Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minnesota 80's racing, stories,people and pics
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161
TheButterfield
That reminds me of something...

So many people have asked me this question:

What do local cyclist Rob Butterfield, Bicycle Guru Gene Oberpriller and Tour De France Sprint Legend Djamolidine Abdoujaparov have in common?

Who shall ever answer this question before midnight tonight February 28th, 2012?

The reward is the reward.

For those who don't know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djamolidine_Abdoujaparov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBtCaLYFKjo
TheButterfield

What do local cyclist Rob Butterfield, Bicycle Guru Gene Oberpriller and Tour De France Sprint Legend Djamolidine Abdoujaparov have in common?

Nobody got this????

I suppose nobody cares because Celebrity Apprentice started or Housewives of Atlanta.

My bad.

February 28th is Date of Birth for all the above. Huge party downtown last night. Sorry you missed it.
King of Pipeline
Yeah, Celebrity Apprentice was on.......It's tough to concentrate.....
TheButterfield
Someone from Rondo Team better chime in or this thread is dead.
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Not Team Rondo, but Happy Birthday Rob.
King of Pipeline
I bought an old issue of Total BMX from 1982 the other day and to my surprise it had coverage of the 1981 Rondo in it.. THere was a big picture of Manning in it.. and I seen Conley won cruiser both days...
John Sandberg
Djamolidine Abdoujaparov? Really, Rob??? Did you look up the spelling in google, or just have it burned into your brain from all the WCP videos circa the 1990s?

Anyway, I enjoyed a Scott Boecker sighting! Last Friday at the Barn for practice. He spent a good 15 minutes telling me how he's all old and outta shape and can't ride his bike anymore. Then we both line up for a gate and he rips my legs off down the first straight.

Lesson: Don't listen to Boecker, he still hauls ass.

There was discussion about returning this Friday. I hope it happens for both of us, and the rest of you yahoos.

I wonder if today Manning is walking around with his shirt off and listening to Loverboy on his boombox?
scott Boecker
Friday Night practice sounds really good again with the Sandbergs. Don't let John snow you he can still rips up the track. Only reason I could keep up with John was after he took 10 laps straight and than I got on the gate quick to ride. Hope 2 see some of you old schoolers at the barn on FRIDAY 4 practice
Paul Springer
Has anyone seen Sandberg, let him know the Minnesota Zoo concert schedule is posted!

rick kast
springloader, you able to make the spring ride saturday? I'm headed up for it.
bnd
Happy birthday Paul. drinks.gif

b.
Paul Springer
QUOTE (bnd @ Apr 27 2012, 05:57 PM) *
Happy birthday Paul. drinks.gif

b.

Thanks Bruce, hope to see you at ROCKFORD!
Heir Vendt
RIP-VAN-Wendt-el: Anyone still here?
TheButterfield

Might be the wrong place but I am getting many calls on this and do not know how to get many BMXers from BITD on the east side and WBL who knew my mother on the phone. So here is the bad news:

Previously Leanne Butterfield

http://www.sandbergfuneralhome.com/Obituaries.html

Leanne Joan Liljedahl
July 15, 2012

Age 68
Of North St. Paul

Passed away peacefully on July 15, 2012. Preceded in death by mother Mary June Liljedahl; mother-in-law June Butterfield; grandchildren William Robert & Lilli Noelle. Survived by children Athena, Robert (Michaele) & Elizabeth; grandchildren Amber, Robin, Emily, Graeme & Zoel; great grandchildren Brook Lynn & Jameson; father Donald "Dinny" Liljedahl; brothers Gary (Darlene), Denis (Charlene) & Brian (Lynn); loving companion Robert "Bing" Krumm; many relatives & friends.

Memorial gathering Thursday (7/19) 4-7 PM at SANDBERG FUNERAL HOME, 2593 E. 7th Ave., North St. Paul.
bigrig
QUOTE (TheButterfield @ Jul 19 2012, 02:29 PM) *
Might be the wrong place but I am getting many calls on this and do not know how to get many BMXers from BITD on the east side and WBL who knew my mother on the phone. So here is the bad news:

Previously Leanne Butterfield

http://www.sandbergfuneralhome.com/Obituaries.html

Leanne Joan Liljedahl
July 15, 2012

Age 68
Of North St. Paul

Passed away peacefully on July 15, 2012. Preceded in death by mother Mary June Liljedahl; mother-in-law June Butterfield; grandchildren William Robert & Lilli Noelle. Survived by children Athena, Robert (Michaele) & Elizabeth; grandchildren Amber, Robin, Emily, Graeme & Zoel; great grandchildren Brook Lynn & Jameson; father Donald "Dinny" Liljedahl; brothers Gary (Darlene), Denis (Charlene) & Brian (Lynn); loving companion Robert "Bing" Krumm; many relatives & friends.

Memorial gathering Thursday (7/19) 4-7 PM at SANDBERG FUNERAL HOME, 2593 E. 7th Ave., North St. Paul.

TheButterfield
Thank you all. It is very difficult. My mom brought me to my first BMX race in May 1981 (15 beginner in Eden Prarie) and she was on hand last year to watch my 9 year old race Land O Lakes Nationals in St. Cloud. She will be missed.
mikeauman
Very sorry for your loss Rob.

Prayers to you and your family.

TheButterfield
Thanks Mike.

My Mom was in her mid to late 30's in the 80's (pretty young for having 3 teenagers already) and she really got a kick out of all the goofy (clean non violent fun) and absolute craziness that we bestowed upon her. She still remembered all the locals BMXers who I hung with as well as non locals like Shawn S, Troy L, Berger, Big Bill, Nate B, Rick Kubat, Nicky Kraness, Theo and all the Richards Boys plus the WBL mafia Mike L, Rich S, and Tony A. and I know I am forgetting people so sorry. We actually discussed this very topic 2 months ago. Crazy.

EasyCheeseBMX
I was hoping someone could shed some light on my first trophy I got back in '83. I can't remember what track it's from- it says "North Star BMX". I do recall racing tracks in Brooklyn Park and Shorewood, Shakopee too. Anyone??
Currently, I founded and operate Greater Madison BMX in Madison, WI area. Who would of thought? www.madisonbmx.com
scott Boecker
im thinking Shakopee but not 100%
tfd2827
Just catching up & hope the recovery is going well DC! Was just thinking about how long is been since i've gotten to see you all battle it out at one of Minnesota's finest. DC, Auman, Kracker, Springer, Kast, and the rest of the gang. You guys always put on a helluva show & i was always gonna bring the cruiser out but the truth is, i never really enjoyed a whoopin' that much! Hope to see you guys around somewhere soon, TD
TheButterfield
I was showing my kid some vintage vids on usabmx.com and stumbled upon some local flavors

Found Mercado video 21-25 cruiser

http://www.usabmx.com/site/postings/699?section_id=50

Found Auman as well 26-30 Cruiser

http://www.usabmx.com/site/postings/663?section_id=50

How cool is that?

Quick edit: The link brings you to the page with all the vids from that particular race. Sorry I did not have a way to link directly.
mikeauman
QUOTE (TheButterfield @ Oct 24 2012, 12:28 PM) *
I was showing my kid some vintage vids on usabmx.com and stumbled upon some local flavors

Found Mercado video 21-25 cruiser

http://www.usabmx.com/site/postings/699?section_id=50

Found Auman as well 26-30 Cruiser

http://www.usabmx.com/site/postings/663?section_id=50

How cool is that?

Quick edit: The link brings you to the page with all the vids from that particular race. Sorry I did not have a way to link directly.

LOL, I seen that when they started posting them on there site. And I remember those races like it was last week! lol
TheButterfield
I wish they had 97 Land O Lakes on the list. Huge Pro turnout that year. Everyone was here.
TheButterfield
I think Hass, Auman, Sheely and Carlson were all together in 31-35 class that year.
TheButterfield
The videos are awesome and addicting.
TheButterfield
Seems I am conversing with myself here. If I were to take a jab at myself this would be the time no friends and all.

Anyway I was checking out Grands and just wanted to comment on the amazing Minnesota results in so many age groups both boys and girls. The Bomb leading the charge.
mikeauman
QUOTE (TheButterfield @ Nov 25 2012, 06:20 PM) *
Seems I am conversing with myself here. If I were to take a jab at myself this would be the time no friends and all.

Anyway I was checking out Grands and just wanted to comment on the amazing Minnesota results in so many age groups both boys and girls. The Bomb leading the charge.

Agreed
GhettoBMXstar
I watched the Grands all weekend, I'm really impressed with Minnesota BMX.
TheButterfield
Perhaps we should start a Keith Christensen thread.

Keith just added another win and podium appearances at the ABA Super Nationals in Desoto, TX.

46-50 CRUISER
1 KEITH CHRISTENSEN, JERRYS SCHWINN, COON RAPIDS, MN
2 DON HENSON, , PROSPER, TX
3 JERRY "BONZI" FIELDS, PCBMX.NET-SNAP-GHP-FDB, SAN ANTONIO, TX

The Bomb also nailed a AA podium Sunday.

AA PRO
1 SAM WILLOUGHBY, REDLINE, CHULA VISTA, CA
2 JOEY (THE BOMB) BERTHIAUME, MIDWEST MILITIA/REHBEINS, ST PAUL, MN
3 CONNOR FIELDS, CHASE BMX, HENDERSON, NV

So may Minnesotans in the results it is amazing. Rock on!

http://www.usabmx.com/site/bmx_races/35433...p;section_id=25

bigrig
Rite on !!
mikeauman
QUOTE (TheButterfield @ Mar 25 2013, 11:37 AM) *
Perhaps we should start a Keith Christensen thread.

Keith just added another win and podium appearances at the ABA Super Nationals in Desoto, TX.

46-50 CRUISER
1 KEITH CHRISTENSEN, JERRYS SCHWINN, COON RAPIDS, MN
2 DON HENSON, , PROSPER, TX
3 JERRY "BONZI" FIELDS, PCBMX.NET-SNAP-GHP-FDB, SAN ANTONIO, TX

The Bomb also nailed a AA podium Sunday.

AA PRO
1 SAM WILLOUGHBY, REDLINE, CHULA VISTA, CA
2 JOEY (THE BOMB) BERTHIAUME, MIDWEST MILITIA/REHBEINS, ST PAUL, MN
3 CONNOR FIELDS, CHASE BMX, HENDERSON, NV

So may Minnesotans in the results it is amazing. Rock on!

http://www.usabmx.com/site/bmx_races/35433...p;section_id=25

Rob, Kieth ended up 3rd sat and sun in the 51-55 cruiser class.
And yes Joey was killing it all weekend! He had a little trouble in the semis on saturday and ended up 5th.
But he turned that around for Sunday!
TheButterfield
My head just fell off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=7ZmJtYaUTa0
tfd2827
No rims were harmed in the making of this video.. um yeah.. great vid though, thanks for sharing!
Paul Springer
There was a little chatter last night at Rehbeins talkin about Rockford (June 21-23) anyone thinking about maybe going?
scott Boecker
I talk 2 Brad A last night and he said he was going. He is working on getting to 6 Nat'ls so he can get a Nag plate.
John Sandberg
Wow, I took an Ambien and fell into a DEEP sleep! Yowza!

Anyway, when I woke up I noticed the following photos of old-school Minnesota BMXers on my phone.

Guess which one is me, and which one is Rob Lindstrom (aka The Butterfield).

Guess which one is me, and which one is Gene Oberpriller.

Guess which one is me, and which one is Steve Redelsperger.

First person to get all three answers correct wins a day of riding instruction with Jeff Manning and the rest of the BJ's Bike Shop team at the Brooklyn Park track.

Now... back to the Ambien...

P.S. I wonder how long it will be before Manning reads this?
TheButterfield
You goosed me just then John, yikes! Growing out my forehead as you can see. The Butterfield is #1.

Dont know the other guys.

Great chance to say holy crap how many Minnesota racers KILLED it in Rockford and are killing it all over USA BMX.

Amazing, one local 12 year old hotshoe eclipsed my entire career in a weekend. Not really sure how I feel about it.

Truthishly though, it is amazing what Minnesota has produced in BMX the past 10 years.

Sad to see the relic with the giant forehead eyeballing Dans Comp for BMX stuff. Better off on Easter Island with the 887 monolithic stone statues. Make it an even 888. Or is that the number of the Bees.... ?

scott Boecker
Condo Classic is here Sept 21st at 5pm @ Rum River BMX in Isanti. Hope to see all you OLDschools there. biggrin.gif
John Sandberg
Scott Boecker isn't just one of us old guys, he's flippin' KILLING IT in terms of cop-coolness (and YouTube hits).

Check out THIS NEWS STORY about THE MAN!

(URL in case the link doesn't work): http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/929578...ves-goes-viral/

Seriously-cool Scott!
Paul Springer

He has always been a big deal, I looked up to him when he captained the MC Freestyle Team. I am sure Conley has some archived footage.

QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Sep 12 2013, 11:17 AM) *
Scott Boecker isn't just one of us old guys, he's flippin' KILLING IT in terms of cop-coolness (and YouTube hits).

Check out THIS NEWS STORY about THE MAN!

(URL in case the link doesn't work): http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/929578...ves-goes-viral/

Seriously-cool Scott!

scott Boecker
Oldschooler get together and ride

Rehbeins indoor BMX

Feb 15th at 7pm to 10pm

Riding, Pizza, and Drinks
Bring old bikes, pictures, and video to share
Please spread to all old school BMXers
Alots of FUN and RIDING
John Sandberg
Scott (and everyone else that went to the crusty old guys day)-

Sorry, but this is the first time I came to this thread since 2004 and I missed the old school party. I'm lame.

I hope all you crustys are doing well, free from injury and are ready for the Rondo Classic at the Civic Center. Sweet new whoop-like jumps this year.

My boy hasn't had much appetite for BMX for a year or so, thus our lack of participation. Damn kids these days, all they want to do is play Asteroids and Donkey Kong.

For the few of you who pedal MTN bikes, the Penn/Buck Thursday races begin on May 8. Show up and ride with me, Dave C., Scott Kraker, Stu Thomsen and Denny Davidow.

BTW, I found an old JMC at a garage sale recently for $25. Rusty, but has some Phil hubs, Campy cranks and hutch pedals. I probably won't do anything with it, so if anyone wants if for the price I paid, just say the word and I'll get it to you.
mikeauman
QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Mar 17 2014, 08:59 AM) *
Scott (and everyone else that went to the crusty old guys day)-

Sorry, but this is the first time I came to this thread since 2004 and I missed the old school party. I'm lame.

I hope all you crustys are doing well, free from injury and are ready for the Rondo Classic at the Civic Center. Sweet new whoop-like jumps this year.

My boy hasn't had much appetite for BMX for a year or so, thus our lack of participation. Damn kids these days, all they want to do is play Asteroids and Donkey Kong.

For the few of you who pedal MTN bikes, the Penn/Buck Thursday races begin on May 8. Show up and ride with me, Dave C., Scott Kraker, Stu Thomsen and Denny Davidow.

BTW, I found an old JMC at a garage sale recently for $25. Rusty, but has some Phil hubs, Campy cranks and hutch pedals. I probably won't do anything with it, so if anyone wants if for the price I paid, just say the word and I'll get it to you.

John I will buy it from you. I will send you a pm with my contact info.
John Sandberg
Does the BMX outdoor season kick off at Richfield, Brooklyn Park or Eden Prarie?

Either way, I will be there. Just have to swap the Stadium tires with some new Comp III from BJ's.
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Good new John. Knobby tires aren't necessary any longer. The time you save changing tires can be spent drilling out your pedal washers for quicker acceleration. This is a tip I learned from a guy named Cushman.
J.T.
I was so bummed I didn't see you guys racin' this season at...

Brooklyn Park

Eden Prairie

Richfield

Guess it will have to be indoors at Rehbeins
John Sandberg
Guys, I think the first race at the Mpls. Armory is this weekend. I'm pretty sure that Bob Lurtsema will be there as a guest announcer.

Is this the year that Jag/Jox makes a big splash as a shoe alternative to Vans?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.