Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3rd annual Austin TX old school gathering
VintageBMX.com > BMX Events & Gatherings > Member Gatherings
pquinnbmx
It's before our state race, Saturday, April 8th, Cap City BMX, Round Rock Tx. I will be up there at 8:00 am. Last year we got a sound system and I have confirmed the same sound system for this year. Two years ago a bunch of stingray guys showed up. This year let's get everybody out there. This could be the last "hoo-rah" for the track. There are tons of old schoolers in Austin who would like to give cap city the send off it deserves.
Criscobath
Pat, I'll know by this Friday if I can make it down. My wife is debating buying tickets for us to go to Florida for her cousin's wedding on the same weekend.

I'll bring a couple of my bikes (that's all I can fit) if I'm able to go.

I've got the itch to race too.

-Jeffrey
HurricaneHenry
Kevin and I will be out there for sure with as many bikes as we can fit in the vehicles! Looking forward to seeing everyone!!! -Brian
pquinnbmx
bump, it's almost time...
pquinnbmx
track website cap city here
widowmaker
wow..i remember going there back in 83-84 with some dudes and catchin Billy Bryson and i believe Kevin Hull kick tail. they had a insane vertical bleacher type starting gate that was wicked high!! you could stand underneath it and look up!! super kool..too bad its closing...
VonMonk
I sure am looking forward to this one! Brian and Pat, I'll see you there for sure and will be bringing a whole bunch of bikes and lots of parts for sale. Brian, is that MCS coming along too?
Criscobath
I won't be able to make it. My wife's uncle passed away on Sunday and the funeral is Thursday in Iowa. I won't be back in Texas until Sunday.

You guys have a great time and maybe I'll catch ya on the next go around.

Pat, I'll be sure to grab a milkshake made w/ real icecream while I'm in the great state of Iowa, in your honor.
VonMonk
Sorry to hear about your loss Jeffrey. One of these days I'll get a chance to meet you and check out the CW bars on their new home. Safe travels man!
HurricaneHenry
Oh yeah, I'm bringing the 20" MCS, the recently purchased 24" (don't tell my wife) will not be shown yet. The Roger D and of course the JMC will be in attendence and might even let the Robinson out of the house as well! Can't wait, looking forward to it!
VonMonk
Oh, and if anyone is bringing along an old set of straight chrome 26" forks for sale, please hit me up. I need some cheapos for an old Schwinn. This sure will be fun!
pquinnbmx
crisco, I always love to go to Iowa for any reason at all - with the possible exception of funerals, sorry to hear that. We will be catching you next time, no problem. The good part about my Grandma's funeral like ten years ago, got to see a lot of family, cousins, etc.
pquinnbmx
OK, update: I put a lot of flyers for our swap at Austin Record covention this past weekend. They had a big table full of flyers for swaps, and I asked permission and put them there. Also, I put an add in Thrifty Nickel, but it's changed names now, it's something like American Classifieds. Last nite on Monday, they worked on the track a lot and it should be in great shape. There was some interest in pit bike races and 26" wheel open which ends up being MTB races, which is great. This is a great event, I am glad as heck the track operator lets us do it. Widow: Billy Bryson and family race out there. And, we still have the big wooden gate platform, but it's roughly 6 feet shorter.
VonMonk
Pat, will you be bringing along anything for sale/swap as well as to show? I'd love to see even a fraction of your collection there on Saturday morning. I'll post a Craigslist add tomorrow if you don't mind about all of the goings on for the event. See all of you folks then!
pquinnbmx
yeah, craigslist, never thought of that, go ahead!!! I will be trying like crazy to bring maybe one or two bikes but i will bring two race bikes and all my gear and don't have much room. i don't want to scratch up my old bikes, my race bikes get dinged up and that's fine, but i hate transporting old nice bikes, so we will see.
pquinnbmx
by the way,here is the view from the gate..
HurricaneHenry
Come on Pat, I know you got some goodies that would make us all drool! That's what thick blankets are for, ding proofs the bikes.
pquinnbmx
I don't own any thick blankets, I am from up north, I get hot in January around here. I guess if I ever bought thick blankets they would be for bikes.
HurricaneHenry
You got a point! How about small children or average size furry animals?????
rob_lewis
I think I'm going to make it just to drool on all the old bikes. I've only got one old one (so far), my StreetBeat for the contest. I think I'll bring it along too!!

Anybody got a set of one piece cranks lying around they could bring? I need some for the 'Beat.

-Rob
VonMonk
I've got some one piece cranks for you Rob. I'll have them there by 10:30 or so along with a whole bunch of other stuff. No worries there. Me and Hurricane will most likely have a lot of stuff under his tent thingy so come on by and say hello.
rob_lewis
Thanks!!

I'll make sure and look for you.

I'll be the one with the StreetBeat.

-Rob
pquinnbmx
this is gonna be great, thanks in advance to everyone for attending
HurricaneHenry
Had a great time today, never did get to see the DY JMC or the Normura, oh well, they are rumored to be making an appearance at the 26" event at Bicycle sports shop on May 6th. Thanks VonMonk for the sweet hook-up and bringing out such pristine pieces of BMX history, Pat for putting this event on and racing and announcing, Rob for showing and bringing his competition StreetBeat build, and everyone else that stopped by to say HI and share some memories. Look forward to seeing everyone again in May!
VonMonk
Yeah, that was definately fun today! Nice seeing everyone again and how about that Revcore!?!!?! Holy smokes, that's going to be the coolest bike in Texas once it's built up. Rob, it was great meeting you and your future BMX racer son, and Pat, well, you had the coolest complete bike I've just about ever seen. Hope that the races went well for you and hope to see everyone again at the cruiser show next month that Cliff is throwing at BSS down here in South Austin.
pquinnbmx
Thanks to all for coming, sorry I could not mingle more. I spent 6 hrs announcing in the tower, then raced , then raced again today on Sunday, I am tired as heck. I heard stories about the revcore, who brought that?
HurricaneHenry
I didn't catch his name but that Revcore was sweet! Looked like it just arrived from the factory!!! Hopefully he can find all the parts he needs so we can see it built up in the near future.
rob_lewis
My son and I really enjoyed the races and the VBMX show this weekend!! It was great meeting you guys. After seeing your bikes, I know that my wife will be upset in the not too distant future as I start building more bikes!!
VonMonk, your CW is beautiful and brought back a lot of memories! Thanks, again for the cranks and hoops.
HurricaneHenry, that DeCoster is killer. Glad to know you still ride it. Was busy Sunday, but I've still got the dollar bill in my wallet to see if I can find you a headset.
quinnbmx, you did a great job annoucing. My son and I left before the races started, so we unfortunatly didn't get to see you race.
Thanks to all of those who kept an eye on my Streetbeat as I chased my son around the track!! It's great to know that Austin has a bunch of cool guys.

My son was chomping at the bit to get on the track (although he's still not comfortable without training wheels). So, I've started the hunt for him a Micro. I'm tempted by the Redline, but hope I can find him a used one to start off with. Maybe he and dad can both hit the track. Lord knows I could use the exercise!!

Wonder if I could find an old Titan frame......

-Rob
pquinnbmx
there are tons of used bikes for sale all the time, especially the micro or minis, because the kids get too big for them then outgrow them and sell them. then there is university cyclery for new stuff. used or new, there is always a way to get a kid a bike. and yes, there are still tons of titan frames floating around, usually cracked and re-welded. oh yeah, and we do cookie monster class for kids who are still on training wheels and the parents push them around the track. we are one of the few tracks in the nation doing it. rick ,the track operator, likes to give the little ones a chance to participate.

[ April 10, 2006, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: pquinnbmx ]
rob_lewis
Pat,

I'll talk to my son tonight on the way home and see if he's interested. (As if I don't already know the answer!)

I figured there would be plenty of used micro's around, I just haven't started looking real hard yet. Depending on how Wednesday night goes, I might be looking a little harder.

And, I was kidding about the Titan. I just remember them being one of the top mini's from BITD. I'll end up buying him a newer one.

See you Wednesday!

-Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.