Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minnesota 80's racing, stories,people and pics
VintageBMX.com > VintageBMX Talk > The Tracks We Raced
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161
STINGCOMP
Hey Guys,

I am bringing my son to the Rehbeins BMX clinic next Saturday. He is a new rider w/ an old school ride(his choice) Do they work on gate starts and riding?? He has never been on a track before. I will say he is pretty excited to get started.

I myself am slowly working on my old Schwinn and a newer RedLine Cruiser. I bought the frame/fork setup from somebody at the track. It seems like its in good shape. Oh yeah if anyone has some cheap cruiser wheels I may be interested in them.

Somebody here was sporting a Bell helmet. I may be sporting my old MENO helmet.

Mike
MN2Z
QUOTE (Paul Springer @ Mar 22 2009, 03:43 PM) *
YES, Rick let us know how it went today (?)

We had fun at Rehbeins Indoor with total points Jeff Moe, Scott Kraker & myself in 41-45 Cruiser it went:

Jeff Moe 1-2-2
Scott Kraker 2-1-1
Paul Springer 3-3-3

Big props to Scott "Chucky" Kraker for pulling off the win, it was some of the best racing I have seen in a while and everyone had a blast. They were 2 wide in concession corner bumpin bars a good bit. Everyone stayed up and it was a super fun day! Good job Scotty! good3.gif

Congratulations Scott! Good to see you’re upright getting some traction! Keeping Smoke’n Moe® on his toes… Photo of Joe Lamarsh trophy collection

Paul Springer
QUOTE (STINGCOMP @ Mar 22 2009, 07:58 PM) *
Hey Guys,

I am bringing my son to the Rehbeins BMX clinic next Saturday. He is a new rider w/ an old school ride(his choice) Do they work on gate starts and riding?? He has never been on a track before. I will say he is pretty excited to get started.

I myself am slowly working on my old Schwinn and a newer RedLine Cruiser. I bought the frame/fork setup from somebody at the track. It seems like its in good shape. Oh yeah if anyone has some cheap cruiser wheels I may be interested in them.

Somebody here was sporting a Bell helmet. I may be sporting my old MENO helmet.

Mike

Mike-

If your son has never been on a track before you may want to bring him to a few practices. Tuesday practices are pretty quite and might be best. That way he could be introduced to the track & sport at his pace. Isanti/Rum River has some great newbie workshops. Kevin has been doing the "never ever" workshops and he is extremely patient and very good at working with the new kids. If your son jumps in to a clinic right away he might be a little intimadated by the rest of the group, typically the clinics have kids that can be riding a bit. The gate can also be intimadating as well. I just thought I would share my 2 cents of hanging around for the last three years at Rehbeins. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you out at the track! smile.gif

I have a set of used cruiser rims with crupi hubs that might work for you. LMK
rick kast
QUOTE (Bryan Franklin @ Mar 22 2009, 11:48 PM) *
Yeah that Dickerson guy is one fast cat for sure.
We might have more of a chance to get in front of him when we get outside.

Can any of you guys can make it over to Hobart in a couple of weeks for their State Championship Race on April 4th?

The Redline Cup race they had was pretty awesome. Some guy named DC was even there! cool.gif
And I'm not talking about Zizzo either....even though he was there too. tongue.gif

It would be cool if a bunch of you guys could head over for the weekend. Rockford races on their outdoor track the next day, so you can hit that on the way back to MN. good3.gif
Get some track time before the National in June.

Rick, that's cool you are going to race cruiser. You will have a lot of fun on that too.

i was going to go to rockford anyway, that is a def'n maybe.
those turkeys still owe me 2 first place trophys from 02 when i was down there with morey/dickerson's/mauer.
MN2Z
How about BITD circa: 1982 this guy has a corporate sponsorship with Vans® and forgets to tell the sponsor his shoe size?

Heir Vendt
QUOTE (mikeauman @ Mar 20 2009, 03:38 PM) *
I seen that bike in jamaca.

And that looks the car we rented in mexico.

Nice job Scott!
B. Apold
QUOTE (MN2Z @ Mar 23 2009, 07:54 PM) *
How about BITD circa: 1982 this guy has a corporate sponsorship with Vans® and forgets to tell the sponsor his shoe size?

That is funny. What makes me really laff is you decided to save that all these years, knowing the day would come when you could show everyone... Its funny.
STINGCOMP
Springer-Thanks for the info. I just got an e-mail back from Doug and it sounds like this is going to be good for my son. On the wheel set what kind of price? What color combo are they? Would you post a pic for me.

Okay now I got something for MN2Z and the rest. I just busted out some dvd's I got off of Ebay a few months back and it has the 1982 Gold Cup Qualifier at Richfield, MN. This was part of an ESPN series. Guess who won AA pro? Then guess who got knocked down after the race was clearly over? If you guessed #50 you were correct.

There is not alot of coverage but just to name a few there is Sheely, Manning in 15 over open, Erickson in A pro and D.C. & Redelsberger in AA pro. Hey Redelsberger what's with the BXC jersey?

I am in there for a brief second or two in staging waiting for my race. Only reason I know it's me is because of the helmet.

Sometime if someone brings a tv/dvd combo to Rehbeins I'll bring the disc you guys can see it.

There is other races that has Ted Carl 1981 Indy world championships. Nice Schwinn Ted
John Sandberg
Dave, I want to know how you have that letter, since it should definitely be in small collection of memorabilia I actually kept from BITD.

Classic.

What I'd give my lefty for would be the original letter I wrote to VANS. For sure written in marker on Mead Notebook paper... and I remember writing something to the effect of, "These days, a lot of racers are using Keds. I can promote VANS so they stay popular..."

D'oh!

King of Pipeline
Begging for Vans... That would be a great letter.. Even though Vans were the worst BMX shoe, we all had them..
That's a great letter. I'd keep something like that too..
Jeff Manning
VANS are great to live in "Down by the River" huh.gif
B. Apold
I still love vans, but there just not the same with these lame @ss wide leg'd Levis. You can't even see the shoes with some of them... I miss the ol' tappper Levi's®. Call me 80's I don't care!!
Paul Springer
Vans do rule, I posted this pic up on the Vans thread of me in 1979 at Shoreview pickin up some hardware. I wish I could get those lace up Style 95's in navy & red.

Photo courtesy to Ted "Danny Partridge" Carl
B. Apold
QUOTE (Paul Springer @ Mar 25 2009, 02:31 AM) *
Vans do rule, I posted this pic up on the Vans thread of me in 1979 at Shoreview pickin up some hardware. I wish I could get those lace up Style 95's in navy & red.

Truth be told, my Dad still has his original 95's in navy/red and his B&W checks. Grandma Polly still has her original jungle prints which cannot be had any longer. Pretty cool!
STINGCOMP
Brad,

Were the jungle prints black and green? I had those in a slip on. I think I wore those suckers tell they crumbled.
King of Pipeline
If you haven't noticed the tapped pants are back in style. But there is no way i'm falling back into that trap. I'm more of a bell bottom type. I'm sticking with that look.
Mercado
QUOTE (STINGCOMP @ Mar 23 2009, 06:59 PM) *
Springer-Thanks for the info. I just got an e-mail back from Doug and it sounds like this is going to be good for my son. On the wheel set what kind of price? What color combo are they? Would you post a pic for me.

Okay now I got something for MN2Z and the rest. I just busted out some dvd's I got off of Ebay a few months back and it has the 1982 Gold Cup Qualifier at Richfield, MN. This was part of an ESPN series. Guess who won AA pro? Then guess who got knocked down after the race was clearly over? If you guessed #50 you were correct.

There is not alot of coverage but just to name a few there is Sheely, Manning in 15 over open, Erickson in A pro and D.C. & Redelsberger in AA pro. Hey Redelsberger what's with the BXC jersey?

I am in there for a brief second or two in staging waiting for my race. Only reason I know it's me is because of the helmet.

Sometime if someone brings a tv/dvd combo to Rehbeins I'll bring the disc you guys can see it.

There is other races that has Ted Carl 1981 Indy world championships. Nice Schwinn Ted

I think that was the year that I won the 11x or 12x class and the Hutch factory team was there.
John Sandberg
QUOTE (Paul Springer @ Mar 24 2009, 09:31 PM) *

Question I'm afraid to ask (but will anyway): The tan-suited photographer on the right...what is he doing with his hands?
Jeff Manning
QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Mar 25 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Question I'm afraid to ask (but will anyway): The tan-suited photographer on the right...what is he doing with his hands?

He's adjusting his shutter speed... mellow.gif
King of Pipeline
Somebody on here should go through they're old love letters and find that guy so we can see some of his BMX pics from that day..
mikkopeters
Look at that pic a little closer.
That's Conley deep undercover. wink.gif
Paul Springer
I just got off the phone with Doug "The Hammer" Carlson. He is threatening to start riding BMX again after he perfects his new found love, GOLF... He is doing good and informed me that his knee is 97.375% healed and might go to Rehbeins on Friday. Look out world!
B. Apold
QUOTE (Paul Springer @ Mar 25 2009, 09:33 PM) *
I just got off the phone with Doug "The Hammer" Carlson. He is threatening to start riding BMX again after he perfects his new found love, GOLF... He is doing good and informed me that his knee is 97.375% healed and might go to Rehbeins on Friday. Look out world!

ARG! its month end but I'll do my best to hit the barn Friday night. Saturday I'm racing. Look out Strehlo and Rixen. Heeehee. If I make the main it'll be a miracle
mikeauman
I gonna try make it out fri night,sat and sunday.
Ted Carl
QUOTE (John Sandberg @ Mar 25 2009, 09:30 AM) *

He's playin' a little pocket pool. I remember him sayin' "Hey Sandmunch, care for an away game?" laugh.gif

We're still trying to figure out who he is. My dad, SS's dad, gate man Bill Saucen (RIP), Chris Cox, and looks like Dan Boyce, or Tim Boyce, but it seems late in the game for Tim, but Dan never wore glasses, so methinks Tim. and I see Pauly, and I see.... ???

So who won that away game anyway Johnny?
mikkopeters
The Hammer. A timeless classic and an icon of MN BMX.
Jeff Manning
QUOTE (mikkopeters @ Mar 26 2009, 02:39 AM) *
The Hammer. A timeless classic and an icon of MN BMX.

Ah Yes,

A timeless classic, like Jeff Spicoli and Fast Times at Ridgemont High! good3.gif
B. Apold
QUOTE (Jeff Manning @ Mar 26 2009, 11:53 PM) *
Ah Yes,

A timeless classic, like Jeff Spicoli and Fast Times at Ridgemont High! good3.gif

Or Jeff #1 Manning®
mikeauman
Jeff, you still living up north.
mikeauman
Is this g-ray's bike on craigs list.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/bik/1093009936.html

Just wondering
Paul Springer
QUOTE (mikeauman @ Mar 26 2009, 09:12 PM) *
Is this g-ray's bike on craigs list.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/bik/1093009936.html

Yaaaa, yoooo betcha!

ROLL CALL: Who is practicing tomorrow?
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
I'm in for practice night.
MN2Z
QUESTION: Does anyone know if this event is still on? I can’t find any info on ATR™ Joe Lamarsh?

WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
I heard Lamarsh is making his big comeback in Cannon Falls that weekend. biggrin.gif

DC, are you going to practice tonight?
JoeLamarsh
QUOTE (WBL BMXer - aka Chucky @ Mar 27 2009, 12:34 PM) *
I heard Lamarsh is making his big comeback in Cannon Falls that weekend. biggrin.gif

I heard that wooosey Manpie is showing up to get his revenge
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
QUOTE (JoeLamarsh @ Mar 27 2009, 01:04 PM) *

I'm retired. laugh.gif

BTW - you should really have your helmet strapped on. You look a little scared dragging that foot.
Jeff Manning
QUOTE (MN2Z @ Mar 27 2009, 04:14 PM) *
QUESTION: Does anyone know if this event is still on? I can’t find any info on ATR™ Joe Lamarsh?

MN2Z- I believe that is Mike Poulson trying to get Rad in that event ad. I know you secretly trained with him in a private undercover camp in the mountains of Mormon land. He can give you more details on that race in question.

Since I raced against Mr. Poulson a few times as a young lad. When I would line up next to him on the gate and he would be praying, babling a few things like, GIVE ME THE STRENGTH OF DC, and LET ME BE LIKE DC. It would totally psych me out.

DC- I need to know what went on at those secret camps. And don't tell me all you did is do sprints, run bleachers, and eat pizza.

Please DC, tell us a bedtime story.
. popcorm2.gif
Jeff Manning

Manpie...Hmm, thats Catchy.. mellow.gif
MN2Z
QUOTE (WBL BMXer - aka Chucky @ Mar 27 2009, 12:34 PM) *

DC, are you going to practice tonight?

Yes, bringing the kids, filming the kids tonight!

Manhole™ ~ photo for you ~ Training!

B. Apold
QUOTE (JoeLamarsh @ Mar 27 2009, 06:04 PM) *

Joe, is that Nelson back there coast'n? Looks like a 26"....practice maybe?
JoeLamarsh
QUOTE (B. Apold @ Mar 28 2009, 05:01 AM) *
Joe, is that Nelson back there coast'n? Looks like a 26"....practice maybe?

Why yes it is B. Apold. on his ever so clean Kos. Kubat behind Manning and not sure who is in the red helmet
Paul Springer
Fun night last night, we did a handful of old man gates. There was some paparazzi dude running around poppin pics. It was great to see Shad out there with a couple of his buddies, they were pretty fast. Kraker was having killer first straights leading them around, man is he cocky biggrin.gif

Keep the flood victims in your thoughts and prayers! angel.png
MN2Z
Multiple video's from Fri @ the Barn™ this is 1st.

Friday Barn™ #1

MN2Z
#2 Video's from Fri @ the Barn™

#3 Video's from Fri @ the Barn™

#4 Video's from Fri @ the Barn™

Scott, the gate wizard ~ don’t forget!

mikeauman
Great vid's, that was good time last night.Night like that really help with the stress that builds up all week long.

The one person that was missing in all those vid's was the man himself ( 2z ).
J.T.
Usually I don't line up with the guys but last night was fun seein' how many OSer's can go into the corner full tilt!

DC thanks for the footage and picture! Heal up and get back out on the track and have some OS fun!

Come and see outrageous gnarly action for Freestyle Motocross, BMX, and Skateboarding April 25th at the Target Center starting at 6:30 P.M. in Minneapolis.

See all the crazy action first hand vs. on TV with top riders including our own local BMXer,
Tom Haugen!

More details here !

It would be great to see everyone at an event like this and possibly getting together for dinner beforehand?

Let me know if you can make it and are up for dinner at 5:00.

Stay Rad,

JT
WBL BMXer - aka Chucky
QUOTE (Paul Springer @ Mar 28 2009, 07:50 AM) *
Fun night last night, we did a handful of old man gates. There was some paparazzi dude running around poppin pics. It was great to see Shad out there with a couple of his buddies, they were pretty fast. Kraker was having killer first straights leading them around, man is he cocky biggrin.gif

Just trying to stay away from the carnage.tongue.gif

Last night was a blast. Always great to see new faces coming out to ride.

Thanks for the video DC. I hope your arm gets better soon.
JoeLamarsh
BMX Talk break....

If any of you ever make it to So. MN you need to bring the kids and checkout Oxbow Park near Byron. Haven't been there for years.

Ok, done spamming myself. On with the Krack(er) talk
Jeff Manning
QUOTE (JoeLamarsh @ Mar 28 2009, 10:34 PM) *
BMX Talk break....

If any of you ever make it to So. MN you need to bring the kids and checkout Oxbow Park near Byron. Haven't been there for years.

Ok, done spamming myself. On with the Krack(er) talk

I wonder if these guys are effected by the current economy.. mellow.gif
mikeauman
how many guy's are showing up tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.