Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minnesota 80's racing, stories,people and pics
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161
donny1
We need a track like this around here. First you need a 59/12 gear for that starting hill...
Do you think we could Kevin to put in a gate like this in Isanti?

http://vimeo.com/5435876
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
I don't think there is any footage of the 41-45 class. We need Jack to record both classes next time. I know Sandberg has both mains from the Condo recorded. John, when you get some time, send your pictures and video to Conley so he can link it on his site.

BTW, congrats to DC for pulling off two second place finishes at the New York national this weekend. Great job Dave.
MN2Z
QUOTE (WBL BMXer - aka Chucky @ Jul 20 2009, 07:56 AM) *
I don't think there is any footage of the 41-45 class. We need Jack to record both classes next time. I know Sandberg has both mains from the Condo recorded. John, when you get some time, send your pictures and video to Conley so he can link it on his site.

BTW, congrats to DC for pulling off two second place finishes at the New York national this weekend. Great job Dave.

Thanks Scott! Thanks for the MN support! I felt bad not being part of the MN action this past weekend, but here again this weekend! All be it not as many participants in the 46-50 Cruiser, still some fast guys. Dugan Neil OFR/C-YAA® just smoked me down the 1st straight – great guy. We talked a lot over the weekend. After the main on Saturday, we pulled off our helmets off and the 1st thing he said: “Go team Tahoe” Enjoyed some good chuckles, great to meet so many good people and their kids. See you guys this weekend!

WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Isanti's starting gate provides for all kinds of starting technique. Here we have Dan Wenisch with the classic snap, Springer with the crouching tiger, and some guy (maybe Lynn Austin) on the right with the one-footed start.

King of Pipeline
Lynn Austin is all over... That guy is stoke....
bnd
I notice Isanti has a right hander for a first turn. It's been so long since I v'e raced on a track that went right I prolly wouldn't know how to take it! rolleyes.gif

Full race reports from your national would be appreciated. (& pics!) smile.gif

b.
usab1
QUOTE (WBL BMXer - aka Chucky @ Jul 20 2009, 12:20 PM) *
Isanti's starting gate provides for all kinds of starting technique. Here we have Dan Wenisch with the classic snap, Springer with the crouching tiger, and some guy (maybe Lynn Austin) on the right with the one-footed start.

I think the crouching tiger technique is making a come back, but the one-footed start is still a classic.
Jeff Manning
QUOTE (usab1 @ Jul 21 2009, 12:18 AM) *
I think the crouching tiger technique is making a come back, but the one-footed start is still a classic.

Sheely and myself with a classic 1- footer

Conley and Sheely with the "Snap"

Lembke with his brake still on!!

Funniest looking gate starter I've ever seen!!

Vintage starting hills.. laugh.gif

Shawn Sheely MN-1
Nice pics Jeff, I think that's the only pic I've ever seen of myself on my G-Boy. I didn't even realize we raced each other back then - I see Keith lined up there behind us in BP. Man that gate is HUGE!
Mercado
QUOTE (Jeff Manning @ Jul 20 2009, 08:41 PM) *
Sheely and myself with a classic 1- footer

Conley and Sheely with the "Snap"

Lembke with his brake still on!!

Funniest looking gate starter I've ever seen!!

Vintage starting hills.. laugh.gif

Jeff,

I don't know if you noticed but in the first picture there is a kid sitting on the side of the hill with a red pro-tec helmet watching and that is yours truly being safe as always....
J.T.
The Brooklyn Park days were such a blast! Thanks for posting Jeff!

Sorry couldn't make it to the Condo as I've been continually injured this season...long story!

After somewhat healing up I met up with two friends originally from Duluth, Todd Holcomb and Keith Norbie, who live out near Chanhassen now. After 25 years of not riding together we finally met up at the St. Boni community track that something we made the most of but most of all their kids had a blast watching us old farts do classic power slides, power wheelies, tabletops, roll backs, kick turns, and some big airs!

Haven't rode since Rehbeins so a tad rusty and one of the huge jumps I made then tried to put on my brake not to hit a telephone pole and BAM, my hand falls off the grip and crash again on my left side injuring myself again.

We were having so much fun I kept riding and that's what it is all about. Didn't take too many photos but here's a little slideshow of the action and Todd's clip off of his phone. Todd and Keith never lost the BMX skills so get out there and ride biggrin.gif

BMX fun 25 years later!

John Sandberg
Condo Crashfest video will be posted to YouTube this afternoon.
Gary Walton
Just heard "Big Rig" Bill Nelson broke his pelvis racing in Oskosh last weekend. No surgery but he's out of work for 12 weeks. Bill's been making a sneaky comeback at some Wisconsin tracks this summer and doing a lot of road riding, so he's pretty bummed to be on the shelf.
John Sandberg
Condo Classic video footage is here:

40-and-over Main (ouch!)

39-and-under Main

Trophy Dash (Brad Apold Sucks)

40-and-over Moto 1 (Auman's Auger)
mikeauman
Great footage john.
MN2Z
I think MN Mike was “texting” while going through turn one and caused a pile-up! B.W.T. (Biking While Texting) “Hey Charity don’t worry about me crashing, sure there has been injuries and deaths in BMX, but none of them serious”

tfd2827
QUOTE (Gary Walton @ Jul 21 2009, 01:51 PM) *
Just heard "Big Rig" Bill Nelson broke his pelvis racing in Oskosh last weekend. No surgery but he's out of work for 12 weeks. Bill's been making a sneaky comeback at some Wisconsin tracks this summer and doing a lot of road riding, so he's pretty bummed to be on the shelf.

Thanks Mr Walton, I had'nt heard that. Yes, the guy is still incredibly fast on both the 20 & the cruiser. Always sucks to hear about a BMXer gettin hurt on the track. Speedy recovery to you Big Rig!
Shawn Sheely MN-1
Thanks John!

So, which or you brown guys was going into the first turn so hot in the 40+? I can't believe the speed you picked up after the second jump.
King of Pipeline
Lamarsh or Conely sure know technology.... SPent most of the evening doing just this...
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
QUOTE (Shawn Sheely MN-1 @ Jul 21 2009, 07:20 PM) *
Thanks John!

So, which or you brown guys was going into the first turn so hot in the 40+? I can't believe the speed you picked up after the second jump.

That would be Mike with all that speed. The guy is simply amazing. Thanks for posting the videos John. Can you post up some of your pictures. If I remember right, you had some pretty good shots.

Sad to hear about Bill's crash in Wisconsin. It was great having him back again. Get well soon Big Rig.
Jeff Manning
QUOTE (Shawn Sheely MN-1 @ Jul 21 2009, 05:10 AM) *
Nice pics Jeff, I think that's the only pic I've ever seen of myself on my G-Boy. I didn't even realize we raced each other back then - I see Keith lined up there behind us in BP. Man that gate is HUGE!

Vintage Sheely on his G-Spot, Uhhm, G-Boy

On a what might be a Torker here? JT might know.. biggrin.gif

Jeff Manning
Vintage indoor Austin: Parade lap....DC, Victor D., Daniels, Thessen..SP?, Woody, ect

My first Haro lighting bolt plate. These numbers were made out of felt..Can't believe I remember that. ohmy.gif

STINGCOMP
Manning,

Those are some cool old pics.

What time does racing start at on Saturday at LOL NATS? I am not racing but weather permitting I would like to take in the action.
donny1
QUOTE (STINGCOMP @ Jul 22 2009, 09:27 PM) *
Manning,

Those are some cool old pics.

What time does racing start at on Saturday at LOL NATS? I am not racing but weather permitting I would like to take in the action.

Friday Pre-Race
Registration closes at 5:00pm NO EXCEPTIONS
Race: 6:00pm Awards: 1st - 4th place only

National Registration:
Friday: Fri/Sat/Sun events 2:00pm - 5:00pm |(closed - 5:00pm to 6:30pm)| Sat/Sun events 6:30pm until end of Pre-Race
Saturday: Sat/Sun events 7:30am - 9:30am | Sun event only: 12 noon - 3:00pm
Sunday: NO REGISTRATION - NO EXCEPTIONS

National Race Times:
Saturday: registration closes @ 9:30am (NO EXCEPTIONS ) | Race: 11:30am
Sunday: gates open: 7:00am - corrections 7:00 - 7:30am only! | Race: 8:00am
AWARDS TO ALL IN MAIN

PRACTICE
FRIDAY
CLASS
SATURDAY
2:30- 2:55 pm
13 & under Cruisers
8:00-8:25 am
2:55-3:20 pm
14 & over Cruisers
8:25-8:50 am
3:20-3:45 pm
7 & under Boys/Girls
8:50-9:15 am
3:45-4:10 pm
8-10 Boys/Girls
9:15-9:40 am
4:10-4:35 pm
11-13 Boys/Girls
9:40-10:05 am
4:35-5:00 pm
14-16 Boys/Girls
10:05-10:30 am
5:00-5:25 pm
17 & Over Boys/Girls
10:30-10:55 am
5:25-5:50 pm
PRO- UCI Men / Women
10:55-11:20 am
Shawn Sheely MN-1
QUOTE (Jeff Manning @ Jul 22 2009, 09:06 PM) *
Vintage Sheely on his G-Spot, Uhhm, G-Boy

Wow! Thanks Jeff. I'm pretty sure I still have the Race Face mask somewhere ... really cool to see so many pics on the G-boy. You and I must have raced each other more than anyone I raced - so many good battles over 5 years.

This one would have been from the same era. At 14, 1979 - wearing my Dad's snowmobile helmet.

The Plates:

JoeLamarsh
Good luck to all heading to Isanti this weekend! Be safe!
JoeLamarsh
QUOTE (Shawn Sheely MN-1 @ Jul 23 2009, 12:07 AM) *
Wow! Thanks Jeff. I pretty sure I still have the Race Face mask somewhere ... really cool to see so many pics on the G-boy. You and I must have raced each other more than anyone I raced - so many good battles over 5 years.

This one would have been from the same era. At 14, 1979 - wearing my Dad's snowmobile helmet.

Holy Chit Cheely, put on some weight! You look the same now! laugh.gif

Come and hang with the elders this weekend at Isanti. (for some reason I feel you will show up and clean house without telling us anyway wink.gif )
Shawn Sheely MN-1
QUOTE (JoeLamarsh @ Jul 23 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Holy Chit Cheely, put on some weight! You look the same now! laugh.gif

Come and hang with the elders this weekend at Isanti. (for some reason I feel you will show up and clean house without telling us anyway wink.gif )

Yea, I know - should have been a road racer. Seeing those photos .. man I was a skinny little guy.

I was thinking about making a visit - I'm solo this weekend, may end up riding the moto bike up to spectate if the weather is good - are you guys camping on Saturday?
MN2Z
QUOTE (Shawn Sheely MN-1 @ Jul 23 2009, 12:34 AM) *
Yea, I know - should have been a road racer. Seeing those photos .. man I was a skinny little guy.

I was thinking about making a visit - I'm solo this weekend, may end up riding the moto bike up to spectate if the weather is good - are you guys camping on Saturday?

Shawn – great vintage photos of you. If you would have put a few laps in prior to the Nat. would have been fun to see you run, you would do well! Camping Fri/Sat. back row, next to pin trees, site next to me, Sandbox is waste dump site, but they promised me ~ No smell! Look for sign: “RV Dump Site”. Movies will work this weekend. Springer promised cold beer for M.C. Inc. and friends.

Paul Springer
This weekend is going to be a good one, racing or spectating there is guaranteed fun. Great photo's guys, I heard DC is bringing his time machine and we will be taking a trip back to 1981 so iron your Op cord shorts and bring your safety pins to pin your jeans. Sheely, don't forget your break board! good3.gif
donny1
QUOTE (Paul Springer @ Jul 23 2009, 07:04 AM) *
This weekend is going to be a good one, racing or spectating there is guaranteed fun. Great photo's guys, I heard DC is bringing his time machine and we will be taking a trip back to 1981 so iron your Op cord shorts and bring your safety pins to pin your jeans. Sheely, don't forget your break board! good3.gif

OP cords. Wow, I forgot about those. I actually owned a blue pair..
This weekend is going to be great. The ABA trailer is already there and set-up. They had temporary lights set-up last night and all the banner fencing was up. It's gonna be fun...Does anybody know who puts up the individual canopy's around the perimeter of the track? Are they the ABA's or are they individual's that get there extremely early?
They are already lined up all the way around the finish line side and all chained together...I call dibs on one.... good2.gif
King of Pipeline
Lamarsh

[/quote]
Paul Springer
QUOTE (donny1 @ Jul 23 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Does anybody know who puts up the individual canopy's around the perimeter of the track? Are they the ABA's or are they individual's that get there extremely early?
They are already lined up all the way around the finish line side and all chained together...I call dibs on one.... good2.gif

It is first come first serve and if they are full your out of luck!

The ATR compound will be back in the camping area in the back row along the pine trees. Conley, Sandberg, Christensen & Springer will be there camping. DC will be airing Moto Radio through the camper so we can follow along smile.gif Spots are already reserved so bring your folding chair and relax. There will be more DVD movies and slideshows playing in the evening on the projector so everyone is welcome to hang out and enjoy the fun!

bnd
Good luck you guys!
I'm pretty sure Russ is racing as is Raymonde from Cailfornia. Updates & pics Paul!!

b.
Shawn Sheely MN-1
QUOTE (MN2Z @ Jul 23 2009, 06:16 AM) *
Shawn – great vintage photos of you. If you would have put a few laps in prior to the Nat. would have been fun to see you run, you would do well!

Yea, it's tempting, but I'll leave this weekend to the real racers - I've been pretty lucky on the track the last couple of years, no sense pushing it at a big event (although I'm sure Turbo Mike would like another shot at me soon!) I'm hoping things work out this weekend and I can make it up on Saturday - to watch.

Good luck to all of you guys - ride safe, ride smart - and have fun.
JoeLamarsh
Rumor has it, that Apold just rolled up in Isanti in his 400k Factory Wells Fargo coach. Someone please confirm....
JoeLamarsh
[quote name='King of Pipeline' date='Jul 23 2009, 01:07 PM' post='827028']
Lamarsh

Thats not Lamarsh's belly. Not sure who that is
Paul Springer
QUOTE (bnd @ Jul 23 2009, 03:23 PM) *
Good luck you guys!
I'm pretty sure Russ is racing as is Raymonde from Cailfornia. Updates & pics Paul!!

b.

10-4
Jeff Manning
Good luck to all of you Minnesotains in this weekends Nationals.

Kick azz, and bring home the hardware!!
good3.gif

Good luck to all the Dinosaurs too! Try to leave your competition in your dust like DC used to! wink.gif

Ffejtech
A page or so back, there was a post from JT about riding some city park type BMX trails in St. Bonifacius, anyone know where those are, or what park? Thanks, JEFF
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Great night of racing. Auman took the 41-45, and Kern took the 36-40.

The best part is we are now just sitting down to watch some movies on DC's outdoor theater. Sitting around the campfire is Springer, Conley, Kast, DC, Walton, White and myself. Springer is grilling for us. Just an awesome night.

More updates later.
STINGCOMP
NIce job Auman.

Save me a burger!!.

How many riders in the cooter class?

I should be able to catch up with some of you tomorrow.
donny1
QUOTE (WBL BMXer - aka Chucky @ Jul 24 2009, 09:48 PM) *
Great night of racing. Auman took the 41-45, and Kern took the 36-40.

The best part is we are now just sitting down to watch some movies on DC's outdoor theater. Sitting around the campfire is Springer, Conley, Kast, DC, Walton, White and myself. Springer is grilling for us. Just an awesome night.

More updates later.

I knew I should have stayed. I really needed my speed sleep for tomorrow though....plus the dog has been locked up for ,oohh, 12 hours...
Have fun guys and I will c-yall bright and early...
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Another great day in Isanti. Team ATR did really well today. Highlights from today's racing:

36-40 cruiser - Don Kern took a 3rd in an insane class

41-45 cruiser - Mike Auman took 2nd, I took 3rd, Springer 8th.

46-50 cruiser - Jeff Moe took 3rd and DC 4th

41+ 20" - DC 1st, Rick Kast 2nd

STINGCOMP

Hope these work
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
Thanks for adding the pictures Mike. It was great to see you at the track.

The first shot is the 36-40 mainwith Don Kern in 3rd. The second shot is the 46-50 main with Jeff Moe in 3rd, DC in 4th after some trouble on the first straight. The last one is the 41-45 main with Robert Raymonde leading Mike Auman and me.

Last night was another great night of camping at the track. We couldn't have asked for a better weekend. The Christensen's mobile movie theater has been a lot of fun. Last night the other half of the team spent the night and served up a mean batch of popcorn. Thanks Tamera.

Forgot to add a special happy birthday wish to Jeff Moe yesterday. The calender says he's another year older but you would never know it by racing against this guy.
mikeauman
I just want to say thank's for the GREAT weekend,with the fantastic ATR TEAM!!! everyone rode perfect
see you all at the next race.
Paul Springer
Fun times and weather was ideal.

BIG kudo's to Kevin Reidman and his crew, there was a lot of buzz around the track comparing Isanti/RUm River to the Rockford track.

I am thoroughly wiped out exhausted and still have a big old smile on my face!

The thrill of the weekend for me was Kraker & Auman doing so well in 41-45, DC kickin it on his new 20 inch and best of all was Cal Christensen getting first on Sunday in the main, DC you have to learn how to control those tears, truly AWESOME! good2.gif

You guys ROCK! I am menatlly fried and will add more later... wacko2.gif
trackdady
To All the ATR gang....

You guys are a class act and I enjoy every minute of time we get to chill out.

It is an unbelievable honor to be compared to rockford and I heard it 100 times if I heard it once - thanks to everyone who supports us as in anyway.

The only thing we will ever claim is that we will work our arse off to put on our best show we can for you the riders and your family!

From the entire crew that makes us who we are... Thank you and we will see you the last week of Aug.
donny1
Great job this weekend everyone. It was fun as usual.. I am looking forward to next year already...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.