad Theater and tentatively includes a showing of "Joe Kid".

We need you support and collections for the event.

More later, but put June 9th on the calendar.

[ April 18, 2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: BenOr ]
jmcracing.net
Dude ... i am there ... let me know what i can do to help !!!

JOdyC BMX-ON
BenOr
Background: The City of Portland is demonstrating its commitment to supporting Portland’s youth by providing for constructive recreational activities. Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) has identified skateboarding, in-line skating and BMX free-style bike riding as legitimate sports that serve as a positive recreational outlet for both youth and adults alike. Because PP&R has determined that Portland is deficient in these types of facilities they are working to build 3 new facilities. Construction is scheduled to begin this summer.

Our goal: The Bike Gallery thinks it’s important for youth and young adults to have access to recreational opportunities. Knowing that city funds are in short supply we want to support the local BMX community by helping to raise money for the Portland Park’s Glenhaven BMX and skate park.

Concept: Benefit movie showing at local theater. Evening will include BMX movie showing, raffle prizes, possible celebrity appearances (riders from the movie), and other fun stuff.

Displays – new bikes – BMX and dirt jump; history display-bikes, jerseys, etc.; Riders – poster signing; raffle items.

Film: “Joe Kid Rides a Stingray” http://www.joekidonastingray.com/

Venue: Bagdad Theater

Date: June 8, 2006, 5-9 pm

Ticket Price: $12 for adult, $8 for kids under 16 and seniors.
VIP Ticket (advanced purchase only): $25, includes reserved seating on main floor and ?(gift?swag)

Proceeds: all proceeds go to PP&R Glenhaven BMX/Skate parks

[ April 18, 2006, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: BenOr ]
BenOr
Show 6/8. Tickets on sale at the Bike Gallery 4/27. Looks like a few old timers may show as well.
bmxmom
this is very cool. hope it is a huge success.
Paul Springer
What a great use of the Joe Kid movie, to grow the sport of BMX with a fund raiser! That really is pretty friggin cool
ol'phart
sounds great ---- too bad i'm on an opposite coast ---- enjoy !
bmxmom
i went to a statewide bike summit two weeks ago and ran into someone who has something to do with this event. totally blank what his name is right now. it was surprising though that out of the 140+ people in attendance, i was the only bmx related person there. what is up with that?
BenOr
There will be an event to raise money for the new Glenhaven skate/BMX park. The Bike Gallery is holding a benefit movie night at the Bagdad Theater on June 8th showing "Joe Kid on a Sting-Ray: The History of BMX". They will have great raffle prizes (including a couple of BMX bikes), a memorabilia display, and new bikes on display before the movie, and other fun stuff.

ALL of the proceeds from the event will go to help build the Glenhaven BMX/Skate park in NE Portland. The BG will not keep one cent. Tickets are $12 for general admission and $25 for VIP Passes (includes reserved seating, a VIP gift, and a raffle ticket). Tickets are available starting today at any Bike Gallery location.

We need a few locals to contact me about showing their bikes and gear. Step it up and go $25.

Here are a couple of local press tidbits...

Portlandbike.org

PDXBMX April 4

Ben

[ April 18, 2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: BenOr ]
BenOr
BUMP -

Go to Bike Gallery and buy tickets.
highspd
See you there.
bmxmom
anyone going from eugene or further south?
Ken Pliska
Holy Cow! Was that a Chris (Gary) Bell post?

Welcome back highspd!

See you at Bagdad.
highspd
Ha, I'll make an honest effort to be there. I've wanted to see the movie for awhile and its for a good cause.
bmxmom
bumperooni
BenOr
One week till Joe KId at the Bagdad..... PLUS a special opening trailer or two.
BenOr
It's this Thursday!
BenOr
2 days and counting!
BenOr
Have I mentioned this event will kick ***?
bmxmom
hope you have great attendance and raise lots of money for a good cause. i would be there but couldn't find a ride
Hup
Despite the technical difficulties with the movie it was a fun night. Some very cool bikes on display. It was cool to see the gold RL-20ii in person.

Anyone on here take some photos?

Cheers to the organizers and everyone who turned up. I hope they raised a few bucks.

J
bmxmom
yes. some pics please. hope it was a successful fund raiser.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.